• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utility Restores Nvidia GPUs Full Mining Performance

ClosBSAS

Here we go again baby. Lets see how this affects prices.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/utility-restores-nvidia-lhr-full-mining-performance

The Nvidia RTX LHR v2 Unlocker by Sergey (discovered by MyDrivers and Videocardz) is a tool that modifies BIOS of Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics cards based on the Ampere architecture as well as workstation-grade RTX A-series boards to remove mining performance limiters added by Nvidia. But firmware modification alone is not enough to bring back full mining performance of GPUs. In addition, miners have to use drivers modified by Sergey.

Kuranghi

Surely the top miners would have employed someone to do this already behind the scenes, ie not release the results to the public. If you're making that much money and then suddenly its cut down because you can't buy certain GPUs to replace your aging units you wouldn't just sit idly by.

Or did they just shift to different cards and use more or less of them to equal the old combined GPU power?

Xdrive05

Doesn't support my 3050 GA106(LHR) according to the notes, but I wonder if it actually would given that it uses the same GA106 as the 3060 that it does support?

I'm not mining with this card anyway, just academically curious.

STOPPP!

The Mining community have red flagged this. I was watching a bunch of videos on this during lunch.

Last edited:

FingerBang

It doesn't seem to be legit, but this won't affect the market. The only variable is mining profitability. Unless that starts going up, prices will be stable or go down.

SeraphJan

Even if this was true, buying new GPU right now with inflated price for mining is extremely risky.

Eth difficulty bomb could drop any time. Eth makes up 90% of the mining hash, if Eth is gone, the miners are not gonna sell all their rig in one night, when all the hash power floods other asset such as Raven coin, the difficulty could be increased exponentially for every other asset, expect a difficulty increase of 5-10 times across the board for every asset.

The second reason is the crypto price had passed its prime, people are dumping rapidly. the market cap of crypto basically halved already.

The third reason is the congress keep on trying to push crypto ban law, if they succeed... without major player such as U.S, expect even big drop across the board.

Could you still mine? Yes, that's when you already owned mining rig, but buying one with inflated price? No, the risk reward is not worth it.

Of course miners and crypto holder will still convince you its not over, because its to their interest. They either want to sell their GPU at a reasonable price, or they wish the asset they hold could be dump onto someone else.

Beside, Lovelace and RDNA3 will launch this year, it will have huge impact on last gen GPU price.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
"Drivers by Sergey" - that sounds like a great idea! :messenger_grinning:
computer pc GIF by Omrop Fryslân

DryvBy

I really hope my 1080 never dies because I don't think I can afford a GPU even at today's current rates. And now that inflation is about to skyrocket even more than it has in the last year under the "America's Back!" admin, I just don't think It'll be easy to convince the wife and kid that papa needs a new video card when gas and groceries and rent is skyrocketing.

Larxia

I really hope my 1080 never dies because I don't think I can afford a GPU even at today's current rates. And now that inflation is about to skyrocket even more than it has in the last year under the "America's Back!" admin, I just don't think It'll be easy to convince the wife and kid that papa needs a new video card when gas and groceries and rent is skyrocketing.
I have a 1080 too, really scared about the day it dies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm actually kinda surprised Nvidia did anything to slow them down in the first place. They are selling through all their stock regardless of who is buying it.

Top Bottom