• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

Oersted

lmao this. It's absolutely nowhere near Oscar worthy.

while gaf does fall under the hipster route a ton, no way is this movie anywhere near the best of the best CBM that were never in contention for Best Picture. It literally did nothing that hasn't been done (better) by several other movies

transformers_3133892b.jpg

¯_(ツ)_/¯

HerrPalomar

Neo Member
Yes?

Heh, convinced this was a serious post till you slipped in Logan.

Of the ones I posted it has the lowest chances. But as somebody who really dislikes superhero movies. That movie didn't feel to be maximised for pure box office sucess. It had heart and it had a good story to tell. I did not see any glaring errors like in Wonder Woman (the end especially).

hiredhand

People are seriously overestimating the film's changes at the Oscars in this thread. I can maybe see WW getting some techinical nominations (sound categories, visual effects, costume design) but it doesn't (and shoudn't) stand a change in the major categories.

There has already been several better reviewed blockbuster/crowdpleaser type films this year (Get Out, War of the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Logan Lucky).

There has even been a stronger film with a female director (Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit).

Fox should push Logan

But no, WW was a good movie but not Best Picture good

... no.

It was good.

But no.
Was Crash Best Picture good? The Greatest Show on Earth was Best Picture good? Best Picture doesn't mean anything at this point. I've seen worst movies getting nominated and even winning, so why not? Why mock a highly reviewed film just for trying?

I mean, Wonder Woman has equal reviews to The Revenant and that shit dominated a year ago.

black070

People are seriously overestimating the film's changes at the Oscars in this thread. I can maybe see WW getting some techinical nominations (sound categories, visual effects, costume design) but it doesn't (and shoudn't) stand a change in the major categories.

There has already been several better reviewed blockbuster/crowdpleaser type films this year (Get Out, War of the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Logan Lucky).

There has even been a stronger film with a female director (Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit).

I really hope this gets some recognition.

Part of me finds this whole campaign for superhero films landing Oscars laughable, and the other part really wants Fox to do a similar push with Logan.

I don't think no Superhero movie could or should be nominated, even if it'd be a bit weird.

But Wonderwoman is just flat out not original, bold, and powerful enough to be nominated.

It's a really good traditional Supehero movie. But I do expect more of this to happen. Superhero movies have become an indisputable staple now. The shame of the genre is being washed away.

This is so silly. If any super hero movie ever deserved a best pic nomination, it was the Dark Knight. And it only deserved a nomination in the way Avatar got nominated in 2009 when they expanded the number of best picture nominations to include 'popular' movies.

But Wonder Woman, come on now.

Was Crash Best Picture good? The Greatest Show on Earth was Best Picture good? Best Picture doesn't mean anything at this point. I've seen worst movies getting nominated and even winning, so why not? Why mock a highly reviewed film just for trying?

I mean, Wonder Woman has equal reviews to The Revenant and that shit dominated a year ago.

By "equal reviews" do you mean rotten tomato score? Lol

Also, just because they've had shit films in the running doesn't mean they should just go "fuck it" and start putting in any decently reviewed movie for the hell of it.

Moppeh

Banned
Eh, why not I guess.

What else has been so good that Wonder Woman shouldn't be considered for nomination?

It's only July, so it's hard to say. We'll have a better sense of how it stands in the fall when we are closer to awards season.

But as someone who greatly enjoyed Wonder Woman, I don't consider it great enough to get any major wins.

People seem to keep confusing "The studio should run a political campaign to get their film in contention" with "would you personally vote for it"

People seem to also be under the impression that the same studio picks all the Oscar nominations or something, which is weird considering the board's normal discussions.

Also the fact everyone seems to believe genre fare should only be allowed one slot, and one slot only, speaks to why others are suggesting more campaigns by more studios to have more genre fare considered would be a good thing.

Because right now people are basically arguing against Wonder Woman getting a push because they feel the sole bone to be thrown should go somewhere else, instead of wondering why we gotta blindly accept that there's only ever the one annual bone, and feeding into that broken conventional wisdom.

Penguin

I can see the Academy putting it into consideration.

Ratings have been down. Throwing such a tantalizing pick into the mix will get some outside attention

Oersted

This is so silly. If any super hero movie ever deserved a best pic nomination, it was the Dark Knight. And it only deserved a nomination in the way Avatar got nominated in 2009 when they expanded the number of best picture nominations to include 'popular' movies.

But Wonder Woman, come on now.

112408_darkknightfyc.jpg

tumblr_meaxorDvfK1qcb487o1_500.jpg

Owari

Crash and The Greatest Show on Earth were both much better films than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was a good movie, and looks especially good next to practically the entire DCU, but it's not even close to movies that make people feel actual emotions. At the end of the day it's still a superhero movie, and there was a better one that came out that actually did provide the feels. (Logan).

WB would be better off focusing on making sure the rest of the DCU stays at that Wonder Woman level, rather than getting success once in a lightning in a bottle situation and immediately pushing for Best Picture.

Oersted

Crash and The Greatest Show on Earth were both much better films than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was a good movie, and looks especially good next to practically the entire DCU, but it's not even close to movies that make people feel actual emotions. At the end of the day it's still a superhero movie, and there was a better one that came out that actually did provide the feels. (Logan).

WB would be better off focusing on making sure the rest of the DCU stays at that Wonder Woman level, rather than getting success once in a lightning in a bottle situation and immediately pushing for Best Picture.

https://hiddenremote.com/2013/12/16/man-of-steel-academy-awards-best-picture/

Afrocious

I don't think WW, Logan, or Get Out stand out as Best Picture winners unless I'm missing something.

I'm actually surprised WW is even being mentioned as such.

Penguin

I don't think WW, Logan, or Get Out stand out as Best Picture winners unless I'm missing something.

I'm actually surprised WW is even being mentioned as such.
I don't think Warner expects it to win, but to even be in the conversation helps them and the film

Loved the movie, it's a terrific accomplishment in many ways. I wouldn't oppose it getting a nomination at all, it's much better than the yearly lower tier nominees (like Lion or Hidden Figures last year). Having it or Logan being nominated would be great for the awards.

Loved the movie, it's a terrific accomplishment in many ways. I wouldn't oppose it getting a nomination at all, it's much better than the yearly lower tier nominees (like Lion or Hidden Figures last year). Having it or Logan being nominated would be great for the awards.

Yes, let's remove the well received Indian and Black women biopics for a White girl superhero flick.

More White people please.

Kin5290

I think Patty deserves a Best Director nod, but if any superhero movie gets an Oscar nomination, it should be Logan.
I completely disagree. No sequence in the movie showed the kind of quality that would merit a Best Director nom. Turning in a reasonably competent product is not awards worthy.

Wonder Woman was a good movie, and looks especially good next to practically the entire DCU, but it's not even close to movies that make people feel actual emotions.

Hundreds of news stories and think pieces covering the visceral emotional responses women had to Wonder Woman, literally crying in theatres, yet somehow those feelings women experienced during this film aren't real to you?

Hundreds of news stories and think pieces covering the visceral emotional responses women had to Wonder Woman, literally crying in theatres, yet somehow those feelings women experienced during this film aren't real to you?

hundreds of thousands of women cried during the twilight movies.
those feelings are real but that doesn't make the movie any better.

Blader

Wonder Woman is not what I would think of as Best Picture material, but plenty of worse films have won it, so it's a moot point.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

I like that there is some Universe in which their marketing department could make the DCEU better by not marketing their prior movies and instead like, making the writing and direction on Justice league better or something?

If Wonder Woman came out last year you could literally nominate it and not remove any movie. Nice try though.

it has to get enough votes, hence why no other film was nominated for the 10th spot.

However if I misunderstood your first post, then my bad.

I was thinking you were saying either or, instead of in addition to.

Top Bottom