• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UploadVR] Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K With Foveated Rendering And Vibration Feature

Excited for PSVR2?

• Total voters

Boss Mog

Very cool stuff if true. The inside-out tracking is probably true because Sony mentioned that the PSVR2 wouldn't require an external camera.The gaze tracking seem crazy, like to be able to do it in realtime and drop the rendering detail on objects in your peripheral vision.

Not so sure i want haptic feedback on my head though, I'm sure it will be very subtle and not something that would vibrate your head intensely. Imagine if in RE8 VR, a zombie would reach his hand out to grab your face and you would get slight haptic feedback if he touches you. Scary shit.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Head haptics - wtf lol. If they have adaptive neck strength, might buy one for the missus, get them neck muscles working

tenor.gif

Seriously VR is less about the hardware right now. It need a glut of really top end software, and I have a PSVR. Enough tech demo's and a realy good game each 24-36 months. They need to have 10-12 titles ready at launch, as in full games and not 'tacked on' modes like GTA VR, RDR VR, GT7 VR etc. Actual full games. And they need a roadmap with strong, known IPs on there.

scraz

After trying the HP reverb G2 with the FrankenFOV mod and still returning it, for me FOV is king. I'm hoping like hell the new Vive is 180.

You don't care for the tech.
Well PSVR2 will be bad when it comes to price and ease of setup/use.

But the tech sounds very promising and top notch.
I'm sure it's cool, but if it's not affordable and easy to use I'm just honestly not interested. Those are the two primary barriers to entry. Everyone knows VR has cool tech.

Chukhopops

Now this could make me buy a PS5 if true. I find it difficult to believe because of the price point, that would make for a very costly headset and would the controllers be included by default?

I’m getting a psvr 2 as well. I just believe the thinking that AAA games are all the matter is a false premise when lower budget titles have frankly been better lately than a lot of AAA output.

have them though?

indies that look like a 80s game but play with genre conventions and end up with something new and addictive may still have a place in flat gaming - it's all retro after all

but a huge part of the appeal of Virtual Reality is simply to be carried away to somewhere else. Skyrim, NMS, RDR give us that: large, lush, beautiful living places for us to explore in VR. It's simply sheer delight to just be there, taking in the sights and epic scale. The mini world or one room scale of most indies very rarely give me that, and when do still fall short.

There's been a blatant shortage of such epic scale experience in VR so far, and that's what I hope psvr2 will fix.

I speak RDR2 because long ago they discovered Oculus related strings inside the code. We've been all rumoring when big games are coming. Well, they're coming once psvr2 for PS5 is here, because Quest mobile hardware is out of Question and brute forcing on pc is not the way to do it either and current pcvr headsets with eye-tracking are above $1200 and unrealistic for mass consumer hardware...

Tygeezy

have them though?

indies that look like a 80s game but play with genre conventions and end up with something new and addictive may still have a place in flat gaming - it's all retro after all

but a huge part of the appeal of Virtual Reality is simply to be carried away to somewhere else. Skyrim, NMS, RDR give us that: large, lush, beautiful living places for us to explore in VR. It's simply sheer delight to just be there, taking in the sights and epic scale. The mini world or one room scale of most indies very rarely give me that, and when do still fall short.

There's been a blatant shortage of such epic scale experience in VR so far, and that's what I hope psvr2 will fix.

I speak RDR2 because long ago they discovered Oculus related strings inside the code. We've been all rumoring when big games are coming. Well, they're coming once psvr2 for PS5 is here, because Quest mobile hardware is out of Question and brute forcing on pc is not the way to do it either and current pcvr headsets with eye-tracking are above $1200 and unrealistic for mass consumer hardware...
There are good VR indy games RIGHT NOW that you can play on quest. I'm curious why PC won't even be an option? You can already build a pc that is stronger than a ps5 with the 30 series graphic cards that sell so well they can't even be kept in stock. By the time psvr 2 is out i'm sure the quest 3 will be out with it's own eye tracked foveated rendering and a wifi 6e chip for wirelessly streaming pcvr titles.

Now, I plan on getting the psvr 2 because I do have a ps5, and i'll for sure be getting the quest 3 when that comes out, so I don't feel like i'm speaking with a bias here. I know there will be ps vr 2 exclusives i want to play, but pc will be perfectly capable and probably get a lot of the same titles as well.

Skyrim, no mans sky, elite dangerous, Asgards Wrath, Alyx, Lone Echo, Stormland ect. are already titles you can play wired or wirelessly with link/airlink. I agree they could use some more large scale epic adventures that ps vr 2 could bring to both pc and ps5. The most played games on any platform period tend to be games that don't require a massive budget though like battle royals, hero shooters, tactical shooters, moba, and multiplayer survival games. Vr is really only lacking multiplayer survival games from that group and a bigger moba title, and i'm sure they are eventually coming.

Last edited:
Tbh, I'm not sure we should trust these leaks. I can fully see Facebook shills trying to shit on Sony's next entry by creating false hype and hope and when official specs are here missing such components they can boo it.

mind I remind you that pcvr headsets with eye-tracking are all in the Enterprise sector above $1400? How would Sony slash $1000 from that equation is beyond me.

I hope it is, eye-tracking is the only viable option to get games with modern graphics in VR, but it may still not be ready for primetime.

Last edited:
There are good VR indy games RIGHT NOW that you can play on quest. I'm curious why PC won't even be an option? You can already build a pc that is stronger than a ps5 with the 30 series graphic cards that sell so well they can't even be kept in stock. By the time psvr 2 is out i'm sure the quest 3 will be out with it's own eye tracked foveated rendering and a wifi 6e chip for wirelessly streaming pcvr titles.

Now, I plan on getting the psvr 2 because I do have a ps5, and i'll for sure be getting the quest 3 when that comes out, so I don't feel like i'm speaking with a bias here. I know there will be ps vr 2 exclusives i want to play, but pc will be perfectly capable and probably get a lot of the same titles as well.

Skyrim, no mans sky, elite dangerous, Asgards Wrath, Alyx, Lone Echo, Stormland ect. are already titles you can play wired or wirelessly with link/airlink. I agree they could use some more large scale epic adventures that ps vr 2 could bring to both pc and ps5. The most played games on any platform period tend to be games that don't require a massive budget though like battle royals, hero shooters, tactical shooters, moba, and multiplayer survival games. Vr is really only lacking multiplayer survival games from that group and a bigger moba title, and i'm sure they are eventually coming.

indies are very hit or miss and still very constrained mini experiences compared to a full blown AAA compared to something like RDR. for instance, Pokerstars is huge on Quest, it's only but a minigame in RDR2.

a pcvr with rtx 3090 is currently running MSFS at amazingly crappy 20-30fps. That's your master race VR - must feel almost like Starfox SNES.

no, you need real tech to get big modern games like this going, that means foveated rendering with gaze tracking and it seems Sony may be the one bringing it to the masses.

so you may waste your whole house wifi bandwidth and gpu streaming potato mode MSFS wirelessly to play on your Quest standing, but I'll wait for better tech which is not wasteful to play sitting and not minding psvr2 wire.

Tygeezy

indies are very hit or miss and still very constrained mini experiences compared to a full blown AAA compared to something like RDR. for instance, Pokerstars is huge on Quest, it's only but a minigame in RDR2.

a pcvr with rtx 3090 is currently running MSFS at amazingly crappy 20-30fps. That's your master race VR - must feel almost like Starfox SNES.

no, you need real tech to get big modern games like this going, that means foveated rendering with gaze tracking and it seems Sony may be the one bringing it to the masses.

so you may waste your whole house wifi bandwidth and gpu streaming potato mode MSFS wirelessly to play on your Quest standing, but I'll wait for better tech which is not wasteful to play sitting and not minding psvr2 wire.
You mention one indy game as if that is the entire indy experience on VR. You also mention one pcvr game as if that is the entire vr experience on the pcvr platform. You don't appear to be very objective with your cherry picked examples. You also don't use your entire household wifi bandwidth using airlink. I actually measured it at 35-45 % RF airtime usage. That is with the 5ghz band. 6 ghz will have even more bandwidth, and less interference to contend with due to more channel availability and less wall penetration. The quest 3 will undoubtedly have eye tracked foveated rendering if Sony is capable of the tech.

Last edited:
I wonder what the maximum render scale will be? Anyone who's used VR extensively, knows what I mean. With a good PC you can go a good bit higher, so I wonder what this will be. Guess we'll have to wait till people can test it, as they probably won't release info on that.

FS2020 as your only example? I play just about all games @ 144fps in VR. With a low latency panel to make things even better. Again, please tell me about choppy framerate on PCVR without being biased af. If that game were on ps5, I hope you wouldn't be upset with 4-7 fps compared to a 3090?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm interested to see the tech used, but I won't be buying one. Buying VR on a console seems pointless to me with how limited you would be.
Limited? What they managed to wring out of a PS4 is nothing short of miraculous tbh, for a first attempt they knocked it out of the park with some incredible experiences and games running on limited hardware, the headset was comfy to wear and the optics where decent enough, so imagine all the data they now have and the experience under their belt what they'll be able to do with PSVR2 & PS5... Doesn't bare thinking how much better it will be

Tygeezy

FS2020 as your only example? I play just about all games @ 144fps in VR. With a low latency panel to make things even better. Again, please tell me about choppy framerate on PCVR without being biased af. If that game were on ps5, I hope you wouldn't be upset with 4-7 fps compared to a 3090?
Yeah, I expect psvr2 to be a very good experience and probably even allow pcvr to get some very nice ports to boot. You can be pro psvr 2 while also being objective about other vr platforms.

Yeah, I expect psvr2 to be a very good experience and probably even allow pcvr to get some very nice ports to boot. You can be pro psvr 2 while also being objective about other vr platforms.
Agreed, but that guy can't be serious or even objective with a statement like that. That's the definition of being purposely obtuse. Trying to make a whole platform look bad, while making another look good. That's why I compared the same game running on pc vs ps5 platform to put things into perspective.

kyliethicc

I do find that supposed resolution weird.. 4000 x 2040.. why would Sony use a custom 1.96 aspect ratio display?

I feel like this source must be off about the exact res, its probably gonna be around 4000x2000 pixels but I can't see it being that wide a ratio.

PSVR is 16:9 and so I can't really Sony making PSVR2 being anything wider than 1.85. Idk tho.

I play just about all games @ 144fps in VR
more likely you play indies with modest graphics and old games at that performance.

any luck with Dirt Rally 2, NMS, SKYRIM with mods? There's also some bozos who run the likes of RDR2 or RE2 in "VR" either with trashy performance or fake 3D - plus no hands in game. it's sad.

with foveated rendering and gaze tracking, I'll likely be getting 120fps just fine. psvr2 must come with that if they really want VR to go mainstream.

more likely you play indies with modest graphics and old games at that performance.

any luck with Dirt Rally 2, NMS, SKYRIM with mods? There's also some bozos who run the likes of RDR2 or RE2 in "VR" either with trashy performance or fake 3D - plus no hands in game. it's sad.

with foveated rendering and gaze tracking, I'll likely be getting 120fps just fine. psvr2 must come with that if they really want VR to go mainstream.
120 fps on indie games I'm assuming you mean? Not sure why you are trying to make PC seem like it somehow has worse performance than your assumption of the psvr2. You do realize there are headsets with foveated rendering already... It's not new, nor exclusive to ps5. If ps5 gets 120 fps, PC can double that. I just don't get the blatant dishonesty?

120 fps on indie games I'm assuming you mean? Not sure why you are trying to make PC seem like it somehow has worse performance than your assumption of the psvr2. You do realize there are headsets with foveated rendering already... It's not new, nor exclusive to ps5. If ps5 gets 120 fps, PC can double that. I just don't get the blatant dishonesty?

sure, man. pcvr headsets with eye-tracking have been available for a few years already. Starting at $1400 for the headset (plus another kidney for the GPU), none for gaming, certainly not one using foveated rendering for that.

I'm talking about mass consumer market here, dude. pcvr has no saying in that. There's only Quest and psvr.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
is that a joke?

you're missing out some of the best games available in VR so far - Hitman, Farpoint, Dreams, Wipeout, Blood and Truth, Astro Bot, Golem etc.

Yes, gonna play Astro Bot and probably Blood and Truth, I have Dreams but not sure if it'll be fun enough. The new PSVR2 should make the experience even better.

Yes, gonna play Astro Bot and probably Blood and Truth, I have Dreams but not sure if it'll be fun enough. The new PSVR2 should make the experience even better.
those 3 amazing first party titles are sure to be supported, but I'm not taking BC for granted...

you might well dust off your brother's headset, wipe the lenses, draw curtains so light leaks don't come in the way of tracking and try them now and play seated so limitations of tracking like going off camera don't make the experience awful. You'll realize psvr is not half as bad as shills picture it and the library is really good.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
those 3 amazing first party titles are sure to be supported, but I'm not taking BC for granted...

you might well dust off your brother's headset, wipe the lenses, draw curtains so light leaks don't come in the way of tracking and try them now and play seated so limitations of tracking like going off camera don't make the experience awful. You'll realize psvr is not half as bad as shills picture it and the library is really good.

I know it's good, but not so enthusiastic about the titles shown. Only Astro Bot gets the highest recommendation from my friends. Need a PS5 adapter and too much hassle.

Top Bottom