• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

Zukkoyaki

Honestly, I can see an argument for Director. There was a TON of subtle stuff that only a female director would likely think about.

But heck no on Best Picture.

If Get Out gets a push, it'll have to be a full on push. Not just a flyer in Variety or an ad in THR. Paramount put that ad in a trade, but they didn't really push Bay for best director and Transformers for Best Picture.

When a studio wants to make that push, they basically deploy a legit campaign.

If Get Out is going to get noticed, that kind of a campaign will need to be deployed. It will cost money, and will need a lot of people.

Because it's a horror film written and directed by a Black man that came out in fucking January. That's a lot of stupid, broken conventional wisdom for that film to fight through. It can do it. It just needs the studio to back it right.

Honestly, they should focus in and just push Gadot for Best Actress. Focus on the narrative of Wonder Woman herself, and how Gadot gave a generation of girls a hero to see themselves in.

The film's third act issues and the Academy's genre bias will ensure the biggest trophies are off limits. But acting categories have a legacy of championing roles from unlikely films. Plus WB has a safe Oscar bet in Dunkirk - which is sounding like a director & BP lock. Why compete against themselves?

Get Out will probably win best original screenplay. I'd legit be surprised if they let two black films win back to back best picture. The Academy isn't that progressive.

Not sure about Wonder Woman winning, but I could see some nominations. Jenkins winning best director is very possible though.

Maybe it's that I have a low opinion of the Academy, they'd probably only nominate one woman for best director and if any it'll be Kathryn Bigelow again for Detroit. But who knows.

shira

I very much doubt it. The film is on Bluray. The financial incentive isn't going to be there.

IMAX re-release in an off-week or a double bill/DCEU marathon with JL

It only had one week of IMAX so pretty easy to miss since WOM came after

Ahasverus

I think they got Costume Design on lock. The others?? Well, there's nothing to lose.

Academy Award Winning DC Cinematic Universe keeps winning.

TheDanimal

There's been a disappointing lack of Baby Driver comments in this thread, come on guys.
But yeah, Wonder Woman does not deserve an oscar. Is it a good superhero movie? Sure. Anything more than that? Nope.
Also can Your Name get an Oscar? Because that was a good movie.

Tagg9

Haha, WB finally has a good DCEU film and they think they can win awards from the Hollywood elite crowd. Not going to happen

There's been a disappointing lack of Baby Driver comments in this thread, come on guys.
But yeah, Wonder Woman does not deserve an oscar. Is it a good superhero movie? Sure. Anything more than that? Nope.
Also can Your Name get an Oscar? Because that was a good movie.
Baby Driver seems like a safe push for editing & sound design/mixing trophies, but a director nod feels out of its reach.
As for Your Name, I wonder if it is eligible this year - since it took so long to come states. But if it is, it's got pretty good odds. This has been a very bad year for animation, so a smaller film might be able to break through to voters. Unless Pixar's Coco ends up being a masterpiece or something.

amaretto

Ambition is only applauded when the outcome is guaranteed.

Aspiring to a thing that looks out of reach is just dumb.

Meh. It's not like there'll be any harm from a campaign. I doubt anything will come from it but hey, I'm all for tapping on that glass ceiling until it comes down eventually.

J.K.-Simmons-Laugh.gif

I'd love Patty to win and for Gal to get a nomination. I think the score, SFX and screenplay are also noteworthy.

Patty winning would be amazing for women and comic book movies.

Lebron

Didn't Paramount try this hilarious shit with Transformers Age of Extinction?

The academy won't take this seriously lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nominate logan. Wonder woman was good but no better than most marvel movies that are just as entertaining and average.

Logan had an incredible performance and some of the most raw action sequences I've ever seen. And I don't just mean the blood and gore, every claw attack felt visceral. The director should be nominated as well.

Thewonandonly

Here's a distinction I think should be made:

Wanting a studio to make the push isn't the same as wanting the film to actually get the nod.

That seems like splitting a hair, but I think the big benefit here isn't the odds of Wonder Woman actually securing the nod - but the studios AND the Academy getting used to breaking the busted conventional wisdom about what kinds of movies can and cant get consideration.

If the studios push movies like Get Out and Logan and Wonder Woman more, put real effort in the politics side of it, it's going to be a good thing for the Oscars, I think.

(that said, I think Stewart has a serious shot at Best Supporting)
I will be so dissapoited if mcavoy doesn't at least get a nod for split as best actor even tho I think he should win it by far. Just the way he portrayed each personality was phenomenal. Honestly one of the best acting gigs I have seen because there were so much layers, if they didn't have a amazing actor that could pull it off then the movie wouldn't have worked but he knocked it out the god damn park.

Also the guy in get out was incredible exspecialky the scene where the girl paralizes him that looked like real fear.

Edit: back on topic I'm glad they are pushing it like you said but if Nolan doesn't win for best director with Dunkirk then I will be so disappointed :(. Cause the directing is easily what made the film so good because it really didn't have a story or characters.

I'd love Patty to win and for Gal to get a nomination. I think the score, SFX and screenplay are also noteworthy.

5900559-6285809338-58947.gif

"SFX are noteworthy"
Wonder Woman fights a cgi man with a mustache at the end. Star Wars will blow this film out the water with effects and will probably feature better actors and actresses.

Glass Rebel

In a year of great superhero movies, it was the "least good" by the big three (WB/DC, Marvel, Fox) so I personally think it shouldn't even be up for consideration and neither should the others. But if WB wants to campaign for it, sure, go ahead, it can only be a good thing for female-led action movies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't even know if I could get onboard for an effects award, honestly. As garbage as King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was, it has the same GOD MONSTER boss battle fight scene as Wonder Woman but done better.

I can't hate WB for trying though. Shoot your shot, Warner Bros. Shoot your shot.

Slaythe

The photography, screenplay, choreography, and SFX of Man of Steel puts WW to shame though so I wouldn't go that far. And of course the MoS score is the best in DCEU. :p

Just got the 4K version and the movie and it's quite the experience for the senses.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think studios this year, especially considering the increase in voting rolls and the diversified member base, need to take advantage by pushing films hard that they otherwise wouldn't push, and letting the academy take a chance to write its own narrative about being more open.

Fox needs to push Logan for awards.
WB needs to push Wonder Woman
Get Out needs a HUGE push.

I really fucking think it has a legit shot as best original screenplay alongside Logan for Best Supporting. All the companies need to do is push for it.

Why are some of you acting as if it would personally ruin your day to day lives if they tried to get some noms for this film?

Y'all need to take a Xanax and relax. If they get some noms, sweet. If they don't, at least they tried. Don't knock them for that.

Top Bottom