• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: "Steam Deck is a multi-generational product... New versions of Steam Deck are coming"

lachesis

Mine is coming in Tuesday! I will see how it works out for me - and will grab the SD2 if I find the need to upgrade.
I don't think I can wait for the next version which we are not even sure what kind of upgrade interval these would have.
Kinda difficult to see as annual minor upgrades - but maybe when they can secure RDNA3 APU designed dedicated for next gen Steam Deck perhaps?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
A portable PC is going to have a better model in the future?
Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

And after them promising it was a console! outrageous.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The game isn't officially compatible with Linux / Proton, but people have gotten it running. Unfortunately BattleEye will flag you as a cheater and your account may get banned.

You can install Windows though and play it that way. Last I checked there's now Windows drivers for all of the hardware. It probably runs like garbage though. Windows = more overhead and none of the perks of Steam OS 3 and Proton (like shader precaching optimization, customizable refresh rand frame rate, GPU clocking and voltage limiting without third party tools, etc).
Battleborne, Battlerite, Battleye?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I wasn't wise back then and my reward for that was getting the red ring of death on my 360.

First of all, the Xbox 360 was the second iteration. Secondly, if people never bought the first iteration of tech then we would never get a second iteration of tech. Without people buying the original PlayStation or Xbox we wouldn't have the industry we have today.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
damn i will be selling my deck now it's still worth something.
and then i will wait for the steam deck 3 because that one will be even better then the second

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Because the Steam Deck is not very efficient, battery running for 1h on 3D heavy games, the noise levels are attrocious and the heat also is a turn off. It's cool gimmick, but not much more than that these days.

I guess I must have a very special unit because mine doesn't release a lot of heat and the fan noise is pretty much negligible (I should know, otherwise my wife would tell me to turn it off in bed while she's trying to sleep).

I also tend to get more than 2h when playing Sniper Elite 4 and Dragon's Dogma @45 FPS VSynced. And the hundreds of hours I poured in it during situations where otherwise I wouldn't be able to play games (babysitting my kids in their room, train, car, plane trips, family vacations abroad, etc.) make it a lot more than a gimmick to me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
if steam deck 2 comes out valve better lower the prices of the first one and keep the newer one at 400 minimum. the reason the steam deck is still popular and relevant over the other PC handhelds is because its so cheap. that isnt gonna work when they're constantly raising the price with each iteration
Iphones sell too.
Fuck it give me a premium deck 2 for 1000.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Considering that the next switch should be on par if not better than the current deck, I'm not really surprised.
It won’t be. The deck lasts sub 2 hours playing AAA titles, Nintendo will never allow it. The company also doesn’t have the bandwidth to develop AAA games at the rate it is required.

Switch 2 will use only-less-ancient chip compared to totally-ancient-rubbish Tegra the OH switch is using now.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hope the next one has a lot more power. I want to play Total War: Warhammer 3 on max 4K settings on the go.

I don't care how big it needs to be or how much it'll cost. Just make it happen. I need it to be top of the range PC rig power.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I got a q3 steam deck and ita insane. More than happy I supported. Will pick up the next one no doubt and pass this on. Loving it. All these games in your hands are insane. Playing god of war and spider man hand held is crazy. I guess this really is the best vita 2 we will get.

Karamina

Neo Member
I'm just expecting a Steam Deck Mini, because I think a good Handheld console should fit in an inside pocket. And the current Steam Deck can't even fit correctly in a fanny pack :messenger_persevering:

Look at this fat boi in front of the perfectly shaped PS Vita

fktyykzxwaer-yb.jpeg

BlackTron

that must of been a long wait till the ps2 and xbox 360 then

At least PS and Xbox had exclusive games. This is just yet another PC in yet another form factor.

I don't think anyone will suffer that bad with the desktop PC and Switch they already have while waiting for a Deck 2 that will be SO MUCH better. If you skipped PS then you missed MGS and Tomb Raider.

I waited a long time to get a new graphics card and it seems like we are getting to the right moment to strike very soon. As a result I'll get much better tech for much less money, and it's not like my life sucked waiting, if the game was more demanding I played it on Series X. Which is my first Xbox since a fat white 360...it doesn't make sense to upgrade everything, all the time. Pick your wallet's fights strategically lol.

Boy bawang

It won’t be. The deck lasts sub 2 hours playing AAA titles, Nintendo will never allow it. The company also doesn’t have the bandwidth to develop AAA games at the rate it is required.

Switch 2 will use only-less-ancient chip compared to totally-ancient-rubbish Tegra the OH switch is using now.

The architecture between both is completely different (arm vs x86), you're making an apple to orange comparison here by mentioning power consumption.
We already know more or less what's in the GPU of the next switch thanks to the Nvidia hack: and unless Nintendo goes for extremely low clocks (as in, lower than the current switch), those 12SMs/1536 cuda cores will be enough to beat the deck quite handily; especially if you factor the fact that DLSS was in nvn2. You can download it yourself if you want to check, it's public information though it was illegally acquired.

The next switch should be exactly what the OG Switch was on release: about 1/4 of the same generation PlayStation, and more powerful than the previous playstation generation. Nothing surprising here.

And once again: the Nvidia hack tells us more or less what we need to know in terms of GPU.

Last edited:

Tunned

Love my SD and will undoubtedly get the second when it happens. I'm hoping either they shrink it a bit by removing the screen bezels, or put in an OLED screen and make it fill the current bezels. Either way, whatever Valve do, it will be glorious!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
At least PS and Xbox had exclusive games. This is just yet another PC in yet another form factor.
And now they're on Steam Deck.

If you've used Deck you'd realize it's far from "just a PC". SteamOS on Deck is the best UI I've used. Really takes a dump on the PS5 and XSX UI, and the Steam and Performance buttons make accessing and tweaking settings and performance insanely fast.

BlackTron

And now they're on Steam Deck.

If you've used Deck you'd realize it's far from "just a PC". SteamOS on Deck is the best UI I've used. Really takes a dump on the PS5 and XSX UI, and the Steam and Performance buttons make accessing and tweaking settings and performance insanely fast.

Yeah, I know. They're on Steam Deck, because Steam Deck is a PC, and everything is on PC.

If you want to get into nitty gritty details, that nice SteamOS is countered by flaky game compatibility. To actually have everything you'll be using Windows anyway.

Top Bottom