• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD May 2022 - Lowest Month since Feb 2020

reksveks

I guess the state of the US economy was going to hit the entertainment industry. Its one of the first spending segments of household budgets that gets tightened.
I get analyst's weren't thinking about inflation before but that global 4% console growth forecast seems really stupid now

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Subscription content is the only category showing year-on-year spending growth."

- Xbox Series is the only HW platform showing YoY dollar sales growth, either in May or YTD, very good year for Xbox thus far

Good stuff. GG Team Xbox and Phil. Let's get that XB One stank out of our systems.

Last edited:
Xbox may be about to surpass PS5 in the USA at this point right? Or is it still far? I have no idea...but it seems from February to May things were bad for Sony in there. They seem to be prioritizing other places as well

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Angry Bruce Lee GIF

Gaming peaked during pandemic, all these publishers chasing that sweet money by building bajillion service games are in for a rude awakening when consumer spending normalizes due to not being locked in at home all the time.
Yeah a lot of companies/industries completely misread the effect of the pandemic on consumer trends and are getting blasted for it, gaming isn't going to be immune so it will be interesting to see how the upcoming flood of GaaS games are received.

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of companies/industries completely misread the affect of the pandemic on consumer trends and are getting blasted for it, gaming isn't going to be immune so it will be interesting to see how the upcoming flood of GaaS games are received.
That's obvious. Similar to MMOs.

MMOs can actually be cost effective for consumers if they just pick one game and stick to it. If all you play is one GaaS game then you probably don't really spend that much money on games, but get hundreds of hours out of it.

So like MMOs, success will consolidate within just a few games that take everyone's time. All the rest will drop off.

Desless1

I predicted this multiple times and got laughed at. When people start running low on money, subs will be more attractive.

This is actually an interesting bit of the puzzle. Is this confirmed to be the case in general with subscription services?

On the flip side it's easy to also pause these services if the wallet require it. At the same time, you can subscribe a few months to reach one full priced game.

Is this confirmed to be the case in general with subscription services?
Probably not the case all the time. The service still has to be compelling or it will get dropped. Netflix is shedding subs.

But I think that there's still lots of room for growth in gaming subs. They're not even close to Netflix numbers. And gaming subs are substantially cheaper than alternative options a lot of the time.

Fake

The economy is crashing if anybody hasn’t realized it yet. We’re going through the worst one since WWII days if anybody wants an idea.

Well, remember the COVID start? And people like 'physical media are dying' without taking into consideration the pandemic?

Looks much like the same case. People will deny that.

Biggest surprise to me is GT7 seemingly having better legs than Horizon. I would've imagined it to be the other way round, especially in the US (GT is bigger in Europe).

Another thing that stood out to me, once Xbox owns Activision, Xbox charts are gonna be mostly 1st party games, just like Nintendo. Interesting.

Also the obligatory "Nintendo is a beast" comment. They have 8 evergreen titles in the top 20, and they don't even count digital sales. Absolute dominance.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

When gas is $7 a gallon a $299 barrier of entry for next gen turned out to be a brilliant move coupled with Game Pass.
The Series S being available in droves everywhere and even being discounted is probably a bigger factor in its success than anything else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Americans basically paying European prices for gas... you love to see it.
Haha. So true.

Now Americans know what it’s like paying big gas prices. Even just over the border, I’d estimate the avg gas price is 25% more expensive here after currency conversion. Always been like that. Smokes and booze are similar.

It’s amazing when you see the price of gas before COVID in places like Oklahoma where it’s be like half the cost.

Kagey K

Banned
Haha. So true.

Now Americans know what it’s like paying big gas prices. Even just over the border, I’d estimate the avg gas price is 25% more expensive here after currency conversion. Always been like that. Smokes and booze are similar.

It’s amazing when you see the price of gas before COVID in places like Oklahoma where it’s be like half the cost.
We got to see the benefit of low fuel costs for like 2 months in 2020. 69c/L.

Too bad there was nowhere to go during that time. 😅

reksveks

Ted Lasso was/is 8
Severance is a 10
For All Mankind started like 9 and is now a 7 but need to watch the latest season.

The game parody one and prehistoric planet is background watches for me.

Hezekiah

Banned
Microsoft / Xbox are going to reclaim America in 2022 aren't they?

Crazy when you think they haven't released anything. Sony has had both Horizon and GT and they have been third all year. They need to get that hardware to USA asap.
Nah, people are just buying everything available.

Not to mention that until very recently MS were pushing the idea that Starfield and Redfall would be out this year, and suggesting the same for Forza 8 too.

Top Bottom