• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading from PS4 to PS5 is worse than upgrading a PC

anaphase

Do you have PS+ cloud saves?
Not sure? I guess I'll look into it. I didn't maintain a ps plus sub. Had it for about a yr then cancelled. When I played Gow I did not have ps+ at all.

So I'm guessing no.

There goes any chance of ng+. I don't wanna have to beat the base game again.

LastBattle

The whole ecosystem thing was one of the reasons I went with Series X first this gen. I already have a bunch of Xbox one controllers and love the fact i
Can use them on the new console. The
Wife and kids love to play multiplayer games, so no need to spend nearly $300 aud on new controllers.

What? You plug your new console in, press a few buttons, and all your games and saves transfer over wirelessly. I've never had an easier upgrade. If it transfers over a PS4 game instead of a PS5 one you can just delete it and redownload the correct version from the store.

dcx4610

While I'm a PC gamer, I'm still gonna defend consoles here. Going from PS4 to PS5 would be like building a brand new PC. It's not like putting a new GPU or upgrading a component on your PC. Granted, the quality jump isn't massive but from a hardware perspective, you are building a new machine with all new parts.

One thing I think Microsoft did really well though is how the XSX basically uses the same OS and once you sign in, it pulls all of your settings and library from your previous console. That's about as good as it gets.

One thing consoles do desparately need to work on going forward is backwards compatibility. If I build 1 or even 10 PCs, all of my apps and games work. It doesn't matter if I'm on an i5 or an i9 processor. They just work. Now that PCs and consoles are on the x86 platform, there is no reason at all that backwards compatibility shouldn't just be a given going forward. The notion that "This is a Xbox One" or "This is a PS4 game" needs to die. They should just be Xbox and PlayStation games. It shouldn't matter what gen they came from. They just work and are part of the library.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What? You plug your new console in, press a few buttons, and all your games and saves transfer over wirelessly. I've never had an easier upgrade. If it transfers over a PS4 game instead of a PS5 one you can just delete it and redownload the correct version from the store.
Takes me maybe 5 mins top to plug in those SATA SSD to transfer my entire installed games library. I don’t need to waste hours transferring, nor need to care about downloading last gen versions on PC or anything.

Shmunter

Takes me maybe 5 mins top to plug in those SATA SSD to transfer my entire installed games library. I don’t need to waste hours transferring, nor need to care about downloading last gen versions on PC or anything.
Have you contacted Jim Ryan?

renzolama

Upgrading from PS4 to PS5 is worse than upgrading a PC

This is true but only because upgrading a gaming PC is so easy now. Create your steam libraries on a separate partition / drive from your OS and even with the worst case upgrade (motherboard) you still only need 30 min or so to get your OS / drivers reinstalled and be gaming again.

Last edited:

Shakka43

All I did was disconnect my external hdd from the PS4 and plugged into the PS5, download my saves from the cloud and voilà, a pretty smooth ass process if you ask me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure? I guess I'll look into it. I didn't maintain a ps plus sub. Had it for about a yr then cancelled. When I played Gow I did not have ps+ at all.

So I'm guessing no.

That sucks.

Pretty sure you're hooped.

Shmunter

All I did was disconnect my external hdd from the PS4 and plugged into the PS5, download my saves from the cloud and voilà, a pretty smooth ass process if you ask me.
You didn’t need to use the controller in any of this? 🤔

Do you know how many buttons the thing has? You practically need a PhD.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Haven't you heard? Sony believes in generations.

Except for when releasing most of their first year PS5 games, which will also be on PS4.

Daymos

lol @ PC gaming being quick and easy. Every time I want to play a different game it's a weeks worth of tweaking and possibly crashing before I get the thing to work right. Whether its having no shiny water in morrowind or constant crashing in Dragon age (ostagar) or trying to figure out why trails in the sky stutters like stroke victim, it's always something.

I always figure it out, and it's usually free to do so, but I find it very hard to believe that PS5 is more complicated.

sainraja

Yeah it's a bit of a mess. It simply comes down to Sony not being as mature of a company when it comes to UX and working on OS. They will get there but they have come a long way from previous systems (I know before the PS3/X360, a console OS was pretty barebones anyway.)

EDIT

The experience on the PS5 can see improvement but come on everyone. It's not that hard to figure out when it comes down to it.

Last edited:

Brofist

I'm not sure I'd say PC gaming is easier. But it's more backward compatible and flexible for sure. It's nice having the option to use older controllers and what not.

sainraja

No, you do not need to save to an external HDD to transfer the saves over for PS4 games on a PS4 to PS4 games played on a PS5. PS+ cloud saves take care of that.

I am not defending their PS4 to PS5 remasters lack of automated saves importing (save has to be exported by the PS4 game to the cloud and then imported by the PS5 game from the cloud again), but just being accurate even if it does not jive with your 15 minutes vs 3 hours hyperbole 🤷‍♂️.
There is a lot of misinformation and trying to be accurate (even if you know the experience is less than ideal) will only get you frustrated here because people aren't genuinely interested in finding out how to do it or that they even care about having it wrong; they are just trying to use it as a way to say their favorite box is better than your favorite box or whatever.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Really? For me it was super smooth. I sold my PS4 Pro for like 250 euro, bought a PS5 for 500, downloaded my games and save files and I was good to go. I didn't have to install drivers, open up a case and install it physically onto the motherboard, had to choose from multiple different GPU vendors or fight the miners for one.

The PC is many cool things, but simple isn't one of those.

TrebleShot

if you want to play PC games in high fidelity you have to spend upwards of 1.5k.
Stupid thread.
Get a pc and be happy.

SegaShack

How did you upgrade from ps3 to ps4?
This gen, the transition from previous gen to next gen is much smoother, in the history of Playstation. I agree they need to up their games in the BC department. I wish they invest more on BC rather than porting shits to PC.
Huh?

If you bought a PS2 it played PS1 discs.

If you bought the first gen PS3 it played both PS1 AND PS2 games. Even later PS3 models
still support PS2 games.

_Ex_

For PC, its just a matter of opening the case and replacing the component. After that everything works. Your save files are intact, no need to reinstall games, all your controllers still works.

Instructions unclear. I swapped out the hard drive in my PC and none of this happened.

Novacain

I don't know about the last time you upgraded your PC, but you can't just plug and play components without a mess of driver overhauls and potentially a system reinstall to ensure things are working properly.

You can't just slap an AMD into an Intel socket, and you certainly can't just swap from an Nvidia card to an AMD without significant user input.

OP is out to lunch mentally.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

So I'm guessing no.

You expected magic fairies to keep and transfer you savs? They support USB backups for these things.

Ellery

Agree somewhat. I have a few issues with save files that I find rather annoying on my PS4->PS5. (especially with USB stick)

Even though I don't own an Xbox it seems like Microsoft is handling the transition better, but they already invested a lot more in BC and have the better groundwork for it. I wish Sony would do it as well, aswell.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
When my Series X arrived I simply took the external drives from my One X and plugged them in to the new console. Transferred a few games to the internal SSD to take advantage of that feature. All my saves were ready to go.

Took me less than 15 minutes.

3 hours? Man in that time i already finished Astro on my PS5. You clearly didn’t know how to do it or just straight up lying right now? Hook up the PS5, external SSD plugged in, doing the initial setup and done...nothing more.

Redlight

3 hours? Man in that time i already finished Astro on my PS5. You clearly didn’t know how to do it or just straight up lying right now? Hook up the PS5, external SSD plugged in, doing the initial setup and done...nothing more.
'Lying'? WTF are you on? Given that I said nothing at all about '3 hours', I think you either...

1) Replied to the wrong post. Or...
2) Are having an embolism.

Either way, seek treatment.

iHaunter

How? You can do a full backup via USB or you can just save game data to the cloud? All your games can be installed.

Neo_game

Not sure if trolling. Pretty much everything should work fine on a PC and playing older games is obviously far superior experience than a console can have. IMO console should have a different experience so if PS5 is having different controller, UI etc it is a good thing. I think people had little expectation from PS4 BC and it turned out pretty good in the end as well.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
'Lying'? WTF are you on? Given that I said nothing at all about '3 hours', I think you either...

1) Replied to the wrong post. Or...
2) Are having an embolism.

Either way, seek treatment.

It was “1” sorry. Replied wrong person.

ArtHands

Really? For me it was super smooth. I sold my PS4 Pro for like 250 euro, bought a PS5 for 500, downloaded my games and save files and I was good to go. I didn't have to install drivers, open up a case and install it physically onto the motherboard, had to choose from multiple different GPU vendors or fight the miners for one.

The PC is many cool things, but simple isn't one of those.

I don't even have to waste hours to download games and save files. Swapping a GPU probably take 2 mins? Why will you have to choose from multiple different GPU vendor when they are more or less the same? Might as well say you have to choose between PS5 and PS5 Digital here.

PS5 isn't readily available too.

ArtHands

You make it sound like there is a big hurdle to upgrading
I don't get it, you just click on download where it says free upgrade 🤔

Well you ain't able to bring over your classic PS1-3 games and peripherals so easily

Azurro

Banned
I don't even have to waste hours to download games and save files. Swapping a GPU probably take 2 mins? Why will you have to choose from multiple different GPU vendor when they are more or less the same? Might as well say you have to choose between PS5 and PS5 Digital here.

PS5 isn't readily available too.

Swapping a GPU does not take 2 minutes, and to be clear, for the average person the concept of opening up their computer is terrifying. Much simpler for them to redownload things.

Btw, I didn't have to redownload my games, I just forgot to back up my games from my PS4 when I sold it. You'd have to do the same with a new build.

pasterpl

So with Xbox you simply login using your ms account and import all settings etc into your new console. You can even use mobile setup companion app. Then you just plug-in your Xbox one cold storage and if there are no additional patches you can start playing straight away. Saves are automatically synced..Better yet, if you own any compatible xb360 games you just insert the disc into xbsex and games just plays (after small patch). In addition, with gamepass you games progress, saves also sync both ways pc <-> xbox (+xCloud) creating that seamless experience.

to op; if you wanted hassle free gaming, xbox + xCloud + pc + gamepass is the best combo out-here with multiple gens of games being supported. Same with accessories, all of your Xbox one accessories will work i with series x (excluding Kinect).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yea Sony fucked up. If they're not already knee deep in it, they need to be working on a solution like what Microsoft has.

Seriously who the fuck would ever want to install a PS4 version of a game on a PS5? That must be such a rare use case that defaulting everything to PS5 version and making people go out of their way to install PS4 should be the norm. Instead Sony managed to turn what should be a carefree, pain free process into a guessing game.

I am using a PS5. I buy a game. It has both PS4 and PS5 versions. What the fuck version do you think I want Sony?!?! How is this hard?

Markio128

not listening dumb and dumber GIF

Pretty much this video to fanboys. Don't expect any of them to acknowledge anything in the video lol.
Maybe not the best gif to use, though it may still apply, because that is one dumb ass trying to convince another dumb ass.

Most of this is hyperbole. It was for the most part a seamless process to transfer from PS4 to PS5. Just re-download games, save files, etc and that's it.

The only annoying part was the system originally not prioritising PS5 versions of games over PS4, but they've fixed it now. And Sony has no control over if PS5 upgrades of 3rd party games are free or not. Most are free.

Raonak

Banned
I just signed into my account, downloaded all my cloud saves, and plugged my PS4 external into my PS5.

It was pretty damn seemless.
Some games do have their quirks though. The only game that was weird was crash4 which had a bug on the PS5 upgrade for like the first week.

If you're doing a PC upgrade, you're likely gonna want a CPU upgrade, which requiring a fresh OS install. Which is a hassle in itself.

Last edited:
I don't know about the last time you upgraded your PC, but you can't just plug and play components without a mess of driver overhauls and potentially a system reinstall to ensure things are working properly.

You can't just slap an AMD into an Intel socket, and you certainly can't just swap from an Nvidia card to an AMD without significant user input.

OP is out to lunch mentally.

If you think going from PS4 to PS5 is difficult try changing a motherboard lol.

Ofcourse there are people who will build and install a new gaming PC for you but you'll pay for the privilege.

ArtHands

Swapping a GPU does not take 2 minutes, and to be clear, for the average person the concept of opening up their computer is terrifying. Much simpler for them to redownload things.

Btw, I didn't have to redownload my games, I just forgot to back up my games from my PS4 when I sold it. You'd have to do the same with a new build.

Um, swapping the GPU does take 2 minutes or so. If pressing down the hatch, pulling out the GPU and inserting the new GPU takes more than 2 minutes, there's something wrong with the user.

SScorpio

Um, swapping the GPU does take 2 minutes or so. If pressing down the hatch, pulling out the GPU and inserting the new GPU takes more than 2 minutes, there's something wrong with the user.

Not always, draining loops and redoing ridged tubing takes a while. Though the people who custom loop water cool are a special type of user.

Jokerevo

Banned
The upgrade path from the PS4 to PS5 is a mess and worse than upgrading a PC.

For PC, its just a matter of opening the case and replacing the component. After that everything works. Your save files are intact, no need to reinstall games, all your controllers still works. Just launch the game, tune up the setting and you get to enjoy the improved fidelity. Want to use a DualShock 4 on Godfall? Sure you can do that, on PC but not PS5.

On PS5, cross-gen games are split into 2 versions (PS4/PS5) and offer for you to download for no reason. Why will I want to play a PS4 version on PS5? You can't use a DS4 on PS5 games, but you can use remote play to use DS4 on PS5 games. You can turn off the extra features on DualSense and turn it into a DS4 (in terms of features) and use on PS5 games. If you upgrade to a PS5 you can't carry your digital library on classic platforms (PS1, PS2 classics etc) over to PS5. Some games cost extra if you want both PS4 and PS5 version. Some games doesn't carry save over from PS4 to PS5. Some cross-gen games doesn't even allow next-gen upgrade. Like you have to google everytime to see if your games have which upgrade issue. You have Overcooked All You Can Eat with 4 DS4 on the PS4 for 4 players co-op. You want to play the same game with PS5 fidelity? Well you'll have to spend $200+ for 3 additional DualSense if you want 4 players co-op here again.

Its embarrassing considering we are in 2021 here and still dealing with these mess.
And yet despite all this you still bought a console?

anaphase

You expected magic fairies to keep and transfer you savs?

Not magic fairies, technology... you know... cloud saves. It's been thing for a long time. Microsoft does it, seamlessly I might add.

They support USB backups for these things.

Yeah that's been established. Now we're talking about how old school and cumbersome that is.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not magic fairies, technology... you know... cloud saves. It's been thing for a long time. Microsoft does it, seamlessly I might add.
Which is a feature of PS+ which you did not pay for. So how did you expect it to happen?

There are a bunch of improvements that could be made, but this is still the best transition in years. The only other generation that went so smooth is PS1 to PS2 and that was still less than perfect. There are a lot of other problems with PC gaming that get glossed over in these discussions, even when you aren’t upgrading hardware.

One huge criticism I have though is not allowing the DS4 to work with PS5 games. The only reason it’s like this is to push the Dual Sense. Input wise there is nothing that the Dual Sense can do that the DS4 can’t.

anaphase

Which is a feature of PS+ which you did not pay for. So how did you expect it to happen?

Ok, a few posts up I admitted that I never looked into all that because of how commonplace it is on xbox.

The person I was responding to was just trying to help me out and see if maybe there was something I may have overlooked.

Edit: You don't need gold for cloud saves on Xbox, thought it was the same for PSN. They're behind on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom