• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UO Writer:"Women dont call themselves "gamer" because its sexist, Women constantly stalked by men epidemic, Women should lead gaming communities."

wzy

We aren't talking about just the user. We are talking about how to address this on a much broader scale.

You know exactly what I mean. Either you are for companies taking more active steps like banning to curtail this nonsense, or you are aren't. If you aren't, then why? (And its not a public place....its a private online game more like a bar).

What steps would you take to prevent online trolling?

Mercer_CAR

Banned
women who literally had almost nothing to do with the creation of the video game industry should just be handed this multi-billion dollar industry because they feel objectified and like outsiders..... Apply this logic to:

Politics/ sports/ corporate world/ acedemia etc.....

royox

We aren't talking about just the user. We are talking about how to address this on a much broader scale.

You know exactly what I mean. Either you are for companies taking more active steps like banning to curtail this nonsense, or you are aren't. If you aren't, then why? (And its not a public place....its a private online game more like a bar).

Last time I checked most mutiplayer games are banning players for bad behaviour. Overwatch, LoL, Fortnite, PUBG, WOW, FFXIV to say some examples of games running today.

RedVIper

Banned

Because companies won't put the resources into doing it and will end up taking a shotgun style approach and people who didn't deserve to get banned will get banned.

Because the definition of what's problematic gets broader every day, everyone will have a diferent one.

Because trash talking is fun, it happens in real life and it should be allowed online, but there's no nuance, a bot will just look at what you said and decide you need to get fucked.

If this was to be implemented in any form, ban the user from communicating. Shittalking someone on league of legends? Perma ban chat. Keep saying slurs on voice coms, youre no longer allowed to speak.

And a appeal system would be good too, but that's optimistic.

cormack12

Gold Member
IYour post is terrible. You think that online gaming is some rite of passage. It isn't. They are games and more importantly, products. I would argue that companies are the ones that should police their own serves on what they want to allow and what they wont. Sorry you don't play WOW (I never have). This was a lost subscription to Blizzard. IF a company wants to crack down on it. So be it. Its a good thing that will make the hobby bigger.

It looks childish because people are discussing it sensibly, and then when you post something like that it sticks out. Contextually, you could be said to be starting trouble in this thread and the developers (mods) should remove you for it. That's the stance you're taking. I think you're an idealist - I don't really have a problem with this but like most things it's a very airy fairy top down 'fix' to a problem, that won't work.

First, let's leave gender out of this because it's a distraction ok. Let's talk about how you appear to see things

• First, you see impolite verbal exchanges as harassment or not nice? And developers (or unknown entity) should police this environment to make sure this doesn't happen. There is this free, happy place where everyone treats each other well and gives each other support or encouragement.
  • Second, you are only viewing one narrowly focused view of what 'harassment' is. To be honest, you are coming across as somewhat naive and inexperienced from the days of community servers. Public speaking was never really a thing on PC's. You had Vent and TS2 etc. Now there is discord. Mostly it was press 'y' or 't' to speak in general or team. Harassment back then was strafe blocking snipers to steal their weapon, flash banging your own team, offensive sprays, ramming people off the track, team killing, ganking, corpse camping, glitching, aimbots etc. All these things eventually causing people to leave servers or logout and return later.
I get what you're saying and I even think it's commendable but it's not realistic. Also, you're not taking into account those people who enjoy that aspect of the game. Some people like 'trash talking'. It elevates the wins and enforces rivalry. Some people like to give people on their team a kick up the ass if they are flagging or costing the team a victory. This happens in real sports as well. Take a night out with friends, we'll play pool and wind each other up something rotten but it's in good spirits. People get pissed off while they're playing and shout/get frustrated but when the game's over it's over.

So let's take a game with long standing mates, let's just say generic FPS 101. So an exchange might be

'Boom, headhsot'
'Shurrup nobhead'
'Why you mad bro?'
'Oh just fuck off. I'm gonna fucking hunt you down and teabag you, you twat'

How do you quantify that?

The onus is on the developer to give tools to players to easily mute and remove obnoxious players on voice chat, and to design games where the old methods of trolling have penalties. You are going to enter games where people are vastly different to you and want different things from the game. If you are in battlefield and you have someone who wants to be the first placed squad and you're dicking about on a hill with a sniper rifle on a CQC map then you will be called out, and probably not very nicely. Similarly, if you're playing FIFA, trailing one nil, couple of minutes left and you're passing between centrebacks expect a 'Orange, what the fuck are you doing. Hit it forward.'

That's what people are saying to you. And you're not acknowledging it.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

If you want to lead gaming communities you have to build them, instead of trying to hijack already existing ones and then complaining when people react negativelly to changes you make.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I wish there would be an international forum (as in Roman), an international centre where this discussion can take place and all its variants related to it. Only there, so that only the people who are truly interested should participate.

This sentiment even catched up into my local newspaper. In the early days, you would discuss this over and that would be the end of it.

Today, everything has to be appropiated, balanced, inclusive, divers and everyone feels entitled, offended, influenced by these things. That shit needs to end. This human rights/SJW/Gender discussion should be a focussed one and not one where every little thing like an ant colony comes to do their part. Any and all intellectual discussion gets lost when everyone is spread out over the same topic.

Raven117

Gold Member
Because companies won't put the resources into doing it and will end up taking a shotgun style approach and people who didn't deserve to get banned will get banned.

Because the definition of what's problematic gets broader every day, everyone will have a diferent one.

Because trash talking is fun, it happens in real life and it should be allowed online, but there's no nuance, a bot will just look at what you said and decide you need to get fucked.

If this was to be implemented in any form, ban the user from communicating. Shittalking someone on league of legends? Perma ban chat. Keep saying slurs on voice coms, youre no longer allowed to speak.

And a appeal system would be good too, but that's optimistic.
It looks childish because people are discussing it sensibly, and then when you post something like that it sticks out. Contextually, you could be said to be starting trouble in this thread and the developers (mods) should remove you for it. That's the stance you're taking. I think you're an idealist - I don't really have a problem with this but like most things it's a very airy fairy top down 'fix' to a problem, that won't work.

First, let's leave gender out of this because it's a distraction ok. Let's talk about how you appear to see things

• First, you see impolite verbal exchanges as harassment or not nice? And developers (or unknown entity) should police this environment to make sure this doesn't happen. There is this free, happy place where everyone treats each other well and gives each other support or encouragement.
  • Second, you are only viewing one narrowly focused view of what 'harassment' is. To be honest, you are coming across as somewhat naive and inexperienced from the days of community servers. Public speaking was never really a thing on PC's. You had Vent and TS2 etc. Now there is discord. Mostly it was press 'y' or 't' to speak in general or team. Harassment back then was strafe blocking snipers to steal their weapon, flash banging your own team, offensive sprays, ramming people off the track, team killing, ganking, corpse camping, glitching, aimbots etc. All these things eventually causing people to leave servers or logout and return later.
I get what you're saying and I even think it's commendable but it's not realistic. Also, you're not taking into account those people who enjoy that aspect of the game. Some people like 'trash talking'. It elevates the wins and enforces rivalry. Some people like to give people on their team a kick up the ass if they are flagging or costing the team a victory. This happens in real sports as well. Take a night out with friends, we'll play pool and wind each other up something rotten but it's in good spirits. People get pissed off while they're playing and shout/get frustrated but when the game's over it's over.

So let's take a game with long standing mates, let's just say generic FPS 101. So an exchange might be

'Boom, headhsot'
'Shurrup nobhead'
'Why you mad bro?'
'Oh just fuck off. I'm gonna fucking hunt you down and teabag you, you twat'

How do you quantify that?

The onus is on the developer to give tools to players to easily mute and remove obnoxious players on voice chat, and to design games where the old methods of trolling have penalties. You are going to enter games where people are vastly different to you and want different things from the game. If you are in battlefield and you have someone who wants to be the first placed squad and you're dicking about on a hill with a sniper rifle on a CQC map then you will be called out, and probably not very nicely. Similarly, if you're playing FIFA, trailing one nil, couple of minutes left and you're passing between centrebacks expect a 'Orange, what the fuck are you doing. Hit it forward.'

That's what people are saying to you. And you're not acknowledging it.
Been busy today. I will try and respond to these more fully.

That said, the absolute irony of you suggesting moderation remove me is... well..... let’s say I got a good laugh at it. (Not at moderation, whom is remarkably great nowadays but that you would suggest it.... then turn around, use as hominm (sp) attacks. Regardless, you did make some good points and gave some thought into your post. I will respond in kind when I get more than a few minutes.

Top Bottom