• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD October 2021

EDMIX

You just don't understand how NPD works.

The Last of Us Part II has been $20-$40 for the most part of 2021. That means it's going to be much harder to chart since the revenue is lower.

D7wCz_ZUwAAJzJA.jpg

74540_52_the-last-of-us-part-ii-is-sonys-3rd-best-money-making-game-in_full.jpg

Marvel's Spider-Man, God of War, and The Last of Us surpassed Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone in less than two months on the overall NPD charts for published games.

They rank in DOLLAR SALES, not units sold.

$20 x 50,000 = $1,000,000.
$50 x 30,000 = $1,500,000.

This means The Last of Us could sell 20k less and still rank under Ghost of Tsushima in the sales charts, but that doesn't mean it sold more units.

E_P16mQVQAM7txz

July 2021
23 - The Last of Us Part II
37 - Ghost of Tsushima

August 2021
2 - Ghost of Tsushima
10 - The Last of Us Part II

Director's Cut was released August 2021 and The Last of Us Part II was on sale during this month as the article states.

Full-priced title vs discounted one. You cannot determine how many units were sold versus Ghost of Tsushima.

NPD is revenue, not units sold. You can't keep spinning information because you want to believe something totally different.

Agreed.

A game doesn't even need to chart in the top 20 NPD for a long ass time and can still have moved record units. Because of this I think many people are confused so they get this shock at when shit like Fallout 4, or Star Wars Battlefront or Far Cry 5 or The Division etc move record units, they want the narrative that "OHHHH MY a drop in sales, ohhhhh look its not on da CHARTZ" and then quietly go under a bed when the record units are announced lol So I've seen this many, many times before.

Even myself thought for sure maybe The DIvision really did flop, maybe it didn't move 20 million units, I mean its not on the top 20 and its been gone for pretty much the whole year etc annnnnnnnnd 20 million units later. It showed that a game dropping from the top 20 is so normal, that a few months in the top 10 doesn't mean gloom cause it didn't say there, its not the norm for any game to just stay in the top 10, even GTA V launched and dropped 80% after launch and it moved over 100 plus million units thus far.

So....it seems a game doesn't really need to live in that top 20 to move record units. We saw that with God Of War and Uncharted and many more, they disappeared from the charts after a few months and pretty much never came back into the top 15 or top 20, yet moved 20 million and 16 million units respectively.

I'll one day make a chart that shows a game that moved 20 million, that only stated in the top 20 for a few months, but went on to move record units. As in...NPD or any chart really isn't the full story, using such logic we must question how The Diviision or Far Cry or Star Wars Battlefront moved record units, yet only has a short while in the top charts or charted at all.

E Edder1 "10 million or just before that." just stop bud. or just before? As in any fucking title that can move under that in which they didn't mention 10 million? But hey, also "just before that" you are basically making some whole strawman to make it sound like you really just mean "just before that"

Sir...I'll name a title based on your fucking statement you made before, not this strawman crap to make yourself feel better or something lol

"Sony always mentions 10 million milestone for all its games"

Sony did not do this for Spiderman, they told us it sold 9 million, then 13, then 20. Not 10.

Sony did not do this for Uncharted 4 either, they told us 8.7 million and then 15 million, 16 million etc.

Let it go man. You made weird statement of something Sony has never stated some policy of this, something they have never made some default and had to walk it back to some shit like "or just before"

Yea...or not at 10 million exactly right? Like what I fucking stated before? That it was never exactly always, 100% at 10 million they told us this, some times they skipped it? Right? Is that what you are not trying to claim you meant the whole time Eddie? lol

Never make absolutes you can't back up. Once you jump into this whole "except" or "just before" and "only time they" etc, maybe you should have not made that statement if you didn't know it wasn't a default thing for real...as a few "excepts" and "only times" may have just ended up hurting that point. Maybe let that one go bud lol Added to ignore, you can't get this fucking triggered over factual information. Look it up and THEN POST lol Even I had to be sure and just looked it up.

Have a good one man.

Last edited:

Edder1

You just don't understand how NPD works.

The Last of Us Part II has been $20-$40 for the most part of 2021. That means it's going to be much harder to chart since the revenue is lower.

D7wCz_ZUwAAJzJA.jpg

74540_52_the-last-of-us-part-ii-is-sonys-3rd-best-money-making-game-in_full.jpg

Marvel's Spider-Man, God of War, and The Last of Us surpassed Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone in less than two months on the overall NPD charts for published games.

They rank in DOLLAR SALES, not units sold.

$20 x 50,000 = $1,000,000.
$50 x 30,000 = $1,500,000.

This means The Last of Us could sell 20k less and still rank under Ghost of Tsushima in the sales charts, but that doesn't mean it sold more units.

E_P16mQVQAM7txz

July 2021
23 - The Last of Us Part II
37 - Ghost of Tsushima

August 2021
2 - Ghost of Tsushima
10 - The Last of Us Part II

Director's Cut was released August 2021 and The Last of Us Part II was on sale during this month as the article states.

Full-priced title vs discounted one. You cannot determine how many units were sold versus Ghost of Tsushima.

NPD is revenue, not units sold. You can't keep spinning information because you want to believe something totally different.
Provide evidence that TLOU2 was being sold at lower enough price than Ghost that it made it not chart in NPD top 20. The only thing you're proving with this claim is that TLOU2 was selling poorly long term and therefore they had to drop price, which actually proves my point of it selling poorly beyond early sales.

Last edited:

Edder1

Agreed.

A game doesn't even need to chart in the top 20 NPD for a long ass time and can still have moved record units. Because of this I think many people are confused so they get this shock at when shit like Fallout 4, or Star Wars Battlefront or Far Cry 5 or The Division etc move record units, they want the narrative that "OHHHH MY a drop in sales, ohhhhh look its not on da CHARTZ" and then quietly go under a bed when the record units are announced lol So I've seen this many, many times before.

Even myself thought for sure maybe The DIvision really did flop, maybe it didn't move 20 million units, I mean its not on the top 20 and its been gone for pretty much the whole year etc annnnnnnnnd 20 million units later. It showed that a game dropping from the top 20 is so normal, that a few months in the top 10 doesn't mean gloom cause it didn't say there, its not the norm for any game to just stay in the top 10, even GTA V launched and dropped 80% after launch and it moved over 100 plus million units thus far.

So....it seems a game doesn't really need to live in that top 20 to move record units. We saw that with God Of War and Uncharted and many more, they disappeared from the charts after a few months and pretty much never came back into the top 15 or top 20, yet moved 20 million and 16 million units respectively.

I'll one day make a chart that shows a game that moved 20 million, that only stated in the top 20 for a few months, but went on to move record units. As in...NPD or any chart really isn't the full story, using such logic we must question how The Diviision or Far Cry or Star Wars Battlefront moved record units, yet only has a short while in the top charts or charted at all.

E Edder1 "10 million or just before that." just stop bud. or just before? As in any fucking title that can move under that in which they didn't mention 10 million? But hey, also "just before that" you are basically making some whole strawman to make it sound like you really just mean "just before that"

Sir...I'll name a title based on your fucking statement you made before, not this strawman crap to make yourself feel better or something lol

"Sony always mentions 10 million milestone for all its games"

Sony did not do this for Spiderman, they told us it sold 9 million, then 13, then 20. Not 10.

Sony did not do this for Uncharted 4 either, they told us 8.7 million and then 15 million, 16 million etc.

Let it go man. You made weird statement of something Sony has never stated, something they have never made some default and had to walk it back to some shit like "or just before"

Yea...or not at 10 million exactly right? Like what I fucking stated before? That it was never exactly always, 100% at 10 million they told us this, some times they skipped it? Right? Is that what you are not trying to claim you meant the whole time Eddie? lol

Never make absolutes you can't back up. Once you jump into this wole "except" or "just before" and "only time they" etc, maybe you should have not made that statement if you didn't know it wasn't a default thing for real a few "excepts" and "only times" may have existed hurting that point. Maybe let that one go bud lol

Have a good one man.
You said Sony sometimes skips mentioning numbers at 10 million or before that, so ask you again, name that one game where they did this. Name one.

Last edited:

EDMIX

i dont think you'll get through to him guys. he clearly has a deep hatred for the last of us part 2 that blocks out any reasoning.

I'm saying. I've never seen something like that....like ever, had to add em to that ignore graveyard shadow realm

Even if I hate a title and don't care for it as on here you guys already know what I don't like and do like many times, its not like I go out of my way to pretend a factual number doesn't exist, or something happens to "all games" that doesn't or some odd shit like that lol

I think with sales, many times people think that a company has a usual way of doing things and we see this often. Like Ubisoft puts their games on sale like every fall, yet people STILL make it sound like a game going on sale by them MUST mean it flopped.

We've seen them do that with games that broke records though, but because of this narrative, people have this belief of something, then try to turn it into some policy by the pubisher and then start making things up etc.

For me, I need to know for sure...has this happened before, have they made an official statement on such a thing on why its on sale, has it sold this prior? etc. Before I see something as unusal, I first need to know what usual is. Its easy with gamers to ignore that and run on a bunch of fudd, myths, old narratives etc. I can't tell anyone what isn't normal, without looking up what is normal first. Even if I don't care for an IP, if that shit is moving record units, who am I to say its not based on some personal thing? lol Call Of Duty probably going to move another 30 million on that next game even if I hate that shit lol fuck that got to do with me? lol

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Provide evidence that TLOU2 was being sold at lower enough price than Ghost that it made it not chart in NPD top 20.
Prove to me that Ghost of Tsushima charted higher when both games didn't appear on the Top 20/Top10 PS4 charts.

You can't.

There's only one instance there it shows The Last of Us charting higher than Ghost and that's during July. You can't say how many units sold versus the other because we don't have the units sold figures.

Switch = Units leader during this first quarter.
PS5 = more in dollars.

Dollars sales doesn't equal more units sold.
The only thing you're proving with this claim is that TLOU2 was selling poorly long term and therefore they had to drop price, which actually proves my point of it selling poorly beyond early sales.

Look at the discounted price history of God of War. You'll realize that it was discounted more of just as much as The Last of US.

You're proving my point that you don't know anything about sales data and you're just winging it during this debate.

I can tell you're just going to keep spinning this but I'm merely stating facts while you're just....guessing.

We'll see what happens when they announce the sales figures and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of excuses from many people.

Bragr

Banned
Powerful doesnt mean nothing for gaming. you might have higher resolution, but that is it.

Your COD, FIFA, and other MP games are still on ps4. The ps5, just have some nice textures, that is all.

People wouldnt upgrade their device, because its stronger. They do it, because its a new device from PlayStation. Same as how people buy new iPhone every year. Its all about the brand.
Huh? next-gen consoles sell heaps because it pushes better graphics. It's a huge selling point and the main reason for the new gen. If the ps5 had the same power level of the ps4, it wouldnt do much.

Edder1

Prove to me that Ghost of Tsushima charted higher when both games didn't appear on the Top 20/Top10 PS4 charts.
I don't have to prove anything to you since Ghost charted 5 times on the charts and TLOU2 3 times. You on the other hand claim lower price in defense of TLOU2 that you haven't backed up with any evidence yet. Contrary to your claim the video I uploaded above proves TLOU2 was selling for $60 for a year, so your claims regarding price drop are false.

Last edited:

Woopah

I think Switch will turn Metroid into a huge AAA franchise. It will be the next Nintendo big franchise

Right now The Big Five is
1. Mario
2. Pokemon
3. Zelda
4. Animal Crossing
5. Smash Bros

Metroid will make it The Big Six
Splatoon is up there too. I can't see Metroid surpassing that anytime soon.
So they announced it before it sold 10 million and then after during different quarters? Well, that makes perfect sense, lol.

So what we have where is definite proof that for all games they either mention sales just before the game hits 10 million or thereafter. So ask you again, where are the numbers for TLOU2? According to you it should sell 10 million by now and it's not known that Sony would delay mentioning such numbers.

I'm enjoying seeing you do mental gymnastics, lol.
They could easily announce updated sales figures when factions comes out or when the TV show comes out. I think it's too premature to say anything yet.

Edder1

They could easily announce updated sales figures when factions comes out or when the TV show comes out. I think it's too premature to say anything yet.
They may do so and they may not, right now we can only go off of what we know. TLOU2 sales trajectory was worse than that of all other top sellers from Sony during PS4 era. We also know about 80%+ drop in sales after first week that was quoted by many analysts. It did really impressive numbers in the beginning and then didn't have the legs. That is the whole point of my argument, that Ghost sold more consistently over longer period of time and had longer legs than TLOU2. if TLOU2 kept same trajectory as Uncharted 4 and other top sellers from Sony it would have easily sold 20 million by now, instead no numbers beyond 4 million (first 3 days) were ever quoted.

Last edited:

Woopah

They may do so and they may not, right now we can only go off of what we know. TLOU2 sales trajectory was worse than that of all other top sellers from Sony during PS4 era. We also know about 80%+ drop in sales after first week that was quoted by many analysts. It did really impressive numbers in the beginning and then didn't have the legs. That is the whole point of my argument, that Ghost sold more consistently over longer period of time and had longer legs than TLOU2. if TLOU2 kept same trajectory as Uncharted 4 and other top sellers from Sony it would have easily sold 20 million by now, instead no numbers beyond 4 million (first 3 days) were ever quoted.
We can say Ghost had better legs in Japan and probably in the US, while TLOU2 probably has better legs in Europe. Which is better overall? We don't know.

kingfey

Banned
Huh? next-gen consoles sell heaps because it pushes better graphics. It's a huge selling point and the main reason for the new gen. If the ps5 had the same power level of the ps4, it wouldnt do much.
Again, its the brand, not power.

If they cared about power, they will go to pc.

Edder1

We can say Ghost had better legs in Japan and probably in the US, while TLOU2 probably has better legs in Europe. Which is better overall? We don't know.
I would argue as I already have that US and Japan are more important since they almost double the number of users in Europe. Final numbers could still be higher for TLOU2 and they may very well be as it had a considerable advantage from early sales, but I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference between them in the end.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Again, its the brand, not power.

If they cared about power, they will go to pc.
There are hundreds of millions who only want some simply shit to hook up to their tv, they don't give a fuck about pc gaming. People flock to great looking games all the time. It's a huge selling point. you really think the ps5 would sell as well if it had the power of the switch just because of brand?

kingfey

Banned
There are hundreds of millions who only want some simply shit to hook up to their tv, they don't give a fuck about pc gaming. People flock to great looking games all the time. It's a huge selling point. you really think the ps5 would sell as well if it had the power of the switch just because of brand?
If ps5 was like switch, people would have bought alot. Even ps4 would have hit 200m.

Switch is mini handle held, which makes it more convenient to play it anywhere. Nothing to do with power at all.

Alandring

If ps5 was like switch, people would have bought alot. Even ps4 would have hit 200m.

Switch is mini handle held, which makes it more convenient to play it anywhere. Nothing to do with power at all.
People buy a Switch for Nintendo games, and a PlayStation for third party games. I mostly agree with you (I hope Sony will one day release a PlayStation 5/PlayStation 6 Portable, compatible with every game released on the home console), but the priority for Sony should be to create an environment that third party publishers like. If PlayStation 4 was as weak as Nintendo Switch is, I really doubt Sony would have sold as much consoles.

Bragr

Banned

im talking about if the ps5 has the power level of the switch, or even the ps4, not if it was a handheld lol

Lognor

Banned
Splatoon is up there too. I can't see Metroid surpassing that anytime soon.

Good point on Splatoon.

And just thinking, it's crazy to me that Nintendo has an extremely successful competitive online game and Sony doesn't. Microsoft has several, Nintendo has one, and Sony has ZERO. So much money left on the table by zero. And by the list of most played PS5 games at least 6 of them are competitive online games. What the heck is Sony doing not trying to take advantage of that market? Even Nintendo found success there! That says something.

kingfey

Banned
im talking about if the ps5 has the power level of the switch, or even the ps4, not if it was a handheld lol
It will be inferior to switch.

Switch weak power comes from the handle set. Otherwise, it wouldn't be weak. It will be like the n64 power. On par with ps4 and x1.

But because its handle held, it's power is weak.

kingfey

Banned
People buy a Switch for Nintendo games, and a PlayStation for third party games. I mostly agree with you (I hope Sony will one day release a PlayStation 5/PlayStation 6 Portable, compatible with every game released on the home console), but the priority for Sony should be to create an environment that third party publishers like. If PlayStation 4 was as weak as Nintendo Switch is, I really doubt Sony would have sold as much consoles.
For 3rd party, it's too easy. Do 20% cut. Tons of publishers will flock to your system. And even do timed exclusive for you..

The higher the power, the more the game will cost. Compare ps4 games to ps3. They are much more expensive. And ps5 will be even more expensive.

All the power will do is limit high quality games, due to their budget.

Bragr

Banned
It will be inferior to switch.

Switch weak power comes from the handle set. Otherwise, it wouldn't be weak. It will be like the n64 power. On par with ps4 and x1.

But because its handle held, it's power is weak.
I have no idea what you are talking about?

I am saying, if the PS5 didn't have the power it had, it the games didn't look better than PS4 or Switch games, it would not sell as much. The power is important to sell the product and drive hype.

Good point on Splatoon.

And just thinking, it's crazy to me that Nintendo has an extremely successful competitive online game and Sony doesn't. Microsoft has several, Nintendo has one, and Sony has ZERO. So much money left on the table by zero. And by the list of most played PS5 games at least 6 of them are competitive online games. What the heck is Sony doing not trying to take advantage of that market? Even Nintendo found success there! That says something.

Don't we have enough online multilplayer games? Why should Sony add to it. It's a waste of resources and how much of a chance is there that they would actually succeed when the multilayer crowd are too busy with cod, fifa and fortnite? They should expand and double down on their single player content and let the 3rd party publishers handle the online and GAAS stuff.

Last edited:
Good point on Splatoon.

Sony has like 5 of these games in production right now so unfortunately you’ll get your wish in the next two years

Lognor

Banned
Don't we have enough online multilplayer games? Why should Sony add to it. It's a waste of resources and how much of a chance is there that they would actually succeed when the multilayer crowd are too busy with cod, fifa and fortnite? They should expand and double down on their single player content and let the 3rd party publishers handle the online and GAAS stuff.
Their focus on single player is too much. That's like all they do. It's enough!

And how do you call it a waste of resources when the vast majority of the successful games on PS5 are online multiplayer games! And it sounds like Sony finally wised up as the other poster stated and they will be focusing on multiplayer games...which is a good thing!

Like I said, when Nintendo has found success in this area and Sony hasn't you know there is a problem! Glad they are looking to rectify this! And hopefully these games come to PC day one (they might if sony wants their best chance at success).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All this talk of Last of Us 2 and I think the big telling news will be if Druckmanns next big game is this new IP. If it is, then it might be that Sony decided not to greenlight Last of Us 3 immediately. That might be telling, it also might not mean shit lol.

Saber

Gold Member

How is premature to talk about how well did the sales of their own game? How many time does it needs? Does that means the games needs other sources to help the sales?

I also didn't get this "when". Did they announced something or is it again an another possibility?

All this talk of Last of Us 2 and I think the big telling news will be if Druckmanns next big game is this new IP. If it is, then it might be that Sony decided not to greenlight Last of Us 3 immediately. That might be telling, it also might not mean shit lol.

Its means about as much as Cory Barlog making a new IP instead of GoW

Successful IP creation is just as valuable as increasing the popularity of a current franchise. Sony wouldn’t be pushing TLOU tv series if they thought the IP wasn’t already super valuable. Between the show, the re-releases and factions it’s gonna be an overload by the end of next year

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't have to prove anything to you since Ghost charted 5 times on the charts and TLOU2 3 times. You on the other hand claim lower price in defense of TLOU2 that you haven't backed up with any evidence yet.

Contrary to your claim the video I uploaded above proves TLOU2 was selling for $60 for a year, so your claims regarding price drop are false.

$40 - September
$40 - October
$39 - November PSN store on black friday
$20-$30 in stores
$20-$30 - December

Let me guess, you thought it was full price for a year because the video said it received a permanent price drop in July when in fact it was cheaper, even before the official price cut.

You're making claims up as you go along and you're quickly getting exposed for it.

Even right now the Last of Us Part II is cheaper than Ghost of Tsushima. You and others wanted to prove this this means it's not selling well when you can easily look at God of War's price history and find out yourself. Even Spider-Man's price officially dropped in less than 5 months after its release.

If I keep catching you in lies, then maybe time to stop making up bogus claims.

Edder1

$40 - September
$40 - October
$39 - November PSN store on black friday
$20-$30 in stores
$20-$30 - December

Let me guess, you thought it was full price for a year because the video said it received a permanent price drop in July when in fact it was cheaper, even before the official price cut.

You're making claims up as you go along and you're quickly getting exposed for it.

Even right now the Last of Us Part II is cheaper than Ghost of Tsushima. You and others wanted to prove this this means it's not selling well when you can easily look at God of War's price history and find out yourself. Even Spider-Man's price officially dropped in less than 5 months after its release.

If I keep catching you in lies, then maybe time to stop making up bogus claims.
You can find the same for Ghost so I don't see your point.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I would argue as I already have that US and Japan are more important since they almost double the number of users in Europe. Final numbers could still be higher for TLOU2 and they may very well be as it had a considerable advantage from early sales, but I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference between them in the end.
Where's your source that US and Japan are more the double the PS users in Europe.

I really would like to see how this is possible considering US and Japan console sales combined wouldn't have more consoles sold than EU.

But go ahead, show me how US and Japan have more than double the number of users in Europe.

You can find the same for Ghost so I don't see your point.

It's painfully obvious that you're making up lies and hoping that it's true.

Edder1

It's painfully obvious that you're making up lies and hoping that it's true.
You're starting to come across as petulant and desperate with your accusations as you obviously haven't done your research.

Here are are just some of the discounts that were available last year for Ghost of Tsushima:

40$ at ShopTo eBay (September 2020):
25% off its digital RRP (September 2020):
40$ in October 2020:
40$ Black Friday 2020:
December Holiday sale:
40$ GameStop in December:

See, your false narrative completely crumbles and you've come across as amateurish by throwing accusations without having done your research.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You're starting to come across as petulant and desperate with your accusations as you obviously haven't done your research.

Here are are just some of the discounts that were available last year for Ghost of Tsushima:

40$ at ShopTo eBay (September 2020):
25% off its digital RRP (September 2020):
40$ in October 2020:
40$ Black Friday 2020:
December Holiday sale:
40$ GameStop in December:

See, your false narrative completely crumbles and you've come across as amateurish by throwing accusations without having done your research.

Do you realize that the sites I showed you also had GoT discounted?

The Last of Us Part II was $10-$25 cheaper. Even the sites you showed me proves that and that's my exact point.

Again, where's the evidence that US and JP are more the double the PS4 users?

Edder1

Do you realize that the sites I showed you also had GoT discounted?

The Last of Us Part II was $10-$25 cheaper. Even the sites you showed me proves that and that's my exact point.
More false narratives.

Of the links you and I provided only a couple mentioned Ghost selling at higher price than TLOU2, namely Black Friday and December sales. December is irrelevant really since it was long after launch and none of the two were charting in NPD or other charts. So really you only got Black Friday.

Last edited:

Edder1

Again, where's the evidence that US and JP are more the double the PS4 users?
US and Japan double the number of consoles of few European countries that you mentioned. Obviously Europe as a whole has more consoles, but you didn't provide sales data for whole of Europe. Context.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
More fake narratives.

Of the links you and I provided only a couple mentioned Ghost selling at higher price than TLOU2, namely Black Friday and December sales. December is irrelevant really since it was long after launch and none of the two were charting in NPD or other charts. So really you only got Black Friday, lol.

Dude, stop, you're being desperate.
First, you tell me that my claims in price drops are false - now you're saying my claims were true, but GoT had price drops, too. Just more goalpost moving. The fact that you pulled sites from Europe shows desperation.

US and Japan double the number of consoles of few European countries that you mentioned when it came to sales. Obviously Europe as a whole has more consoles, but you didn't provide sales data for whole of Europe.

Context.

You said Europe. You realize you were wrong and now you want to say the countries I mentioned when it comes to sales.

US and Japan = 38.3m

Germany 7.2m
UK 6.8m
France 5.9m
Spain 3.3m

That's 23.2m, more than half. I also mentioned other countries within that region. More than double would be closer to 50m

I told you before that you're winging it. After I debunk your claims, you research and then come back to move the goalpost even further.

I can't keep going back and forth. You're constantly lying and you're pretty much in denial at this point. I'll wait until the numbers come out from Sony, but I'm sure you're going to think of more excuses when that happens. I'm done. I can't deal with this lying anymore. lol.

Edder1

First, you tell me that my claims in price drops are false - now you're saying my claims were true, but GoT had price drops, too. Just more goalpost moving. The fact that you pulled sites from Europe shows desperation.

You said Europe. You realize you were wrong and now you want to say the countries I mentioned when it comes to sales.

US and Japan = 38.3m

Germany 7.2m
UK 6.8m
France 5.9m
Spain 3.3m

That's 23.2m, more than half. I also mentioned other countries within that region. More than double would be closer to 50m

I told you before that you're winging it. After I debunk your claims, you research and then come back to move the goalpost even further.

I can't keep going back and forth. You're constantly lying and you're pretty much in denial at this point. I'll wait until the numbers come out from Sony, but I'm sure you're going to think of more excuses when that happens. I'm done. I can't deal with this lying anymore. lol.

Stay with me. I said your narrative that TLOU2 was selling at discount and using that as an excuse for the NPD difference was false, that proved to be true since up until December only on Black Friday did TLOU2 sold at lower price. You made it sound like this was common occurrence last year and yet you only have Black Friday, lol. You also proceeded to accuse of lying when I said I could provide you with numbers of GOT going on discount regularly, seems like you got caught and are now trying to save face.

Your stats about Europe only prove that US and Japan are much bigger than major European countries when it comes to number of PS4s. The stats are not in your favour so not sure what you're really bragging about here. Yes it wasn't around double the number as I must have missed something when looking at numbers initially, but US and Japan are still comfortably more than third of those countries. Not sure how this backs up any of your claims.

Last edited:

Woopah

How is premature to talk about how well did the sales of their own game? How many time does it needs? Does that means the games needs other sources to help the sales?

I also didn't get this "when". Did they announced something or is it again an another possibility?
I'm just saying that we don't have the full picture yet. Sony often gives updates on games years after release, so it's quite possible they could they could give an update on TLOU2 in the future.

EDMIX

It's just not the cultural phenomenon part 1 was.
Its selling faster then 1...

They did in 1 month, what took the first 1 13 months... We'd have to wait years to see that full picture as you are trying to judge the game based on about a year and a few months vs a 8 year old game. Thats like looking at the 80% drop after GTA V's release and saying some shit like "its juts not the cultural phenomenon GTA SA was" as if in 1 fucking year, GTA SA sold 100% of all that it was ever going to sell or something. So in 1 year, none of us knew The Last Of Us 1 would move 20 million, just like none of us knew GTA V would move over 100 million, just like folks didn't know Star Wars Battlefront would move 15 million, they simply look at a drop from the charts at like 80% and then fucking start making some narrative on why it MUST have not been a um "cultural phenomenon" vs some other title, disregarding that they have't even given it the equal to know if thats the case.

Sir...if you closely look at charts, several of the best selling games of all time, have also dropped from those charts to a tune of 80% drips post launch. That would mean using your exact same logic in 2015, you'd argue Fallout 4 flopped, you'd argue Uncharted 4 flopped as it dropped like 78% in sales post launch, its the best selling Uncharted game..... so if you don't know this, of course you are under this odd impression that looking at a chart means flop or not when a game could not appear in the top 20 and still break many records.

So they don't need to announce anything right now, today or anything of the sort, using your logic for years we didn't hear about God Of War selling 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 million etc, so that should be a flop too? I mean for years they are not telling you something right? For YEARS it wasn't in the fucking top 20 on the charts, yet how the fuck are we looking at 20 million units?

This shows us several things.

1. Sony is willing to not tell us sales for years. That does not mean a game flopped as they don't always announce all data all the time, they have actually never done that and have no policy or something about that.
2. A game can not appear on the top 20 and still move record units.
3. The Last Of Us 1 did not sell 20 million in 1 year to then already have some clue on how The Last Of Us 2 is doing.
4. The Last Of Us 2 is the fastest selling Playstation game in history, number 3 in revenue in mere fucking months vs years for Spiderman and God Of War
5. Its the best selling Sony game of 2020 and number 5 overall of the whole year.

None of that sounds like flopz sir, none of that sounds like this doom and gloom, in fact you tell me of a time where the fastest selling of a IP, also didn't become the best selling...
Their focus on single player is too much. That's like all they do. It's enough!
Well thats false. The best selling stuff by Sony is of course single player, but I can't argue its "too much".

Uncharted 4 has multiplayer
GT Sport is entirely an online thing
Dreams is an online thing
Little Big Planet
MLB The Show
Killzone Shadowfall
Driveclub
RIGs
Wipeout Omega
Firewall
Ghost Of Tsushima has a MP mode
Sackboy does too

and I'm sure I'm messing a bunch more btw, but this narrative that they don't have MP or something is false.

Sony is already working on some new IP that is a online focused thing anyway.

So I can't say its a waste of resources, but I also see where they are coming from. To say the vast majorty of the best selling PS5 games are MP is the very fucking reason why Sony wouldn't waste too much there....think about what you just said...so Call Of Duty moves the most on PS, same with Fortnite and so many other MP series, as in they already fucking buy PS systems as a base, Sony already got that market, thus why would they then spend money on a market that already buys PS? They'll spend that money to give them something they can't find else where so they can buy it for MP and stay for the SP,

NP...BBQOMGZ lol

Its one of the reasons why you saw them pull back on JRPGs after a few gens. They already have Square moving MORE units on their systems anyway, so because they community buys PS already, Sony doesn't see the need to compete with 3rd party in that area, they see the need to provide the install base with concepts they can't find else where. So I get where you are coming from, but I don't see that Sony needs to worry about this too much as the already move record units and those that even like MP like you even said clearly buy PS as the vast majority on PS5 play MP titles right? So doesn't sound like they have an issue finding games to play bud don't you think? =)

I'm hype for what they put out don't get me wrong, but I don't think they are ever going to make something that pulls me away from Battelfield and I'm sure they get that too and focus on their strengths. They tried for generations with Killzone and other shooters and with Horizon breaking records with sales, they can't ignore the best sellers simply to keep making something we literally already get an abundance of to the point of PS5 mostly playing MP. To even say that is to confirm that such a concept is not rare and few on PS in the first place lol

So the MP title is not needed by Sony, they already have that market, its nice and I'm hype for it, but PS5 is not a make or break based on them doing some fucking online game if they already have the majority of that market anyway lol If anything its a luxury in a sea of GAAS, Online MP etc So I agree its wise to do it though and from talented developers aka ex-Call Of Duty devs vs trying with a Killzone or Resistance etc. We'll see how it plays out for them as I know they want to get into that whole GAAS market.
How is premature to talk about how well did the sales of their own game?

Because they generally do that over the course of years, its not really a every year, every month type thing as I don't recall that has ever been a thing at Sony.

Again folks, God Of War literally went years of Sony not telling us it sold 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 million etc
Uncharted 4 also went years of them not telling us as they go from 8.7 million to 16 million lol The didn't just keep telling us every year or something odd like that. I think what makes many upset, is they want to make this sound unique to force this narrative, but clearly its not, many times Sony waits to tell us sales figures, either with the reveal of a new game or remaster or PC version or Directors Cut, earnings call etc

If it is, then it might be that Sony decided not to greenlight Last of Us 3 immediately.

lol nah bud, Naughty Dog is 2 teams, the team making the new IP has been making it since Uncharted 4 was complete and the rest of the other half of that team likely joined in after Lost Legacy (to my understanding).

The Last Of Us 3 already has a plot outline done btw, but tbh, I think Neil for decades has had the story in his head anyway lol No way the fastest selling PS game in history doesn't get a 3rd game, I've never seen a game break such a record as a sequel and never get a 3rd lol Massively fucking unlikely and fanfiction bud, it doesn't even make sense. It would be like me saying how I haaaate Call Of Duty and oh boy maybe "activision decided not to greenlight Call Of Duty XYZBBQ" lol ok bud

What a wall of text.
And no we already know part 2 isn't a cultural phenomenon at all. That ship sailed. There is nothing that can change it. It's not an evolving MP game like Fortnite. But even fortnite was known after a year.

Nothing will be different for the game in 3, 5 or 8 years.
And cultural phenomenons have nothing to do with selling faster or slower. It's about trajectory. And trajectory for the last of us II is bad

Last edited:

EDMIX

we already know part 2 isn't a cultural phenomenon at all.

We don't though bud, thats not a 1 year type of thing lol

There is nothing that can change it. It's not an evolving MP game

Neither was The Last Of Us 1..... yet it had an MP and continued to move units over time.

The Last Of Us 2 has a MP being worked on that will likely continue its sales.

But even fortnite was known after a year.

The Last Of Us 2 is known too bud lol By more people after a year then The Last Of Us 1....soooo math.

trajectory for the last of us II is bad

Not really bud, its litearlly better then 1 in this respect as its selling faster then 1 by millions more lol You can't even address any fact that was listed as you just sound really triggered at the games success.

Have fun what that man, I don't see why one would be this fucking triggered over this lol You going to have a melt down when they give those figures, have a good one =)

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
If Dread can do these kinds of numbers, Prime 4 is going to be big big.

Prime 1 was the previous series sales title holder but Dread will probably sell twice as much. Prime 4 will be coming hot off the legendary game that is Dread, and be the more popular 3D iteration.

Last edited:
The last of Us II didn't sell 10m, so you obviously can't announce that.
Im not even sure a PS5 remaster will sell decent compared to other games.

It's just not the cultural phenomenon part 1 was.

yeah I think this is the most likely scenario, TLOU2 sold a lot, but it just didn't hit 10M, prolly around 8-9M. But 10M should be the minimum number to be considered successful, since TLOU Remastered sold that much, anything less than that is a disappointment. That's why Sony has been quiet about it

Bodomism

Banned
yeah I think this is the most likely scenario, TLOU2 sold a lot, but it just didn't hit 10M, prolly around 8-9M. But 10M should be the minimum number to be considered successful, since TLOU Remastered sold that much, anything less than that is a disappointment. That's why Sony has been quiet about it
TLOU remastered was basically given away for free with every PS4 during the holiday seasons. If you take a look at the revenue based chart of the last decade best selling games, SIE games were absent from the chart.

ethomaz

Banned
Gamestat, it was widely used by a lot of users here since Sony rarely handing out sales figure if any game underperformed.
It is heavy innacureate and not used in any place as sales evidence.

Even TLOU data that we have official numbers are very wrong in the picture you posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom