• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve in collaboration with HP on a new VR headset which will "set new standards" in the VR industry

Three

Didn't Phil say the Xbox One X would have VR then said "no one was asking for VR?

Didn't MS try to sell the Xbox promoting AR glasses on their E3 conference that didn't amount to anything? Project Illumiroom or something like that.

Xbox late to the party as always.
Yes he did. He even said the usual bullshit PR pieces

it is “isolating” and goes against Xbox’s idea of gaming being “communal”.

Shit suddenly became communal for reasons unknown.

Gamernyc78

Banned
vX59BTk.jpg

In all seriousness cool if they are, but didn't they say they weren't interested in doing VR at one point? i wonder what changed if true.

Thy follow Sony's blueprint every step of the way just a few years later and try to act like it's new lol sometimes using similar wording too like when thy recently went on about letting devs have freedom of their vision and how Gears and Halo were more open aka Uncharted. Streaming same thing, etc..

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
likely just working with the Windows MR team on software compatibility.
Whole tracking system is designed by MS. That's pretty much first device with upgraded WMR tracking.
And yes that wasn't MS working with HP and Valve, but HP working with MS and Valve. Rather big difference.
And definitely they weren't just working to "put the Windows MR or Steam VR logos on their marketing materials".

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Thy follow Sony's blueprint every step of the way just a few years later and try to act like it's new lol sometimes using similar wording too like when thy recently went on about letting devs have freedom of their vision and how Gears and Halo were more open aka Uncharted. Streaming same thing, etc..
After validating each other over multiple threads, you can now write anything with a straight face and think it means something.

Last edited:

Starfield

Heya,

I feel like you guys need this video.

a

To my understanding he currently is the only one who has one of these long time. (there is also a german version of this video for those who want it youtu.be/DrcOA2TGGCQ )

It's on peorder for under 600 bucks

No it isn't?

ooh wow didnt know that. if its good i might buy, even though we already have a rift s at home

Rudius

Heya,

I feel like you guys need this video.

a

To my understanding he currently is the only one who has one of these long time. (there is also a german version of this video for those who want it youtu.be/DrcOA2TGGCQ )

It's on peorder for under 600 bucks

No it isn't?

It's 4K per eye, just like the first version. But it is better thanks to a different screen and lenses (better colors, contrast and FOV according to MRTV).

Starfield

It's 4K per eye, just like the first version. But it is better thanks to a different screen and lenses (better colors, contrast and FOV according to MRTV).
the only thing that is lacking is the tracking. it has 4 cameras for tracking but not in the best spots. Oculus Rift S for example has 5 where one is on top

Gamernyc78

Banned
Take your console war elsewhere please.

Take your sensitivity elsewhere please . I'm speaking my mind based off experience with all these companies. Ignore list works well BTW I use it frecuently. Criticising a companies hypocrisy, stating obvious observations or criticizing a game isn't console warring neither is comparing or contrasting. Some of you need to cut tht thought pattern out.

Last edited:

Romulus

Good for the three people still interested in Vr

Jokes aside, It's me, or Vr lost a lit of popularity pretty rapidly?

Also a shame games like Half life alyx are vr only

The kind of the opposite. Its never saw a decline in popularity. Always a very slow increase.
It's only been in the last year that's its had its first surge.
Before last year there were no full length AAA exclusives VR games, now theres around 5 in 1 year, and more keep coming. Not to mention, 3 VR headsets were all sold out for over months, and many versions are still difficult to find.
Not to mention, more headsets keep getting announced, more than ever now.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The kind of the opposite. Its never saw a decline in popularity. Always a a slow increase.
Before last year there were no full length AAA exclusives VR games, now theres around 5 in 1 year, and more keep coming. Not to mention, 3 VR headsets were all sold out for over months, and many versions are still difficult to find.

At least for consoles I think going wireless with more power behind ps5 also will just make it catch more steam. I mean psvr is in the several million sold.

In the PC space thyll just keep innovating and coming out with constant new itinerations so tht helps too.

We've come far from "lawnmower" man days.

Resenge

How did that sell compared to Half Life 2?
How many more people own a PC compared to a headset, no comparison. VR has been properly on the table for 4 years and improving year on year. How many years did PCs have to become mainstream before Half Life 2 was released?

Nice try skewing your comparisons but no one here is saying VR has the mainstream appeal of PCs.

Last edited:

Sybrix

If Valve really want to push VR into the main stream the price needs to come down.

$999 for the current kit is insane

I love games, i have a high end PC and am willing to spend money on high end PC tech, but no way can i justify dropping $999 on their current VR kits.

Take your sensitivity elsewhere please . I'm speaking my mind based off experience with all these companies. Ignore list works well BTW I use it frecuently. Criticising a companies hypocrisy, stating obvious observations or criticizing a game isn't console warring neither is comparing or contrasting. Some of you need to cut tht thought pattern out.
This is not even a microsoft thread.

Resenge

Yet I'm the idiot.
Finally we are on the same page. After reflection I withdraw this comment, I don't think your an idiot just uninformed.

Anyway as much as I would like MS to adopt VR I can't see it happening just yet.

Last edited:

Romulus

You really can't see the difference? I'm comparing the same franchise.

The reason I did is because people say VR is far from dead. Yet I'm the idiot.

Let me spell it out. VR as a platform is still growing. PC gaming didn't fall out of the sky, it grew from nerdy dudes in their basements into a monster industry. The reason Valve and all these other guys are so involved with it is they want to be on the ground floor as it builds. It may never reach mainstream completely, but with the way gamers purchase VR games, it doesn't have to be.

Last edited:
The kind of the opposite. Its never saw a decline in popularity. Always a very slow increase.
Not to mention, more headsets keep getting announced, more than ever now.
Well, looks like a good thing, then, the more, the better!

NullZ3r0

Banned
If Series X doesn't get a VR headset then any successful VR game on Playstation become default exclusives.

This is what happened when Nintendo refused to use CDs and thus, Playstation games couldn't run on Nintendo hardware. This caused third party Playstation games to become psudo-exclusives.

Ms was always interested in VR, it's just that Xbox One is too weak to do it and XboxOneX was sold in too few numbers to support it. The question is if Ms would jump in now or later.
MS has been quite vocal about VR. It isn't mainstream so they'll just dip a toe in the water in the event it blows up. They were more focused on AR experiences. Their focus right now is on game streaming where the juicy profit margins are. Their de facto VR environment is the PC. That's where the innovation and experimentation will happen. If it pops off, MS is well-positioned.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
HP? That's surprising. We use their blade servers, I use to work with some of their older storage systems, and of course their network printers are all over the place. But VR? Wild to see them going into such a new territory for them.

FireFly

If Valve really want to push VR into the main stream the price needs to come down.

$999 for the current kit is insane

I love games, i have a high end PC and am willing to spend money on high end PC tech, but no way can i justify dropping $999 on their current VR kits.
Why not get Reverb G2 then?

A.Romero

VR is the future. What we are seeing now is just the equivalent to the NES. These are only the early stages of the technology. Tech is expensive and cumbersome. Games are not the best quality yet but they are getting there.

There will be a time in the future when the solution is consumer friendly enough that it would be stupid not to jump in.

You really can't see the difference? I'm comparing the same franchise.

The reason I did is because people say VR is far from dead. Yet I'm the idiot.

VR is as dead as TV was in the early 1930s.

an expensive but exciting device for few people with not enough programs. Gimmicky and expensive next to radio, which has plenty of programs, big time faces and only lacks one dimension. TV's never going forward and one HL here, one Skyrim or Resident Evil there won't change my mind. Humbug!

CuNi

I'm sad that the Reverb G2 has no native lighthouse compatibility. Would've been a killer device if it did.

CitizenX

Banned
VR is dead. If you wanna copy Sony then why the most dead thing? No one cares about VR.

Copy? you know Valve is the leader in tech right? Also You know 3 of the best titles this year are VR and a lot more continue to release. Just because you are in a bubble doesnt mean other things are not happening.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Last thing in the world I want to hear that Valve is spending their time on. Make games, fuckers.

They just put out a AAA Half-Life game 4 months ago, gave it to people with index controllers for free, and it’s rated #8 all time in Steam with 98.61% positive reviews while also developing an OpenVR platform that anyone can use and the best overall HMD and controllers. After seeing what console manufacturers are showcasing, it sure seems like Valve actually is focusing on pushing the medium forward in great new leaps over the more incremental updates in specs for console hardware which seem to be underwhelming to a lot of people.

But hey, you do you bud. I like gamepass, I think the PS5 will have new features and exclusives I want, and the VR experience is still far and away the most immersive way to play games. And I like taking a Switch on the road with me.

Romulus

I would argue that VR is technically superior too. That's what surprised me the most. Even if you take away the motion controls, and it's just a controller game, the screen itself is just leaps and bounds above what a monitor can do, and trying to understand that by watching a video, on a monitor, defeats the purpose entirely.

PooBone

They just put out a AAA Half-Life game 4 months ago, gave it to people with index controllers for free, and it’s rated #8 all time in Steam with 98.61% positive reviews while also developing an OpenVR platform that anyone can use and the best overall HMD and controllers. After seeing what console manufacturers are showcasing, it sure seems like Valve actually is focusing on pushing the medium forward in great new leaps over the more incremental updates in specs for console hardware which seem to be underwhelming to a lot of people.

But hey, you do you bud. I like gamepass, I think the PS5 will have new features and exclusives I want, and the VR experience is still far and away the most immersive way to play games. And I like taking a Switch on the road with me.
Ditto.

Glad they released a well-reviewed game. Sad that no one played it, myself included, a big Half Life fan.
EDIT: That's like saying you can't dislike Stadia because one of their games reviewed well. :messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

Resenge

Ditto.

Glad they released a well-reviewed game. Sad that no one played it, myself included, a big Half Life fan.
EDIT: That's like saying you can't dislike Stadia because one of their games reviewed well. :messenger_expressionless:
Half Life Alyx would not have reviewed as well on a flat screen, VR is what made that game so good.
No one plays Stadia and says "That blew me away" yet VR gets that reaction all the time. Maybe for you as a half life fan it was sad as you didn't get to play it, but for me a half life fan who did get to play it, it was awesome and I loved it as did a lot of other people.

Do you complain about other console exclusives that you cannot play because you don't have the hardware?

Last edited:

PooBone

Half Life Alyx would not have reviewed as well on a flat screen, VR is what made that game so good.
No one plays Stadia and says "That blew me away" yet VR gets that reaction all the time. Maybe for you as a half life fan it was sad as you didn't get to play it, but for me a half life fan who did get to play it, it was awesome and I loved it as did a lot of other people.

Do you complain about other console exclusives that you cannot play because you don't have the hardware?

If they want to make more VR games, more power to them.

More iterative hardware? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Top Bottom