• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

BTA

Is Net High actually good? It's always seemed like a thing people desperately want but I've never heard whether it's actually worth that.

What I saw of the entire concept was always super offputting to me - trying to dig up people's private lives just to prove them wrong because of what they said online - but that's also partially because it came out about a year after Gamergate started, when it was still more of a presence than it was now, and I was not exactly looking forward to XSEED marketing that material to the GG supporting part of their audience. Another 2 years removed from that and I might be able to be convinced it's worth playing despite the bitter taste it'd probably leave in my mouth.

Crows released for PS4-only eventually. I think it was sub 10k in sales in Japan, hence why I called it a flop (because it didn't look like the cheapest of games to make).

Wow, I honestly had no idea this was ever released, and I'm usually pretty on top of import game releases. Oh well, that's one to import with City Shrouded in Shadow then!

Anyway, finally finished Tokyo Xanadu today. Surprisingly decent story twist at the end of the game, I mean most of the story is your normal Anime fare, but the twist was pretty cool. Then you get a pretty lengthy extra "epilogue" chapter which is really just the real final chapter with one long assed boss fight! Great stuff, really enjoyed my time with the game, doing a Game + run so that I can clear up a couple of challenge based trophies since I enjoyed the gameplay so much. Can't be assed with stuff like the friends/recipe lists though, that's just annoying busy work! Doing my run on Nightmare + Infinity difficulty so I've no idea how difficult this'll end up being. Got the first 3 chapters down though!

Is Net High actually good? It's always seemed like a thing people desperately want but I've never heard whether it's actually worth that.

What I saw of the entire concept was always super offputting to me - trying to dig up people's private lives just to prove them wrong because of what they said online - but that's also partially because it came out about a year after Gamergate started, when it was still more of a presence than it was now, and I was not exactly looking forward to XSEED marketing that material to the GG supporting part of their audience. Another 2 years removed from that and I might be able to be convinced it's worth playing despite the bitter taste it'd probably leave in my mouth.

I mean... from the premise I never really got the impression of "doxxing" or bullying people for saying (or being) things you personally disagree with. To me it looks more like bringing down people who lied and cheated their way into the upper class, and a commentary on the unfairness of social classes in general (especially with the absurd dystopian future where social class is practically determined by how many Twitter followers you have).

Basically these are criminals that you bring down with evidence, Ace Attorney style. Plus, it's super stylish!

BTA

I mean... from the premise I never really got the impression of "doxxing" or bullying people for saying (or being) things you personally disagree with. To me it looks more like bringing down people who lied and cheated their way into the upper class, and a commentary on the unfairness of social classes in general (especially with the absurd dystopian future where social class is practically determined by how many Twitter followers you have).

Basically these are criminals that you bring down with evidence, Ace Attorney style. Plus, it's super stylish!

I guess my thought is that all social media (and to some degree literally any social interaction) is, consciously or unconsciously, performative. This is not to say that people should lie or manipulate others, but I'm wary of anything that pushes for forcefully tearing down the wall someone's built between their physical and internet presences as if one or the other is the actual "truth". Particularly when groups like GG make a point of trying to do such things arbitrarily in harmful ways.

Which is to say that knowing more about the setting/context could go a long way to making it less uncomfortable. If it is actually about social class and manipulation, that could be interesting. Maybe that just wasn't conveyed enough in what I saw about it. It seemed to me like it was about someone dragging "normies" down with them rather than any kind of revolutionary act against the upper class, but I guess I didn't realize the "Net High" title literally meant the entire society revolved directly around the internet, hah.

Jimrpg

2017 caught me by surprise all-around. i think it's one of the best years in gaming (possibly the best) and the vita happened to benefit from that. in 2016, it didn't seem at all like there would be a market in 2017 for the machine, but the sheer volume of games hitting constantly on ps4 that had vita counterparts made it easier to support it. however, the decline from 2016 was still noticeable. the biggest thing is that only online retailers carry games anymore, aside from gamestop. 2018 is going to be a big shift because the switch is basically like what a successful sony platform would be like for third parties. games for japanese devs out in the west are selling like psp titles were in 2005-2008. and the system has been on the way out even in japan, with sony going out of their way to denounce handhelds as a viable platform (yikes). i also think it speaks volumes as to what kind of company sony is when things get tough. they dropped support from this thing wholesale in order to chase the vr dragon - a half-assed, more costly venture with a much smaller userbase. they would have been better suited at seeing what the marketplace really responds to or finding a way to deliver actual ps4 games portably. not only did nintendo eat their lunch in this realm, but they showed what kind of platform provider they are by backing the obviously failed wii u into 2016 and stretching the final bit of support into the next platform's launch, when they could have turtled up around 3ds instead. the contrast is pretty striking to me and it's had a lasting impression to people with some say in the platforms that get support.

I think the reason why Sony withdrew support from Vita so early is because the initial sales were poor both in Japan and the west, and combine that with the sales performance of the PSP, Sony had enough data that their current handheld strategy wasn't viable in the face of the incoming growth of the mobile market. I believe another reason they stopped first party support was to stop fragmentation of both the users and the developers. Devs like Sony Bend or Ready at Dawn, who worked on portable titles were freed up to do PS4 titles and get more content on the main platform.

The chasing of VR and the development of the PS4 Pro points to who Sony really appears to be chasing -> PC Gaming. That's why there has been no response from Sony on a similar product to the Nintendo Switch, because Sony don't want to jump back into portable gaming. Maybe one day when the hardware becomes powerful enough that you can have the same piece of hardware play the same game at a level that Sony is happy with but its not there yet.

Even if Nintendo 'eats their lunch' in this segment of the market for now, I think Sony will begrudingly give it up in order to chase the potential of PC/Online/Social Gaming. Steam growth hasn't slowed down in a long time and games like PUBG are adding more users to gaming without really subtracting to the overall userbase. The PS4/PS4 Pro combo will give them a combined 100m units when its all said and done and the Switch is starting from a long way back (only 5m now? vs 60m for the PS4).

retailers don't look at the overall demand for a product and order accordingly, like i think they should. instead, they order per sku. so a limited edition ordering really well at retail means that standard edition orders will be a lot lower, because people will only preorder the limited edition. unless you're atlus and essentially make the limited edition available in enormous quantities. this philosophy extends to everything out there, including games on different platforms. if a company was to hog all the vita fans to themselves, it's likely there would be fewer ps4 sales, which is in turn harmful for the company and their ability to support the fans of that genre or franchise in the future.

Interesting but totally understandable. Exactly what happened with Koei Tecmo earlier this year when they stopped bringing games to the west after Toukiden 2. With a lot of games not getting a Vita release in the west despite a Japanese version announced, I'm not really expecting too many releases in the west for 2018 for the Vita (which has been said too many times in this thread, I apologise!) :)

AniHawk

I think the reason why Sony withdrew support from Vita so early is because the initial sales were poor both in Japan and the west, and combine that with the sales performance of the PSP, Sony had enough data that their current handheld strategy wasn't viable in the face of the incoming growth of the mobile market. I believe another reason they stopped first party support was to stop fragmentation of both the users and the developers. Devs like Sony Bend or Ready at Dawn, who worked on portable titles were freed up to do PS4 titles and get more content on the main platform.

The chasing of VR and the development of the PS4 Pro points to who Sony really appears to be chasing -> PC Gaming. That's why there has been no response from Sony on a similar product to the Nintendo Switch, because Sony don't want to jump back into portable gaming. Maybe one day when the hardware becomes powerful enough that you can have the same piece of hardware play the same game at a level that Sony is happy with but its not there yet.

Even if Nintendo 'eats their lunch' in this segment of the market for now, I think Sony will begrudingly give it up in order to chase the potential of PC/Online/Social Gaming. Steam growth hasn't slowed down in a long time and games like PUBG are adding more users to gaming without really subtracting to the overall userbase. The PS4/PS4 Pro combo will give them a combined 100m units when its all said and done and the Switch is starting from a long way back (only 5m now? vs 60m for the PS4).

i think my issue with sony is that they don't have any original ideas of their own. in the past, that was their strength. they were able to take what worked elsewhere and improve and market it to some strong success. but that only used to be the case. i'd say their online subscription, the idea of having one but offering 'free games' was truly the last good improvement they've made. everything else has been super wishy-washy and half-assed. the problem with move, and vita, and vr is that they don't put their main teams behind them. they don't believe in the product that much. nintendo has ead working on ds, wii fit, and wii motion control games, or supporting 3d on the 3ds (a link between worlds, super mario 3d land), or developing on the gamepad. microsoft set rare to work on kinect games (to great success, initially). sony puts b and c-tier teams on handheld projects, motion control games, and vr. they don't actually care about those segments, and even if the tech is great, the passion isn't there.

so when i see them dropping vita for vr it comes across as another cynical cashgrab in the same way nintendo's tablet idea was supposed to finally turn all those casual users into hardcore fans. except here it's not supported with any software to indicate they truly believe it's the future, just that they want in on something popular.

sony could have made the switch. the vita and the wii u were both approaching the same conclusion from different angles. nintendo just needed to take the wii u gamepad portable and sony just needed to combine the idea of the vita tv and the vita itself as a single concept. in the end it was nintendo who made the push and backed their concept with some truly forward-thinking by adding value to the machine in making it a portable screen with detachable controllers. and of course they backed it with their best games.

and i think this is the massive flaw for sony moving forward. they don't have any single direction except 'i want what the pc is having'. that might fit their studios better, especially since sony is so driven by image and presentation. but it doesn't necessarily fit all aspects of their business. this is why ultimately i think vr is a doomed prospect for them, as is ps now, unless they make a massive shift and try to center their business around those propositions instead.

Shizuka

i think my issue with sony is that they don't have any original ideas of their own. in the past, that was their strength. they were able to take what worked elsewhere and improve and market it to some strong success. but that only used to be the case. i'd say their online subscription, the idea of having one but offering 'free games' was truly the last good improvement they've made. everything else has been super wishy-washy and half-assed. the problem with move, and vita, and vr is that they don't put their main teams behind them. they don't believe in the product that much. nintendo has ead working on ds, wii fit, and wii motion control games, or supporting 3d on the 3ds (a link between worlds, super mario 3d land), or developing on the gamepad. microsoft set rare to work on kinect games (to great success, initially). sony puts b and c-tier teams on handheld projects, motion control games, and vr. they don't actually care about those segments, and even if the tech is great, the passion isn't there.

so when i see them dropping vita for vr it comes across as another cynical cashgrab in the same way nintendo's tablet idea was supposed to finally turn all those casual users into hardcore fans. except here it's not supported with any software to indicate they truly believe it's the future, just that they want in on something popular.

sony could have made the switch. the vita and the wii u were both approaching the same conclusion from different angles. nintendo just needed to take the wii u gamepad portable and sony just needed to combine the idea of the vita tv and the vita itself as a single concept. in the end it was nintendo who made the push and backed their concept with some truly forward-thinking by adding value to the machine in making it a portable screen with detachable controllers. and of course they backed it with their best games.

and i think this is the massive flaw for sony moving forward. they don't have any single direction except 'i want what the pc is having'. that might fit their studios better, especially since sony is so driven by image and presentation. but it doesn't necessarily fit all aspects of their business. this is why ultimately i think vr is a doomed prospect for them, as is ps now, unless they make a massive shift and try to center their business around those propositions instead.

Do you think Sony would ever react to the Switch’s success and create a similar console?

AniHawk

Do you think Sony would ever react to the Switch’s success and create a similar console?

i think it would need to be like the wii where it's an unavoidable part of the marketplace. switch would need to be so successful that it's overshadowing what sony's efforts would be. that doesn't seem likely, but i am sure the switch is going to be at least more popular than the 3ds, and maybe even psp.

for sony to create something different they would either need to completely shift focus away from their current plans or split their development resources again. the most i could see them do is improve ps now to the point where you could stream to pc, ps5, and some handheld sony device that could also dock with your tv, but doesn't play any games of its own. it would be token hardware just to pretend they know what that segment of the market wants.

oldmario

rebuilt the database on my 64gb vita memory card and more than half of the skittles have disappeared, i'm gonna need to format it aren't i?

rebuilt the database on my 64gb vita memory card and more than half of the skittles have disappeared, i'm gonna need to format it aren't i?

I did that, and some of them don't show because you can only have 100 on screen at a time. So if you put them into folders then turn off and turn back on again, it may fix it.

Alternatively, sometimes they do just disappear, in which case you may need to rebuild again yeah.

Powwa

I think one big obstacle in the way of portables is the management behind Sony. As long as people like Andrew House (well he has resigned a few days ago I think) and Shu Yoshida are in charge I don't see a new handheld for Sony. They are very conservative and mostly against the side projects of the company.

oldmario

I did that, and some of them don't show because you can only have 100 on screen at a time. So if you put them into folders then turn off and turn back on again, it may fix it.

Alternatively, sometimes they do just disappear, in which case you may need to rebuild again yeah.

i got most of my icons to reappear inserting the memory card after i had turned it on but i think it's probably safe to say that my 64gb is dying

autoduelist

To be fair, I can see where where autoduelist is coming from. I know you just try to keep expectations down or whatever, but you only ever seem to come in this thread to tell us xyz isn't happening; V

I'm not some optimistic 'everything is fine' type of person. Obviously the vita has had a far longer run than most ever expected, and obviously it's eventually going to peter out. But I just see no value in being the person who needs to remind people of that every chance they get. I like drpgs. I hope they all come to the west. Of course some won't. Maybe even none... but as I mentioned, people claimed we'd never get SoSC, DG2, and plenty of others. We did. Maybe we won't get any more... but there's no need to kill hope. It doesn't hurt me in any way to hope we get Coven. I'm not going to be suddenly devastated in 2024 when I finally come to terms with the fact that it won't happen. If we get it, we get it. If we don't, we don't. The last thing I need is someone thinking they're somehow 'helping' in some way being negative about it.

i think my issue with sony is that they don't have any original ideas of their own. in the past, that was their strength. they were able to take what worked elsewhere and improve and market it to some strong success. but that only used to be the case. i'd say their online subscription, the idea of having one but offering 'free games' was truly the last good improvement they've made. everything else has been super wishy-washy and half-assed. the problem with move, and vita, and vr is that they don't put their main teams behind them. they don't believe in the product that much.

I view Sony's tactics slightly differently. I think Sony puts a hell of a lot of R&D behind 'new'/'original' ideas. You can see blatant hints [honestly, hints isn't even a strong enough word] of Move as early as PS2, for example, and Move itself was clearly made with VR applications in mind.

Now, in some cases, they probably think a product isn't quite 'ready for prime time'. Certainly, I think that's what happened with motion controls... and then Nintendo simply scooped up the market with the wii with motion control that -clearly- weren't ready for prime time [waggle!] but the market ended up not caring because 'waggle' ended up being good enough to create a fad. So then Sony had to chase that market by releasing the Move.

And you're right, they never fully backed the Move. Now, I don't see that as 'not believing in the project'. I think they simply knew the Move was a halfway step to VR, and also just wanted a small 'in' to the Wii's market.

But that doesn't mean they weren't 'original'. Or that they're just chasing other ideas. The Move was already their baby, already in the R&D pipeline... they just had no plans to release it until they thought it was ready [until Wii forced their hand].

Same with VR, honestly. They've clearly been planning that out for a long time, and I bet they would have preferred to wait a couple more years. But the VR fad forced their hand.

I guess what I'm arguing is that Sony is generally ahead of their time. They are a gadget company, afterall, and they've got plenty of things in R&D. I just think they're a bit conservative in when they think something is ready - they tend to like to release 'perfect' gadgets... that is, clean, tech-y gadgets [from the Walkman on up to the Vita]. You wouldn't see them release something like the Wii or Switch, even if you can see the same ideas swirling around and peculating [many of the things Switch fans champion are the same things they boohoo'd on Vita - who wants a portable console game, people said... oh, wait, now everyone does. Or vita remote play. Etc,].

So in the market, it ends up looking like Sony is chasing Nintendo [or VR, or whatever] but the tech, imo, shows they were actually often leading the charge behind the scenes.

Which brings it back to 'why aren't they backing it enough'? I think with the Vita, early sales told them a dire story, and they didn't want to risk it. With VR? I don't own one, but it seems like they -are- backing it heavily.

There's also a lot of people that don't seem to want Sony to 'risk' it. Why is everyone so negative about a new portable, for example? Or VR? People say they want Sony to be more daring, then say Sony should stay out of market x, y, and z.

I think Sony -should- release a new handheld, partly because I don't think they should leave a market on the table for Nintendo to dominate, partly because I think leaving a hole in your ecosystem is dangerous for leakage, and mostly because I'm greedy and want a new handheld. Give me a tablet sized device with buttons, vita/ps1/2 bc, android... but that would be daring, that would be risky, so people yell at Sony to just stay out of handhelds altogether.

In the console market, Sony can't reinvent themselves every gen like Ninteno seems to want to. Sony fans expect a hi-tech console - sleek, trim, modern in both design and architecture. Heck, that's why the Vita -still- looks hi-tech from a visual perspective. Nintendo has successfully insulated themselves from the need to be hi-tech. Without the need to have cutting edge tech, they've freed themselves to try to grab onto ideas like motion control, tablets, hybrids. You can't have a hybrid like Switch at the level the PS5 needs to be [tech required for PS5 couldn't be handheld]. But you -can- have it at the level Nintendo needs to put to market, which frees Nintendo to be 'innovative'.

So, to me, it's not about 'innovation' at all. Or, at least, Sony -is- innovating. They just can't release products at the same point in the cycle that Nintendo can. Given the same exact idea had at the same time, Sony needs to wait a year or two for tech to 'catch up' to their idea, whereas Nintendo doesn't. But to think their R&D dept isn't already thinking about these things seems a bit odd to me - clearly, they are. VR, for example, has clearly been in their sights since Palmer Luckey was practically in diapers. They just needed tech to catch up.

AniHawk

I view Sony's tactics slightly differently. I think Sony puts a hell of a lot of R&D behind 'new'/'original' ideas. You can see blatant hints [honestly, hints isn't even a strong enough word] of Move as early as PS2, for example, and Move itself was clearly made with VR applications in mind.

Now, in some cases, they probably think a product isn't quite 'ready for prime time'. Certainly, I think that's what happened with motion controls... and then Nintendo simply scooped up the market with the wii with motion control that -clearly- weren't ready for prime time [waggle!] but the market ended up not caring because 'waggle' ended up being good enough to create a fad. So then Sony had to chase that market by releasing the Move.

And you're right, they never fully backed the Move. Now, I don't see that as 'not believing in the project'. I think they simply knew the Move was a halfway step to VR, and also just wanted a small 'in' to the Wii's market.

But that doesn't mean they weren't 'original'. Or that they're just chasing other ideas. The Move was already their baby, already in the R&D pipeline... they just had no plans to release it until they thought it was ready [until Wii forced their hand].

Same with VR, honestly. They've clearly been planning that out for a long time, and I bet they would have preferred to wait a couple more years. But the VR fad forced their hand.

I guess what I'm arguing is that Sony is generally ahead of their time. They are a gadget company, afterall, and they've got plenty of things in R&D. I just think they're a bit conservative in when they think something is ready - they tend to like to release 'perfect' gadgets... that is, clean, tech-y gadgets [from the Walkman on up to the Vita]. You wouldn't see them release something like the Wii or Switch, even if you can see the same ideas swirling around and peculating [many of the things Switch fans champion are the same things they boohoo'd on Vita - who wants a portable console game, people said... oh, wait, now everyone does. Or vita remote play. Etc,].

So in the market, it ends up looking like Sony is chasing Nintendo [or VR, or whatever] but the tech, imo, shows they were actually often leading the charge behind the scenes.

Which brings it back to 'why aren't they backing it enough'? I think with the Vita, early sales told them a dire story, and they didn't want to risk it. With VR? I don't own one, but it seems like they -are- backing it heavily.

There's also a lot of people that don't seem to want Sony to 'risk' it. Why is everyone so negative about a new portable, for example? Or VR? People say they want Sony to be more daring, then say Sony should stay out of market x, y, and z.

I think Sony -should- release a new handheld, partly because I don't think they should leave a market on the table for Nintendo to dominate, partly because I think leaving a hole in your ecosystem is dangerous for leakage, and mostly because I'm greedy and want a new handheld. Give me a tablet sized device with buttons, vita/ps1/2 bc, android... but that would be daring, that would be risky, so people yell at Sony to just stay out of handhelds altogether.

In the console market, Sony can't reinvent themselves every gen like Ninteno seems to want to. Sony fans expect a hi-tech console - sleek, trim, modern in both design and architecture. Heck, that's why the Vita -still- looks hi-tech from a visual perspective. Nintendo has successfully insulated themselves from the need to be hi-tech. Without the need to have cutting edge tech, they've freed themselves to try to grab onto ideas like motion control, tablets, hybrids. You can't have a hybrid like Switch at the level the PS5 needs to be [tech required for PS5 couldn't be handheld]. But you -can- have it at the level Nintendo needs to put to market, which frees Nintendo to be 'innovative'.

So, to me, it's not about 'innovation' at all. Or, at least, Sony -is- innovating. They just can't release products at the same point in the cycle that Nintendo can. Given the same exact idea had at the same time, Sony needs to wait a year or two for tech to 'catch up' to their idea, whereas Nintendo doesn't. But to think their R&D dept isn't already thinking about these things seems a bit odd to me - clearly, they are. VR, for example, has clearly been in their sights since Palmer Luckey was practically in diapers. They just needed tech to catch up.

while it's true they probably have been preparing for the market for a while, i think it speaks volumes to their lack of preparedness and belief in a platform that they only put it out when the market forced their hand. and by belief, i really mean by backing it with their software and best teams. they don't do that. santa monica studios, naughty dog, and whatever other main studios there are will focus on the high-end market exclusively. there's no coordination between whoever is coming up with these tech ideas and the designers who work on the software that should sell the hardware. nintendo was fucking around with 3d for a decade before 3ds and they also came in while there was a hot fad in a similarly cynical move. of course the difference is yet again, they backed it with software and despite a crap start, the system was able to get some footing and take off.

with the vita, sony had given up on handhelds at some point in 2007 or so. i'd argue a bit earlier actually, with umd not turning out to be what dvds were to home consoles. it leads me to wonder why they bothered to follow psp up with the vita unless they thought some segment of the market would automatically be theirs simply for putting forth a device. i feel like they thought they'd at least get monster hunter and that would be enough for a base in japan to kickstart a library worldwide, similar to nintendo thinking they had the casual market to themselves and that a tablet and stereoscopic 3d would be enough to sell hardware.

i see a lot of sony putting forward vr and vita and psp and move in conferences and they will have playables on the show floor, but the end result is that they don't put the same level of effort that microsoft or nintendo do behind their big hardware pushes. as dumb as the wii u was, nintendo had committed to supporting it for four years with a couple titles being pretty good proofs of concept (splatoon and super mario maker, both which arrived far too late). sony couldn't get to three years before they were done and the best they did was have media molecule put something on it (which was, to be fair, sony's best game in 2013).

autoduelist

while it's true they probably have been preparing for the market for a while, i think it speaks volumes to their lack of preparedness and belief in a platform that they only put it out when the market forced their hand. and by belief, i really mean by backing it with their software and best teams.

Well, like I said, I think Sony had plans to put the Move out a few years after it actually went out. I don't think it 'speaks volumes' to anything... there is noway they could have predicted the Wii's release, let alone runaway success.

I'm not sure that makes them 'unprepared'... it just means they were forced to react to the market. You view that as some sort of 'bad mark' against Sony, but I don't view it as anything. They were clearly R&D'ing motion controls and didn't think they were quite fully baked yet. Wii changed that. Reacting to changing markets is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think if Vita came out of the starting gate a bit stronger, it would have been backed by their 'best teams'. But it didn't. When the market doesn't respond to the device, a large/solid launch lineup, high profile games like Uncharted/etc... well, yeah, they didn't throw good money in after bad. Maybe they should have. Maybe it was a lost cause.

I don't see how any of that affects what we're talking about. We can talk about why the Vita failed all day, but it doesn't change the discussion - Sony is constantly on the cutting edge of tech, they clearly R&D like crazy... just because you say they lack innovation doesn't make it so. If we're both designing the same thing, and your willing to put out a low res version [because your market supports it] before I can get the hi res version out [because my demographic wants that], it doesn't mean you're more innovative than me, it just means current tech supports your vision before it supports mine.

deadfolk

We can talk about why the Vita failed all day

Failure is relative. I, and I'm sure you and the others around these parts have spent more time playing our Vitas than any console in this generation and possibly ever.

Sony made the device and sure, they were not the ones to support it with a worthwhile catalogue - but others stepped in and did an admirable job for many years.

Sony may consider it a failure and I'm sure the AAA publishers that threw some half-hearted support at it feel the same. But I don't.

And I think you feel the same - or you wouldn't be here. :)

AniHawk

Well, like I said, I think Sony had plans to put the Move out a few years after it actually went out. I don't think it 'speaks volumes' to anything... there is noway they could have predicted the Wii's release, let alone runaway success.

I'm not sure that makes them 'unprepared'... it just means they were forced to react to the market. You view that as some sort of 'bad mark' against Sony, but I don't view it as anything. They were clearly R&D'ing motion controls and didn't think they were quite fully baked yet. Wii changed that. Reacting to changing markets is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think if Vita came out of the starting gate a bit stronger, it would have been backed by their 'best teams'. But it didn't. When the market doesn't respond to the device, a large/solid launch lineup, high profile games like Uncharted/etc... well, yeah, they didn't throw good money in after bad. Maybe they should have. Maybe it was a lost cause.

I don't see how any of that affects what we're talking about. We can talk about why the Vita failed all day, but it doesn't change the discussion - Sony is constantly on the cutting edge of tech, they clearly R&D like crazy... just because you say they lack innovation doesn't make it so. If we're both designing the same thing, and your willing to put out a low res version [because your market supports it] before I can get the hi res version out [because my demographic wants that], it doesn't mean you're more innovative than me, it just means current tech supports your vision before it supports mine.

the point is less about the quality of the tech and more about the conviction behind it. sony didn't believe in the move enough when the technology would have been ready because they weren't going to put their top teams behind the software needed to make it a success. they can have it at as many conventions and try out as many demo stations as they want, but if they're not going to make it the front-and-center of their strategy going forward, then why should i care? i'm actually surprised third-parties stuck with them as long as they did after they publicly dropped first-party support from the vita. but then i've long known sony didn't really give a shit about the handheld market aside from making neat tech.

autoduelist

the point is less about the quality of the tech and more about the conviction behind it. sony didn't believe in the move enough when the technology would have been ready because they weren't going to put their top teams behind the software needed to make it a success. they can have it at as many conventions and try out as many demo stations as they want, but if they're not going to make it the front-and-center of their strategy going forward, then why should i care? i'm actually surprised third-parties stuck with them as long as they did after they publicly dropped first-party support from the vita. but then i've long known sony didn't really give a shit about the handheld market aside from making neat tech.

I honestly think you're missing my point completely. I'm saying they released the Move a year or two ahead of schedule because they had to respond to the market. You're quote "sony didn't believe in the move enough when the technology would have been ready" is missing my point -- it wasn't ready. it was good, sure, and 'good enough' for the time, but I'm arguing it wasn't where Sony wanted it to be, if they had their way. We'll never know if they would have believed in the Move more when they thought it was ready, because it didn't happen. And that's why it wasn't fully backed - they didn't want to release it then, they had to. They would have liked to have waited.

They were forced into release VR a few years early too, if you ask me, though they are supporting it better. That doesn't mean they weren't innovators in the field, just that they [smartly] have to respond to major shifts in the industry that force their hand.

And of course they were never going to make move the 'front and center' of their gaming strategy. That would be reading their core audience completely wrong. Just because you want them to do that doesn't mean it's a smart move, or what the general populace wants. The vast majority of gamers are perfectly happy with the standard two analog stick, 4 trigger, d-pad controller. Sony isn't moving away from that anytime soon. They might add something like a touchbar with the PS4, or whatever, but they are not Nintendo and would never release a device like the Wii as their primary console. I don't blame them. Nintendo has a different market than Sony does. It always has.

AniHawk

I honestly think you're missing my point completely. I'm saying they released the Move a year or two ahead of schedule because they had to respond to the market. You're quote "sony didn't believe in the move enough when the technology would have been ready" is missing my point -- it wasn't ready. it was good, sure, and 'good enough' for the time, but I'm arguing it wasn't where Sony wanted it to be, if they had their way. We'll never know if they would have believed in the Move more when they thought it was ready, because it didn't happen. And that's why it wasn't fully backed - they didn't want to release it then, they had to. They would have liked to have waited.

They were forced into release VR a few years early too, if you ask me, though they are supporting it better. That doesn't mean they weren't innovators in the field, just that they [smartly] have to respond to major shifts in the industry that force their hand.

And of course they're not going to make move the 'front and center' of their gaming strategy. That would be reading their core audience completely wrong. Just because you want them to do that doesn't mean it's a smart move, or what the general populace wants. The vast majority of gamers are perfectly happy with the standard two analog stick, 4 trigger, d-pad controller. Sony isn't moving away from that anytime soon. They might add something like a touchbar with the PS4, or whatever, but they are not Nintendo and would never release a device like the Wii as their primary console. I don't blame them. Nintendo has a different market than Sony does. It always has.

sony doesn't need to do anything. they chose to release an unfinished version of their original plans for move and vr ahead of schedule if that is the case. they chose to react instead of wait longer. it's their fault for poor planning, lack of vision, bad game design or overall strategy. that's my point. they didn't have to make a handheld, but they did. and when they did, they didn't respect the division enough to give it the support it actually needed. vr is still something relatively new, but judging on what's happened in the past, i feel like we know the end of the story already.

Jimrpg

Sony are an incredibly 'reactive' company and there are positive and negative aspects of this. I guess the positives are that they can make something 'better' than the competition at times, like the PSP or the Vita in terms of hardware performance. That doesn't necessarily mean the product does well though.

The biggest problem I have with Sony is that they react to the market and this is where most people say they have no 'faith' in their product. In my opinion, they have no idea if its good or not, but they'll throw it out there and see. And that's why they never seem like anything is well planned. If it sucks, they'll just forget about supporting it.

I bet that Sony will quietly pull out of VR after next year, I don't know how many units it sold, but $800 entry point if you include the console AND VR headset is difficult. I feel like VR is playing out just like 3D did.

FDC1

https://twitter.com/COWCATGames/status/917737665784680450

I'm porting XENON VALKYRIE+ to #PSVita! Roguelite Platformer/RPG, MUCH improved over PC version!

DLx1Jw-W0AI91Le.png

Anyone tried activating 3 vita systems with a single account and playing games on all of them?

I'd like to use my account on 3 Vita 2000/2006 models. no psp no ps tv.

I keep reading conflicting info.

Anyone tried activating 3 vita systems with a single account and playing games on all of them?

I'd like to use my account on 3 Vita 2000/2006 models. no psp no ps tv.

I keep reading conflicting info.

I've not tried 3 myself, but I have 2 Vita's working perfectly fine with the same account.

FDC1

I think Vita and Playstation TV count as 2 different systems?

I think you can have 2 PSV and 2 PSTV using the same account but don't take my words for granted.

I think Vita and Playstation TV count as 2 different systems?

I think you can have 2 PSV and 2 PSTV using the same account but don't take my words for granted.
They both count as Vita, you can have 3 Vita-type systems total.

Used to just be 2 Vitas allowed before they released the PSTV.

deadfolk

https://twitter.com/COWCATGames/status/917737665784680450

I'm porting XENON VALKYRIE+ to #PSVita! Roguelite Platformer/RPG, MUCH improved over PC version!

Looks great!

Same!

As long as it's not as bad as S;G in some aspects, it should be okay.

I loved all aspects of S;G - even the stuff most people hated. I'm more wary simply because I can't see it being as good. Having said that, I know literally nothing about C;C, so it will be interesting going in cold anyway.

BTA

Same!

As long as it's not as bad as S;G in some aspects, it should be okay.

Just going based off of Chaos;Head, if the issue you have is fanservice (my issues with S;G were mainly with that and
"but he's a guy!!!"
), there will be some of that and it will probably be based on your choices.

But I feel like the large jump in quality from C;H to S;G, and then the vague improvement to S;G 0, means that Child will probably be at least slightly better about that stuff (since it came out before 0)?

Top Bottom