• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

ZeroX03

Banned
I mean if Suicide Squad can do it...

Seriously though, it's more of a statement play. She won't win, but a nomination sends a strong message about female directors and superheroes (and ya know, WB's output). Besides, many films every year arguably aren't worth the nomination/awards they get or it's political. That's just how the game works.

lol! It's a solid comic flick that's as far as this goes. Anyone that legit thinks this is beyond what we have been seeing for years now with these type of films is kidding themselves

Seems like a waste of money but f it, the movie made WB a good chunk

Prompto

Banned
This isn't surprising. Deadpool got a huge push last year remember? (And was even successful at getting nominations at some award shows)

I feel like there's at least a shot at Wonder Woman getting in the 9th or 10th slot for Best Picture, as the token "popular film that got critical praise that the Academy throws a token nomination to as a way of showing that they're hip with the kids these days" film. I don't think Jenkins has any shot at Best Director.

What movies were breathtaking and memorable this year thus far?

Dunkirk?

Don't see why WW wouldn't be pushed, nothing has been a critical darling with such cultural impact this year so far

Vice

lol! It's a solid comic flick that's as far as this goes. Anyone that legit thinks this is beyond what we have been seeing for years now with these type of films is kidding themselves
The push will help other better, genre films get Academy recognition in the future. I don't think WW was spectacular, but Super hero and general comics films could use more eyes on them whenever the next TDK, Logan or something based on an indie book that's great comes out. Will help end the genre ghetto.

Dunkirk?

Don't see why WW wouldn't be pushed, nothing has been a critical darling with such cultural impact this year so far
This year?
Get Out
The Beguiled
Okja
I don't feel.at home any more
Certain Women

Would probably all be above WW on an end of year list based on what I've seen this year. Detroit next week also looks like a likely nominee.

It would also be good to see multiple female.directors nominated this year. Jenkins, Coppola and Bigelow getting the majority of noms would be a good look.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Dunkirk?

WW is genre, genre doesn't win Oscars.

Oscar season is November/December. We haven't seen most of the nominees yet.

The push will help other better, genre films get Academy recognition in the future. I don't think WW was spectacular, but Super hero and general comics films could use more eyes on them whenever the next TDK, Logan or something based on an indie book that's great comes out. Will help end the genre ghetto.

The whole academy changing their best pic nom was solely because of Dark Knight and led something like Mad Max to getting a nod

devilhawk

Dunkirk?

Eh, why not I guess.

What else has been so good that Wonder Woman shouldn't be considered for nomination?
It's July.

The award winners don't normally get released until November. Hell, many don't see wide release until after the new year.

BadAss2961

WB coming off as a little desperate after finally having a movie be well received critically.
The winner is Mad Max: Fury Road

x9000

Doesn't matter.

Award driven films come out in the fall.

And there's already a handful of films better this year as is

WW is genre, genre doesn't win Oscars.

Oscar season is November/December. We haven't seen most of the nominees yet.
Who cares whether it wins or not though? Giving the nod to Patty and the cultural narrative surrounding the film at the Oscars would make it less pretentious to the eyes of many that skip the proceedings.

I would argue the same that Get Out deserves a nod as well.

Here's a distinction I think should be made:

Wanting a studio to make the push isn't the same as wanting the film to actually get the nod.

That seems like splitting a hair, but I think the big benefit here isn't the odds of Wonder Woman actually securing the nod - but the studios AND the Academy getting used to breaking the busted conventional wisdom about what kinds of movies can and cant get consideration.

If the studios push movies like Get Out and Logan and Wonder Woman more, put real effort in the politics side of it, it's going to be a good thing for the Oscars, I think.

(that said, I think Stewart has a serious shot at Best Supporting)

Yeah, this is where I sit too. I mean, we can go "lol good luck" all day and probably be right, but it's more about WB making the push on principle and what it means for the future of film recognition. No, it's not going to win. It likely won't even make the nomination shortlist. But next year? Maybe Black Panther or whatever will. The stuffy old white man's club that is the Oscars needs a shake up. It's already happened recently with The Dark Knight and Fury Road and that should continue this year with Wonder Woman and Logan.

Get Out should be pushed too, but that one I'd say actually has a decent shot of getting a nomination.

Why not?

Regardless of how you feel about the film, I think you can at least appreciate the strategy. Actively pushing for a superhero film to be even nominated would be huge.

Would WW win? Most likely not. But for battles like these you take a step at a time. If such a move gives this kind of movie credibility so that perhaps a future film in this genre would win, then it sounds like a good strategy to me.

I'm sure that if they decided to go full steam ahead with this, they would have a lot of reasonable arguments on their side to at least have people consider a nomination.

A win is the best, but a nomination is absolutely valuable.

The cast and crew work just as hard for these films, and if the film was praised and enjoyed, it's not outside the realm of reasonable to at least nominate it.

Foggy

Who cares whether it wins or not though? Giving the nod to Patty and the cultural narrative surrounding the film at the Oscars would make it less pretentious to the eyes of many that skip the proceedings.

Academy Awards are already incredibly unpretentious. The only part of the awards that could be labeled that are the foreign film nods.

x9000
In a just world, that would have happened. Of course, it did happen for most of the night until they got to the major awards.

It was good...but it wasn't that good.

If we're talking about unconventional choices:
Logan? Maybe.
War For the Planet of the Apes? Sure, why not.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The Academy doesn't care if they look pretentious or not. It's a genre picture with feminist vibes directed by a woman. Historically it basically has no chance with Academy voters for a nomination, let alone a win. It could potentially sneak into Picture since there are so many slots now, but it's still a long shot.

Get Out deserves the nod far more, and has a better shot, I'd say, just by virtue of being a more thoughtful film addressing a social issue the Academy is much more willing to acknowledge, with bonus points in that it isn't part of the perceived "superhero fad." Remember, the Oscars have very little to do with how good a film is. It's all politics.

That said, this isn't really much of a bombshell. I mean Paramount has run campaigns to get Michael Bay and the Transformers movies nominated for Director and Picture.

If any superhero movie it's Logan. Dunkirk is my pick right now. At least a best director because I love the way he made that movie.

You can tell who hasn't read the article.

WB's real push is for Dunkirk, but scoring nominations for WW in the directing (unlikely) or best picture (slim chance but possible) is a win, in addition to the usual technical categories.

And ultimately, why not? The mentality that they shouldn't try is why it took so long to make a Wonder Woman movie in the first place.

Oersted

41745_01_paramount-trolls-academy-transformers-4-oscar-campaign_full.jpg

Are you guys that new to Oscar campaigns?

Academy Awards are already incredibly unpretentious. The only part of the awards that could be labeled that are the foreign film nods.
Compared to the Grammys, the Tonys, and the Globes, the Oscars are unmistakably placed at a higher platform for reasons unknown to me.

The Academy doesn't care if they look pretentious or not. It's a genre picture with feminist vibes directed by a woman. Historically it basically has no chance with Academy voters for a nomination, let alone a win. It could potentially sneak into Picture since there are so many slots now, but it's still a long shot.

Get Out deserves the nod far more, and has a better shot, I'd say, just by virtue of being a more thoughtful film addressing a social issue the Academy is much more willing to acknowledge, with bonus points in that it isn't part of the perceived "superhero fad." Remember, the Oscars have very little to do with how good a film is. It's all politics.

That said, this isn't really much of a bombshell. I mean Paramount has run campaigns to get Michael Bay and the Transformers movies nominated for Director and Picture.
Yes, it's clear the Academy doesn't give a shit, otherwise similar nods would have been given by then. Still doesn't change that WW is deserving of one.

conpfreak

This x2. When your movie is Oscar material, critics let you know that. There's nothing about Wonder Woman that screams "Oscar bait". Again, moviegoers, critics, and studios need to understand that the Oscars voting body likes certain types of movies, and they shouldn't go out their way to bait them into nominating certain movies because it's a hivemind.

I'll be fair to the Oscars voting body and say that they often highlight movies that elevate the craft that otherwise might not have gotten the attention it deserved (Moonlight for example). But Wonder Woman does absolutely nothing to elevate even within its own genre.

WBDC should get an honorary award for creating the first legit great female superhero movie. Seriously, creating a fem!Superhero movie shouldn't have been this complicated, but at least Hollywood has finally taken a hint it is possible.

Well considering Paramount tried to push this beaut for a not, why not?
91968eb95db139a77e54873f64b8ab259372340dc3f604de7ff09b2ef82ac913.jpg

Good luck on it getting a nom outside of the technical category though.

Edit: I see someone's already posted that pic, lol.

WBDC should get an honorary award for creating the first legit great female superhero movie. Seriously, creating a fem!Superhero movie shouldn't have been this complicated, but at least Hollywood has finally taken a hint it is possible.

You think they have. There is still time for Hollywood to prove us wrong on that.

Nah. It was good for what it was but it was just a superhero movie by and large. People need to stop giving these movie points for just having a coherent plot and a decent cast. That's some elementary shit. One thing that these movies should be knocking it out of the park in is the action choreography. Even that's bad to mediocre 99% of the time.

Top Bottom