• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US members of Congress accuse Sony of ‘blatant anti-competitive conduct’ in Japan|VGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

US members of Congress accuse Sony of ‘blatant anti-competitive conduct’ in Japan​

THEY CLAIM SONY’S EXCLUSIVITY DEALS ARE DESIGNED TO KEEP JAPANESE GAMES OFF XBOX

2510225d8a2a5c40fab3.02568219-20190924_FFVII-Remake_Screenshot-19-1280x720.jpg

A number of members of Congress have accused Sony of engaging in anti-competitive behaviour in Japan, at the expense of Xbox.

Politico reports that Democratic senator Maria Cantwell made the claim during a Senate Finance Committee hearing on Thursday, calling on US trade representative Katherine Tai to raise the issue with Japan during trade talks.

Cantwell’s claim was supported by two letters – one from four Republican members of Congress, the other from six Democrats – which also called on Tai and commerce secretary Gina Raimondo to take action.

The accusation being made is that Sony delibarately makes exclusivity deals with third-party publishers that are designed to ensure Xbox doesn’t gain a foothold in Japan.

“I’m told that Sony controls a monopoly of 98% of the high-end game market, yet Japan’s government has allowed Sony to engage in blatant anti-competitive conduct through exclusive deals and payments to game publishers,” Cantwell said during the hearing.

The corresponding Republican letter claims: “We understand that Sony, which holds 98% of the market, pays third-party game publishers not to make their content available on Xbox and systematically negotiates exclusivity arrangements that keep the most popular games in Japan off Xbox.”

Both letters claim that by not acting on these alleged anti-competitive practices, Japan is effectively putting a US company at a disadvantage.

“The Japanese government’s effective policy of non-prosecution when it comes to Sony appears to be a serious barrier to U.S. exports, with real impacts for Microsoft and the many U.S. game developers and publishers that sell globally but see their earnings in Japan depressed by these practices,” it claims.

“Such policies can distort trade every bit as much as high tariffs or non-tariff barriers like discriminatory licensing practices, with the same result of allowing a domestic incumbent to protect its market share from foreign competitors.”

Sony has secured a number of third-party titles as PlayStation console exclusives over the years, some of which have come from Japanese publishers. One of the most notable examples of this is the company’s ties with Square Enix, which have seen Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI excluded from Xbox.

Another key example from last generation was Capcom‘s Street Fighter V, which has remained exclusive to PS4 and PC ever since its release in 2016.

According to Axios, the raising of this issue may have been in some way influenced by Microsoft. Although the publication can’t definitively say to what extent this is the case, it does claim to have knowledge that Microsoft’s government affairs team discussed the issue with members of Congress.

Microsoft spokesperson David Cuddy also told Axios: “Sony’s anti-competitive tactics deserve discussion, and we welcome further investigation to ensure a level playing field in the video game industry.”

Cyborg

I personally think that the US politicians have bigger concerns at the moment than to pressure on foreign parties to investigate.

BbMajor7th

The corresponding Republican letter claims: “We understand that Sony, which holds 98% of the market, pays third-party game publishers not to make their content available on Xbox and systematically negotiates exclusivity arrangements that keep the most popular games in Japan off Xbox.”
Researching their legal complaints on Reddit it seems. In reality, publishers enter into partnership deals with platform holders of their own accord. Platform holders can bring huge promotional weight to a product through strategic co-marketing deals, in return their main bargaining chip is exclusivity...

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I mean look at the bottom of this thread. It was already posted and already closed lol
Didn't pop up when I made the thread and I can see the personal "spin" in that thread - and there's none in this, so maybe we can discuss without getting personal.

But who am I kidding
BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

flame away and close thread

Ozriel

M$FT
I updated with the thread.

It’s a closed thread, though.

Mod edit: given the pathetic state of the last thread this will not be a topic that gets it own thread. It will also not be an outlet for those who have been reply banned from the acquisition topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom