• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: "Steam Deck is a multi-generational product... New versions of Steam Deck are coming"

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Forget about ARM, let them create a RISC-V deck

200w.gif

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, I know. They're on Steam Deck, because Steam Deck is a PC, and everything is on PC.

If you want to get into nitty gritty details, that nice SteamOS is countered by flaky game compatibility. To actually have everything you'll be using Windows anyway.
Deck has 5000 Certified or Playable games. And being able to install Windows and dual-boot is a positive, not a negative.

What PS and Xbox games have flakey compatibility. Every PS former-exclusive I've tried runs good to great. Days Gone, HZD, God of War, Spider-Man, etc.

Kacho

Gold Member
Always said if I jump in it’ll be the second revision. I expect a big leap in many areas, likely addressing some of the issues I have.

Like wut. How can you not love this device?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I'm just expecting a Steam Deck Mini, because I think a good Handheld console should fit in an inside pocket. And the current Steam Deck can't even fit correctly in a fanny pack :messenger_persevering:

Look at this fat boi in front of the perfectly shaped PS Vita

fktyykzxwaer-yb.jpeg
I cannot imagine not having a backpack around.
There is no time I am living home without backpack. Main chamber is empty but in small pocket I keep my wallet, keys and order stuff. All of that would be annoying in pocket.

What I am saying. Get in a habit of using a backpack. Not even a big one!

Btw. My deck coming next week!!!!

Last edited:

BlackTron

Deck has 5000 Certified or Playable games. And being able to install Windows and dual-boot is a positive, not a negative.

What PS and Xbox games have flakey compatibility. Every PS former-exclusive I've tried runs good to great. Days Gone, HZD, God of War, Spider-Man, etc.

I've heard anecdotally that things can be finicky even with certified games.

My point is that if you want to bring up minutiae like the OS then you can't ignore any caveats that go with it. Caveats which I ignored previously.

You seem to be saying "stop you're wrong, SteamDeck is great!" when I never said it's not great, I just said it's really easy to wait for gen 2 because the utility it provides is that of a portable PC. And a lot of people already have a PC.

But no wait, I should buy it right now because of SteamOs...lol

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
There is no time I am living home without backpack. Main chamber is empty but in small pocket I keep my wallet, keys and order stuff. All of that would be annoying in pocket.

Ordered my deck on monday, Hope to get it soon as well.

Not sure why people think there revision will be next year? They haven't even managed to fulfill preorders of the first one yet, I'd say 2024 at minimum.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Yeah I always have a bag with me too. I use the Small version of this...

4Bp7k2x.jpg

Fits my Steam Deck (in it's case), the charger, a battery bank, my iPad Pro, phone, wallet, keys, and lunch, yet it's one of the smallest messenger bags I could find. I only take a backpack out when I'm taking my camera and/or Quest 2 out.

Handhelds post Switch are large though. The days of slipping a DS device or PSP/Vita into a coat pocket are long gone.

I owned the original NVIDIA Shield and found it awkward to pocket. Everything after that has been bagged.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah I always have a bag with me too. I use the Small version of this...

4Bp7k2x.jpg

Fits my Steam Deck (in it's case), the charger, a battery bank, my iPad Pro, phone, wallet, keys, and lunch, yet it's one of the smallest messenger bags I could find. I only take a backpack out when I'm taking my camera and/or Quest 2 out.

Handhelds post Switch are large though. The days of slipping a DS device or PSP/Vita into a coat pocket are long gone.

I owned the original NVIDIA Shield and found it awkward to pocket. Everything after that has been bagged.
Fuck I want this for my work travel.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Not sure if this is problematic for sales. If you knew a better version of your pc-like console was coming in 1-2 years, wouldn't you wait for it?
The nature of PC gaming is that you get immediate improvements to your games. This is much easier than the PS4 / PS4 Pro situation where you had a fixed config that lasted for years and games had to be written with that in mind (there was a Boost mode for the PS4 Pro, but it was not nearly as automatic or robust as the PC equivalent).

That's like saying you don't buy a new graphics card or a new laptop since next year there will be something better. But then 1-2 years later there will be something better still so when will you decide to buy? Never?

Top Bottom