• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2021

Bullet Club

Switch #1 in HW sales. PS5 #1 in dollar sales.

Blm6fTq.jpg

Damn, I thought we were passed Madden debuting at #1. Or maybe that was just a dream?

Still surprised at how well BOTW is doing in all parts of the world. Zelda isn't known for these kind of legs.
Madden has been #1 in release month for like over a decade. Not sure why you thought we were passed that.

graywolf323

Gold Member
kinda hoped with all the negative press that Madden wouldn't be #1 for once but oh well

that's exactly why EA get away with it, people keep buying it every year no matter what

has a game ever jumped so high from a previous month as Ghost of Tsushima did? :messenger_astonished:

Rykan

MK8 has got to be close to some sort of world record. GOAT for sure.
It's become one of those "default" games that basically everyone picks up. Well deserved, it's an incredible game and I genuinely hope that its continued success is not the reason we haven't had a MK9 yet.

Kjtc1979

It's behind the GBA and Switch now.
PS5 (and Switch) have always been behind GBA. It fell behind Switch this month, which is categorized by NPD as a home console, so they’ve added the PlayStation qualifier. This was expected because PS5 launched in November and Switch In March, so Switch now includes its first December when launch windows are aligned. PS5 will be back in the lead, most likely, once it has its second November. Somewhere along the line, they’ll both fall behind Wii for a bit, but not for too long.

Last edited:
You do need HW to use a gaming service? Arent the majority of GP subs on Xbox rather than on PC.
MS is moving to have current generation games on the X1 using Game pass. People that play there won't be seen on the NPD. You also aren't going to see Xbox hardware sales when people play on PC, or mobile. Only Sony and Nintendo rely solely on console sales to move their software.

What about HW?
I think it's the same case for hardware, Microsoft is focused on their games and services on multiple platforms so as long as you buy them they will be happy.
MS is moving to have current generation games on the X1 using Game pass. People that play there won't be seen on the NPD. You also aren't going to see Xbox hardware sales when people play on PC, or mobile. Only Sony and Nintendo rely solely on console sales to move their software.
For how long?

Bryank75

Banned
Damn 13 of the top 20 software are just Nintendo and Sony.

My takeaway too.... 1st party is more important than ever, exclusives are the most popular and highest quality.

Xbox saw this trend too and that's why they invested big.

They just don't seem to understand that PC ports kinda shit on that whole vibe.

Time for Sony to go big and aim to double their representation on the charts.

Top Bottom