• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2021

elliot5

I think it's the same case for hardware, Microsoft is focused on their games and services on multiple platforms so as long as you buy them they will be happy.

For how long?
Forever...? It's moving over via xCloud streaming so all X|S games will be on the Cloud and therefore playable on Xbox One via streaming

I think it's the same case for hardware, Microsoft is focused on their games and services on multiple platforms so as long as you buy them they will be happy.

For how long?
The current time frame is Holiday 2021 for Game pass streaming on consoles. Once that is active MS can develop games for XSX|S but allow streaming of those new titles on the X1. This again won't help their new console sales numbers but it will allow more people into their ecosystem and that is what they care about the most.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS is moving to have current generation games on the X1 using Game pass. People that play there won't be seen on the NPD. You also aren't going to see Xbox hardware sales when people play on PC, or mobile. Only Sony and Nintendo rely solely on console sales to move their software.
True. Although more Xbox hardware always helps.

Nintendo and Sony are still in disc/digital copy sales mode. Perfectly fine. But MS is trying to skew to sub plans across devices.

It's like Adobe not selling $800 copies of Photoshop anymore for years. If anyone wants PS, you got to do a monthly sub plan.

Any software tracker would say Adobe PS has zero sales for almost 10 years. But the company is at record sales and profits and stock price..

Nintendo and Sony are still in disc/digital copy sales mode. Perfectly fine. But MS is trying to skew to sub plans across devices.

It's like Adobe not selling $800 copies of Photoshop anymore for years. If anyone wants PS, you got to do a monthly sub plan.

Any software tracker would say Adobe PS has zero sales for almost 10 years. But the company is at record sales and profits and stock price..
Of course more vectors help. That is why MS designed the XSS. It's the least expensive current gen console on the market and it's pretty easy to get. It's also still being manufactured so as time go forward those X1s will get replaced and the XSS won't need to stream current gen game at all. MS is doing everything they can to remove barriers to their ecosystem.

Bodomism

Banned
NHUxz2E.gif

kwIyaMD.gif

After 4 years and 5 months and still on the chart even without digital sales data and price promotion. Without a doubt it's a testament of the greatest game of all time.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Why do people buy a COD title so close to a new title? Activision removes a lot of servers and the game just becomes a huge advertisement for their new title when it launches.

Hezekiah

Banned

Maybe we'll see this when GamePass is in profit??

Still feels like the vast majority of subscribers will be Xbox/PC for the time being.

Psychonauts bombed hard which is a shame because it's an amazing game.

Meanwhile GoT is singing at $70 even though a lot of people said paying that price was bullshit and no one would pay extra for it.

Congrats to Sony and Nintendo. MS really needs to get their first party act together. Exclusives are more important than ever.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
It absolutely will outpace switch after the holidays
The 2021 holidays? No chance.

If you're talking about launch aligned only if Sony produces more PS5's than Nintendo did Switch's they could, but it's going to depend if they can still sell everything they ship and how far behind they are after Nintendo's launch aligned holiday. Demand has seen a 30% decrease with scalpers. The situation in January may slow down some.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

If you're talking about launch aligned only if Sony produces more PS5's than Nintendo did Switch's they could, but it's going to depend if they can still sell everything they ship and how far behind they are after Nintendo's launch aligned holiday. Demand has seen a 30% decrease with scalpers. The situation in January may slow down some.
Sony will retake the lead because it will have two holidays in the period compared to Switch’s one holiday. The same see-sawing happened between PS4 and Switch when they were being compared.

Going into 2022. Its going to completely depend on solving the stock shortages

They're going to sell every PS5 they can ship. There's no question about that

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Going into 2022. Its going to completely depend on solving the stock shortages

They're going to sell every PS5 they can ship. There's no question about that
Another factor to consider will be the Nintendo Wii in the launch aligned race. I think by the time PS5 catches Switch if Sony can meet production and continue demand, the Nintendo Wii will have supplanted both. The PS5 may have a few months of retaining the fastest selling again only to fall behind the Wii. Obviously the Switch ended up passing the Wii launch aligned, but it fell behind for a long stretch, we're going to have to see if PS5 is capable of going into that 25 million plus yearly selling beast mode that Wii and Switch did. The best PS4 could do in a year was 20 million after nearly a decade on the market.

Last edited:

yazenov

Good showing from Sony and Nintendo.

MS dead last in term of software and hardware as usual, even in their home turf. Its not looking good worldwide.

At least Gamepass is the best value in Gaming............. acccording to MS. Funny thing is that the consumers beg to defer from those charts by choosing other platforms.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think its on gamepass on pc and xbox but yeah I agree they should have done A native ps5 version. Game is absolutely frigging incredible.

Sure, but Flight Simulator, Minecraft, and Forza Horizon 4 are on Game Pass as well and they got on the Xbox chart. Not a reflection of the quality of the game (although I haven't played it yet), but maybe a sequel to a game that came out so long ago isn't appealing to many? Not sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Psychonauts 2 came out last week of August, bit doesnt matter. If it cant crack a top 20 overall, it's got issues.

But I'm not surprised. I always considered Psychonauts with games like Oddworld, Perfect Dark and Beyond Good and Evil. A lot of fans bring them up on forums. But I dont think any of these games have ever been giant sellers in any way. Might be wrong.

Three

22 year long streak for Madden is nuts.

Wish we knew sales data for Psychonauts 2 but it's not physical
The xbox chart includes both digital and physical. Psychonauts 2 didn't chart at all but it was released near the end of August so it didn't stand a chance anyway.

Psychonauts 2 came out last week of August, bit doesnt matter. If it cant crack a top 20 overall, it's got issues.

But I'm not surprised. I always considered Psychonauts with games like Oddworld, Perfect Dark and Beyond Good and Evil. A lot of fans bring them up on forums. But I dont think any of these games have ever been giant sellers in any way. Might be wrong.
Nothing wrong about it. The last Psychonauts was a cult classic but didn't sell well. There is a reason it had to be crowd funded initially. This is just another case of a good game that won't sell well. It is what it is. Still glad it exists.

Top Bottom