• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

Now Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, wants the action movie to break another glass ceiling. Although executives haven’t commented publicly on their plans, they have internally discussed launching a formidable awards-season campaign for the movie, in the hopes of making it the first comic-book film nominated for best picture, Variety has learned.
The studio will also stump Patty Jenkins for best director, which would also be groundbreaking. No director of a comic-book film — not even Christopher Nolan — has ever been nominated, and only men have ruled the category since (and before) Kathryn Bigelow won the Oscar for “The Hurt Locker” in 2010.
The studio’s efforts will include reintroducing the film this fall, to scarce few who may not have seen it. Insiders report strong reactions to the screening of “Wonder Woman” at the Academy, as it’s been championed by a liberal Hollywood and a reinvigorated wave of feminism in response to Donald Trump. But the movie’s glow could diminish if the mashup tentpole “Justice League,” which comes out in November and co-stars Gadot, gets ripped to shreds by harsh reviews.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wonder-woman-oscars-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-comic-book-1202509132/

giphy.gif

I think studios this year, especially considering the increase in voting rolls and the diversified member base, need to take advantage by pushing films hard that they otherwise wouldn't push, and letting the academy take a chance to write its own narrative about being more open.

Fox needs to push Logan for awards.
WB needs to push Wonder Woman
Get Out needs a HUGE push.

I mean, I liked it well enough but I doubt this is the one the Academy will go for. Logan has a better shot and even that isn't a guarantee.

Yeah no...

Loved the movie, but you're delusional if you think WW, let alone any superhero movie aside from maybe Logan and the Dark Knight, ever had a chance at the Oscars.

The Kree

Banned
The studio’s efforts will include reintroducing the film this fall, to scarce few who may not have seen it. Insiders report strong reactions to the screening of “Wonder Woman” at the Academy, as it’s been championed by a liberal Hollywood and a reinvigorated wave of feminism in response to Donald Trump. But the movie’s glow could diminish if the mashup tentpole “Justice League,” which comes out in November and co-stars Gadot, gets ripped to shreds by harsh reviews.

So if it wins, people will say it won for the "wrong" reasons.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I remember when they were really giving TDKR a push in 2012 for the Oscars.

I mean, I liked the movie, but uh yeah

Boke1879

Yeah no...

Loved the movie, but you're delusional if you think WW, let alone any superhero movie aside from maybe Logan and the Dark Knight, ever had a chance at the Oscar's.

Don't see what's so shocking about them pushing for Patty to get Best Director honestly.

gamz

I think studios this year, especially considering the increase in voting rolls and the diversified member base, need to take advantage by pushing films hard that they otherwise wouldn't push, and letting the academy take a chance to write its own narrative about being more open.

Fox needs to push Logan for awards.
WB needs to push Wonder Woman
Get Out needs a HUGE push.

Split for McAvoy.

I think he'll be forgotten tho.

Boke1879

Makes sense don't most movies do this?

Yea, but like Bobby said. More movies they don't normally get the attention NEED to push hard.

Logan, WW and Get Out all need to be pushed.

It's not shock seeing nothing change in Hollywood considering some of the opinions here lol.

Well I can't see it making the shortlist, but I think it's a good thing for WB to campaign for it anyway. Its profile and importance for the genre should be pushed.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Eh good luck but its going to get stomped by everything else and most likely deservedly so. Its a good entertaining movie but its not anywhere near the best movie of the year.

Here's a distinction I think should be made:

Wanting a studio to make the push isn't the same as wanting the film to actually get the nod.

That seems like splitting a hair, but I think the big benefit here isn't the odds of Wonder Woman actually securing the nod - but the studios AND the Academy getting used to breaking the busted conventional wisdom about what kinds of movies can and cant get consideration.

If the studios push movies like Get Out and Logan and Wonder Woman more, put real effort in the politics side of it, it's going to be a good thing for the Oscars, I think.

(that said, I think Stewart has a serious shot at Best Supporting)

Top Bottom