• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading from PS4 to PS5 is worse than upgrading a PC

Skifi28

Just as you can do on PS5.
Pretty much. I believe I've also had in one game the major issue of the console starting to download both the PS4 and PS5 versions so I had to put the effort of canceling the version I didn't want.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure there are individual issues that can crop up much like with any launch console, but I think this has been the most seamless of transitions to a new platform I've ever experienced. Basically plug and play. I hear it's even better on xbox, but if this is the worse of the two I'm pretty pleased.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
If you have trouble building a new PC, you can easily buy an assembled one. Or pay some extra for the shop to build your components for you.

It's not like you can buy PS5 parts and build the console yourself.

This is relevant because...? What does that even mean in the context of this discussion?

As a reminder, the thread's title is:

Upgrading from PS4 to PS5 is worse than upgrading a PC​

OP wrote this:
For PC, its just a matter of opening the case and replacing the component. After that everything works.

So no, we are very obviously not discussing whether buying a pre-built PC or making somebody else change your components is easier than moving stuff from a PS4 to a PS5 yourself.

Also, that would be a dumb point anyway, because I could just reply that you can also pay somebody else to do your PS4-PS5 migration. It's like entering a discussion whether it's easier to repair your car or your bicycle, and arguing "Well duh, the car is super-easy, you just call your mechanic and you're done".

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hard a hard time getting destiny 2 to download. At the start (dunno if it was fixed yet) there was no way to tell what version you were downloading so had to guess based on the size of the file. Of course downloading the old gen version of a game just to tag the save for new gen is stupid, feels like something you would have to do when moving from say steam to epic on PC not something you should have to do in the same eco system.

I’m sure we are going to get paid remasters of ps4 games for a while so hope they figure something out. Limited ssd space is already an issue.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This OP is using false equivalency by comparing changing a single component in a PC (assuming a very happy path) to migrating from one system to another.

I'm sure there are many scenarios with upgrading or replacing a PC with a new one is more hassle than getting up and running on a PS5 from a PS4. It would be interesting to see a race between the two, take a 10 game library on PS4 and the same 10 games on PC and see which one can get up and running on all of those 10 games quicker on a PS5 and new PC respectively.

Sw0pDiller

when i installed my ps5 i only needed my phone with the ps app and the external ssd with all of my ps4 games. i got psplus (who doesn't at this point?) and i was gaming and enjoying the system about 10 mins later. My PS5 asked me if i wanted to go ahead and download fortnite or Bugsnax while i was setting up the system.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Im PC all day every day and your thread makes no sense. If you limited your PC upgrade to only GPU maybe.

Good luck replacing your CPU or MOBO and have everything "just work" as you describe above.

You can reuse your HDD with all hundreds GB of installed games and saved data, as well as peripherals even if you replace your CPU or MOBO.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Last PC issue I had was a failing cooler clamp that caused the PC to shut down unexpectedly. Mechanically was a "nothing" fix, trouble is that windows recovery screwed up and deleted my entire boot config and its backups, creating the unending recovery loop issue and ensuring that literally the only way to recover was a complete reformat and reinstall.

Nothing worked. Restore-points didn't work because it had lost the attached account credentials, cloud install didn't work because ... no idea. Had to download and create a new install iso, make a bootable USB stick (because the image is now too big to fit on a single-layer burnable DVD), and go through all the faffing about of installing/setting-up/patching windows then re-syncing all my accounts, re-downloading apps and recovering my lost files (all intact).

Windows sucks.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I've built PCs for 20 years.

No way. It's actually pretty rare that "everything just works".
The OP mentioned upgrades like upgrading the GPU. But even with new PCs, your games do just work on the new one if you copy over your saves and redownload or point steam to your game drive, etc.

The issue here is that the PS5 does this worse than the XSX, but in reality most people don't give a fuck and just start fresh.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You make it sound like there is a big hurdle to upgrading
I don't get it, you just click on download where it says free upgrade 🤔

Wizz-Art

Jim Ryan scrolls through Neogaf and sees this video

If you guys can't understand why ArtHands ArtHands is struggling with his PS5 then you should watch this

His reaction

4TNuMYg.jpg

Continues to read the thread and sees Sony Defence Force in full swing...

vmki87N.jpg

wOs

Technically upgrading a pc is also putting it together, making sure the bios works with your cpu if it's a brand new release, installing windows. All easy enough stuff, but my experience also upgrading to a Ps5 around the same time was super simple too.

They are split into 2 versions because the PS Store is integrated with the OS this time. Also, while there were some issues, they have been fixed and there shouldn't be any problems to prioritize PS5 version on PS5. Not an issue.

So you are complaining about playing PS4 games on PS5 (who would want that?) but you want to use the DS4 on PS5 games? Every time since the NES, every new console use their own new controllers. I don't see the issue. Why would you expect any different now? Because you don't want to spend money?

If PS1, PS2 classics, etc are not supported, and Sony has stated that since the announcement of the PS5, why would you expect it? and get disappointed about it? That one is your fault.

So you expect every PS5 upgrade to be free? Just because? Also, is up to developers, not Sony.

Also up to developers, not Sony.

Again, every new console since the SNES have used a new controller. Why would you expect to use a PS5 version (not BC) of a game to work with old controllers? Want to use DS4? use the PS4 version through BC. Not an issue.

Personally, I can't believe we live in an age where people complain about things that have worked perfectly for years, but somehow they are not ok with it now? Why? I get changing something that worked to something that doesn't, or remove feature that was great, or stuff like that, but the other way around and complain that something works the same way for years? That is weird.

Xbox store is the same on both the one and series s/x.
I can use xbox one controllers on series s/x
i can play original and 360 games on series s/x
if he upgrades his video card in his PC then he can increase the graphics sliders to make the game look better and it will also run better. that was the OP point

again, not every new console since snes forces new controllers since Microsoft has allowed us to use the xbox one peripherals on the series s/x. was awesome buying an elite controller and it working perfectly with my series x.

Personally, i can't believe we live in an age where people blindly defend companies and hate on other for asking for quality of life improvements. being "OK" with something just because "that's the way it worked for years" would completely halt innovation. I agree with the OP for the most part and want Sony to continue pushing the boundaries to improve my PS5 and PS6 for that matter.

LordOfChaos

Idk why people made fun of cross delivery as a feature, but something like that is exactly what's needed to sort out the PS4/PS5 game split, confused me a bit at first too.

evanft

I was able to easily transfer my PS4 saves and games to my PS5. I had my PS4 games on an external SSD that worked when plugged into the PS5 and I transferred the save games I wanted using a USB stick. I could have used the network transfer but I didn't need to move absolutely everything so I just used a USB stick.

I had everything up and running in like an hour. Anyone who has trouble with this shouldn't be allowed to vote.

LordOfChaos

I've not had a PS5 (native app) version read any PS4 game save I've spent any significant time with. Playing a PS4 Game on PS5 reads the save files fine. Playing the PS5 version of that same game does not. Spider Man, NIOH 2 and THPS all took booting the PS4 Game, selecting the export option and then booting the PS5 Game.

Hm, do enhanced versions count? Destiny is kind of different I guess because it's all network based, but Rachet and Clank PS5 patch? God of War unlock?

Or is this only a thing when there's a full native mode on the upgrade pyramid? So far I've never encountered an issue with accessing my PS4 saves on games enhanced/unlocked/patched for PS5

SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h.jpg

Last edited:
At least compare a full PC upgrade with a new windows installation.

A new console is still less of an issue--however to transfer your game files could be tricky is you don't have ps+ or you perform the wrong back-up type. Which is what I did, I had to go to a friend's place, backup their PS4 on a USB drive... Recover mine... Perform the right type of save files backup from the PS4... Recover my friend's backup to his machine... Thankfully we had not talked face to face in a while because of the measures, so we had a lot of catching up to do!

But yeah, messy.. but the PC can be worse for this.

SLB1904

Banned
I just uploaded all of my saves on PS+ cloud long before I bought the PS5, then I just downloaded games to PS5, and all saves were there. It's not rocket science.
so are telling me there is no drama? did you just upload your saves and then download in to your ps5? what sorcery is this ?

RCU005

Xbox store is the same on both the one and series s/x.
I can use xbox one controllers on series s/x
i can play original and 360 games on series s/x
if he upgrades his video card in his PC then he can increase the graphics sliders to make the game look better and it will also run better. that was the OP point

again, not every new console since snes forces new controllers since Microsoft has allowed us to use the xbox one peripherals on the series s/x. was awesome buying an elite controller and it working perfectly with my series x.

Personally, i can't believe we live in an age where people blindly defend companies and hate on other for asking for quality of life improvements. being "OK" with something just because "that's the way it worked for years" would completely halt innovation. I agree with the OP for the most part and want Sony to continue pushing the boundaries to improve my PS5 and PS6 for that matter.

First of all, Xbox has only allowed to used old controllers ONCE. This is the first time they do it, so you can't act as if they have been doing it forever. This is something completely new.

Secondly, Why do people want every company to be exactly the same? Xbox has this, why doesn't PS have it? Netflix has this, why doesn't HBO Max has it? Apple has this, why Android doesn't have it?

Why does everyone want everything to be the same? Sometimes is not about QOL improvements, it's just that different companies do things differently.

Also, the Xbox store working on both consoles seems more lazy than "consumer-friendly".

anaphase

just got my ps5 last weekend. I wiped and sold my ps4 pro a couple weeks back...

Are you seriously saying I lost my GOW save file? Wtf.

Not gonna lie I didn't even look into it because XSX handled it so seamlessly I thought it was the norm.

Fucking hell, I beat all the valkyries and all.

Genuinely pissed about this one.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
just got my ps5 last weekend. I wiped and sold my ps4 pro a couple weeks back...

Are you seriously saying I lost my GOW save file? Wtf.

Not gonna lie I didn't even look into it because XSX handled it so seamlessly I thought it was the norm.

Fucking hell, I beat all the valkyries and all.

Genuinely pissed about this one.
Do you have PS+ cloud saves?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
At least compare a full PC upgrade with a new windows installation.

A new console is still less of an issue--however to transfer your game files could be tricky is you don't have ps+ or you perform the wrong back-up type. Which is what I did, I had to go to a friend's place, backup their PS4 on a USB drive... Recover mine... Perform the right type of save files backup from the PS4... Recover my friend's backup to his machine... Thankfully we had not talked face to face in a while because of the measures, so we had a lot of catching up to do!

But yeah, messy.. but the PC can be worse for this.

I prefer the Series X method of accessing your old saves:
Turn the console on

nordique

Sure, maybe

but it only cost me appx 257$ CAD with tax included to upgrade my ps4 to ps5...

So. I mean. $ difference.

Last edited:

Fbh

Seems like a lot of drama for some small inconveniences.

And the comparison isn't really accurate anyway.
On PC you are just upgrade one or more components of your existing hardware.
On console you are buying a whole new machine. It's not an upgrade, it's 100% new hardware. It's just from the same brand as your previous one.

You are comparing changing the tires on your existing car vs buying a whole new car from the same brand.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
For me it was moving my PS4 4TB USB drive over and DLing some free PS5 versions of PS4 games. Super hard.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I only had issues when I tried to transfer installed game data. Just transferring saves had no issue and was pretty quick.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I've built PCs for 20 years.

No way. It's actually pretty rare that "everything just works".

Yup. RMAs because a capacitor decided to fry, probably due to shoddy solder on the MB. DOA GPU. It happens. There is a reason some people call it the hardware lottery. I've been building since 96, myself and have run into many problems. That first boot is always intense. At least it is for me.

On the one hand sure it would be nice if dualshock 4 was supported by PS5 games. But on the other hand new console generations are SUPPOSED to be paradigm shifts. Sony doesn't want fragmentation they want everyone on the new controllers so that devs actually support the new features.

Neff

I found it pretty painless overall, even if it didn't exactly work like it was supposed to (it seemed to be quite selective about what it did and didn't transfer). The only thing which annoyed me was that it wouldn't let me carry over my screencaps and saved clips. Apart from that, it was efficient enough.

FStubbs

How did you upgrade from ps3 to ps4?
This gen, the transition from previous gen to next gen is much smoother, in the history of Playstation. I agree they need to up their games in the BC department. I wish they invest more on BC rather than porting shits to PC.
I dunno, I remember sticking a PS2 game into my launch PS3 and it just worked.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea
Top Bottom