• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Movie "Cracka" Puts Blacks As Slave Owners And Whites As Slaves

North Africa is the Maghreb, and has not been historically black. Obviously some black people were present in the empire, but the muslims in Spain as well as their rulers were mostly middle eastern or berbers.
I think the issue we're having here is that I'm using the common European/ English definition of Moor, which has been used specifically in describing European history by lumping all the various ethnicities in the Moor's empire together, as that was the European perspective on it, since I'm specifically talking about them in Europe.

Meanwhile you're using Moor in the context of their own empire and culture, which obviously has a very different meaning. Both are accurate, but have different contexts.

Moor was a word interchangeable for black and Muslim because that was the reality for most of those in Europe. Again, there's a reason we know of so many black Spaniards after the Moors were no longer around, who were specifficqlly referred to as Moors even though they were now Christian Spanish citizens.

But yes, it is more accurate to say it was various different ethnic groups from Africa and the Middle East doing the invading, conquering, colonising and enslaving of Europeans.

But the fact remains that those invaders included enough black Africans that Europeans started to use the word 'Moor' to refer to all black people generally after, regardless of religion.

Semantics aside, and the point that I was originally making still stands.

Slavery is not a white/European invention, and has existed everywhere, throughout human history, with said white/Europeans being on the receiving end of it just as much as everyone else was.

North Africa is the Maghreb, and has not been historically black. Obviously some black people were present in the empire, but the muslims in Spain as well as their rulers were mostly middle eastern or berbers.

Barbary Coast Raiders are a whole other White Slavery story. One you never get taught in school.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
I guess you can't answer my quiz question then?

If you typed in readable English, people might take you up on answering whatever your question was.
Lol, sack of shit, i know my place and it's in the stratosphere compared to someone who would say something as stupid as "Europe=whites without blacks/Africa=blacks without whites"

I can't imagine what kind of upbringing could produce someone deluded enough to make a statement like that. Don't care if some mod defends your daft but, apparently, elite statement by warning or even banning me, that's just pure stupidity.

Are you saying that Europeans don't come from Europe? That Africans don't come from Africa? I guess you could consider North Africa as European if you squint hard enough and tilt your head to make the definition fit, but it's generally not considered that way.

The moors were from the Maghreb, Levant, and Arabian peninsula, and their descendents are the Arabs in that region. A bit of a stretch to describe them as black.

I think the issue we're having here is that I'm using the common European/ English definition of Moor, which has been used specifically in describing European history by lumping all the various ethnicities in the Moor's empire together, as that was the European perspective on it, since I'm specifically talking about them in Europe.

Meanwhile you're using Moor in the context of their own empire and culture, which obviously has a very different meaning. Both are accurate, but have different contexts.

Moor was a word interchangeable for black and Muslim because that was the reality for most of those in Europe. Again, there's a reason we know of so many black Spaniards after the Moors were no longer around, who were specifficqlly referred to as Moors even though they were now Christian Spanish citizens.

But yes, it is more accurate to say it was various different ethnic groups from Africa and the Middle East doing the invading, conquering, colonising and enslaving of Europeans.

But the fact remains that those invaders included enough black Africans that Europeans started to use the word 'Moor' to refer to all black people generally after, regardless of religion.

Semantics aside, and the point that I was originally making still stands.

Slavery is not a white/European invention, and has existed everywhere, throughout human history, with said white/Europeans being on the receiving end of it just as much as everyone else was.

I knew exactly what you were getting at; only the European Colonial slave trade is ever talked about. The Islamic, Asian, and African slave trades are typically swept under the rug. D Dr.Guru of Peru is choosing to be obtuse, methinks.

Cant wait to see white people try and do a cake walk with no rhythm

dirilis ertugrul success GIF by TRT

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
So how was it a little racist?

Genuinely interested

Racism: The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

And it was a joke. :messenger_fearful:

INC

Racism: The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

And it was a joke. :messenger_fearful:

Sorry cracka.......

White people are inferior where rhythm is concerned

Wouldn't that still be Caucasian? i can't keep up either
Yes.

Caucasians, which is the actual race white people are, include half the 'brown people' the woke say are being oppressed by 'white privilege'.

From the furthest points north in Europe, through the Middle East, to as far east in Asia as Bangladesh, are all actually the same racial group.

It's another reason why racism is so fucking stupid, and why anyone trying to argue their physical appearence, or minor ethnic grouping, is some great defining characteristic, that totally seperates them from others, is talking out of their arse.

Last edited:
But if the movie was funded and controlled by white people does this count as a real white slave movie?

Maybe we should allow black people to make a legit 5th or 6th media company of the 4 or 5 that exists so they can make one? This is not a thinly disguised statement calling for actual competition in the media industry, no sir big brother please remove the unmarked van from in front of my house.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Looks fun, I love me some alternate history

But isn't the word cracker based on the facts whites crack whips? Or am I misunderstanding that name?

That is one of the possibilities but it also has to do with being boasters or braggards, and loud speakers.

Benjamin Franklin, in his memoirs (1790), referred to "a race of runnagates and crackers, equally wild and savage as the Indians" who inhabit the "desert[ed] woods and mountains".

I am trying to think of a race of people that haven't enslaved another race of people or their own race just a different tribe. I mean the Chinese are currently using slaves of their own people and "undesirable" religious groups. In the world today there are estimated 21 million slaves, we would do well to work on freeing them, over power fantasies from past wrongs.

Last edited:
The confusion above is what happens when you try to justify the term race over an actual real thing like Ethnic group. One hasn't ever changed and one has changed multiple times in the last 100 years, excluding or including some groups based on bias or convenience.

Jtibh

Banned
Lol, sack of shit, i know my place and it's in the stratosphere compared to someone who would say something as stupid as "Europe=whites without blacks/Africa=blacks without whites"

I can't imagine what kind of upbringing could produce someone deluded enough to make a statement like that. Don't care if some mod defends your daft but, apparently, elite statement by warning or even banning me, that's just pure stupidity.

Tschumi

Are you saying that Europeans don't come from Europe? That Africans don't come from Africa? I guess you could consider North Africa as European if you squint hard enough and tilt your head to make the definition fit, but it's generally not considered that way.
Tell me brother, have you heard of our lord and saviour Strawman?

Edit: if you don't know why that statement is insanely stupid then you too need to hand back your adult license until you've read a middle school level book

Last edited by a moderator:

Ornlu

Banned
Tell me brother, have you heard of our lord and saviour Strawman?

Edit: if you don't know why that statement is insanely stupid then you too need to hand back your adult license until you've read a middle school level book

I'm happy to debate whatever you want, in good faith. I never really know what you're trying to say, though.

If you want to have a go, I'm game.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Wait, so this movie isn't just another whitewashed film with pale actors taking traditionally black roles? Whew. Woke Hollywood would have been up in arms about that.

Seriously, I really enjoy alt history books like those by Harry Turtledove, but as a movie this just looks sub-SyFy bad. The big question is will it be cringe-bad or campy fun? We'll have to wait and see.

Politics aside, it's an interesting idea but I think it would have been better realized as a novel written by a traditional writer and not some hack.

Wait, so this movie isn't just another whitewashed film with pale actors taking traditionally black roles? Whew. Woke Hollywood would have been up in arms about that.

Seriously, I really enjoy alt history books like those by Harry Turtledove, but as a movie this just looks sub-SyFy bad. The big question is will it be cringe-bad or campy fun? We'll have to wait and see.

Politics aside, it's an interesting idea but I think it would have been better realized as a novel written by a traditional writer and not some hack.
Honestly, I can think of a really straightforward way to have it work, just move the history of Ghana back a few centuries, and have their expansionist imperialism have gotten to the America's and foreign trade routes first, leading to them raiding Europe for additional slave labour to send over to their colonies in the US, which then had the same kind of independence-revolutionary war as the British colonies had.

Top Bottom