• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve is already planning a Steam Deck 2

Honey Bunny

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-is-already-planning-a-steam-deck-2/

Speaking to EDGE Magazine, Newell was discussing Valve's surprise when the most expensive version of the Steam Deck proved to "far and away" be the most popular version of the handheld. "That's why we always love to get something out there and ship it. Because we learn a lot from that, and it helps frame our thinking for Deck 2."

This new version of the Steam Deck will likely be a more powerful version of the device, reflecting what Valve believes its customers are saying in purchasing the higher-end deck. "They're basically saying 'We would like an even more expensive version of this' in terms of horsepower capabilities or whatever," Newell said.

That Steam Deck 1 is old shit

SeraphJan

Not surprised, consider they are planning for next gen right after current gen launches in the console space.

Kuranghi

They should call it "Steam Deal" to continue the reference to willies. Although this time literally instead of just the accidental autocorrecting of Steam Deck.

KiteGr

Well... since I'm on "after Q2" zone, if the preorders for SD2 start before that, I'll cancel and preorder early the newer model.

Unk Adams

Banned
The Steamdeck I just got rocks.
But it was obsolete before I opened the box.

You've had your Steam Deck for over a week?
Throw that junk away man, it's an antique.

So your Steam Deck is a week old, that's great.
If you can use a nice paperweight.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On one hand, it's pretty obvious that Valve knows they have a hit on their hands. Did anyone expect them to not already be thinking about a successor?

Secondly, all Gabe is really saying here is that they've seen massive demand for the most premium version of the console. So when they finally do release the successor, they're planning on making a high-end premium version with better internals and more horsepower. This should have been a plainly obvious strategy to anyone who has been paying attention to the fact that the Xbox Series X is constantly sold out everywhere even after 18 months.

daveonezero

Banned
Makes sense especially with Zen3 and AMD hardware updates. They have the software and form factor already designed.
Obsolete on release. Nice Valve.
This is all consoles. The hardware gets finalized long before release. Steam Deck may actually be an example of finalization and release being closer together.

Steam deck is a waste of money and will fail like the steam machine.
I disagree with the price point they are at this is better than any integrated graphics laptop if the main purpose is gaming. And it can be used as a "PC" in a dock like scenario.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Lately I've been thinking whether I should keep my reservation for q2 or cancel it and save that money for PSVR2. At the moment I'm not getting out that much so playing in my desktop is the more logic choice. Steam Deck SD3 should be a more attractive option.

Last edited:

Fbh

Of course they are. It's essentially a small portable PC, you should be comparing it more to a gaming laptop than a console. And every major gaming laptop maker releases updated versions of their devices almost every year. Sometimes it's just the same (or very similar) form factor with updated hardware, sometimes they make bigger changes to the overall design.

Personally I'm not too interested in the deck as it is now. But if in 2-3 iterations they iron out some of the initial issues and make it a bit smaller I could see myself getting one.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Lately I've been thinking whether I should keep my reservation for q2 or cancel it and save that money for PSVR2. At the moment I'm not getting out that much so playing in my desktop is the more logic choice. Steam Deck SD3 should be a more attractive option.
In that situation I would just get the Deck to trade, and ask for a PS5 and PSVR2 in return for a 512GB Steam Deck, or at least the equivalent in cash.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Where did people get the idea that the steamdeck is a console? At no point has it been advertised as a console, it's always been sold as a portable PC, and PCs get upgraded yearly.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been absolutely loving my Steam Deck. Honestly, if they had a $1,000 or $1,500 model that had a lot higher specs, I'd pre-order it today.

daveonezero

Banned
Been absolutely loving my Steam Deck. Honestly, if they had a $1,000 or $1,500 model that had a lot higher specs, I'd pre-order it today.
I’d buy one today if it had zen3+. I’m looking at that Zephyrus with a 6700s and it is looking real good.

The power management and being able to play Elden Ring at 60fps.

$1600 isn’t bad for an ultra book and discrete graphics.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I’d buy one today if it had zen3+. I’m looking at that Zephyrus with a 6700s and it is looking real good.

A handheld with the same Rembrandt as the latest Zephyrus is most definitely going to come to the market, either by Valve or by someone else. It should be noted that the Zephyrus' Radeon 680M iGPU performance should be outclassed by a handheld version that uses LPDDR5.
The laptop DDR5 on the Zephyrus uses 4800MT/s DDR5 memory (76.8GB/s total). The Deck uses 5500MT/s LPDDR5 (88GB/s), but Rembrandt can use 6400MT/s LPDDR5 (102.4GB/s).
The iGPU in the Zephyrus is probably bottlenecked by memory bandwidth as it's getting a lot less than even the Steam Deck with a smaller GPU.

Top Bottom