• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

V.I.P.E.R: Volume Invariant Position-based Elastic Rods - Real Time Muscle Simulation. Possibility for Gaming

Official Github
We extend the formulation of position-based rods to include elastic volumetric deformations. We achieve this by introducing an additional degree of freedom per-vertex -- isotropic scale (and its velocity). Including scale enriches the space of possible deformations, allowing the simulation of volumetric effects, such as a reduction in the cross-sectional area when a rod is stretched. We rigorously derive the continuous formulation of its elastic energy potentials, and hence its associated position-based dynamics (PBD) updates to realize this model, enabling the simulation of up to 26000 DOFs at 140 Hz in our GPU implementation. We further show how rods can provide a compact alternative to tetrahedral meshes for the representation of complex muscle deformations, as well as providing a convenient representation for collision detection. This is achieved by modeling a muscle as a bundle of rods, for which we also introduce a technique to automatically convert a muscle surface mesh into a rods-bundle. Finally, we show how rods and/or bundles can be skinned to a surface mesh to drive its deformation, resulting in an alternative to cages for real-time volumetric deformation.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
No one will implement natural motion because it would require beefy CPU/GPU.

You can see that in demo. He just added like 15 octopuses which have way more simplified muscles and FPS went down from 280fps to about 140fps. And nothing else was rendered.

oldergamer

No one will implement natural motion because it would require beefy CPU/GPU.

You can see that in demo. He just added like 15 octopuses which have way more simplified muscles and FPS went down from 280fps to about 140fps. And nothing else was rendered.
How are you incorrect after watching the video?? He added 30 plus octipi and it only added 2ms per frame. We had natural motion running on cellphones, ipads and xbox and ps3 years ago. This is totally possible on consoles or ps to use on a few characters at once.

Teaching it how to use muscles via machine learning is a inexpensive way to offline process the data needed to drive the realtime performance

Dontero

Banned
How are you incorrect after watching the video?? He added 30 plus octipi and it only added 2ms per frame. We had natural motion running on cellphones, ipads and xbox and ps3 years ago. This is totally possible on consoles or ps to use on a few characters at once.
Teaching it how to use muscles via machine learning is a inexpensive way to offline process the data needed to drive the realtime performance

2ms dude from 8ms to 10ms (which is more than 20% jump) ok 30 octipi but all of those are simplified compared to something like human which would have to have at least equivalent of 40 of those octopi + some simulation system on how to move which without doubt would be more expensive that some simple vector changes.

Add 15 charcters on screen and you have already doubled or tripled ms. All without rendering anything other than muscles.

It is nice tech but i don't see it going to games at this point or near future. For one tech is not ready as it lacks natural motion animation system itself second because game developers don't like simulations and complicated systems (at least AAA ones). They can do the same thing with motion capture and animation morphing and people will not notice difference. Muscle change also can be achieved with mesh/animation morphing easy which was already done in game like Dragon's Dogma.

Destruction algorythms are fairly advanced and fast now and yet you never see good destruction in games. This is the same reason.

Last edited:

INC

Yeah exactly, he meant the cocks! Amazing cocks coming in 2020! Oh that sounded questionable. *large object approaches*

Thats what you meant INC INC , right!?!!

any holes a goal, when you boil it all down, the rectum is a muscle after all

Last edited:

Kuranghi

any holes a goal, when you boil it all down, the rectum is a muscle after all

Exactly mate, and once you boil it all down it becomes like leather so it can REALLY take a beating. *shouts down the well to remind them to apply the appropriate lotions or else*

Right lol Victor Omega Victor Omega I'm sorry I ruined your lovely thread with rudeness, thanks again for posting this. I would be interested to see more in the future. I really hope we see some soft body physics in a launch titles for next-gen and I want to see something like Beam.NG on consoles, wishful thinking probably though.

INC

Exactly mate, and once you boil it all down it becomes like leather so it can REALLY take a beating. *shouts down the well to remind them to apply the appropriate lotions or else*

Right lol Victor Omega Victor Omega I'm sorry I ruined your lovely thread with rudeness, thanks again for posting this. I would be interested to see more in the future. I really hope we see some soft body physics in a launch titles for next-gen and I want to see something like Beam.NG on consoles, wishful thinking probably though.

PEhPP2A.png

Top Bottom