• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to shave $150 off Xbox Series S on 'Xbox All Access' financing. Now $18.74/month. No expiration listed.

no great exclusise AAA to move Xbox right now.

But does that matter for casuals at this time that are still having issues getting new consoles in many places? Where COD and fornite with their local sports game is more than enough.

I think if there were more delays next year that may be an issue but I believe that the lack of production of all consoles (S to a lesser extent) and some bad moves by Sony brought MS enough time to get by this year they wouldn't otherwise have had.

I like this form of competition so much better. The timing might be bad but when financial uncertainty comes around sometimes people tighten their belts by spending on things to occupy time. I hope they succeed on this front.

The timing is perfect, bad economy, holiday guilt, here's an S gift you can buy for yourself or others for only $18 a month.

Also a good way to buy the X at full price when it's out of stock elsewhere, or for $35 a month on All Access, if the person is a Verizon customer as they hold stock for their subs.

That will be a tall order if Sony really has fixed their stock issues.

By itself sure. Combined with X this holiday? Different story.

Maybe in South America or Asia, In Europe? Not really.

Proof?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Cool but why go through the hassle of financing a $250 purchase? Lol. Even if at 0 interest its not worth the effort

reinking

Gold Member
Cool but why go through the hassle of financing a $250 purchase? Lol. Even if at 0 interest its not worth the effort
Effort? Damn. How lazy are you to think filling out a form is effort?

On the topic of financial responsibility, I do believe they do a credit check so this is most likely for financial responsible people.

All of that being said, the Series S is not for me. It's not even the lower specs as much as I do not find the value. There is just not enough storage for an all digital console. I expect XB is clearing out inventory for an updated version.

Last edited:

Boss Man

Buy it outright then, not disagreeing with the tactic is for low income or those struggling households.

But imagine having kids, feeling terrible about them wanting to play the latest games with their friends but knowing food and rent comes first?

$18 a month you can come up with but and isn’t a large hit. Wait until CoD starts hitting as well. People getting a plan S can’t afford one outright and are targeted to people who no way care about 4K but just want to play the latest.
Buying something that you can’t afford on a payment plan is a terrible idea unless it‘s an appreciating asset and even then it might not be smart.

They’re making consoles “affordable” to people who can’t afford them by obfuscating the cost and people are cheering it on as “equitable” and “inclusive” lol. Woke corporatism really is something else.

Think of it like this:
What if the console broke or was stolen? Would that $20/mo payment still be “affordable” for a low income family then? If you can’t afford something you can’t afford it.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Buying something that you can’t afford on a payment plan is a terrible idea unless it‘s an appreciating asset and even then it might not be smart.

They’re making consoles “affordable” to people who can’t afford them by obfuscating the cost and people are cheering it on as “equitable” and “inclusive” lol. Woke corporatism really is something else.

Think of it like this:
What if the console broke or was stolen? Would that $20/mo payment still be “affordable” for a low income family then? If you can’t afford something you can’t afford it.

I said it’s designed for low income families in my first sentence, and definitely not the greatest choice for financial dependence.

That said I would say you don’t have kids and haven’t been put into this position neither have I but I can sympathise and understand the target market and why is exists, parents want to give their children everything they possibly can in life even if it means they themselves don’t eat for a day.

And no difference to saving up and buying a console and having it stolen, It fucking hurts? I dare say that’s probably the only benefit of a digital future I never thought of is they’ll loose the console but not their entire gaming collection like years past.

Buy it outright then, not disagreeing with the tactic is for low income or those struggling households.

But imagine having kids, feeling terrible about them wanting to play the latest games with their friends but knowing food and rent comes first?

$18 a month you can come up with but and isn’t a large hit. Wait until CoD starts hitting as well. People getting a plan S can’t afford one outright and are targeted to people who no way care about 4K but just want to play the latest.

Well, there's a lot of assumptions mate, perhaps you/members may be correct but I don't think current gen consoles and low income really go hand in hand. Generally households with current gaming devices are pretty well off, that mid range mortgage, 2.5 kids and all that.

Also I'm not low income but I took this offer up for my Series X, nothing extra to pay, why outlay my cash in a lump sum up front? Reading this thread if Australia's carrier Telstra offers this on the Series S I'll grab another one for my daughter for XMAS for sure. Then I can likely consolidate my out of contract GP and upgrade to the family plan I've been wanting to do for the last month but been slack on.

EDIT: Australia > Telstra All Access prices ($AUD), Series S console + 2 years Gamepass + EA Play - Also worth noting the rewards points from Telstra is about half way to a free Elite 2 Controller redemption. I have redeemed to of those free controllers with Telstra rewards already.

Ctk3ImE.png

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Well, there's a lot of assumptions mate, perhaps you/members may be correct but I don't think current gen consoles and low income really go hand in hand. Generally households with current gaming devices are pretty well off, that mid range mortgage, 2.5 kids and all that.

Also I'm not low income but I took this offer up for my Series X, nothing extra to pay, why outlay my cash in a lump sum up front? Reading this thread if Australia's carrier Telstra offers this on the Series S I'll grab another one for my daughter for XMAS for sure. Then I can likely consolidate my out of contract GP and upgrade to the family plan I've been wanting to do for the last month but been slack on.

EDIT: Australia > Telstra All Access prices ($AUD), Series S console + 2 years Gamepass + EA Play - Also worth noting the rewards points from Telstra is about half way to a free Elite 2 Controller redemption. I have redeemed to of those free controllers with Telstra rewards already.

Ctk3ImE.png

$1 a day for unlimited kids entertainment in a low income household in Australia is nothing, we’re a wealthy nation in comparison to 99% of the rest of the world however even when in commission housing and on the link.

I took up the X on Telstra because aside from in costing me nothing extra like you it goes through on my tax bill as an expense (as little as that is) and the points you gather each month.

Have quarter million now but not sure what to spend on? was going grab another A50 for free just for shits and giggles but seems redundant.

BlackTron

Doesn’t seem like a great deal to me. Why not just buy the console for $250, and get Game Pass as you need it?

This deal is basically saying "if you commit to two years of GP at $14.99 per month, we'll sell you a Series S for $90 and let you pay for it at $3.75 per month".

In my opinion, it's an extremely strong deal. It opens up the Xbox ecosystem to anybody with no money down, no interest, and no real risk that's gonna hurt you later ($18/month lol). Obviously, if you aren't sure if you want to commit to GP for that long, or would prefer an X, you're not gonna want it. The only thing that makes it questionable is gamepass sub tricks, but most normal people don't have time for that. You can look at it as buying the console at $250 and paying $3.75/m for gamepass, either way they aren't exactly killing you here lol.

I feel like it’s a tactic to get the consumer interested in spending more at Verizon. It’s an Xbox this year and next it’s a thousand dollar phone. It’s another thing to add to your line of credit. I can’t be the only person here who doesn’t see this “wonderful deal” as a ploy to get signed up for something down the road. It’s probably smart marketing. It’s like the jewelry store giving you that Xbox One or Series S for spending thousands on a diamond ring. It’s chump change, but it’s enticing to the consumer. So were GameStop credit cards to the broke college students who wanted a new console.
It's anyones owns responsibility to balance their books, like it's any company's obligation to squeeze everything out of you. Adults gotta be adults or face the consequences.
A broke student on itself sounds like something in priorities went wrong. America in a nutshell.
But I believe we are chasing after that reality too. No questions asked microcredits are products I think started not long ago. Using your credit card for, you know, credit, is also not common at all, not even sure if it is possible... The banks are kind of gambling, that they will get their money back and people learn to consume today and save money later. Imho terrible, but it's their choice.

Anyone who really can't pay 300 or even 1000 in one payment, probably should not crave this or that product because his finances are not stable enough. The only reasons anyone should take such offers is, they have no monetary downside and they could pay it in one go anyway.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I guess other countries are different but in the states 80% of the population doesn't even have $500 in the bank for an emergency, so, $300 or $500 isn't an impulse buy. I can see a typical low-middle income family benefiting from this easily enough. They only need that first payment upfront and get a nice Xmas gift now and then for $20 a month they are providing quite a bit of entertainment potential for themselves and the kids.

$1 a day for unlimited kids entertainment in a low income household in Australia is nothing, we’re a wealthy nation in comparison to 99% of the rest of the world however even when in commission housing and on the link.

I took up the X on Telstra because aside from in costing me nothing extra like you it goes through on my tax bill as an expense (as little as that is) and the points you gather each month.

Have quarter million now but not sure what to spend on? was going grab another A50 for free just for shits and giggles but seems redundant.

Elite controller and learn to use the paddles and adjust the controls with the xbox controller app. Good improvement for this old gaming dog.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Also I'm not low income but I took this offer up for my Series X, nothing extra to pay, why outlay my cash in a lump sum up front?
This is what a lot of people do not get - getting something "pay X times" with the same end price and being disciplined about it (aka not taking too many things at once that add up to a sizeable chunk payment) is smart thinking, especially right now with high inflation.

Some of these posts are strange.

A low income person or family literally only had to pay $18 a month, Why are people acting like those shouldn't buy it? They aren't going to default on $18 a month.

Not to mention those low income households will BUILD CREDIT by making on time payments. It's a win win. Cheap Series S for $18 a month, build credit, giving those households better access to finances.

If they qualify for this, at minimum their CC is 680 with a blank sheet or one minor issue, or it's HIGHER which means they were already financially responsible just don't have a job paying 40k or more a year. $18 for those people will be easier than getting $300+tax from their emergency fund. Or even now $250+ tax. Which most americans don't even have if they make less than 40k a year, which is most Americans surprisingly.

El Muerto

I could of bought my Series X outright, but chose the all access. No interest and low payments, my credit score jumped like 60pts too. So i got a console, and a higher credit score, and i dont have to pay a lump sum, really a win-win.

Boss Man

And no difference to saving up and buying a console and having it stolen, It fucking hurts?
The difference is that they understand they can’t afford to pay $250 in a lump sum for something they could lose but don’t even account for it with a payment plan because accounting for money in the long term is more difficult for people to think about. It’s the same reason why people will regularly buy lotto tickets or make large purchases on a credit card and then only pay the minimum balance.

I’m not knocking companies for offering financing, it’s just not some act of virtue and it’s doing more harm than good to low income families. Console financing shouldn’t be celebrated unless it’s in the context of cheering on increased console sales. More people having Xboxes and fewer people having $250 is not a positive outcome from a neutral perspective, and all this does is hide the cost.

If you could return the Xbox and get your payments back for the entire window that you’re paying for it, then maybe so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom