• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

This x2. When your movie is Oscar material, critics let you know that. There's nothing about Wonder Woman that screams "Oscar bait". Again, moviegoers, critics, and studios need to understand that the Oscars voting body likes certain types of movies, and they shouldn't go out their way to bait them into nominating certain movies because it's a hivemind.

I'll be fair to the Oscars voting body and say that they often highlight movies that elevate the craft that otherwise might not have gotten the attention it deserved (Moonlight for example). But Wonder Woman does absolutely nothing to elevate even within its own genre.
Having a female director and having a female superhero not framed to be an object of desire in both the plot and camera is absolutely elevating the boys club genre.

As one of the most unapologetic fans around here of Pat and what she'd bring to the movie, even against some of the most diehard DCEU folks that aren't suffering from a memory lapse, I dunno about all that..

Movie was plenty good, but I wouldn't go that far. If she's given a shot at it? Welp. Won't complain..

Farsi

Can totally see Wonder Woman getting a best picture nom, but Patty has no chance. The competition this year is going to be beyond fierce.

This x2. When your movie is Oscar material, critics let you know that. There's nothing about Wonder Woman that screams "Oscar bait". Again, moviegoers, critics, and studios need to understand that the Oscars voting body likes certain types of movies, and they shouldn't go out their way to bait them into nominating certain movies because it's a hivemind.

I'll be fair to the Oscars voting body and say that they often highlight movies that elevate the craft that otherwise might not have gotten the attention it deserved (Moonlight for example). But Wonder Woman does absolutely nothing to elevate even within its own genre.

Almost everything you say here is wrong.

kswiston

You can tell who hasn't read the article.

WB's real push is for Dunkirk, but scoring nominations for WW in the directing (unlikely) or best picture (slim chance but possible) is a win, in addition to the usual technical categories.

And ultimately, why not? The mentality that they shouldn't try is why it took so long to make a Wonder Woman movie in the first place.

Like I said back in 2015 when we were having this discussion about The Force Awakens, I don't see Wonder Woman getting a BP nomination. The academy experimented with more populist picks for a couple of years when they first expanded the BP nomination ballot, but they have since moved back to their traditional favourites.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Logan is the only comic book movie in the ballpark for that kinda thing, and even then it doesn't cut it.

Wonder Woman was good popcorn fun with a few emotionally resonant scenes.

I doubt WB actually thinks WW has a shot at an Oscar nomination but I wouldn't be surprised if they did this as a show of support for Patty more than anything.

shira

They can buy two Golden Globes no problem.
Oscars would need way too much money

If Justice League is a dumpster fire it's going to be very hard to be like why was WW so good and then JL she's so shit

Like I said back in 2015 when we were having this discussion about The Force Awakens, I don't see Wonder Woman getting a BP nomination. The academy experimented with more populist picks for a couple of years when they first expanded the BP nomination ballot, but they have since moved back to their traditional favourites.

Yeah. Mentioned in the box office thread, but if Star Wars TFA didn't get it, I don't see Wonder Woman getting it either. But there's always the slim chance it might get nominated.

Although, 2015 did have The Martian getting nominated.

Wouldn't be surprised if WB pushes Blade Runner 2049 as well, depending on how it's received.

TDK was a little different. It's what caused the expansion to 10 BP nods right?

Although I think it was both TDK and Wall-E that caused it tho, can't remember it's been a while

JABEE

Movie was just good enough based on expectations. Not Oscar-worthy at all.

WB can push whatever they want I guess.

TDK was a little different. It's what caused the expansion to 10 BP nods right?

Although I think it was both TDK and Wall-E that caused it tho, can't remember it's been a while

Probably wouldn't have been WALL-E. It's one of the best sci-fi films in the last couple of decades, but there's a separate category for animated films. Happened after some people lost their minds when Beauty & the Beast was nominated for Best Picture.

Get Out is definitely getting some Oscar love, it would be a crime if it didn't. Wonder Woman was fantastic and I'd love for it to get some recognition outside of technical categories, but I don't see it happening.

It wasn't even better than Logan.

I think Spider-Man was better as well. But WW was more important in the zeitgeist. Finally a female superhero movie, with a female director, AND it couldn't be brought down by the baggage of the rest of the DCEU.

Chindogg

Get Out will probably win best original screenplay. I'd legit be surprised if they let two black films win back to back best picture. The Academy isn't that progressive.

Not sure about Wonder Woman winning, but I could see some nominations. Jenkins winning best director is very possible though.

It needs to go to Deakins.

Here, here!

bladerunner1.jpg

bladerunner2.jpg

bladerunner5.jpg

bladerunner7.jpg

kswiston

Get Out will probably win best original screenplay. I'd legit be surprised if they let two black films win back to back best picture. The Academy isn't that progressive.

You are making a pretty big leap in assuming that Get Out will still be fresh enough on people's minds come Awards season. It came out in February.

Top Bottom