• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UO Writer:"Women dont call themselves "gamer" because its sexist, Women constantly stalked by men epidemic, Women should lead gaming communities."

StormCell

15 y old kid calls me a faggot = I laugh
Same kid calls woman a bitch = cry all around

People should not be so damn sensitive, why care about some random bastard? It just gives what they want, a reaction

Same kid calls woman a bitch = Feds ramp up thought police initiatives. Sensitive people everywhere rejoice until they become targets of the government.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
The author is a bit sensational. I don't disagree that girls get bullied in the gaming communities, but then so does just about everyone. At this point, I'd probably be eating a ban on a certain other forum for saying the truth, but the truth is that society is generally pretty nasty. If you think we need regulations to fix that, well you're wrong. I don't want to live in that kind of society. Go look at the forum that perfectly exemplifies what the author's world would look like. We don't need helicopter public servants policing at every turn. What we need is to be mature and self-confident enough to stand up to people and not let their crap slide.

Everyone should at least try to be excellent to one another. That a few people out there ruin it for others is a moral failing of the whole.

"everyone gets harassed" doesn't capture the casual misogyny that women often experience in online games but we should be nuanced enough to also consider

- how features like random matchmaking encourage bad behavior (non repeated interactions, no social consequences).
- adolescents are transgressive, directed towards status in peer groups, usually results in insults/denigration (put a group of boys together and they act like dogs marking up a fire hydrant)
- young males are desperate for attention from the opposite sex, do the online equivalent of pulling at pigtails on the playground (women/girls = the fire hydrant as above)
- cultural norms don't spring from gaming itself, they're a part of a broader culture online and off. as attitudes towards lgbtq groups changed in society it became less acceptable to casually use words like "faggot" as an insult. hopefully it also happens to common insults directed at women i.e. most people will think it's not cool, giving less cover to prejudice. but we can't expect kids to not find something else to be transgressive about

Last edited:
The summary I got from that woe-is-me article was:

"I was born with the thinnest skin, but instead of growing a thicker skin and understanding the world around me, I'll blame the big bad men. Bad men! Women good! Yes, that must be it!"

It always interests me seeing/reading/hearing all this victimhood, as all my life I cannot recollect a single female friend or colleague ever consider any of this as an issue. Do you know how they all react to insults and shit talking while playing games like CoD, Halo and Forza? They fucking join in with the "banter", give some back, laugh it off and enjoy themselves.

but the last thing we need is for women to go even further off the radar

The women I'm around today are mostly mothers in the late 20s/early 30s that have no need to slap themselves with a "gamergirl" label or hide their gender or identity in a game. They're ordinary people that enjoy playing games along with other hobbies. They can also, you know, handle life just fine and realise that people are dicks in general, including themselves at many times?
I wonder how this fragile person would react to some of the shit my friends/colleagues come out with while stomping your virtual face into the ground. Perhaps they might start concluding that toxic masculinity is starting to brainwash women?

Arkage

Banned
I don’t call myself a gamer either.

I can understand if you as a woman feel like the harassment you get online is because you are a woman. Honestly you need to stop being so self centered with how you look at the problem. I'm not trying to be mean saying it like that, I just don't know how else to.

The same people harassing you for being a woman would be harassing you if you were a man. They don't like you, what you post, what you think versus what they think. They single you out first because they don't like what you are saying, then they harass you for your gender, race, avatar, post count... whatever they can.

They aren't agreeing with you and what you think, then finding out your gender... then disagreeing with you. It's not how bullies operate.

It's not a "gaming" thing. It's that way with most fanbases.

Honestly platform holders (PSN, XBL, Twitter) just haven't done a good job enforcing a universal no harassment setting. But most give you the tools to ignore those individuals.

But if you are playing Siege for example and you don't clutch the 1v4 in casual in a lobby of randoms, you are gonna get harassed. If they know you are a woman, they will say sexist shit. But you will receive some kind of hate. And neither Sony nor Ubisoft is doing much about this.

I agree with most of what you say, with the one exception being your description of how bullies operate in relation to gender. While trolls may initially begin the trolling due to something you say regardless of gender, gender is an important factor in deciding how they go after you. If you're a woman they'll typically go for gendered insults like PMS/emotions/rape etc. If you're a man they'll typically go for nongendered insults like SJW/avatar pics/race. Women face more trolling and threats that go after their gender, and in particular sexual violence. This is likely due to typical patriarchal things, like how trolling men often threaten rape against a woman they disagree with but the vice versa just doesn't happen. When rape is used from one man to another it's in reference to another woman in his life (i.e. I'll rape your mother/wife/gf/sister/daughter).

15 y old kid calls me a faggot = I laugh
Same kid calls woman a bitch = cry all around

People should not be so damn sensitive, why care about some random bastard? It just gives what they want, a reaction

In neither case are those insults targeting or making fun of straight white males, which is the point. They are the privileged, untrollable demographic. All other demographics, and the slurs for them, are fair game for harassment and insulting those you don't like. And then straight white men wonder in shock why the extreme SJW crowd turned "straight white male" into a slur of sorts.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think I agree with the "those whiny babies have thin skin" point of view. I'm glad the few shooters I have played regularly like Battlefield don't have open voice chat. I like how text is more in use on PC because you have to go out of your way to read it. The one single time in a pub server that someone talked to me in Battlefield 4 it was some asshole screaming because we were losing in a video game. Fuck that.

I agree with most of what you say, with the one exception being your description of how bullies operate in relation to gender. While trolls may initially begin the trolling due to something you say regardless of gender, gender is an important factor in deciding how they go after you. If you're a woman they'll typically go for gendered insults like PMS/emotions/rape etc. If you're a man they'll typically go for nongendered insults like SJW/avatar pics/race. Women face more trolling and threats that go after their gender, and in particular sexual violence. This is likely due to typical patriarchal things, like how trolling men often threaten rape against a woman they disagree with but the vice versa just doesn't happen. When rape is used from one man to another it's in reference to another woman in his life (i.e. I'll rape your mother/wife/gf/sister/daughter).

100%. My point being that they target you, then decide how they are gonna harass you. As in they targeted you because they are a party of 4 in a 5 player game, and you're their random. You being a woman is a bonus for them. But they were gonna target the random.

If that makes sense.

wzy

Genuinely unsure if I've been insulted or praised.

I'm saying the people who invented gamer tags, gamer scores, gamer profiles, gamer drinks, and a whole arsenal of game-branded peripherals, electronics, and pop memorabilia want you to believe that [played Halo on Legendary] is a genuine cultural signifier and necessary part of the gamer identity, an identity they pretty much made up by re-packing "hardcore" gaming as a lifestyle brand for people with no inner self. The authentic "hardcore" element, to the extent that such a thing even exists, were all saying Halo was contard trash for casuals in its time.

I'm not saying they're right, I'm saying they make the rules. The two paths to authenticity are living through it and buying into it, and the people who traveled the former path think Halo sucks.

People shit talk to each other online, sorry ladies but it's not just because your gender, I'm sorry this does not makes you not special.

Last edited:

wzy

JUST AS I LEARNED TO BE ASHAMED OF MY GENDER AS A CHILD, BOYS LEARNED THAT THEY COULD DO AS THEY PLEASED.
I’m 23 now. I exclusively use the name “Ash” as a gender-neutral shortening of my full name. Gaming has been a large part of that decision. Yet even with this protection in place, I will sometimes be harassed by men who ask if I am a woman. I think that the mere fact of the name being neutral can give it away; some men seem to be constantly searching for the women who hide in their gaming circles.

When this is the community it stems from, it is no wonder that women avoid the label “gamer”. But even worse than the word “gamer” is the phrase “gamer girl”.

Just look at how insane this person is. She understands that things will be better if she doesn't go by "Ashley" (or whatever), but it doesn't even occur to her to do what every gamer on the planet has done since the first high scores were recorded--use an anonymous handle. This is a person who claims to not want to be a "gamer". Huh? She's so committed to being a gamer, its so much about her, that she's incapable of taking any steps that would make it not about her, i.e., by taking herself out of the question and just playing the goddamn videogame. She insists that this is something she wants to do, rather than wants to be, but all the things that would make it easier for her to play games make it hard for her to be a gamer.

This is not the behavior of someone who was taught to be "ashamed of her gender". I can almost guarantee, actually, that she was taught the opposite. She was taught that girls are awesome, that girls can do anything that boys can, and--most importantly--that she can be anything she wants, with the implicit message being that reality will simply adjust itself to her preferences. It didn't, and she can't.

Last edited:
no, but i've been in enough games to observe what happens almost every time a girl joins a game with open mics. many examples
I see. I mean, it would be bad enough generalizing the experiences of all women based on limited personal experience, but to generalize the experiences of all women based on what you assume their experiences to be because they are women would be... well, it would be... I mean, it'd be sexist, right? That'd make you sexist. Your entire white knight attitude is based on a dismissive view of the strength and capability of women, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts, most women would prefer you stop.

Also, what games are you playing that you are observing this stuff that you say is happening? I've never seen this rampant misogyny that is apparently plaguing the online world. Maybe it is my choice of games or how I play these games online. I mean, I've been playing online games since MUDs back in the early 90s, so maybe I've learned how best to choose my online communities. Maybe I'm so good at it that I'm doing it without even trying. This would suggest that the solution to this problem of toxic online games is completely solvable by the individual and doesn't represent a global crisis?

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Nah, just a White Knight trying to defend "Wahmen's Honor". Best to ignore them.

Assholes will be assholes and it doesn't matter what is between your legs or what you sound like. Grow a thicker skin and move on.

The logic is undeniable. Anyone that questions a culture that supports bad behavior must have ulterior motives. No need to make coherent arguments when you can use dumb insults like "white knight"

BTHR Zero X

no, but i've been in enough games to observe what happens almost every time a girl joins a game with open mics. many examples
And I can counter with I have been in a few games where it was females who were abusive to males.

I have been in a lobby with a few vocal female voices and when a male joined and said hello, to the person talking she attacked him saying "oh great now this little dick guy, thinking he has a big dick can try and hit on me".

The dude joined and said hello to those speaking. that was all. But I guess cases like that don't matter.

Or how about the case where some female gamers stalk male gamers? because I have had that one personally, and it caused the end of a relationship I was in.

It doesn't matter if the player is male or female

Males will harass anyone and females will do the same.

But more people will stand up for the female in the Male harassing a female, but more people will goad on a female harassing a male.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Engage with users' positions directly, not straw men you're inventing
I see. I mean, it would be bad enough generalizing the experiences of all women based on limited personal experience, but to generalize the experiences of all women based on what you assume their experiences to be because they are women would be... well, it would be... I mean, it'd be sexist, right?

That's an rhetorical move not a meaningful argument. Meanwhile you an others on this forum discount testimonials from women about their experience in games using tortured logic and close minded vitriol about "sjws". But ok im sexist for assuming all women have the same experience (what a silly argument).

edit: and to respond to the latter paragraph, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Overwatch, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six Siege, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc etc

Last edited:
others on this forum discount testimonials

As should anyone if there is no evidence behind the statement. Someone's word is not evidence enough and we should not just believe it. I've personally had something similar happen to me, a female colleague making shit up as she went along on social media and all her friends chewed it up as real information. I was thankful that I had plenty of CCTV and witnesses to prove her totally wrong and she ended up getting fired instead.

Edit: Well fuck, I thought I was in the another thread, nevermind.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
As should anyone if there is no evidence behind the statement. Someone's word is not evidence enough and we should not just believe it. I've personally had something similar happen to me, a female colleague making shit up as she went along on social media and all her friends chewed it up as real information. I was thankful that I had plenty of CCTV and witnesses to prove her totally wrong and she ended up getting fired instead.

yeah so? i've been in many multiplayer games. I'm not flying blind. meanwhile everyone ignores the rest of my post to argue with an imaginary person who thinks it's a all sexism

RedVIper

Banned

Men get harassed all the time when playing games, why should women get some sort of special attention?

Last edited:
Ironically, if "gamer" to you means male, whether you're some woke progressive or some misogynist who doesn't want to play with girls, it's YOU who is being sexist.

"Gamer" has no gender.

That's an rhetorical move not a meaningful argument. Meanwhile you an others on this forum discount testimonials from women about their experience in games using tortured logic and close minded vitriol about "sjws". But ok im sexist for assuming all women have the same experience (what a silly argument).
Which testimonials specifically are we discounting?

I discount generalizations, not personal experiences. Though, I sometimes doubt that as well, if it seems politically motivated and too good to be true, such as Jussie Smollett. I haven't been keeping up with that kerfuffle. I assume they found his MAGA assaulters and he's been vindicated on his entirely truthful testimonial?

And yes, creating generalizations about people based on their gender is kind of the definition of sexist. Since apparently this counts as an argument these days, Urban Dictionary defines "sexism" as "judging someone by their gender" as well as "attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender". God bless Urban Dictionary. Is there any debate you can't win?

edit: and to respond to the latter paragraph, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Overwatch, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six Siege, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc etc
Ah, well that would explain it, wouldn't it? That's kind of like judging the level of discourse of the internet based purely on Something Awful and 4Chan, isn't it? There's shit holes out there, and they are filled with shit hole people.

BigBooper

I've never felt the need to identify as a gamer. I've also avoided most gaming social stuff because of the negativity. I just don't try to socialize in multiplayer games, because it's a pretty constant stream of bad attitudes and cursing. I don't need it.

I think the negativity is just a part of semi anonymous online gaming, and these women are constantly told that they are victims so they make connections that aren't really there.

TLZ

Banned
Hey, I remember perfectly when I was a kid, no girl wanted to be around any boy who played games. They looked down on them like they were pests. They even said derogatory words to these boys sometimes. They didn't want to be seen with them. Even though they were all kids, all children, whoever played games were looked at like they're childish, by other children.

Many of these boys put up with that shit from girls, society, etc. It still exists to this day. These days many "gamer women" want to come around and switch all that around in their favor. Twisting stories and playing the victim.

Have you ever asked why some guys are frustrated with this? Maybe because they were/are the same kids who were ignored and treated like shit because they played games, as kids, you know, the same games adults like to label "they're for kids"? Yet they still got flak and labeled for playing? Those boys never cried loud about it, they just soaked it all up, put up with it and took it on the chin. Now "women gamers" want to take away all that from them, like no history exists, flip it on them and play the victim? Not only that, but cry the loudest on social media and articles? Fuck off with that shit. (I'm putting quotes around "women gamers" because I'm specifying certain ones that have nothing to do with gaming, but more riding the wave of fakeass social justice in this case. It's probably the same type of women who were always looking down on boys who played games. And obviously not all girls were/are like that, just the specific ones I mentioned)

What twisted twated world am I living in? Where was this social justice bullshit when I was a kid? No one gave a rat's ass. Maybe no one gives a rat's ass now either, unless you're a female or queer. This is why I'll never care and always be apathetic towards these fake, wave/trend-riding "SJWs".

Anyway, rant over.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Dont call those twitch / youtube girls who like to stream videogames gamers, because most of them dont even enjoy videogames.

From reading the OP I have difficult imagine how you let yourself be vunerable to be harassed by someone in videogames, seriously. I know that guys can be jerks when playing a girl online but come on, if you let yourself be subjected to that, you are no less than a dummy.

Same goes for dudes who get mocked online. Seriously. You dont need to subject yourself to that.

If I get mocked online, I either respond or simply mute the guy and continue with my gaming session.

Because nobody is gonna take way from me one of my favourite hobbies: playing videogames.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Hey, I remember perfectly when I was a kid, no girl wanted to be around any boy who played games. They looked down on them like they were pests. They even said derogatory words to these boys sometimes. They didn't want to be seen with them. Even though they were all kids, all children, whoever played games were looked at like they're childish, by other children.

Many of these boys put up with that shit from girls, society, etc. It still exists to this day. These days many "gamer women" want to come around and switch all that around in their favor. Twisting stories and playing the victim.

Have you ever asked why some guys are frustrated with this? Maybe because they were/are the same kids who were ignored and treated like shit because they played games, as kids, you know, the same games adults like to label "they're for kids"? Yet they still got flak and labeled for playing? Those boys never cried loud about it, they just soaked it all up, put up with it and took it on the chin. Now "women gamers" want to take away all that from them, like no history exists, flip it on them and play the victim? Not only that, but cry the loudest on social media and articles? Fuck off with that shit. (I'm putting quotes around "women gamers" because I'm specifying certain ones that have nothing to do with gaming, but more riding the wave of fakeass social justice in this case. It's probably the same type of women who were always looking down on boys who played games. And obviously not all girls were/are like that, just the specific ones I mentioned)

What twisted twated world am I living in? Where was this social justice bullshit when I was a kid? No one gave a rat's ass. This is why I'll never care and always be apathetic towards these fake, wave/trend-riding "SJWs".

Anyway, rant over.
I agree with you. I also had girls that laughed at me or treated me like a weirdo just because i liked games. I don't mind women playing games, i have friendships with some that i met in games, just don't bring this victim card, because we had to deal with it before, and we were't crying about it.

TLZ

Banned
I agree with you. I also had girls that laughed at me or treated me like a weirdo just because i liked games. I don't mind women playing games, i have friendships with some that i met in games, just don't bring this victim card, because we had to deal with it before, and we were't crying about it.
Exactly.

Barakov

T223cmA.jpg

> Conflating the gender-neutral term 'gamer' with some amorphous current-year 'men bad' narrative
> Quoting a random asshole's Urban Dictionary entry as some sort of empirical truth
> Acting as if open-mic chat with randoms isn't abusive and awful for anyone who isn't a belligerent asshole, regardless of what they have between their legs
> Clearly missing the boat on assassination of the gamer identity. Did this article fall through a time portal from 2014?

Id-pol drivel of the highest order.
Couldn't of said it better myself. It's crazy how how much Gamergate screwed with people.

-MD-

It's weird how my female friend can play any game she wants, stream with a camera on, get shit talked occasionally but be able to continue with her day without skipping a beat.

She uses a "girl" handle and talks on the mic as well, actually me as a male gets harrassed more than she does because I'm "playing with my e-girl". I think the solution is to simply stop being a pussy, stand up for yourself if someone is a dickhead or use the mute button to plug your ears.

Verdanth

What twisted twated world am I living in? Where was this social justice bullshit when I was a kid? No one gave a rat's ass. Maybe no one gives a rat's ass now either, unless you're a female or queer. This is why I'll never care and always be apathetic towards these fake, wave/trend-riding "SJWs".

Anyway, rant over.

This is also very true, even today. As an adult if you tell a girl you like playing videogames most of them see you as a nerd who does not have a life.

And do we whine about it? No we just keep on doing what we like.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Foh!!! Women should lead gaming communities? I think anyone passionate and qualified should whether female or male. Let's stop with this better than thou fucking narrative bs.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
This is also very true, even today. As an adult if you tell a girl you like playing videogames most of them see you as a nerd who does not have a life.

And do we whine about it? No we just keep on doing what we like.

giphy.gif
Haha. Awesome gif :messenger_beaming:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ah, well that would explain it, wouldn't it? That's kind of like judging the level of discourse of the internet based purely on Something Awful and 4Chan, isn't it? There's shit holes out there, and they are filled with shit hole people.

Some of the most popular games? I'm saying every fps I've played with team or server voice chat.

And just to spell out the implications of my original post because apparently no one read beyond the point they got triggered

- the first point about the structure of the game (creating an ecology for social interaction) spoke to that point. I was writing about fps games specifically because the link in op was talking about Call of Duty

- and in the next two points I mentioned adolescents to suggest that this isn't a problem that can be solved merely by "civilizing" gamers. Older people complaining about the bad behavior of kids need to take development into consideration

- and if sexist, harassing behavior is less of a product of "gamer culture" than the product of sexist attitudes in society, enabled by heavily male spaces being indifferent or tolerant to it, or adolescents being transgressive with impunity then demonizing gamers is a bit off base even if it's true that there is a more hostile environment for some people

- the one follow up comment then questioned the suggestion that we should grow a thicker skin i.e. accept shit heads in games. The MUDs you mention and later games like WoW are a more congenial environment because of repeated social interactions, discouraging assholes (and moderation as a last resort). In the absence of community and in a move away from fixed server based multiplayer devs have had to rely on moderation that some people might consider heavy handed, or limit chat to squad size or proximity (the latter might encourage having a laugh at others expense but probably less raging)

Last edited:
Man, almost 5 years later and they still can't get over it.

Anyone who wants to try paint all gamers or gaming culture as being only one thing is just wrong, flat out wrong.

Are there assholes out there? Sure, but there's assholes in literally every single group you can think of, gaming doesn't have a "problem" with it anymore than the human species has a problem with jerks being jerks, because jerks are gonna act like jerks no matter what the fuck you do, there's literally no stopping it.

The solution is that you learn to grow a thicker skin and put up with a little bullshit, because hey, that's life, the world does not revolve around you, you're never going to not have to deal with something you may not like sometimes, that's true of not just gaming but like, life in general, as I said.

If you don't love gaming enough that you're willing to put up with a little BS then this may simply not be the hobby for you, at least online gaming sure isn't, that may be harsh, but it's the truth.

petran79

Banned

Not just from girls but boys too. I remember some kids threatened to beat me in an electronic store because they wanted to play Nintendo OG Gameboy. Nintendo family friendly my ass.....
Arcades were another thing most girls would not dare enter either, due to the notoriety and dirt.

Also the insults they hear about their gender are nothing compared to insults about family members, sexual preferences and skin color. Had they heard them, they'd leave in tears in few seconds.
I was at a net cafe with teens and those type of comments are common nowadays among them and no one cried in dismay and left.

Good luck trying to compete with teens....

royox

"everyone gets harassed" doesn't capture the casual misogyny that women often experience in online games but we should be nuanced enough to also consider

- how features like random matchmaking encourage bad behavior (non repeated interactions, no social consequences).
- adolescents are transgressive, directed towards status in peer groups, usually results in insults/denigration (put a group of boys together and they act like dogs marking up a fire hydrant)
- young males are desperate for attention from the opposite sex, do the online equivalent of pulling at pigtails on the playground (women/girls = the fire hydrant as above)
- cultural norms don't spring from gaming itself, they're a part of a broader culture online and off. as attitudes towards lgbtq groups changed in society it became less acceptable to casually use words like "faggot" as an insult. hopefully it also happens to common insults directed at women i.e. most people will think it's not cool, giving less cover to prejudice. but we can't expect kids to not find something else to be transgressive about

I'm a guy and I've been insulted in so many ways i can't feel any kind of empathy for those "poor gamer girls" that are "harassed" by 13 years old.

>Grow up
>Mute + block
>Grow a toughter skin

Gosh I just do it automatically
>Join Overwatch game
>10 years old voice "-REEEEEEEE YOU ARE A-"
>Instantly mute+block
>Have a fun game, since we meet again.

ITS
NOT
THAT
HARD

I don't identify as a gamer because of sexists women who constantly harass and belittle you, while imposing an injunction in being a "grown-up" man or doing stupid activities like watching football, or being stupid because being geeky is unsexy.

So fuck her. Also why even share it and give it a tribune here. Are we going to post any tumblr or Era post of this nature here now?

Now that videogames are a cool thing and we are not wankers or nerds anymore, we should leave the chair to whoever the fuck wants to jump in no matter how badly they have shitted on videogames and "gamers" alike before.

It's so greatly wrong that the last one to join the party be the one telling the others how they should behave. Earn your spot by own merits or fuck off.

Raven117

Gold Member
I'm a guy and I've been insulted in so many ways i can't feel any kind of empathy for those "poor gamer girls" that are "harassed" by 13 years old.

>Grow up
>Mute + block
>Grow a toughter skin

Gosh I just do it automatically
>Join Overwatch game
>10 years old voice "-REEEEEEEE YOU ARE A-"
>Instantly mute+block
>Have a fun game, since we meet again.

ITS
NOT
THAT
HARD
True, but do you have to put it with every single time you are online? (Probably not).

While I think the article is way overblown, there is definitely a real problem with pretty rough online chatter to all parties, with women being berated even more than average.

TYRiAX

I dont call myself a gamer because while it is true (ie a human that plays games) its not something that defines me as a human. I mean I don't go around calling myself a breather either.

I do agree that women get harrassed way more then men but that is true in all forms of communication, and while that sucks gaming has nothing to do with it

True, but do you have to put it with every single time you are online? (Probably not).

While I think the article is way overblown, there is definitely a real problem with pretty rough online chatter to all parties, with women being berated even more than average.

No, this is simply not true.

We ALL have endured plenty of crap online. This is how the world works, either for right or wrong. Even on games with good mood like Rocket League you have to put up with the usual "noob" accusations from trolls and much worse stuff.

I don't give a pass to these rat kids who act like this but making conspiracy and victimization theories out of this is not only out of proportion but wickedly manipulative and ill-intended.

If we had to bring to public attention every time a guy is harrassed over online gaming or the likes, we could fill up a 24/7 news channel and still would not cover half of it.

I bet she's got green hair and stinks of cat piss ... Some people just arnt nice too eachother especially in a competitive setting it's been the same since the dawn of time you won't eradicate it ever but in gaming there are tools like the "mute" button and so on that can be used so use them

People I know in real life are just not like that, I mean, most guys play games...
Sometimes you get the impression that what they call "men being able to to what they please" is just saying "hi, would you happen to be a girl", I mean they did not even get to the guy being creepy or anything (I did not read all of them)... I mean, some types of games are mostly played by guys, so it kind of bring attention (sometimes un-wanted attention) to the outliers, just like a white dude going out in a mostly black neighborhood... and yeah, some guys will give you some unwanted attention, so long as it remains that, and even if annoying... what's the point of this? some females crave this attention, should they be deprived of it because some other females don't want any of it at all - EVER?

Now guys, don't hit on my GF when she plays online or I'll find and make you pay for it! /s

HarryKS

Didn't call myself a gamer because I'm old enough to have grown up in an environment where it was nothing to be proud of, and in retrospect, rightly so.

But all this time, I was a woman, without knowing it.

Top Bottom