• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve’s latest Steam Deck video featured a Switch emulator.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Nintendo must be seething right now.

c781xpvlbbs91.png

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo better be ready for next gen switch isn’t a treat anymore now that steam deck is around Nintendo at its best is operating as part of a big 3 (ms, Sony, Nintendo).

KungFucius

King Snowflake
As long as they don't actually show pirated Switch software running on it I don't think Nintendo can say much.

(Let's be honest, most if not all emulated Switch games are pirated - and no, it doesn't matter if you actually own a copy of the game.)
Really. It doesn't matter if you buy a game and rip it with the switch you bought but choose to play it on an emulator on a computer you bought because it runs better than it does on the switch because why exactly?

I don't really care one way or another. The switch is very weak and I could see someone wanting to play game in the best way possible. It is so strange that in many cases that is via emulation while the system is still selling and a game just released. Nintendo should be motivated to make the next system more powerful or otherwise unique just to avoid this happening again. It sucks for switch owners that people can play better looking versions of the exact game with little to no downside on their PC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yup:

What does that mean? Of course they sold us a ROM. All virtual console games (and now all Nintendo Online retro games) are ROMs. Did they think Nintendo actually ported each game to the new consoles?

Did they mean specifically a pirated ROM?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What does that mean? Of course they sold us a ROM. All virtual console games (and now all Nintendo Online retro games) are ROMs. Did they think Nintendo actually ported each game to the new consoles?

Taken from the article: If one does some digging through the actual data files of the Virtual Console’s port of the perennial classic, you’ll find a line of code that is only present in dumped ROM files online. As a matter of fact, this extra line of code matches some of the ROMs one can find from various sites.

Looks like lazy ass Nintendo pulled their own rom off an online rom site. And then sold it for $50-$60.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I thought they hired an early NES emulator developer who used that style of ROM header.

The point being they didn't dump the ROM themselves. Which is hilarious given their stance on emulators and ROMs. Eurogamer's article linked by Destructoid goes into more details:

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Really. It doesn't matter if you buy a game and rip it with the switch you bought but choose to play it on an emulator on a computer you bought because it runs better than it does on the switch because why exactly?
Because it's specifically created to use on Nintendo systems. It's how Nintendo survives, the game and system have a mutual relationship. By using the Nintendo ecosystem, you increase the metrics and make it more likely you will spend money on Nintendo services.

Also, most people pirate, sure, some buy the games, but it's a gateway drug into the shitty gamer universe. Don't support it.

What you are doing is like playing Game Pass games through the PS Plus app.

I hate to say this again because all the emulator folks start to cry and moan, but emulating new games when you don't have to (as with older lost games), it's petty and embarrassing.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hahahahah, Nintendo tried to DMCA tons of videos showing Nintendo games running on the deck, so now corporations like valve and LTT are making even more prominent videos to show this feature. Gotta love when censorship bites it's own ass.
Wasnt there a case where good ol Nintendo was using dodgy roms in certain games? Or emulators? Cant remember off the top of my head.

Yup:

The header was created by Marat Fayzullin, who has never worked for Nintendo.

Yeah, the ROM was almost certainly pirated. Don't expect Nintendo to ever admit it, though.

Taken from the article: If one does some digging through the actual data files of the Virtual Console’s port of the perennial classic, you’ll find a line of code that is only present in dumped ROM files online. As a matter of fact, this extra line of code matches some of the ROMs one can find from various sites.

Looks like lazy ass Nintendo pulled their own rom off an online rom site. And then sold it for $50-$60.

The point being they didn't dump the ROM themselves. Which is hilarious given their stance on emulators and ROMs. Eurogamer's article linked by Destructoid goes into more details:

This has been debunked few years ago.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

daveonezero

Banned
Because it's specifically created to use on Nintendo systems. It's how Nintendo survives, the game and system have a mutual relationship. By using the Nintendo ecosystem, you increase the metrics and make it more likely you will spend money on Nintendo services.

Also, most people pirate, sure, some buy the games, but it's a gateway drug into the shitty gamer universe. Don't support it.

I hate to say this again because all the emulator folks start to cry and moan, but emulating new games when you don't have to (as with older lost games), it's petty and embarrassing.

The shiftiest side of gaming is huge multi national corporations using antiquated IP law to regulate and control the property people legitimately bought.

Shutting down services and restricting access to entire libraries.

Arbitrarily charging for each purchase.

Like it or not ripping games and being able to play them on a wide variety of hardware is not losing these people any money and in fact preserving huge libraries.

This has been debunked few years ago.
That's not really debunking anything. The VC ROM header being identical to the one in Animal Crossing could just as easily be "proof" that Nintendo were already using "illegal" ROMs all the way back in 2001. It also doesn't explain why those headers are there to begin with. None of Nintendo's own emulators even make use of them, and they are conspicuously absent in VC ROMs for later consoles like the Wii U and 3DS.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Industry should try to appeal to the public's needs, and not the other way around.

If Nintendo wants me to not emulate their games, then they should release some new and more capable hardware. No way I'm playing all those cool games at shitty resolutions and with shitty framerates.

Bragr

Banned
Industry should try to appeal to the public's needs, and not the other way around.

If Nintendo wants me to not emulate their games, then they should release some new and more capable hardware. No way I'm playing all those cool games at shitty resolutions and with shitty framerates.
Then don't play them.

Trying to make an argument about how Nintendo doesn't do exactly what you want, to justify your actions, is ridiculous. It's you that are the problem in this equation, not Nintendo. If you don't like the product, don't use it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Then don't play them.

Trying to make an argument about how Nintendo doesn't do exactly what you want, to justify your actions, is ridiculous. It's you that are the problem in this equation, not Nintendo. If you don't like the product, don't use it.
But I like the games, and I have hardware that plays those games better than my Switch.

Not using that better hardware would be kinda dumb, don't you think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom