• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

it has to get enough votes, hence why no other film was nominated for the 10th spot.

However if I misunderstood your first post, then my bad.

I was thinking you were saying either or, instead of in addition to.

It was in addition to, like there are 10 possible spots then why not use them lol. I admit my example wasn't ideal, but in the usual year you have stuff like Brooklyn and Bridge of Spies being nominated, or American Sniper and The Theory of Everything in the year before. Wonder Woman is absolutely better than all of those, so why not?

Winning though won't happen, but just a nomination would be awesome.

It was in addition to, like there are 10 possible spots then why not use them lol. I admit my example wasn't ideal, but in the usual year you have stuff like Brooklyn and Bridge of Spies being nominated, or American Sniper and The Theory of Everything in the year before. Wonder Woman is absolutely better than all of those, so why not?

You're gonna have to make a convincing argument as to why/how Wonder Woman is a better made film than Brooklyn or Bridge of Spies.

(let's throw in Hidden Figures as well, since you called that out earlier)

I'm not seeing that at all.

Well you had Mad Max Fury Road in 2016 and Arrival in 2017, which for the Oscars are genre films that usually go unrecognized in the Best Picture race in the past couple of decades outside of Lord of the Rings and Avatar.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Get Out should genuinely be in contention

I'm thinking it'll get Best Original Screenplay. It's still early in the year, but I don't see anything striking a chord in the same way.

... no.

It was good.

But no.

This.

I get that it's a decent superhero movie with a heroine as the lead and with a female director. And it's good, but c'mon. This is good when compared to other superhero movies. That's different--a lot different--than "this is a good movie."

Hell, Underworld: Blood Wars has a heroine as the lead with a female director and absolutely has a couple of excellent scenes that are better than those in WW. Maybe Anna Foerster should get a Best Director nod.

You're gonna have to make a convincing argument as to why/how Wonder Woman is a better made film than Brooklyn or Bridge of Spies.

Not sure I can make a convincing argument, but I can share my opinions on these movies. I thought Bridge of Spies felt an after school special version of the Cold War where it felt too light for its own good, like there wasn't any danger whatsoever. Yeah there's that wall thing he sees from the train, but even that felt too safe. I don't know, it feels like a movie you could take your whole family to see and then have conversations with your 5 year old kid about it. The theme didn't match the tone and Tom Hanks looked tired and like he was dying to end it as soon as possible so he could go home and take a shit and watch Monday Night Football shouting America, fuck yeah! Not the character, the actor.

Brooklyn was thoroughly uninteresting and Emory Cohen is a terrible actor or at least he was in the movie. Like I'm partly italian and didn't even feel sorry for him, bland as fuck Domhnall Gleeson was able to out-act him so holy shit that was not a job well done. I thought it was boring as fuck and the only good thing about it was Saoirse Ronan, and even then that was the year my waifu Brie Larson won best actress on a much better movie so if Saoirse was awarded I would have been pissed off.

Hidden Figures was okay, but it worked better as a thinking piece than as a movie. Like I wouldn't oppose if I was watching a documentary, because the story of these women felt more interesting than what was actually the movie itself.

Well you had Mad Max Fury Road in 2016 and Arrival in 2017, which for the Oscars are genre films that usually go unrecognized in the Best Picture race in the past couple of decades outside of Lord of the Rings and Avatar.

Mad Max should have won too. You also had Gravity some years back and yeah apparently every year the academy choses an action/sci-fi movie to nominate. Wonder Woman being the first CBM nominated for best picture would be messianic though and it would also be well deserved when you consider that fucking Brooklyn got a nomination.

CloudWolf

Was Crash Best Picture good? The Greatest Show on Earth was Best Picture good? Best Picture doesn't mean anything at this point. I've seen worst movies getting nominated and even winning, so why not? Why mock a highly reviewed film just for trying?

I mean, Wonder Woman has equal reviews to The Revenant and that shit dominated a year ago.
Wonder Woman did not get equal reviews to The Revenant. RottenTomatoes percentage is not a score.

EDIT: Huh, it did... I could've sworn The Revenant got higher scores, ignore me.

I don't know, it feels like a movie you could take your whole family to see and then have conversations with your 5 year old kid about it. The theme didn't match the tone

Not that I think there's anything actually wrong with the former sentence, but I don't even understand the latter sentence. What does that mean?

Are you judging the film for not doing what it was trying to do correctly, or are you judging it because you thought it needed to be something else completely different from what it actually was?

Bridge of Spies was trying to be a character study first and foremost. I thought it succeeded at presenting itself as that. I didn't feel any real loss because it wasn't super-tense at all times. The story itself didn't seem to suggest it needed that beyond the scenarios it presented the way they presented them.

The weird Tom Hanks fan-fiction there at the end of your review... I dunno man.

Brooklyn was thoroughly uninteresting and Emory Cohen is a terrible actor or at least he was in the movie. Like I'm partly italian and didn't even feel sorry for him

I'm partly Italian too and I don't get why I should feel sorry for him just because his character and mine share a heritage. The movie wasn't asking you to feel sorry for him because of that. I don't get this complaint.

I also think he did a great job in that role.

But I do thank you for trying to explain your opinions on those films. I mean, I obviously disagree with 'em pretty strongly but at least there's more context for what you're saying now. Thanks for that.

Timeaisis

Sure, I guess. I mean I don't think it deserves it, but if that's what WB wants to do, go ahead.

If a superhero movie had to win an oscar, Logan is the clear choice, at least to me.

Oscar? hahaha

Just because its your first good movie since Man Of Steel doesnt make Oscar material.

Why not? It's a good female-led superhero movie that made a lot of money at the box office when the idea was that wouldn't happen. There's, like, 2 super hero movies this year that can be exploited: Wonder Woman and Logan.

Why not? It's a good female-led superhero movie that made a lot of money at the box office when the idea was that wouldn't happen. There's, like, 2 super hero movies this year that can be exploited: Wonder Woman and Logan.

And nothing more.

If anyone needs to do a campaign its Logan.

But cant blame WB. They are Oscar hungry after the Oscar winning movie Suicide Squad.

GhaleonEB

People seem to keep confusing "The studio should run a political campaign to get their film in contention" with "would you personally vote for it"

People seem to also be under the impression that the same studio picks all the Oscar nominations or something, which is weird considering the board's normal discussions.

Also the fact everyone seems to believe genre fare should only be allowed one slot, and one slot only, speaks to why others are suggesting more campaigns by more studios to have more genre fare considered would be a good thing.

Because right now people are basically arguing against Wonder Woman getting a push because they feel the sole bone to be thrown should go somewhere else, instead of wondering why we gotta blindly accept that there's only ever the one annual bone, and feeding into that broken conventional wisdom.

All of this, plus: is it really so odd that a studio is doing an Oscar campaign for a film that was highly praised by critics and audiences and was a big hit. This as unusual as the sun coming up.

Wonder Woman for best picture? Best Director?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I really enjoyed it after the first 40 minutes or so, but seriously, get the fuck out of here.

If we are talking about super hero movies, maybe someone could make an argument for Hugh Jackman for best actor, but even Logan which is miles beyond Wonder Woman doesn't deserve nominations for best picture or director.

Not that I think there's anything actually wrong with the former sentence, but I don't even understand the latter sentence. What does that mean?

Are you judging the film for not doing what it was trying to do correctly, or are you judging it because you thought it needed to be something else completely different from what it actually was?

Bridge of Spies was trying to be a character study first and foremost. I thought it succeeded at presenting itself as that. I didn't feel any real loss because it wasn't super-tense at all times. The story itself didn't seem to suggest it needed that beyond the scenarios it presented the way they presented them.

The weird Tom Hanks fan-fiction there at the end of your review... I dunno man.

The tone of the movie was too light for what the movie was about. It's a kind of disconnect I feel with some blockbuster movies like Jurassic Park (and World) where you have dinosaurs trying to fucking eat you and yet it almost feels like a comedy. It's a family movie and there's nothing wrong with that but the immersion gets screwed for me because there is no somber undertones to make you feel like bad shit could happen. Some Spielberg movies absolutely nail the tone, like Minority Report and Schindler's List, but Bridge of Spies just felt off to me.

My dad loved it and he said something like that about being a character study. Maybe I need to watch it again. And Tom Hanks gave me that vibe for a reason I know I won't ever be able to explain lol.

I'm partly Italian too and I don't get why I should feel sorry for him just because his character and mine share a heritage. The movie wasn't asking you to feel sorry for him because of that. I don't get this complaint.

I also think he did a great job in that role.

But I do thank you for trying to explain your opinions on those films. I mean, I obviously disagree with 'em pretty strongly but at least there's more context for what you're saying now. Thanks for that.

I don't know man, poor Tony is such a good guy (at least I remember him being one) and he has a hard time in the movie for circumstances way out of his control. I know I should feel bad for Ronan's character being conflicted between her old life and her new one and being in two places without ever being in one, but that felt a bit too heavy handed IMO and I felt she was too aloof.

And thank you for disagreeing politely. Movies are usually one thing we're too passionate about and sometimes it gets pretty weirdly tense in these discussions lol. I don't think that these movies are bad overall, but they are not much better than Wonder Woman to the point where thinking about WW being nominated is such an out there proposition. I think it's definitely doable.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm just being old and crotchety about this, but award season is all these smaller movies have. There are films people only really take notice of because they get nominated. Wonder Woman exceeded expectations critically and commercially. I'd just hate to see something like Moonlight get pushed out the limelight for popcorn munchers. Wonder Woman winning best picture is a nice feather in Warner Bros hat, but it doesn't really do much for anyone involved beyond that. For a smaller film, it can literally make the career for the cast, writer, and director.

I'm not saying Warner Bros shouldn't go for it, it's their money. I'd just be personally disappointed to see smaller productions get muscled out entirely.

My dad loved it and he said something like that about being a character study. Maybe I need to watch it again. And Tom Hanks gave me that vibe for a reason I know I won't ever be able to explain lol.

Yeah, maybe a revisit might spotlight some shit your dad caught that you missed the first time. Or it could just reinforce your initial read!

And thank you for disagreeing politely.

Not a problem! And thank you for taking the time to explain your opinion when I asked in the first place.

Oersted

Wonder Woman was only really good compared to the other recent DC movies. It wasn't good, good.

Oscar? hahaha

Just because its your first good movie since Man Of Steel doesnt make Oscar material.

Wonder Woman for best picture? Best Director?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I really enjoyed it after the first 40 minutes or so, but seriously, get the fuck out of here.

If we are talking about super hero movies, maybe someone could make an argument for Hugh Jackman for best actor, but even Logan which is miles beyond Wonder Woman doesn't deserve nominations for best picture or director.

I mean, it was good, but, y'know. It wasn't Best Picture good.

morgan freeman good luck .gif

transformers_3133892b.jpg

¯_(ツ)_/¯

ReiGun

DC actually making a good movie caused them to go completely overboard
I'd say the only thing overboard is the reaction to this news.

We all know how silly and how little the Oscars matter for anyone not in Hollywood. Let them campaign for it. It's not a big deal.

I think if Fox spends money and time trying to frame a narrative in multiple press outlets and with direct attempts to convince academy members through flyers/screeners/interviews & such - they might get close. Who knows. The industry loves that dude, and there's a sense that they'd like to reward him if they could.

But I also don't know that 2017 is going to let that happen all that easily, since the year is pretty goddamned packed with good movies and performances already. Fox would have to spend a fair amount of cash.

That said - considering Logan's critical reception, its box-office, and the goodwill to both Jackman and Stewart, they might be able to land a nomination for one of them, definitely.

Azzanadra

I feel like Wonder Woman is getting undue hype in comparison to other DCEU movies, on its own its just an average, decent movie. Nothing to write home about really.

TyrantII

Don't see what's so shocking about them pushing for Patty to get Best Director honestly.

She took material that no one would touch for decades and had no idea what to do with and created the summers biggest blockbuster.

I'd say she earned a shot at best director.

Beat picture is a misfire. It's good, but I don't see it as best picture good.

J_Viper

Bridge of Spies has that sappy ass Hallmark Channel music

That scene at the end where the old lady looks at Tom Hanks on the train with approval was really embarrassing

It's like 40 minutes too long

That's all I got

She took material that no one would touch for decades and had no idea what to do with and created the summers biggest blockbuster.

Patty Jenkins has no shot at Best Director.

Particularity when they're other women with more important critically acclaimed films in contention including Katheryn Bigelow's Detroit.

HotHamBoy

Logan had a worse third act. Can yall stop hyping that movie up

Literally impossible.

You are conflating success with merit.

The film is a choppy mess with awful action sequences and a fuck-all terrible 3rd act.

Is it a bad movie? No. But it's definitely not a great movie.

yuoke

Banned
Best picture? It was at best on the level of the better mcu movies, but even then its ending makes it worse than at least a decent amouny of those. If WW is best picture tier, winter soldier absolutely should have been nominated.

Top Bottom