• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UploadVR] Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K With Foveated Rendering And Vibration Feature

Excited for PSVR2?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
By Ian Hamilton:

Sony’s next-generation VR headset for PlayStation 5 has significantly higher resolution, inside-out tracking, a vibration motor, and even foveated rendering, reliable sources tell UploadVR.

We don’t yet know the product’s name, but multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners. Those details include a resolution of 4000×2080 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering. A motor in the headset can be used by developers to give direct haptic feedback.

Sony previously confirmed it is developing a next-generation wired VR headset for PS5 to release sometime after 2021, and revealed the controllers for the upcoming device with analog sticks and finger position sensing, plus resistive triggers that can push back at your fingers when pressed, as seen in the PS5’s own DualSense controller.

ezgif-6-b58587db9925.png

Next Generation Sony VR​

The resolution of the upcoming Sony headset is slightly less than HP Reverb G2 (the current market leader in consumer VR headset resolution) and slightly more than the Oculus Quest 2. The resolution should amount to roughly 8.3 million total pixels, just slightly more than what’s provided by a full 4K display, though of course that’s half per eye. The new VR headset will use a USB Type-C connection between the console and headset. The PlayStation 5 features a single USB-C port on the front of the device.

The new Sony headset will use its onboard cameras to track the position of the new controllers, thereby simplifying setup dramatically compared to the current generation and unlocking more movement freedom for the player.

Speculation​

Though this part is speculation, it is possible that with the planned inclusion of foveated rendering, the perceived sharpness provided by the upcoming Sony headset might be much improved compared to current systems by way of supersampling the area of focus.

Eye-tracking can also dramatically change the sense of social connection made between avatars in VR. Generally speaking, the technology allows for subtler expression translating to a more profound sense of actually being together with another person in a virtual world. Eye-tracking could also be employed for other uses, such as much better throwing mechanics that take into account what a player is looking at when they release a virtual object. Demos provided by Tobii of its eye-tracking technology used in some professional-level headsets (Vive Pro Eye, Pico Neo 2 Eye and HP Reverb G2 Omnicept edition all utilize Tobii) show precisely this use case. Take, for example, this Tobii demonstration from 2018:

Competitive Landscape​

Sony’s PSVR headset sold more than five million units through the end of 2019, with a much-lauded halo strap design that’s been licensed by other manufacturers such as Lenovo. PSVR relies on its wired connection to the nearby PlayStation to provide processing and deliver power to the headset. The first-generation headset started shipping in 2016 with positional tracking provided by a wired camera mounted next to your play space. Controls were provided by way of either a gamepad or the Move controllers which originally shipped in 2010.

Taken altogether, the new features define a truly next-generation virtual reality experience planned by Sony for PlayStation 5 owners. The resistive triggers could differentiate Sony VR experiences while the inclusion of eye-tracking may take that technology to mass market consumers for the first time. Meanwhile, the higher resolution and easier setup would be dramatic improvements compared to the first generation PSVR system.

Facebook is expected to sell the wireless Oculus Quest 2 for “a long while” and the company’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg said recently “some other folks might try to ship something that they claim is higher quality but has a wire, and I just don’t think that consumers are going to want to go for that.” The company is openly exploring a more sensor-laden Quest Pro, with Zuckerberg mentioning in a recent interview he is interested in future Quests including eye-tracking and face tracking.

Apple is also exploring a VR headset while HTC is focusing on the business market and Valve, which shipped the high-end Index in 2019, confirmed last year it is still working on wireless solutions for VR. Microsoft supports open source efforts in VR, but there’s no indication Xbox VR is likely to happen.

While 2021 is shaping up to be Quest 2’s year selling standalone wireless VR at an unmatchable price — all-in for just $299 — from 2022 onward it may be a whole new ballgame for VR.

Official prototype testing of the controllers, highly smart and sensitive:

Last edited:
I don't have any specifics and I don't understand most of the tech jargons anyway, but I did hear from someone that it was quite high tech indeed (and possibly the most advanced VR device so far). From the same source as that post about the boxes from last year, if you guys remember.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Will it compare to my valve index? Find out on the next episode of...

Not sure, really. If that's so then Sony must keep the profit margin to the minimum vs Valve that will usually ask for a premium price (2-3x its BOM).

I don't have any specifics and I don't understand most of the tech jargons anyway, but I did hear from someone that it was quite high tech indeed (and possibly the most advanced VR device so far). From the same source as that post about the boxes from last year, if you guys remember.

Wow! Hope that's true! I didn't try the PSVR, although my brother downstairs has it. I'll be picking up this one!

Last edited:
Not sure, really. If that's so then Sony must keep the profit margin to the minimum vs Valve that will usually ask for a premium price (2-3x its BOM).

Wow! Hope that's true! I didn't try the PSVR, although my brother downstairs has it. I'll be picking up this one!
Gotta pay to play though. Might be pricey, but that's nothing else on comparison, for the past 2 years. Lighthouses>>>>>>Inside out tracking. Theres a reason why it's pricey. Millimeter precision ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gotta pay to play though. Might be pricey, but that's nothing else on comparison, for the past 2 years. Lighthouses>>>>>>Inside out tracking. Theres a reason why it's pricey. Millimeter precision ain't cheap.

We need to wait to see the PSVR2, and if it's even close and much cheaper it might even ship more PS5's due to better integration and the new controllers being highly smart:

This video as you can see is official.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

PSVR isn't anywhere near 2-3x it's BOM lol

edit: Derp, meant Valve index

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Not PSVR, you didn't read it right. I meant Valve will be asking for higher profit margin vs PSVR2 if both are specced similarly.
Sorry I meant Valve Index.

Brain fart.

edit; And to be clear, I know this for a fact, not just saying it to say it.. they have a decent profit margin, but it's only a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Danknugz

That's the entire point of foveated rendering.
I know. My point was that others have also talked about it and claimed it would be I their next headset but nothing came of t and as far as I know we have yet to see any real world proof of concept with legit eye tracking and a measurable increase in performance

IntentionalPun

I know. My point was that others have also talked about it and claimed it would be I their next headset but nothing came of t and as far as I know we have yet to see any real world proof of concept with legit eye tracking and a measurable increase in performance
Doesn't VRSS effectively do just that on PC?

Theoretically you can set a higher MSAA level w/ it on, than off, in a sense, increasing performance at a given rendering target.

Bartski

Gold Member
Had to look up foveated rendering. Hoping this will get some spotlight during the totally-not-part-of-E3 big early summer showcase.

kyliethicc

Very exciting, thanks Bo. I think that they will unveil towards the end of next year, with a 2023 release date.
I think its coming out next year. October 2022 is my bet.

So is this wired only? Or are they offering a Wireless version?
I really hope for them that it’s wireless. Releasing a VR headset beyond 2021, wired, would feel archaic.

Sony have said it will be wired only. It will use a single USB-C cable that connects to the USB-C port on the front of the PS5.

"It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."

And this new story says the same thing.

"The new VR headset will use a USB Type-C connection between the console and headset. The PlayStation 5 features a single USB-C port on the front of the device."

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Throws out big specs and then shows ball throwing carnival game.

that’s exactly why VR is shit.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Throws out big specs and then shows ball throwing carnival game.

that’s exactly why VR is shit.
Heh.. there are some great looking VR games.

But a combo of the fact you are rendering 2 screens at once, and big budgets being hard to justify make many of the games a bit simple.

But VR can make the simplest shit fun.. like.. there are "games" where you just do chores with PS2 level graphics.. and it's a blast lol

Last edited:

Tygeezy

The wire being a USB C cable opens the door for wireless VR because the bandwidth is not great enough to use USB C without compression.

I agree with Zuckerberg: “some other folks might try to ship something that they claim is higher quality but has a wire, and I just don’t think that consumers are going to want to go for that.”

Every single spec listed for this PSVR2 sound amazing, and yet the knowledge that it'll be tethered with a USB cable has deflated my interest considerably. Once you go wireless it's a bummer to go back, especially when playing 360 degree VR games. I hope Sony can figure out a solution or accessory to allow for wireless display like Quest 2 does with PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom