• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Warner Bros. Plans Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture

It is interesting to watch the phenomenon.

Step 1: Films is underdog. GAF supports it and hopes it is good.
Step 2: Film turns out to be good. GAF cheers and celebrates.
Step 3: Huge box office hit. GAF jeers at films it beats.

Step 4: GAF realizes it is popular now and that offends their hipster tendencies.
Step 5: Film is now overrated and X, Y, and X indie film is sooo much better.

Plus in this case, decades of asking for WB to make a Wonder Woman movie. In the lead up there were arguments that WB wasn't supporting Wonder Woman enough and it'd be a financial disappointment. Now WB is throwing their weight behind the project and its director and it's "whoa that's too much support!"

Also, be it Wonder Woman or Logan getting nominated for best picture, it ultimately removes a stigma of comic movies and it's a boon for Marvel, DC, Image, whatever.

All that said, I think it's a slim chance any mainline DC or Marvel movie is nominated much less wins. I could see a Vertigo project. A History of Violence should've had more nominations in 2006.

Baki

Not even close.

Not even best comic-book movie this year. That was Logan....And the difference isn't even close.

Good / solid movie but not groundbreaking.

El Topo

Hey, why not? I loved the movie, I wouldn't mind if it at least managed to get a nomination. Really happy it did so well at the box office.

Not even close.

Not even best comic-book movie this year. That was Logan....And the difference isn't even close.

Good / solid movie but not groundbreaking.

A lot of people measured WW by a different criteria than one would normally do for this type of movie.

- Hero with a strong moral compass
- No angst or doubt (except at a minor point in the movie where DIana was mistakenly led to doubt her beliefs), and that got resolved very well
- Female superhero (very unrepresented)
- Thoroughly enjoyable and engaging cast of characters
- Excellent co-star chemistry with Pine

That doesn't make your opinion any less valid, so please don't think I am trying to make it so But different people have different attachments to movies and criteria for liking or disliking it.

Wonder Woman is pretty unique and stands out for a lot of good reasons. People responded in a very positive way. The movie has enjoyed a fairly outstanding set of legs with surprisingly low drops, week over week.

People are going back to see it repeatedly.

In the end, one can't ignore the evidence at hand that this movie has struck a positive nerve in many, and for those same many this movie IS the best movie they've seen all year.

There are a lot of good reasons for WB to make the push for an award nod, even if unsuccessful. If they go ahead with it, they will be saying they are proud of what this movie has achieved and the statement that it has made. And that's a good thing.

orochi91

Logan had a worse third act. Can yall stop hyping that movie up
Amen!

For me, it all went to shit when those children came into the picture.

All that screaming and running in forest during that final act, exacerbated by that terrible action choreography, was a miserable experience. That nonsensical cowboy speech at the end, butchered due to the actress's accent, was the icing on the cake.

Logan was absolutely gold for 80% of It's runtime, but that final ~15 minutes really soured my overall viewing experience.

If any superhero film deserves Oscar recognition, it ought to be Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2; it was brilliant all throughout, especially on a technical level.

jrush64

Banned
It is interesting to watch the phenomenon.

Step 1: Films is underdog. GAF supports it and hopes it is good.
Step 2: Film turns out to be good. GAF cheers and celebrates.
Step 3: Huge box office hit. GAF jeers at films it beats.

Step 4: GAF realizes it is popular now and that offends their hipster tendencies.
Step 5: Film is now overrated and X, Y, and X indie film is sooo much better.

Hahaha. Oh my God this is so true. I'm honestly amused by some of the comments.

HoodWinked

i remember around the same time last year deadpool was trying to get nominated as well.

if that didnt doesn't seem just for this movie to

ReiGun

Hahaha. Oh my God this is so true. I'm honestly amused by some of the comments.

And granted it's not all the same posters in step 2 and step 4. But it is weird how the conversation on popular things always seems to shift around these parts, and change the tone of threads with it. It's like watching that one Statler and Waldorf bit play out over and over ad infinitum.

MisterHero

Too bad electric cello came out in 2016, it's not an original song.

I can see a Best Production Design nom maybe.

It'd be nice if Jean-Luc Picard got a nod though

Monocle

Fury Road is great.

But your argument is flawed. You do not get best director for reasons outside of what is on screen.
Luckily, Fury Road is one of the top five greatest action films ever, and no small part of its excellence is George Miller's direction.

Falchion

The fact that studios have to launch campaigns to get their movies nominated for these awards should tell you everything you need to know about how arbitrary they are.

Top Bottom