• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VERGE:Phil Spencer told Sony back in January that Microsoft would keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for “several years” after current deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's a 70 billion dollar deal with some of gaming's most popular franchises, this made every news outlet, affected stock prices etc.

This isn't some hidden, niche acquisition dude
I think you may be overestimating the typical CoD player.

GHG

Gold Member
Neat, so I can play ff7r2 at release for these various avenues outside of playstation right?

Probably not but if the first game is anything to go by it will arrive on PC shortly after, not never.

But I'm sure you personally have nothing to worry about considering your previous post in this thread right 😉?

Some poster above you sounds like he already came

Diazzf9.jpg

Jormatar

What a good guy for promising something like this. I'm sure they will keep bringing the game to PlayStation even when they become the dominant console manufactor and not PlayStation or Nintendo.

Seems like they knew when the deal was signed that PlayStation could have a case against taking something as precious as Call of Duty away from their ecosystem which would also raise the eyebrows of regulators.

People miss the whole point….

The issue isn’t that call of duty was going to be exclusive. It’s that the game will be in game pass for Xbox/Game pass PC but PS players will have to pay full price.

That’s the whole reason Sony is trying to block this deal because they know once Call of Duty gets into game pass every year that will be a big reason people will jump ship to Xbox.

Last edited:
Probably not but if the first game is anything to go by it will arrive on PC shortly after, not never.

But I'm sure you personally have nothing to worry about considering your previous post in this thread right 😉?
Not anymore, but it was certainly frustrating while trying to land a ps5, and frankly I'd prefer it on Xbox as I prefer the controller and it'd be cheaper, depending on how much rolls over from your progress on the first game.

Either way, the multiple avenue argument falls pretty short as it currently stands for Sony.

GHG

Gold Member
Not anymore, but it was certainly frustrating while trying to land a ps5, and frankly I'd prefer it on Xbox as I prefer the controller and it'd be cheaper, depending on how much rolls over from your progress on the first game.

Either way, the multiple avenue argument falls pretty short as it currently stands for Sony.

I'm sure your hands will manage.

It really doesn't fall short. We get reminded all the time of how their games will be day and date on PC soon in some unknown parallel universe that not everyone can see. Funny how it's now convenient to downplay and disregard their investment and involvement in the PC space.

You guys really want cod exclusive huh

No, I prefer it be multi-platform and on game pass day one so Microsoft and Xbox make as much money as possible even from Playstation gamers, so that can go back into producing more awesome games and continuing to build their first party game operation. Microsoft, however, do not appear to be fully committing to Call of Duty on PlayStation forever. That's not my view, I'm going from the language Microsoft and Phil are using. It seems to me they are putting Sony into new kind of agreement of sorts that Sony can choose to take or leave it.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Microsoft chooses to take the existing agreement Sony already regularly pays Activision for marketing rights and instead converts it into an agreement to have Call of Duty on Playstation period. Sony, from a legal standpoint, would have already been paying that same money to Activision for years, but this time they would be dealing with a new owner who won't give them marketing rights, but is having them pay to keep receiving Call of Duty on their platform. Something Microsoft would be legally allowed to do very easily.

I'm sure your hands will manage.

It really doesn't fall short. We get reminded all the time of how their games will be day and date on PC soon in some unknown parallel universe that not everyone can see. Funny how it's now convenient to downplay and disregard their investment and involvement in the PC space.
I wasn't trying to downplay it, it's great that they're expanding pc efforts, but making a third party title a timed exclusive from any other avenue blows.

Sucks when Sony does it, sucks when Microsoft does it (next gen like a dragon comes immediately to mind)

No, I prefer it be multi-platform and on game pass day one so Microsoft and Xbox make as much money as possible even from Playstation gamers, so that can go back into producing more awesome games and continuing to build their first party game operation. Microsoft, however, do not appear to be fully committing to Call of Duty on PlayStation forever. That's not my view, I'm going from the language Microsoft and Phil are using. It seems to me they are putting Sony into new kind of agreement of sorts that Sony can choose to take or leave it.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Microsoft chooses to take the existing agreement Sony already regularly pays Activision for marketing rights and instead converts it into an agreement to have Call of Duty on Playstation period. Sony, from a legal standpoint, would have already been paying that same money to Activision for years, but this time they would be dealing with a new owner who won't give them marketing rights, but is having them pay to keep receiving Call of Duty on their platform. Something Microsoft would be legally allowed to do very easily.

So, Microsoft isn't actually promising to keep releasing COD on PS to regulators, they're just forcing Sony to pay for it.

That's a level of boldness I rarely ever see from Phil

GHG

Gold Member
I wasn't trying to downplay it, it's great that they're expanding pc efforts, but making a third party title a timed exclusive from any other avenue blows.

Sucks when Sony does it, sucks when Microsoft does it (next gen like a dragon comes immediately to mind)

Third party timed exclusives tend to also come to PC regardless of the console platform they are exclusive to. The only time there tends to be an undefined delay is when there's a Japanese developer/publisher involved for whatever reason (in particular Square Enix). It's also happened with Bravery Default 2 and Octopath Traveller.

Sony can now call on a lot of decent talent in that space, including Bungie, along with ex-COD devs. Whatever happens, it’ll certainly be interesting to see how it pans out. Who’d have thought Halo would be where it is now?

Halo Infinite smoked everything in its release window last year. It's an amazing game. It's currently top 2 on Game Pass, and #17 on Xbox across 100 million monthly active users. And the moment a new Campaign drops the hype starts right back up again. Halo is still a very big deal after all these years. Don't let 343i taking their time with incorporating features making sure they're right for release - and taking their time to build additional MP content - fool you.

Darsxx82

For me, the most remarkable thing is that all the discussion focuses on COD and Phil only refers to that specific franchise and not to others .....

Every time I have more clear that MS only intends to give in and commit "day one and same version on PlayStation" only with COD but not with the rest (many) ATV-BLZ franchises.

I have more and more clear that new IPs and other originals are going to be either Xbox exclusives, or temporary exclusives or "better on Xbox and Gamepass day one".

From my point of view, MS and Xbox have more to gain from those other franchises (Diablo, Crash, WOW, etc, etc...) and the human power of ACT-Blz Studios (double XBGStudios and Bethe-Zenimaxsd in human staff) that in the exclusivity or not of COD.

jm89

Halo Infinite smoked everything in its release window last year. It's an amazing game. It's currently top 2 on Game Pass, and #17 on Xbox across 100 million monthly active users. And the moment a new Campaign drops the hype starts right back up again. Halo is still a very big deal after all these years. Don't let 343i taking their time with incorporating features making sure they're right for release - and taking their time to build additional MP content - fool you.
There is a level fanboyism we all exhibit lets be honest. But this right here is just something else man, like even phil wouldn't go this far and the man is head of xbox.

graywolf323

Gold Member
For me, the most remarkable thing is that all the discussion focuses on COD and Phil only refers to that specific franchise and not to others .....

Every time I have more clear that MS only intends to give in and commit "day one and same version on PlayStation" only with COD but not with the rest (many) ATV-BLZ franchises.

I have more and more clear that new IPs and other originals are going to be either Xbox exclusives, or temporary exclusives or "better on Xbox and Gamepass day one".

From my point of view, MS and Xbox have more to gain from those other franchises (Diablo, Crash, WOW, etc, etc...) and the human power of ACT-Blz Studios (double XBGStudios and Bethe-Zenimaxsd in human staff) that in the exclusivity or not of COD.
I’m sure it’ll be a “case by case basis” just like Bethesda except we haven’t seen anything beyond what they were contractually obligated to release come to PlayStation since the Bethesda purchase

And this is exactly why I fucking hate the market right now. I can't afford to run two consoles, nor do I want too. But pretty soon you won't be able to play any Bethesda or Activision title on PlayStation unless it's way past it's release date and just for extra change. Minecraft too. It's ridiculous. People who think Microsoft are going to keep games and franchises coming to PlayStation are surely not seeing the play here. Microsoft have no obligation whatsoever to release Bethesda or ABK content on PlayStation if their mergers successfully close. Sony, if they want to play Microsoft's game, would have to make some huge acquisitions to really compete if the game is literally to buy the market and give it away for a monthly subscription. You can afford to do that when you make 60-80 billion a year in gross profit. I really hate gaming right now. Picking up the odd studio here and there when you're close partners and you've been that way for years I can get, but this is ridiculous. My only reprieval with Embracer is that they want to stay multiplatform and they're not for sale.

Sony can now call on a lot of decent talent in that space, including Bungie, along with ex-COD devs. Whatever happens, it’ll certainly be interesting to see how it pans out. Who’d have thought Halo would be where it is now?
Gamers have short memories. If 343i manages to fix Halo Infinite and do a soft reboot, or the next game is lights out, nobody is going to give a shit that Halo stumbled. The only problem is that is a big *if* given their track record with Halo. Either way, Sony locking up Bungie was a killer move that gives Sony a proven studio for potentially making a killer online FPS game.

There is a level fanboyism we all exhibit lets be honest. But this right here is just something else man, like even phil wouldn't go this far and the man is head of xbox.

It won Game Awards Player Voice award. It won multiple Game of The Year accolades from multiple publications. It absolutely outclassed both COD Vanguard and BF2042 as far as being the superior FPS game on both the campaign and multiplayer side. The month it released it outsold COD on both PC and Xbox. It was critically well received on the same score aggregate sites you people love to death.

It's also #2 most played game currently on Xbox Game Pass, a service with over 25 million subscribers. And it's #17 currently on Xbox period. There are over 100 million monthly active users on Xbox Live.

GAME PASS - PLEASE TELL ME XBOX GAME PASS ISN'T POPULAR SO THIS IS MEANINGLESS.

XK4xPWt.png

#17 IS IMPRESSIVE ON STEAM IS CONSIDERED STRONG, BUT NOT ACROSS THE ENTIRE XBOX LIVE NETWORK OF OVER 100 MILLION MONTHLY ACTIVE USERS?

tTOspKu.png

Third party timed exclusives tend to also come to PC regardless of the console platform they are exclusive to. The only time there tends to be an undefined delay is when there's a Japanese developer/publisher involved for whatever reason (in particular Square Enix). It's also happened with Bravery Default 2 and Octopath Traveller.
Fair enough, Persona 5 comes immediately to mind.... Doubt Sony had a 6 year exclusive agreement lol

Wonder why that is

GHG

Gold Member

XK4xPWt.png

#17 IS IMPRESSIVE ON STEAM IS CONSIDERED STRONG, BUT NOT ACROSS THE ENTIRE XBOX LIVE NETWORK OF OVER 100 MILLION MONTHLY ACTIVE USERS?

tTOspKu.png

It's in good company there with dead by daylight and Ark Survival evolved.

Fair enough, Persona 5 comes immediately to mind.... Doubt Sony had a 6 year exclusive agreement lol

Wonder why that is

Japanese developers neglected the PC for years and only in recent years they've started cosying up with the platform. With the exception of Capcom there's still a period of catch up. Atlus have gone on record stating more of their catalogue will be coming to PC soon so I wouldn't be surprised to see persona 5 arrive. It's a curious one because Strikers arrived on the same date as the global release.

Last edited:
I’m sure it’ll be a “case by case basis” just like Bethesda except we haven’t seen anything beyond what they were contractually obligated to release come to PlayStation since the Bethesda purchase
Weren't deathloop and ghostwire Tokyo literally the first games to come out after the deal finalized?

EDIT: I missed contractually obligated, but the point still stands, have there been any games released that didn't go to playstation yet? We know redfall and starfield aren't, but that's a pretty small list

Last edited:

Hendrick's

This is exactly what the CMA were talking about when they sited their handling of the Bethesda acquisition and the PR surrounding that. The messaging is all over the place, strategically worded and full of holes/ get out clauses.

The media lap it up as usual and create grandiose headlines that reflect well on them (good guys Xbox yay, good guy Phil yay!), but anyone who closely reads their statements and also takes their actions in to account can see it's all nothing but hot air.
Where do you stand on Sony moneyhatting everything they can get their hands on? What about their shady keep away clauses? Funny how you and the media are silent about that. I guess that doesn't bother you.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Same experience, only players on one console must pay $70 at time of release while players on the other console will have the game available to them as part of a $15 monthly subscription (less is using the family plan and sharing costs). Pretty big difference.

The more players the merrier now that we have crossplay. MW2 is possibly going to be the biggest cod of all time, outdoing even the original MW2 and Black Ops.

jm89

It won Game Awards Player Voice award. It won multiple Game of The Year accolades from multiple publications. It absolutely outclassed both COD Vanguard and BF2042 as far as being the superior FPS game on both the campaign and multiplayer side. The month it released it outsold COD on both PC and Xbox. It was critically well received on the same score aggregate sites you people love to death.

It's also #2 most played game currently on Xbox Game Pass, a service with over 25 million subscribers. And it's #17 currently on Xbox period. There are over 100 million monthly active users on Xbox Live.

XK4xPWt.png

tTOspKu.png
Keeping going man, gonna put aaron greenberg out of a job.

Robb

Gold Member
This whole situation is so bizarre. Does a promise from Phil even mean anything? What happens if he gets replaced in a year and someone new steps in?

I assume the majority of this is just a play to get the deal through. Everything goes, talk is cheap.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’ve always liked Phil but if this is accurate he really is full of shit. I’m sure some decisions regarding 70bn deals are beyond his pay grade but he’s out there saying the exact opposite of this over and over. I really thought they would treat this like the minecraft deal. Sony will lose serious ground in market share if COD ever goes exclusive. Guess they flew too close to the sun with all that timed exclusive shit and MS was tired of getting pushed around by a much smaller company.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And yet that doubling of the Gold price did not come with a corresponding increase in the price of Gamepass Ultimate.

Clear ploy to drive more people into Gamepass.
Oh right that makes it all ok then. They were simply trying to force the people paying £50 a year to pay £131 a year. Good guy Microsoft.

Weren't deathloop and ghostwire Tokyo literally the first games to come out after the deal finalized?

EDIT: I missed contractually obligated, but the point still stands, have there been any games released that didn't go to playstation yet? We know redfall and starfield aren't, but that's a pretty small list

The list is small because they haven't actually released anything outside of Deathloop and Ghostwire. And the only two we know of right now are exclusive, so yeah.

Last edited:
It's in good company there with dead by daylight and Ark Survival evolved.

Japanese developers neglected the PC for years and only in recent years they've started cosying up with the platform. With the exception of Capcom there's still a period of catch up. Atlus have gone on record stating more of their catalogue will be coming to PC soon so I wouldn't be surprised to see persona 5 arrive. It's a curious one because Strikers arrived on the same date as the global release.
Persona 5 royal next gen (along with p4g and p3p in the following months) is coming this winter for pc along with xbox day one for game pass, I'm just saying it's odd that it took so long.

I think you may be overestimating the typical CoD player.
I think you're underestimating them. Two games that will sell every year with every entry like gangbusters is Call of Duty and FIFA. Especially here in the UK. You take their ability to play it on PlayStation, which is currently the biggest install base on console by the way and by a reasonable margin, mostly due to consoles sold and they will buy whatever they need to play it. Especially when XBOX has had a pretty decent following in the UK since the 360 and that's without looking at the US. This is going to hurt Sony's books because they make loads from CoD, they've obviously invested in the franchise with exclusivity deals which is effectively what Microsoft were doing with that franchise first but it'll take casual gamers away from PlayStation. It will hurt Sony. Not necessarily Nintendo, PC gamers or other publishers which is why they obviously don't give a shit, but this hurts PlayStation. Microsoft are really trying to play down the importance of Call of Duty in the market. But you don't pay $70 billion for a company if they don't make something people want or need.

Keeping going man, gonna put aaron greenberg out of a job.

You need to stop being mad that Xbox is making moves you don't like. You'll enjoy gaming more. Trust me. There is a reason I support all consoles. Try doing the same and stop being such a warrior upset with my opinion and move on. That's what I'm doing by choosing to no longer respond to you or anyone else who has a problem with what I already said. I said what I said.

This whole situation is so bizarre. Does a promise from Phil even mean anything? What happens if he gets replaced in a year and someone new steps in?

I assume the majority of this is just a play to get the deal through. Everything goes, talk is cheap.
PlayStation fans already know how this situation feels. Being told over the past 20 years that Sony first-party games would ONLY be available on PlayStation consoles, then Jimbo comes along and blockbusters like Spiderman and GOW make their way to PC. Talk really is cheap.

GHG

Gold Member
Where do you stand on Sony moneyhatting everything they can get their hands on? What about their shady keep away clauses? Funny how you and the media are silent about that. I guess that doesn't bother you.

Shopping around for timed exclusives has been a thing in gaming since the very beginning. Nintendo do it, Sony do it and maybe you have a short memory, or maybe you're blind to it but Microsoft did it right up until the advent of gamepass.

Just because they have now evolved past that and are instead attempting to outright purchase any studio/publisher that is open to negotiations it doesn't mean they are suddenly the good guys. Far from it in fact when you consider it means other platforms will never get games that otherwise would have been third party. Don't kid yourself, if xbox weren't busy purchasing studios wholesale and negotiating "day one" deals for gamepass then they would still be out there shopping around for timed exclusives.

"Keep away" (isn't even the correct term for it but whatever) clauses are standard across the industry when negotiating marketing deals and/or a timed exclusive deal. It enables the negotiating party to have first dibs on the game for their own subscription service before it can arrive on any other subscription service. If Microsoft are opting to delay the release of Deathloop and Ghostwire on Xbox until they can simultaneously launch them on gamepass then that's their choice, they don't have to do that considering the deal for the games themselves is only 12 months.

If you want to complain about topics the media dare not talk about then I'd suggest looking closer to home because there's plenty that could be highlighted.

Hendrick's

I think you're underestimating them. Two games that will sell every year with every entry like gangbusters is Call of Duty and FIFA. Especially here in the UK. You take their ability to play it on PlayStation, which is currently the biggest install base on console by the way and by a reasonable margin, mostly due to consoles sold and they will buy whatever they need to play it. Especially when XBOX has had a pretty decent following in the UK since the 360 and that's without looking at the US. This is going to hurt Sony's books because they make loads from CoD, they've obviously invested in the franchise with exclusivity deals which is effectively what Microsoft were doing with that franchise first but it'll take casual gamers away from PlayStation. It will hurt Sony. Not necessarily Nintendo, PC gamers or other publishers which is why they obviously don't give a shit, but this hurts PlayStation. Microsoft are really trying to play down the importance of Call of Duty in the market. But you don't pay $70 billion for a company if they don't make something people want or need.
But if they do take COD away from PS, which I don't think they will, we are looking at 6 years or so from now. That's a whole new console gen away and who know what gaming even looks like by then. My belief is that MS is going to use COD as leverage to stop Sony from moneyhatting everything, but won't pull it unless they continue to play dirty.

MikeM

And this is exactly why I fucking hate the market right now. I can't afford to run two consoles, nor do I want too. But pretty soon you won't be able to play any Bethesda or Activision title on PlayStation unless it's way past it's release date and just for extra change. Minecraft too. It's ridiculous. People who think Microsoft are going to keep games and franchises coming to PlayStation are surely not seeing the play here. Microsoft have no obligation whatsoever to release Bethesda or ABK content on PlayStation if their mergers successfully close. Sony, if they want to play Microsoft's game, would have to make some huge acquisitions to really compete if the game is literally to buy the market and give it away for a monthly subscription. You can afford to do that when you make 60-80 billion a year in gross profit. I really hate gaming right now. Picking up the odd studio here and there when you're close partners and you've been that way for years I can get, but this is ridiculous. My only reprieval with Embracer is that they want to stay multiplatform and they're not for sale.
You can’t play everything man. Its the same with all the TV streaming services. You can’t watch them all.
My stance is that the studios accepting the money and deal must find enough value in it to accept it. MS could have the same terms (as we have seen in the past) but it appears they aren’t sending enough money or the studios don’t see the value in being Xbox exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom