• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve in collaboration with HP on a new VR headset which will "set new standards" in the VR industry

Starfield

Maybe already old news but kinda interesting nonetheless!

This is the new headset. They also made the valve index I believe which will mean one thing: superb quality, newest vr tech but expensive as fuck.

Im interested to see if this headset will be supported for Xbox Series X (I think ms already confirmed that but I'm not sure)

Would you like to see a VR mode for Halo Infinite? Looking at the recent mediocre HI demo visually it very well may be the case that Halo Infinite could get a VR mode due to tuned down gepahics.

Hellblade could have a vr mode aswell, the first game had one too!

kyoji

vX59BTk.jpg

In all seriousness cool if they are, but didn't they say they weren't interested in doing VR at one point? i wonder what changed if true.

Last edited:
vX59BTk.jpg

In all seriousness cool if they are, but didn't they say they weren't interested in doing VR at one point? i wonder what changed if true.
If Series X doesn't get a VR headset then any successful VR game on Playstation become default exclusives.

This is what happened when Nintendo refused to use CDs and thus, Playstation games couldn't run on Nintendo hardware. This caused third party Playstation games to become psudo-exclusives.

Ms was always interested in VR, it's just that Xbox One is too weak to do it and XboxOneX was sold in too few numbers to support it. The question is if Ms would jump in now or later.

Starfield

vX59BTk.jpg

What changed is that VR is becoming increasingly popular. A few years ago VR games and headsets were considered niche and too expensive but now that headsets like the oculus rift s and psvr are on the market vr gaming suddenly becomes affordable and....fun. The bigger the player base the better the games will become since bigger companies like Valve or other studios are starting to make blockbuster games for VR only.

Recent examples would be Half Life Alyx (which probably showed alot of other companies that investing into VR may be a good idea after all).

The Walking dead vr game is pretty good aswell and we will get a new Medal of honor game solely made for VR only.

VR is on the rise

Would be interesting if its for series x. I remember Phil saying they were not interested in Vr.. but things can change over time

Last edited:

Rudius

I got excited for a moment, but then I saw it's just about the G2 and WMR.

I would be great for Series X and VR in general for it to support the G2: it's already part of their ecosystem in the PC, it's a 4K per eye device with inside-out tracking and a single cable to connect it.

Unfortunately Philly Spencer said Xbox costumers are not asking for VR...

Freeman

Banned
Didn't Phil say the Xbox One X would have VR then said "no one was asking for VR?

Didn't MS try to sell the Xbox promoting AR glasses on their E3 conference that didn't amount to anything? Project Illumiroom or something like that.

Xbox late to the party as always.

Last edited:
MS never said they wouldnt, they just said it wasnt a priority at the time. Working with valve on this is the best option for them too. They already have the headset HW and the game, HL alyx.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Funny how you are the only one in this thread up until this post that says no one wants VR.

What do you want me to say?

I also have daily chores, I don't run away in fear of that's what you mean.

Compared to traditional gaming them VR is pretty niche.

Starfield

Didn't Phil say the Xbox One X would have VR then said "no one was asking for VR?

Didn't MS try to sell the Xbox promoting AR glasses on their E3 conference that didn't amount to anything? Project Illumiroom or something like that.

They were promoting MS Hololens at E3 2016.i believe which isn't VR but AR, something entirely different but pretty cool and mind-boggling in its own terms

Flintty

I'd be up for Halo Infinite VR!

I hope they are working on something but the lack of Display Port on the back of the XSX is a worry.

Great Hair

Banned
MS never said they wouldnt, they just said it wasnt a priority at the time.

We’re not going to do that. I understand certain people would want that, [but] we have to focus our efforts on the things we’re doing right now. And the most precious resource that we have is the team and their ability and I just have to focus on the things we’re doing right now.

VR is not as simple as plugging your headset; you have to redo the dash, like there’s a bunch of work that goes into it. And the teams at Valve, the teams at Sony, the teams at Oculus that are doing that work, they know the completeness and what it means to support the platform.

Don´t expect Microsoft to support it. How do Vive and Ocolus connect to the PC? Thru blutooth or WiFI?

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned

That's a very good point. Did they do a 180? I swear, I just don't understand Microsoft anymore.

That's a very good point. Did they do a 180? I swear, I just don't understand Microsoft anymore.
MS does 180s all the time. In fact if you understand MS you would know that they change their tactics when ever they feel like it, regardless of any past or present promises made. Don't make deals with MS unless you are prepared to be betrayed.

Resenge

What do you want me to say?

I also have daily chores, I don't run away in fear of that's what you mean.

Compared to traditional gaming them VR is pretty niche.
I want you to not talk out of your ass and troll posts that are not your thing.

We get it! You don't understand VR but others do and VR is not dead now and it wasn't dead last year when you and others constantly post in thread like this declaring "VR is dead" VR is growing consistantly.

Just ignore these VR posts if you dont like it rather than post your drive by troll comments that add nothing or can you not control yourself?

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
MS does 180s all the time. In fact if you understand MS you would know that they change their tactics when ever they feel like it, regardless of any past or present promises made. Don't make deals with MS unless you are prepared to be betrayed.
Just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it anymore. They were at least somewhat consistent with OG Xbox and 360. They did a significant about face with Xbox One and it seems like they've just been scrambling ever since. The only thing that has been consistent is their commitment to Gamepass.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
vX59BTk.jpg

I hope you don'try to suggest, that Sony is somewhat pioneer in VR technology, it's more like Playstation on the left and PC on the right and since PC is mostly MS, so yeah, typical console warrior stuff.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Where are you getting that MS/Valve and HP are "working in collaboration" on this?

Honestly curious; the link you provided just mentions Windows/Steam compatibility.

Good for the three people still interested in Vr

Jokes aside, It's me, or Vr lost a lit of popularity pretty rapidly?

Also a shame games like Half life alyx are vr only

bronxct1

I don't think this will be supported on Xbox. The Microsoft connection is most likely for Windows/direct x feature development. I could see them adding support at some time in the future since the hardware should be able to support it. If this was going to be a series x feature I don't see how they would have let the information out before a future Xbox event.

splattered

I read about the HP VR headset but nothing to do with Xbox... would be cool though i guess.

Half Life Alyx Series X Exclusive confirmed?

Oh man i can't imagine the rage from Geoff if something like that were to happen.

IntentionalPun

You guys are reading way too much into HP's PR on this headset.

THEY worked with Microsoft.. they also worked with Valve. Just like any headset that wants to put the Windows MR or Steam VR logos on their marketing materials.

There's nothing here indicating Valve and Microsoft worked together directly to build this headset.

This is how they are mentioned in that PR:

“The HP Reverb G2 is an exciting device that takes advantage of the inside-out tracking technology in Windows Mixed Reality for full six degrees-of-freedom movement and spatial audio,” said Mark Bolas, partner director of incubation at Microsoft. “With four cameras, the controller tracking feels even more like an extension of your hands, making the sense of immersion that much stronger.”

“We’re happy to see the expansion of the VR ecosystem in a way that is great for high-fidelity gaming,” said Jeremy Selan, VR Engineer at Valve. “Providing customers with another quality option that includes some of Valve’s technology is good news for the VR community and we are happy to support that.”

MS hawking Windows MR, Valve hawking Steam VR... not some partnership where they built a headset together lol

Last edited:
Heya,

I feel like you guys need this video.

a

To my understanding he currently is the only one who has one of these long time. (there is also a german version of this video for those who want it youtu.be/DrcOA2TGGCQ )

If it's like a new version of the index expect more
It's on peorder for under 600 bucks

it's a 4K per eye device
No it isn't?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
You guys are reading way too much into HP's PR on this headset.

THEY worked with Microsoft.. they also worked with Valve. Just like any headset that wants to put the Windows MR or Steam VR logos on their marketing materials.

There's nothing here indicating Valve and Microsoft worked together directly to build this headset.

This is how they are mentioned in that PR:

MS hawking Windows MR, Valve hawking Steam VR... not some partnership where they built a headset together lol
It's not only logo. Reverb2 has optics designed by Valve (different than Index) and whole headstrap including speakers taken straight from Index. It even use exactly same material as padding as valves headset.

It's not only logo. Reverb2 has optics designed by Valve (different than Index) and whole headstrap including speakers taken straight from Index. It even use exactly same material as padding as valves headset.
Still it's not a Microsoft Product as the title would suggest. It just takes components that are also used on the index and they cooperated with Microsoft, as you would do building pc hardware.

IntentionalPun

Sure; Valve helps with all kinds of VR tech.

But look at this thread title.. you'd think Microsoft made this headset.., or Microsoft worked with Valve directly.

Their contribution appears to be very little, and there's no evidence MS and Valve worked together.

HP worked with Valve, including on hardware.

HP also "worked with" MS; they don't even mention what that was... likely just working with the Windows MR team on software compatibility.

Top Bottom