• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VentureBeat] PlayStation’s strength is that it can do it all

FrankWza

Not sure what PlayStation is doing that other platforms aren't doing as well and in many cases others are doing much, much more. Only look to features like backwards compatibility, FPS boost, and numerous other improvements to games I already purchased on other platforms for no additional fee shows how Sony could be doing much more for their customers. The fact Sony is trying to have some sort of answer to Game pass already shows they see it as something worth responding to.

No matter how much Sony fans attack the service they can't prove one critical point. That it is a bad deal for gamers, you know the people who all of these companies should be catering to. Sony also making moves to increase the costs of normal titles and are even selling Horizon Forbidden West for $70 on PS5 despite selling the PS4 version for $60 that includes the PS5 version. Not really seeing the pro-gamer move there. Hiding the cheaper option is a nice touch.

You can also add in things like PS4 controllers working remotely on PS5 but not locally again not really a plus for gamers. Sony only digital games stores aren't beneficial to gamers either. Lots of their recent moves have really only benefitted Sony not gamers so it's so odd to see people call out services like Game pass a service that clearly benefits gamers. That service is also complimentary to normal game purchases which is the same as any other platform holder.

PlayStation has some good games but certainly isn't offering the best value to gamers and that should be the bottom line. Forget copying Game pass. Why not offer better options for their core fan base (better backwards compatibility, lower prices for games, no fees for upgrades, digital games from normal brick and mortar stores, PS4 controller support for PS5 games on PS5 and so on). Do those things and then we can talk about how PlayStation can do it all.
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by NBC

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How in the hell do the “platform holders” just invent ways to make this work? What a dumb ass attitude. I would absolutely "resist the change" because the change isn't going to work for business. Companies generally don't exist to lose money. While Microsoft can do it because the Xbox division is basically subsidized by the divisions that make money, and always have been, Sony and Nintendo cannot afford that because they are not trillion dollar behemoths.

Sony has already said the subscription model doesn’t work for the kinds of games they make. We know MS loses money on Game Pass. But you think now you are owed cheap games? Your attitude is ... “not my problem.” So you want games at a price that’s WAY below what they cost to make, and you’re proud of that fact. Brilliant. Truly a sharp mind you have there.

Let me ask you this. Do you expect people to pay you for your work? I assume yes. I bet there is even a chance you think you are underpaid. But for some reason you think it’s your right, and Microsoft’s/Sony’s obligation, to have a service they subsidize so you don’t have to pay for your hobby. What a selfish and short sighted perspective. I don't see how you and similarly minded people don't see how this doesn't work out.

I happily pay full price for games, because I like supporting the creators. Just as I expect people who want me to work for them to pay me well, because I’ve worked hard to have rare and high end skills. It's called understanding value and respecting other people's labor. But no, you think "just give it all to me for a couple bucks." I mean, WTF.

But at the very least, we are entering the next phase of this, which of course I've been calling for years. And that phase is people being proud of not paying. I said this model is dangerous because it devalues software. I, and many others, were told we were crazy and got the typical "laugh" responses by the small core gang because that "just wouldn't happen" (much like @DarkMage619 did above, because he has no argument to respond with, and no leg to stand on, so he tries to rely on derision as a rhetorical defense. But he knows I'm right. He knows it). And lo and behold, look at the proud language being used by people saying no way do they want to pay anymore. But at the same time people want more, while demanding they pay less. But at least they are being open about it.

I don't know where this goes at this point, but people are at least drawing their line in the sand. Good luck trying to tell a business you don't want to pay for product though, while they need to figure out how to make it profitable. And then when they pack it all in you'll be standing there whining "but muh video games!" :rolleyes:

We will be living in a future where MS either will need to make less AAA games that cost over $100 million a piece or...................they get their GamePass subscription numbers over 100 million. I don't think there can be any middle ground here.

SSfox

Good points, but I was mostly talking about Sony from a first party perspective. I would like to see Sony get a few more first party Japanese developers and back them with a bigger budget and marketing.

I guess when Sony says Japan is still very important to them, yet to my knowledge they don’t invest into any major Japanese games or studios, but rely on timed third party games that seems strange to me. Like you said though, Sony knows they typically get majority of the Japanese third games anyway, so they may not see building Japanese first parties as being a top priority or worth investing into because of third parties.
Thank-You-Gif-the-Office-Steve-Carell.gif

John Wick

That's not how accounting works. Gamepass didn't buy Zenimax and AB.

You trust people who don't know anything and are just speculating over the CEO of Microsoft gaming, who knows the exact numbers and is legally liable if he lies to investors. That's called coping

No, it's not. "Common sense" isn't an argument anyway.

Why would they? They don't share profits of any of their subdivisions, even the extremely profitable ones like Office and Azure.

While what you say is true, it has nothing to do with Gamepass.
This post is pure comedy gold. Coping? No one from MS has ever claimed GP is profitable. Clearly you have a hard time understanding sustainable and profitable. With the amount of money MS have they can sustain gamepass that is correct.
Has the Xbox division ever been profitable?
Clearly you know nothing about the shit that comes out of the mouth of CEO's? They can't lie? Says who?

John Wick

Xbox fanatics act like you're insulting a family member when you bring up Gamespass current profitability. People are going to discuss its pros and cons, regardless of how much they want to deflect any criticism.
The best is when they boast how much profit MS made as though it's personally going into their bank account. It's pathetic and sad.

I mean...we're still mid February and so far:

PC: God of War has sold over 2M copies
PS consoles: Horizon Forbidden West was just released and had amazing reviews. Sales numbers to follow.
Movies: Uncharted just hit #1 in the world and has surpassed 130M on ticket sales after its first weekend of its debut WW.

There's no stopping this train and if this isn't "having it all" i don't know what is. And i repeat...we're still mid February. Gran Turismo is coming next month to slap us on the face with another amazing game. (i hope 👀 )

Zeroing

Banned
Good points, but I was mostly talking about Sony from a first party perspective. I would like to see Sony get a few more first party Japanese developers and back them with a bigger budget and marketing.

I guess when Sony says Japan is still very important to them, yet to my knowledge they don’t invest into any major Japanese games or studios, but rely on timed third party games that seems strange to me. Like you said though, Sony knows they typically get majority of the Japanese third games anyway, so they may not see building Japanese first parties as being a top priority or worth investing into because of third parties.

I told this before… Sony will buy studios whom they had a very close relationship on PS4 generation! Bluepoint… housemarque… Bungie…

Top of my head is team ninja whom are in a 3 game deal with Sony! Who knows….

Buggy Loop

mad men marketing GIF
jon hamm marketing GIF

This reads like an infomercial

Where is PlayStation from PSX and PS2 era? Getting fed up of Hollywood immersive cinematic experiences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom