• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UploadVR] Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K With Foveated Rendering And Vibration Feature

Excited for PSVR2?

• Total voters

cragarmi

By Ian Hamilton:

Sony’s next-generation VR headset for PlayStation 5 has significantly higher resolution, inside-out tracking, a vibration motor, and even foveated rendering, reliable sources tell UploadVR.

We don’t yet know the product’s name, but multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners. Those details include a resolution of 4000×2080 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering. A motor in the headset can be used by developers to give direct haptic feedback.

Sony previously confirmed it is developing a next-generation wired VR headset for PS5 to release sometime after 2021, and revealed the controllers for the upcoming device with analog sticks and finger position sensing, plus resistive triggers that can push back at your fingers when pressed, as seen in the PS5’s own DualSense controller.

ezgif-6-b58587db9925.png

Next Generation Sony VR​

The resolution of the upcoming Sony headset is slightly less than HP Reverb G2 (the current market leader in consumer VR headset resolution) and slightly more than the Oculus Quest 2. The resolution should amount to roughly 8.3 million total pixels, just slightly more than what’s provided by a full 4K display, though of course that’s half per eye. The new VR headset will use a USB Type-C connection between the console and headset. The PlayStation 5 features a single USB-C port on the front of the device.

The new Sony headset will use its onboard cameras to track the position of the new controllers, thereby simplifying setup dramatically compared to the current generation and unlocking more movement freedom for the player.

Speculation​

Though this part is speculation, it is possible that with the planned inclusion of foveated rendering, the perceived sharpness provided by the upcoming Sony headset might be much improved compared to current systems by way of supersampling the area of focus.

Eye-tracking can also dramatically change the sense of social connection made between avatars in VR. Generally speaking, the technology allows for subtler expression translating to a more profound sense of actually being together with another person in a virtual world. Eye-tracking could also be employed for other uses, such as much better throwing mechanics that take into account what a player is looking at when they release a virtual object. Demos provided by Tobii of its eye-tracking technology used in some professional-level headsets (Vive Pro Eye, Pico Neo 2 Eye and HP Reverb G2 Omnicept edition all utilize Tobii) show precisely this use case. Take, for example, this Tobii demonstration from 2018:

Competitive Landscape​

Sony’s PSVR headset sold more than five million units through the end of 2019, with a much-lauded halo strap design that’s been licensed by other manufacturers such as Lenovo. PSVR relies on its wired connection to the nearby PlayStation to provide processing and deliver power to the headset. The first-generation headset started shipping in 2016 with positional tracking provided by a wired camera mounted next to your play space. Controls were provided by way of either a gamepad or the Move controllers which originally shipped in 2010.

Taken altogether, the new features define a truly next-generation virtual reality experience planned by Sony for PlayStation 5 owners. The resistive triggers could differentiate Sony VR experiences while the inclusion of eye-tracking may take that technology to mass market consumers for the first time. Meanwhile, the higher resolution and easier setup would be dramatic improvements compared to the first generation PSVR system.

Facebook is expected to sell the wireless Oculus Quest 2 for “a long while” and the company’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg said recently “some other folks might try to ship something that they claim is higher quality but has a wire, and I just don’t think that consumers are going to want to go for that.” The company is openly exploring a more sensor-laden Quest Pro, with Zuckerberg mentioning in a recent interview he is interested in future Quests including eye-tracking and face tracking.

Apple is also exploring a VR headset while HTC is focusing on the business market and Valve, which shipped the high-end Index in 2019, confirmed last year it is still working on wireless solutions for VR. Microsoft supports open source efforts in VR, but there’s no indication Xbox VR is likely to happen.

While 2021 is shaping up to be Quest 2’s year selling standalone wireless VR at an unmatchable price — all-in for just $299 — from 2022 onward it may be a whole new ballgame for VR.

Official prototype testing of the controllers, highly smart and sensitive:

Sony have been experimenting with eye tracking even before the first PSVR was released. I remember seeing a demo of Infamous Second Son, using eye tracking to track where to aim projectiles. Running on a CRT no less! 😂 I 'm quite sure eye tracking will have a major role in next gen VR.

Tygeezy

foveated rendering means like 80% of the image is a blur - it's only the same area your eyes are upon that is very high resolution.

that's natural compression. bandwidth should be very minimum
We already have foveated rendering with the quest 2. It's why its blurry if you look anywhere other than the center. It's just fixed foveated rendering. I don't think there is going to be a huge performance increase. The benefit here will be being able to move your eyes to look around instead of moving your head with your eyes fixed on the center.

namekuseijin namekuseijin your tag speaks mountains of why you are so obtuse. It all makes sense now. No wonder why you keep trying to downplay PC, and exalt something you haven't ever had your hands on. That's what you call a shill.

sure, man. pcvr headsets with eye-tracking have been available for a few years already. Starting at $1400 for the headset (plus another kidney for the GPU), none for gaming, certainly not one using foveated rendering for that.

I'm talking about mass consumer market here, dude. pcvr has no saying in that. There's only Quest and psvr.

Would you rather something or absolutely nothing? You mention VR games with mods and capabilities that aren't even available on ps4/ps5. I'll take the option to do something over no possibility at all.

PC has these headsets already, ps5 has nothing, period. My index is more than likely still going to be a better experience. Stop trying to shit on PCVR, or I'll continue to pick apart your weak arguments and expose you.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony have been experimenting with eye tracking even before the first PSVR was released. I remember seeing a demo of Infamous Second Son, using eye tracking to track where to aim projectiles. Running on a CRT no less! 😂 I 'm quite sure eye tracking will have a major role in next gen VR.

Yup and they're leading the the eye tracking in camera sensors as well (cellphones and cameras that use Sony sensors, which holds 49% of the whole cameras of the world). I'm more than sure they've got a lot under their sleeves more than VAR in the English Premier league. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: It's critical in all cloud services today (Azure, AWS, etc) and other fronts.

Last edited:
I agree with Zuckerberg: “some other folks might try to ship something that they claim is higher quality but has a wire, and I just don’t think that consumers are going to want to go for that.”

Every single spec listed for this PSVR2 sound amazing, and yet the knowledge that it'll be tethered with a USB cable has deflated my interest considerably. Once you go wireless it's a bummer to go back, especially when playing 360 degree VR games. I hope Sony can figure out a solution or accessory to allow for wireless display like Quest 2 does with PC.
What is the point of wireless vr if youre not walking in a open environment. Sure you can turn around, but can you walk back? No, your movement is still basically a advanced point and click game. Eh.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What is the point of wireless vr if youre not walking in a open environment. Sure you can turn around, but can you walk back? No, your movement is still basically a advanced point and click game. Eh.

Some made me feel like they play in a warehouse like Lew Later (Unbox Therapy).

I don't know how I feel about PS and VR. I was pretty annoyed when VR in Resident Evil 7 was made exclusive to PSVR. Even though the game was out on PC where there was already a large community of VR users. If Sony being in the market means games from big developers having VR stripped out of PC games because of a exclusivity deals, then I want nothing to do with them. They suck.

They suck? Out of most third party games ported or made to VR to sell psvr, only Hitman and RE7 remain exclusive.

thank Sony for funding the development of: Battlezone, Rez Infinite, Batman Arkham VR, Dirt Rally 1, Skyrim, Doom VFR, Psychonauts, Borderlands 2, No Man's Sky, Ghost Giant, Tetris Effect, SW Squadrons etc

were it not for psvr bringing devs on board for VR, you'd get the drought in quality games we have today during its decline...

Are you talking about active VR users on Steam as your metric? Because if that's the case, how many active PSVR users are there? If you're going by sales, at the start of 2020 Sony had sold 5 million PSVR headsets. PCVR had sold 68 million headsets by that time. So how do you figure the PCVR market was not large?
68 million pcvr headsets! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mister racers are more delusional by the day. Are you counting 3DoF cardboard crap, man?

Has Phil Spencer turned to a camera, looked deep into your eyes, and said that exact sentence? No.
Did Phil Spencer look into a camera and say that Microsoft bought Bethesda to secure exclusive games for Gamepass? Yes.

As I said... I wouldn't be waiting for Starfield on PSVR2.
Did Phil look into a camera and said they want gamepass everywhere - perhaps even on Playstation like the EA thing? Yes.

Tygeezy

Hopefully the cinematic mode on the new headset will be improved so you can look around and interact with the environment when playing flat screen ps5 games on a giant screen. Being able to have your friend join in a coop in your environment would also be really cool and could temp people to buy the headset for both vr games and playing on an imax size screen. Hopefully the headset also has HDR and local dimming since it is a lcd screen.

Tygeezy

68 million pcvr headsets! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mister racers are more delusional by the day. Are you counting 3DoF cardboard crap, man?
There is no point in warring over your favorite corporate overlord. Sony, Oculus, and Valve have done a ton for VR to get it to the point we are at now where it's really taking off and on the cusp of mainstream.

Rudius

Tbh, I'm not sure we should trust these leaks. I can fully see Facebook shills trying to shit on Sony's next entry by creating false hype and hope and when official specs are here missing such components they can boo it.

mind I remind you that pcvr headsets with eye-tracking are all in the Enterprise sector above $1400? How would Sony slash $1000 from that equation is beyond me.

I hope it is, eye-tracking is the only viable option to get games with modern graphics in VR, but it may still not be ready for primetime.
It would be insane for them to destroy their credibility just to mess with fanboys. But what can happen is people over hyping the features, specially the eye tracking. It can still be true, but only provide a small boost to performance instead of large one.

There is no point in warring over your favorite corporate overlord. Sony, Oculus, and Valve have done a ton for VR to get it to the point we are at now where it's really taking off and on the cusp of mainstream.
you know all too well that 68 million figure is for old limited crappy early 3DoF cheap headsets unable to play any real VR game.

Tygeezy

LMAOOOOOO oh yes people are making vr rooms left and right. Go wander in the garden and yank some leafs.
I’m sure if Sony had confirmed wireless support people would be excited to do just this, but because they didn’t it’s no big deal and not many people would be interested in this setup even though science fiction films have popularized the idea of natural locomotion for virtual reality.

The fucking only thing keeping me interested in PS at this point that and my stupid friends who refuse to move to PC. I know Sony will do VR the right way so I'll pick it up when I can fucking find one.

CloudNull

Banned
At the current rate Oculus is dominating the VR market and turning into a monopoly. I really hope Sony stops this. While I expect other headset to sell well none will sale enough to stop Oculus. This ought be our only hope for competition.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

If that rendering tech is included, that could mean better visuals than standard ps5 games. Monitors cannot track pupils to lower resolution of the rest of the screen. They're forced to render everything at the same resolution or very close.
You have to render for both eyes though and the eyes can still see a lot of what needs to be rendered. I know some games on quest you can actually adjust the foveated rendering. Eleven table tennis allows you to do this to hit 120 hz. Even at max I still had to drop the resolution to a level I didn’t enjoy, so i kept it at 90 hz.

Foveated rendering does increase performance, but it’s not the magic bullet people think it is for huge performance. It’s implementation will be noticed for looking anywhere in the headset and not getting blur which will be fantastic . Nvidia has brought dlss to vr though and that along with foveated rendering gives you a nice boost, but it’s much easier to render one screen than both eyes.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

At the current rate Oculus is dominating the VR market and turning into a monopoly. I really hope Sony stops this. While I expect other headset to sell well none will sale enough to stop Oculus. This ought be our only hope for competition.
It will be interesting to see what Apple does because they certainly have the ability to compete and are supposedly dropping a headset next year. You will have Oculus, Sony and potentially Apple as major players.

There are rumors of valve working on another headset too. We shall see. I don’t have an issue with oculus because they have done a ton for VR, but healthy competition is always nice.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
foveatedpt2-hero__header__5ce790ce.jpg

If this is true and the PS VR2 will support foveated rendering, it will bring a huge advantage, as the PS5 can render a high resolution image around 4K, which would not otherwise be possible with its GPU.

It's similar to VRS. Foveal area has 1x1 or supersampled, better than 1x1 shader quality ratio /high resolution/, Blend 2x2 /mid resolution/, Peripheral 4x4 /low resolution/ ..
Although not necessarily possible on PS5, or maybe even current gen cards, AI upscaling like DLSS makes this tech really powerful because you can get really aggressive with dropping the res, without any real visible difference to the player. Facebook showed off some crazy impressive AI upscaling a whole back, though my understanding is it's not performant enough.

Romulus

You have to render for both eyes though and the eyes can still see a lot of what needs to be rendered. I know some games on quest you can actually adjust the foveated rendering. Eleven table tennis allows you to do this to hit 120 hz. Even at max I still had to drop the resolution to a level I didn’t enjoy, so i kept it at 90 hz.

Foveated rendering does increase performance, but it’s not the magic bullet people think it is for huge performance. It’s implementation will be noticed for looking anywhere in the headset and not getting blur which will be fantastic . Nvidia has brought dlss to vr though and that along with foveated rendering gives you a nice boost, but it’s much easier to render one screen than both eyes.

You're describing current methods, I'm speaking to the future with more advanced methods built into new headsets. Psvr1 used it too and it wasn't great

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I hope they indeed don't develop "VR games". Just add VR mode in regular games.
This works for certain games, others it’s super janky. Doom 3 is nice, but when you play a game built for VR from the ground up they can get really creative with how you interact with the environment or manage your inventory.

I would hope VR mode would entail being able to grab weapons from your holster or chest and having a bag you can pull out to access your inventory.

Tygeezy

You're describing current methods, I'm speaking to the future with more advanced methods built into new headsets. Psvr1 used it too and it wasn't great
It’s really to be determined how much of a performance improvement this brings. My understanding is most people are excited about it because they don’t have to worry about looking into the “sweet spot” anymore. You’re free to look around with just your eyes rather than always moving your head to take a closer look.

CloudNull

Banned
It will be interesting to see what Apple does because they certainly have the ability to compete and are supposedly dropping a headset next year. You will have Oculus, Sony and potentially Apple as major players.

There are rumors of valve working on another headset too. We shall see. I don’t have an issue with oculus because they have done a ton for VR, but healthy competition is always nice.
I agree 100%. I hate Facebook but love Oculus because the whole company has done well by the community. They are great at refunds and making the users happy. Without competition they might get complacent. This competition gives us as consumers options to shop around and choose which eco system we buy into.

As for the headsets, I think Apple will be more practical, like day to day, and business based. Valve will always be a player but I think they will always focus on the enthusiast. They will always offer the best experience but the cost will be steep. I think Apple and Oculus will be low priced headsets, Sony middle and valve the most expensive.

Romulus

It’s really to be determined how much of a performance improvement this brings. My understanding is most people are excited about it because they don’t have to worry about looking into the “sweet spot” anymore. You’re free to look around with just your eyes rather than always moving your head to take a closer look.

Absolutely, but I dont think eye tracking technology will stop evolving either and the more accurately they can isolate max rendering loads, the better. They're probably forced to use a wide vision cone presently that will only get smaller. I would guess as you move away from focal area the resolution is lowered incrementally to better hide the effect

Last edited:
If that rendering tech is included, that could mean better visuals than standard ps5 games. Monitors cannot track pupils to lower resolution of the rest of the screen. They're forced to render everything at the same resolution or very close.
which is why it's been consistently hard to get modern games in VR without some heavy optimizations and downgrade, and the extra development time for that - and so very few have come.

I really hope that's a thing of the past and performance gains means most games can have VR mode virtually for free.

these people are clearly clueless, because there will still be a central clear sweet spot and blurry borders on the lenses.

eye-tracking is only really useful for performance gains with foveated rendering and also to gaze aim in menus, futuristic shooters perhaps and, ahem, ads in games.

Romulus

Don’t take this the wrong way but this is such an unusual take for what you are most excited about from Vr. I feel the medium is best experienced with games built from the ground up with VR in mind.

I'm in the middle. I love made for VR games but theres something great about just grabbing a controller and blasting through borderlands VR. It's not even a real VR game really but it just works well. Sometimes I'd rather play that way than with motion controls.

CloudNull

Banned
sorry, but had enough with short tech demos. I really want more big actual games.
So do i but I want full length games built for Vr like Alyx. It was not perfect but it really pushed the medium.Guerrilla Cambridge games first vr game was supposedly great but I never played it. Imagine if Sony gave them a massive budget to make a full fledged game. They could still produce their normal games form the regular big hitter studios but then build up true VR studios.

Tygeezy

I'm in the middle. I love made for VR games but theres something great about just grabbing a controller and blasting through borderlands VR. It's not even a real VR game really but it just works well. Sometimes I'd rather play that way than with motion controls.
One of the reasons I really love VR is the forced motion controls. It’s been very irritating to me that Sony has had motion controls built into the DualShock since ps3 and yet it’s barely used. I can’t stand using right stick to aim.

Tygeezy

So do i but I want full length games built for Vr like Alyx. It was not perfect but it really pushed the medium.Guerrilla Cambridge games first vr game was supposedly great but I never played it. Imagine if Sony gave them a massive budget to make a full fledged game. They could still produce their normal games form the regular big hitter studios but then build up true VR studios.
I expect insomniac to make an excellent psvr 2 game. Stormland on Oculus is awesome and they just generally make really fun games.

ZehDon

Did Phil look into a camera and said they want gamepass everywhere - perhaps even on Playstation like the EA thing? Yes.
What a cute little post.

Sony takes a loss on the hardware - Microsoft, too, actually. They make it up by selling games and services exclusive to that hardware. If people subscribe to Microsoft's service, Sony will sell less games to those customers, meaning they'll make less money. However, making "less money" is actually best case scenario for Sony if Gamepass was on PlayStation. Sony saw with their previous PlayStations that people would buy them just to use as DVD players or Bluray players, because they were cost effective. However, Sony lost money with customers like that, because they didn't make money back on games and service sales. With Gamepass, it's possible someone might buy a PS5 and only play Gamepass games. Microsoft itself have positioned their Xbox Series S as a cheap "Gamepass machine". In this situation, Sony would actually lose money for every PS5 they sold. Gamepass can only be profitable for a loss-leading platform holder if you're running the service and the platform.

Sony wouldn't let Gamepass near their platform for all the money in Microsoft's bank accounts.

Last edited:

I'd be more than happy if just all racers and shooters got VR mode - should be for free in any cockpit game and in the case of shooters modders have long shown us how relatively easy and cheap it is to add VR hands and interactions to classic shooters, nothing like a small team of well paid devs in high profile studios can't do better in very short time to their regular games. Foveated rendering should even spare them the trouble of optimizing for VR.

you can wait for the next HL VR in 10 more years if you will.

Tygeezy

I'd be more than happy if just all racers and shooters got VR mode - should be for free in any cockpit game and in the case of shooters modders have long shown us how relatively easy and cheap it is to add VR hands and interactions to classic shooters, nothing like a small team of well paid devs in high profile studios can't do better in very short time to their regular games. Foveated rendering should even spare them the trouble of optimizing for VR.

you can wait for the next HL VR in 10 more years if you will.
I have Alyx and Asgards wrath, but find myself enjoying these “tech demo’s” or “mini games” if you will like In death unchained and Demeo more.

Using a bow in VR is a blast, and the pacing is perfect. Demeo is just great to be able to play a table top game with good friends and like minded people. The co-op experience in VR is next level.

Last edited:

Rudius

Don’t take this the wrong way but this is such an unusual take for what you are most excited about from Vr. I feel the medium is best experienced with games built from the ground up with VR in mind.
I agree with him. Most of the best VR games I played were flat screen ports: Skyrim, No Man's Sky, Drive Club, Resident Evil 7. Indie games built for VR are nice, but always limited in some way, be it length, graphics, content or something else. Ideally I'd like to play AAA games built for VR, but with a small install base that is asking too much. If we can get in VR all the flat games that translate well, all shooters and racers for exemple, I'll play those more than any indie.

Third person games in VR would work as well, Dreams and others demonstrate it can be done. If I could choose to play something like Demon's Souls in VR, immersed in that environment, looking up at the huge dragons flying by, I'd rarely turn on the TV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom