• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using ATMs in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

Banned
Some buddies have suggested avoided the use of ATM machines while in Europe. I didn't think there was an issue around this. I've used them while in HK years ago without a hitch. Anyone have any horror stories about using your bank cards while traveling in Europe?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
If you have VISA or Mastercard you're probably insured anyway, should something happen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We've had sophisticated scams with our ATMs, whereby an "envelope" is put into the atm machine, that makes it appear your card has been swallowed. and someone from a distance, or using a camera, observes you entering your pin number aswell. So you leave the machine thinking your card has been swallowed, only for the the criminal to come and pick it up once you leave. And if you haven't shielded the panel when putting in your PIN, they have your number, and start emptying your account. So just be aware of any card slots that look strange, and cover your hand as you enter your PIN. Asides from that, though, I've never heard of ATMs in Europe being dodgy or anything like that. Maybe from a bank charges point of view?

There was some kind of scare in England say two months back, where organised gangs had acquired technology to place little bugging devices on ATMs that would a) read your card and b) videotape you entering your PIN. They were pretty obviously tacked on though; more a case of opportunists making some quick bucks before people wised up to them, rather than a plague of fear and malice sweeping the continent. If the card slot looks more elaborate than it has a right to, steer clear (and report it if you have a mind). Other than that, they are perfectly safe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
B-B-Bomba! said:
There was some kind of scare in England say two months back, where organised gangs had acquired technology to place little bugging devices on ATMs that would a) read your card and b) videotape you entering your PIN. They were pretty obviously tacked on though; more a case of opportunists making some quick bucks before people wised up to them, rather than a plague of fear and malice sweeping the continent. If the card slot looks more elaborate than it has a right to, steer clear (and report it if you have a mind). Other than that, they are perfectly safe.

This is exactly what we had here. It's still not totally gone..you hear occasionally of someone getting scammed. Personally I've only known one person who was victim of it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
hey i know someone who was scammed in that ATM thingy, its was in ashbourne, co. meath, ireland. anyway ATMs are pretty secure in general just look out for ass raping bank charges. iwas in san fransicso for a month and used my atm card to withdraw some money every few days and i got raped for $2 dollars from american bank X and another $2.50 from my own bank. Nasty !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom