• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

It is interesting to watch the phenomenon.

Step 1: Films is underdog. GAF supports it and hopes it is good.
Step 2: Film turns out to be good. GAF cheers and celebrates.
Step 3: Huge box office hit. GAF jeers at films it beats.

Step 4: GAF realizes it is popular now and that offends their hipster tendencies.
Step 5: Film is now overrated and X, Y, and X indie film is sooo much better.

If by GAF you mean the majority of posters, then "Step 1" did not happen.

SilentRob

Oh ffs. Yes. it was a good "one of those". Pretty much went through the motions, was fun, if entirely forgettable. Falls perfectly in line with movies like Spider-Man Homecoming or Captain America. Even comparing these superhero movies to films like Moonlight, 12 years a slave, No Country For Old Men, Platoon etc. is insane. Let fun, mindless popcorn flicks be fun mindless popcorn flicks.

Kin5290

I've never thought that WW was that good (although it was good, just not as good as the better superhero movies.. Certainly not great, and Oscar worthy. Reasons include thematic problems particularly with the third act twist, some fairly glaring directorial mishaps (specifically having to do with the scene atop that watchtower in the third act, weaknesses in the action and writing, and the ill advised butchery of known historical fact.

The idea that it's Oscar worthy is utterly ridiculous.

Oh ffs. Yes. it was a good "one of those". Pretty much went through the motions, was fun, if entirely forgettable. Falls perfectly in line with movies like Spider-Man Homecoming or Captain America. Even comparing these superhero movies to films like Moonlight, 12 years a slave, No Country For Old Men, Platoon etc. is insane. Let fun, mindless popcorn flicks be fun mindless popcorn flicks.
Are we going to pretend that the Academy didn't crown the masturbatory The Artist as BP in its year now?

I'm not a massive fan of a lot of the oscar bait movies. But fuck me, adults need to stop talking about Logan getting oscar nominations in a desperate bid to vindicate their obsession with a shitty genre they know they should have grown out of by now.

It may be an amazing film for that genre, but it's still only a passable/quite good film in the grand scheme of things.

Dunkirk has a much better shot to win. Not because it is good, but the subject is much more oscar-compatible.

It is good though...much better than wonderwoman for fucks sake.

wazoo

I'm not a massive fan of a lot of the oscar bait movies. But fuck me, adults need to stop talking about Logan getting oscar nominations in a desperate bid to vindicate their obsession with a shitty genre they know they should have grown out of by now.

It may be an amazing film for that genre, but it's still only a passable/quite good film in the grand scheme of things.

It is good though...much better than wonderwoman for fucks sake.

I agree on everything.

I did not say Dunkirk was not good (I did not even see it yet) I said that war movies can win oscars unlike other niche genres.

Mr. Sam

I'm still absolutely baffled by the rapturous reception this film received but to each their own.

What campaign? Is this elections? You try to convince the voters your movie was better?

As per Kevin Smith, you go to the old people's homes where most academy members live and have lunch with them.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'll be legitimately upset if Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart don't get acting nods for Logan. They really deserve them.

(I'm very much prepared to get legitimately upset)

wazoo

What campaign? Is this elections? You try to convince the voters your movie was better?

Oscars is not an objective vote. There is lots of lobbying. Studios spend a lot of movies every year for their favorite.

One basic move is to send tapes of the movie to voters. It is stupid but voters only vote for films they know about.

I mean, it's a better film then The King's Speech/The Artist, both of which have won awards, so I don't see why it's worth pursuing. Not saying it deserves to win, but in terms of pushing film culturally forward it/Logan/Get Out all deserve a push (not a lock though) vs the Circlejerk of Hollywood.

Edit: obviously, they nominate amazing films like No Country for Old Men, Moonlight, etc, but the wankery they generally show to "Man Hollywood is great" is frustrating.

wazoo

I mean, it's a better film then La La Land/The Artist, both of which have won, so I don't see why it's worth pursuing. Not saying it deserves to win, but in terms of pushing film culturally forward it/Logan/Get Out all deserve a push (not a lock though) vs the Circlejerk of Hollywood.

Artist/Lalaland were pushing for the nostalgia vibe. Artist is celebrating movie history (as was Hugo CAbret). Lalaland is nostalgia of singing movies of the 60s.

Those topics go well with the oscars. They are self celebration of the industry.

The other "good" topics are racial and movies dealing with human problems (when they are well done of course).

wazoo

The only "genre" movie in recent times that won was Return of the King, which is an adaptation of one of the only genre books that is also considered as a classic of litterature.

Monocle

Wonder Woman is a notable cut above the rest of the DC-verse, but it doesn't have the craft, cultural resonance, or staying power to merit a Best Picture nom. If any superhero film from this year deserves a Best Picture nod it's Logan.

BTW I'm not sure I'll ever not hold the Academy's snub of George Miller for Best Director against them. He worked his ass off for 15 years, wearing all kinds of creative hats, to bring us Mad Max: Fury Road in all its unadulterated glory.

The only "genre" movie in recent times that won was Return of the King, which is an adaptation of one of the only genre books that is also considered as a classic of litterature.
It also represented a trilogy made with extraordinary craftsmanship and care at every level. From the prop design to the music, LOTR is a masterpiece that takes full advantage of the unique strengths of film as a medium.

Artist/Lalaland were pushing for the nostalgia vibe. Artist is celebrating movie history (as was Hugo CAbret). Lalaland is nostalgia of singing movies of the 60s.

Those topics go well with the oscars. They are self celebration of the industry.
Except the award is for best picture, not best "Circlejerk aid". Like, I can point to the relative cultural points of other films that won Best picture, but The Artist is a film that just.. exists. It doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before or even attempt to be more then what it appears to be.

on one hand it would be really dumb nominating this for anything like Best Picture or Director

but on the other hand if the director of Imitation Game can get nominated for best director then anyone can.

wazoo

Except the award is for best picture, not best "Circlejerk aid". Like, I can point to the relative cultural points of other films that won Best picture, but The Artist is a film that just.. exists. It doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before or even attempt to be more then what it appears to be.

Putting a quality measure to the best picture award would be to forget that they are given by a community of people with biais (they are more influenced than influential).

Add that you can win with 25% of the votes, even less with more than 4 nominates. In fact you can win with a very low number of votes, which push the studios to do these lobbying campaigns because anything can make the vote balance.

Artist is a film that push the ego of the voters telling them that they are a very special industry for a very long time.

ZoddGutts

lol indeed. But hey, who knows it might be possible, The Hurt Locker won Best Picture and Best Director anything is possible.

wazoo

lol indeed. But hey, who knows it might be possible, The Hurt Locker won Best Picture and Best Director anything is possible.

Hurt Locker is not a super hero movie, it is a hero movie, quite a difference.

You have also to notice that you win against the competition. A winning movie one year could have been 2nd or 3rd another year.

wazoo

BTW I'm not sure I'll ever not hold the Academy's snub of George Miller for Best Director against them. He worked his ass off for 15 years, wearing all kinds of creative hats, to bring us Mad Max: Fury Road in all its unadulterated glory.

Fury Road is great.

But your argument is flawed. You do not get best director for reasons outside of what is on screen.

If the last 1/3 of the movie wasn't so terrible and completely different in tone than the rest of the movie, sure.

I do agree that Logan should definitely be considered

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Since we're talking superhero oscars, I still want to see Michael Rooker get a supporting actor nod for Guardians 2.

Wonderwomen is so fucking overrated, watched it the other day and couldn't finish it, genuinely feel sleep. It's generic super hero nonsense, this isn't 2007 anymore. Found batman Vs superman to be more entertaining, yes it is heavily flawed but at least it was quite entertaining.

Way to early to be even seriously discussing awards season. The studios always bring out the awards bait films towards the end of the year to maximize momentum. Any real discussion on what films have legitimate awards aspirations can only be had post TIFF. Of the films released so far only 5 I feel have legitimate aspirations Okja,The Beguiled, The Hero(Sam Elliot is getting a nomination), Logan and Dunkirk.

jtb

Banned
Horrible idea. First two thirds of the film is one of the great superhero films, last act is a fucking train wreck.

JCtheMC

There's no need to campaign if the film is sufficiently impressive by itself. Maybe focus on that a little more, WB.

It's an okay film, it doesn't deserve Oscars but it's a smart move from WB considering all the goodwill the movie has rightfully earned. And it's not like this is depreciating the sanctity of the Oscars or anything because honestly, who cares...

But if it was up to me, I'd nominate it for best score just to hear the WW riff at the ceremony, haha.

1 Oscar for Suicide Squad
maybe a couple noms for WW
DCEU gonna stay winning. I predict James Wan's James Cameron's Aquaman will beat Titanic.

kewlmyc

I like the movie, but no. Maybe best director, but not best film by a mile.

I agree that Logan and Get Out need to get some recognition though. War of the Planet of the Apes as well.

Maybe it's that I have a low opinion of the Academy, they'd probably only nominate one woman for best director and if any it'll be Kathryn Bigelow again for Detroit. But who knows.

This, or Sofia Coppala for The Beguiled, or Dee Rees for Mudbound.

There's no need to campaign if the film is sufficiently impressive by itself. Maybe focus on that a little more, WB.

A lot of films can be forgotten about if not for the campaigning.

wazoo

Maybe it's that I have a low opinion of the Academy, they'd probably only nominate one woman for best director and if any it'll be Kathryn Bigelow again for Detroit. But who knows.

Bigelow learnt the hard way. She started as a geek director (Near Dark, Strange Days, Point Break, USS AL.) and got "respect" by doing movies with political depth (Zero DT, Hurt Locker, Detroit)

She already got "best movie", so this is not they are against giving the best movie to a woman.

HerrPalomar

Neo Member
No. It was a pretty good superhero movie, with a great female main character. To be honest I liked it mainly, because its so refreshing to see a female hero in a movie. For a lot of reasons it was important that this movie became a box office hit. I did my part.

But if you just look at it without its cultural importance, its pretty shitty actually. The first part was great and then it degrades so so fast. The CGI fight in the end was one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The action scenes were boring. The evil guy was ridiculous. It was a shitty superhero movie

I am sorry to all the fans, but in this great movie year (Dunkirk, Get Out, Baby Driver, Logan) this movie deserves not even a nomination

... no.

It was good.

But no.
lmao this. It's absolutely nowhere near Oscar worthy.

It is interesting to watch the phenomenon.

Step 1: Films is underdog. GAF supports it and hopes it is good.
Step 2: Film turns out to be good. GAF cheers and celebrates.
Step 3: Huge box office hit. GAF jeers at films it beats.

Step 4: GAF realizes it is popular now and that offends their hipster tendencies.
Step 5: Film is now overrated and X, Y, and X indie film is sooo much better.
while gaf does fall under the hipster route a ton, no way is this movie anywhere near the best of the best CBM that were never in contention for Best Picture. It literally did nothing that hasn't been done (better) by several other movies

Yes?
No. It was a pretty good superhero movie, with a great female main character. To be honest I liked it mainly, because its so refreshing to see a female hero in a movie. For a lot of reasons it was important that this movie became a box office hit. I did my part.

But if you just look at it without its cultural importance, its pretty shitty actually. The first part was great and then it degrades so so fast. The CGI fight in the end was one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The action scenes were boring. The evil guy was ridiculous. It was a shitty superhero movie

I am sorry to all the fans, but in this great movie year (Dunkirk, Get Out, Baby Driver, Logan) this movie deserves not even a nomination
Heh, convinced this was a serious post till you slipped in Logan.

L O L. The first twenty minutes of the movie is pure exposition delivered while a child actor is doing fucking karate chops while mugging for the camera.

Top Bottom