• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is being ported to the Nintendo Switch for release in April 2022

CGiRanger

Banned
Trailer:

News:

Super happy this is being ported. I've heard good things about this game and it's nice that it will have a chance to hopefully earn more sales on the Switch platform. Nice to see Atlas having faith in the system, I wonder if SMTV sales are doing reasonably well?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its a interesting game and I'm fan of Vanillaware games, its just hard for me to pick because here is way too much expansive.

Danjin44 Danjin44 will love about this. Its his favorite game.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
200.gif

Seriously, I'm glad this game with get more exposure and sales.

lachesis

I actually enjoyed causing that stuttering on my PS4 Pro. Kind of felt real bad ass by doing so… like Tom Hanks yelling “Look what I have created!” after making fire from scratch in the movie Cast Away.

I probably will double dip, depending on the language options… but if it comes with OST CD, I may even jump to the collector’s edition.

CGiRanger

Banned
Mostly in combat section when you use missile rain and see 1000 enemies get destroyed.
Ah ok, so it wasn't like a constant thing all the time.

Still I wonder what sacrifices will need to be made to run the game on the Switch. The game doesn't look too graphically intensive from the trailer. I guess maybe the battle scenes as you said have a lot of things going on in them?

Game was designed with handhelds in mind (just look at the menu UI). Should be right at home. It’s basically Persona meets Starcraft, but simpler.

Good game. Tries to do too much, especially narratively. They probably could condense 5-6 of the campaign characters and it would make the game far less laborious.

Amin_Parker

Clearly the Nintendo Switch is doing unprecedented record sales in Japan and that is starting to bear fruit to all of the other regions around the world as well in the form of powerful hitting software. The Switch is the DS/PS2 of the modern era.

Pejo

I would LOVE that as well but unfortunately this is one of the few Vanillaware game that wasn't published by Atlus.
It sucks that the best version is locked behind Vita, which doesn't even have a suitable emulator. I really liked the added characters.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It sucks that the best version is locked behind Vita, which doesn't even have a suitable emulator. I really liked the added characters.
If this game was published by Atlus it would have been ported to modern systems by now but currently we have no idea if Marvelous is even interested porting this game to other systems.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

As long as the end result is more cash deposited in Vanillaware's bank account, this can only be a good thing.
One of the best "auteur" Dev studios out there. Each of their games is a moving piece of art.

McCheese

Awesome game, I suspect they'll switch to sprites perhaps for the battle stuff, or reduce the numbers and buff the stats? the PS4 Pro even struggled maintaining a decent framerate during big battles. The tower defence gameplay bits are not the main crux of the game anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aenima

Finished and even got the platinum trophy recently. Amazing game, especially great story and amazing 2D art. Combat was just ok.

Game is on promo right now.

ranmafan

Great news for switch fans. If you haven’t tried this game out before, especially if you only have a switch and couldn’t play the playstation version, take a chance and play this. The story is too good not to pass up. I’ll probably be getting it again as well on the switch. A replay of this in portable mode will be quite nice.

CamHostage

Still I wonder what sacrifices will need to be made to run the game on the Switch. The game doesn't look too graphically intensive from the trailer. I guess maybe the battle scenes as you said have a lot of things going on in them?

I don't know that there would have to be sacrifices, per se? It was originally conceived to be on Vita as well as PS4, then delays put it out of contention for release on the Sony's dropped portable. So it was originally being made to be on lesser hardware, that just never happened until now. PS4 version has technical hitches, but it looks like the game engine already has a system for simplifying the effects display of units/attacks on-screen when commands are being given. (I haven't actually played the game, is that a correct assessment of how the game works?) If that's the case, they might be able to dial that in more severely in command-issuing moments on Switch. The visual style is intentionally excessive, but the gameplay systems seem to already have means of stabilizing when you need control; they maybe under-utilized it on PS4 since the framerate remained okay except for some hairy later events, on Switch they may have to be more constrictive.

Or, as some have mentioned, they might simplify battle balance with different enemy numbers (or clusters?) at a similar HP to present the battles as similarly as possible. Maybe also take off some of the particle lighting effects and quantity of particles in an explosion-shower. (Particles have been particularly problematic on a mobile device in other games, so it's the one worrying aspect of this port, that it's so particle-heavy in its effects, but they do have options.)

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
For anyone wondering what this game is like, it comes with my highest recommendation and I really enjoyed my time with it.

It's closer to a visual novel although I still found the combat sections to be fun if somewhat unique, turrets are OP though.

Really glad those who haven't had the opportunity to experience it will now.

Last edited:
perfect game for Switch although it can be quite difficult to hold the console in one hand, I'm sure the target demo have perfected that technique by now though

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Really recommend the game, enjoy guys! But I'd be wary about the frame rate issues. Better check first before jumping in.

Slightly OT but I checked the Gematsu article about this and Sony hatred and Switch fanboyism are super cringe.

Manji Uzuki

This game being available to more people are great news! It was an amazing experience and as many said, this will be a great fit for Switch

Top Bottom