• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim has sold 3 million

Astorian

Was at 2 million 4 days ago.

This February has been truly wild! Less than three weeks into Early Access, we’ve already hit another milestone. Valheim has now been purchased by over three million brave Vikings looking to survive the 10th world of the Yggdrasil - or die trying - probably crushed by a falling tree.

Last edited:
Incredible. This game really is something.

I've mostly been surprised by the astounding depth it has. Really enjoying it, if you have any passing interest in games like it Valheim really is a good time.

I wish every success for the devs and I can't wait to see what they have planned.

TheMan

Yeah I'd say deserved. The graphics don't make a good first impression in screenshots but the game is pretty fun to actually play. And the price is right. So good for them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fully deserved, I snarkly commented on wow another survival crafting game how interesting

But then I bought it and started playing it, and goddamn it REALLY IS interesting!

The mood is really chill, sometimes it feels like you're playing a dark souls solo adventure where you have to build all your shit first before you can take on any of those bosses.

i got the first boss down, easy, second boss, is like on a whole other island so I have to build a boat to get there. Shit is gonna be insane.

Nice. Have had my eye on this one. Maybe after I've gotten my fill of the games I'm currently playing and cleaned up my backlog a bit...

Whoa whoa whoa.

Hold up, can someone provide an anecdotal experience of their own with the game and what makes this game set itself apart?

I've heard rumblings about the game, but I have never played it and nor did I have any interest up until now where I'm reading how some of you really enjoy the game.

So, I'm in interested to know more.

If anyone of you could give a comprehensive insight on what you enjoy about the game that would be great!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Whoa whoa whoa.

Hold up, can someone provide an anecdotal experience of their own with the game and what makes this game set itself apart?

I've heard rumblings about the game, but I have never played it and nor did I have any interest up until now where I'm reading how some of you really enjoy the game.

If anyone of you could give a comprehensive insight on what you enjoy about the game that would be great!

It's viking Minecraft with RPG elements, a lot of freedom and depth, which can be played solo or with other people (up to 10 at a time I think).

It actually feels well made and fairly complete, has anti-frustrations features such as being able to get every material back when destroying most structures to move them, and not having to constantly guzzle food simply not to die, you can't starve to death. There's a long chain of progression; you start by picking up stones and collecting twigs to make very basic tools, progress to leather, farming, agriculture, kill a boss, learn to mine and smelt, progress there etc. and there's tons to unlock. The combat is surprisingly good for something so rudimentary and it has a real old school MMO feel to it - leaving the base really can feel like an adventure each time. Your goal could be to progress enough to build your own ship and sail to the edge of the map, or maybe you want to clear dungeons full of skeletons for treasure. Or, you can choose just to live at home and make awesome buildings. You can do it all if you want to. I think there's 5 bosses currently and the difficult scales pretty well from what I've seen.

It's twenty bucks and you can refund it on Steam if you play for the less than two hours. It's well worth a try.

Last edited:

Tg89

Well deserved. By far the best game in the genre, especially at this point in the "early access". Giving me that feeling that very few games have in the first 50 or so hours, in a category with Vanilla WoW, Skyrim, BOTW.

Ceadeus

Gratz, i know they're not a big team but I really hope they address optimisation as quickly as possible.

Tg89

Whoa whoa whoa.

I'll do my best.

-Exploration in the game is absolutely phenomenal imo. The sense of scale to the world, the way they've nailed the risk/reward aspect of the exploration (especially early-mid game). Just walking around and filling out your map (manually) is pretty awesome.
-Pretty much all the base underlying systems/mechanics seem full baked, very unlike most early access titles. The skill system (very similar to Skyrim, do stuff more and that stuff naturally levels up), The combat. The crafting, etc.
-Best take on a food system in a game and a great way to gate progression. Essentially your base health/stamina never changes, but you influence it by eating foods (which you obviously find better recipes thorughout the game, allowing you to progress further and further).
-Building/recipe system is great and intuitive. Recipes unlock as soon as you've found all the raw materials required for it.
-I personally like the graphics, though I understand it's not everyones style. The music though, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying that part.
-Combat is simple but great. Simplified Souls-like is how I would best describe it.
-Nice, simple overarching goals that help push you forward and reduce the amount of time you spend figuring out what you're supposed to be doing.
-Great solo and even better with friends.
-Seems very far along for an "early access" title.

geary

Over 60,000 ‘Overwhelmingly Positive’ reviews
Officially entered the Steam’s Top 250 best reviewed games of all time (we’re 78th and climbing!)
Currently 7th most streamed game on twitch, surpassing CS:GO, Dota 2, Minecraft and Rust
Over 20 million hours of gameplay already watched - now help us find a Viking reference for this one!

martino

I'll do my best.

-Exploration in the game is absolutely phenomenal imo. The sense of scale to the world, the way they've nailed the risk/reward aspect of the exploration (especially early-mid game). Just walking around and filling out your map (manually) is pretty awesome.
-Pretty much all the base underlying systems/mechanics seem full baked, very unlike most early access titles. The skill system (very similar to Skyrim, do stuff more and that stuff naturally levels up), The combat. The crafting, etc.
-Best take on a food system in a game and a great way to gate progression. Essentially your base health/stamina never changes, but you influence it by eating foods (which you obviously find better recipes thorughout the game, allowing you to progress further and further).
-Building/recipe system is great and intuitive. Recipes unlock as soon as you've found all the raw materials required for it.
-I personally like the graphics, though I understand it's not everyones style. The music though, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying that part.
-Combat is simple but great. Simplified Souls-like is how I would best describe it.
-Nice, simple overarching goals that help push you forward and reduce the amount of time you spend figuring out what you're supposed to be doing.
-Great solo and even better with friends.
-Seems very far along for an "early access" title.

This.Now there is lot of QOL work to do especially using a gamepad

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll have to give this a try. I wish there was a demo.

I'm reading that playing Solo later in the game (after 15-20 hours in) is extremely difficult and grindy compared to playing Multiplayer.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Can we just appreciate this game is 1GB, has an absolute shitton of content to explore and do, not many bugs and is excellently crafted with constant objectives.

Game is putting some AAA to shame.
This game's updates are 3 MB, that's just wild haha.

sainraja

Fully deserved, I snarkly commented on wow another survival crafting game how interesting

But then I bought it and started playing it, and goddamn it REALLY IS interesting!

The mood is really chill, sometimes it feels like you're playing a dark souls solo adventure where you have to build all your shit first before you can take on any of those bosses.

i got the first boss down, easy, second boss, is like on a whole other island so I have to build a boat to get there. Shit is gonna be insane.
Can it be played with a controller on the PC?

Shouta

I've hard things about this and I wasn't sure but I think I'll be picking it up. It sounds like it's a bit closer to Dragon Quest Builders than straight Minecraft, with survival of course, and that sounds like it's up my alley.

Yeah I gave it a try but damn I just cannot get into the tree punching genre. Good for the devs and the people who like this though.

Me either.

I like the progression system where you go from basic tools to more advanced stuff but I dislike the aimless, open-ended gameplay these games tend to offer.

I'm waiting for someone to take the complex gathering/crafting systems these games offer and make it part of a larger, story/plot driven game, a game with an actual ending and objectives that go beyond "make my own fun"

Shouta

Me either.

I like the progression system where you go from basic tools to more advanced stuff but I dislike the aimless, open-ended gameplay these games tend to offer.

I'm waiting for someone to take the complex gathering/crafting systems these games offer and make it part of a larger, story/plot driven game, a game with an actual ending and objectives that go beyond "make my own fun"

Try Dragon Quest Builders if you're looking for Minecraft gameplay but with a story and structure. It's not survival if you're looking for that but otherwise, it pretty much has everything to give the open-ended gameplay a purpose. Both games are pretty cheap now too.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I've hard things about this and I wasn't sure but I think I'll be picking it up. It sounds like it's a bit closer to Dragon Quest Builders than straight Minecraft, with survival of course, and that sounds like it's up my alley.
Its 3d terraria.

Top Bottom