• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Alan Wake Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Lysandros

The versions tested were 1.000.005 on PS5 consoles and 2.0.0.5 on the Xbox Series consoles. These are the latest versions on each platform and are taken from the respective console dashboards.

PS5 and Xbox Series X both render at a native resolution of 2560x1440. PS5 and Xbox Series X both appear to use 4xMSAA and both render the UI at 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and renders the UI at 1920x1080.

Frame pacing issues can happen during FMVs on all three consoles.

Stats:

6TL4Jsu.jpg

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_z8IneJhgaSOnc5xt2PTGSB2hNnSFYBgRZVgq_Bx0Uk/edit#gid=0

Last edited:
Ancient game, who gives a fuck. So sick of these comparisons on these old titles that don't really matter anymore and were built originally to run on previous 2 generations old hardware. Means absolutely nothing.

Make a thread when a true next gen exclusive only title (not cross gen) gets released and then compare it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Who wants to see these games that barely stress the systems and effectively signs of a bad optimization if they cant lock their frame rate.

I want real benchmarks like Babylons Fall.
babylons-fall-1.large.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it worth playing? I never played it back in the day (was Xbox / PC exclusive, I think..?)
Yes, Alan Wake is probably my second favorite remedy game after control, full marks from me personally.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Not to say it's terrible or anything, but having such an old game drop frames to the mid 50s is quite jarring.

YCoCg

Not to say it's terrible or anything, but having such an old game drop frames to the mid 50s is quite jarring.
Considering the Original 360 version ran at like 640p with 4xMSAA due to how the game render handles specific effects, that 4xMSAA was kept in place even though it's now running at 1440p and twice the framerate. MSAA is quite heavy and no console apart from the Original 360 was designed with it in mind, especially since modern consoles focus more on post processing effects and scaling. Not to say more work couldn't be done/improved but as of right now it's doing something with a very heavy AA method.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is it worth playing? I never played it back in the day (was Xbox / PC exclusive, I think..?)
no, it’s Remedies worst game, and was one of those games that was 1/10th of what was promised and rushed to just get something out. The promise this game had before its release was insane, the tech looked remarkable and it was set to be something truly special…. and then they realized they couldn’t do any of what they said they could and pushed out a linear bare bones experience that feels chopped to all hell.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah fuck games that runs better on xbox. Boring.

Serious though. What the fuck is going on with screen tearing in 2022.

Last edited:

Rivet

So your not seeing the ps5 version consistently hovering in the 55 to 58 fps range while the xbox is locked 60. Its happening a considerable amount of the time. All versions need vrr.

Actually it's the opposite. Stats above say PS5 version is 60 fps (frame time = 16.67 ms) during 98.53% of the time vs 92.78 % on Series X.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Actually it's the opposite. Stats above say PS5 version is locked 60 during 98.53% of the time vs 92.78 % on Series X.
Watch the actual video. I can see it with my own eyes, im sure you can too. The xbox is at 60 fps more times than the ps5 in that video.

The xbox may have some lower lows when stressed or something. But both are dropping at the same times and it looks like the xbox gets back to 60 quicker too.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'd say its worth a shot, after all Alan Wake is the greatest game of all time so I'd play it if I haven't already.
What screen tearing…… oh yeah I have VRR
Well from what I could tell from the comments it has screen tearing? I gotta admit I jump right face down into the comments after seeing the flashy numbers in OPs post.

Rivet

Just watch from 2 mins 10 seconds onwards and enjoy.

Just watch later sections, XSX version drops more. Stats are the overall result, they say PS5 version runs at 60 fps more often (98.53 % vs 92.78 %)

Overall, both are pretty close to 60 fps locked anyway. It's basically a tie.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So your not seeing the ps5 version consistently hovering in the 55 to 58 fps range while the xbox is locked 60. Its happening a considerable amount of the time. All versions need vrr.
If the PS5 version had tearing it would probably run the best, though I hate tearing so fuck that (I'm not buying this game though, so it doesn't matter to me).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just watch later sections, XSX version drops more. Stats are the overall result, they say PS5 version runs at 60 fps more often.
Where can I watch this? The stats say the xbox hits lower lows for short periods but it jumps back to 60 quicker than ps5, also ps5 has more 33ms timed frames. The only footage I've seen here is xbox staying at 60 fps more consistently but it does drop lower for a second or two. Ps5 is consistently struggling with sticking at 60 and struggles with the light sourcing as well when the flare is lit.

Will be fixed on all consoles once VRR launches on ps5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If the PS5 version had tearing it would probably run the best, though I hate tearing so fuck that (I'm not buying this game though, so it doesn't matter to me).

How can this be the case if the xbox is at locked 60 fps while the ps5 is hovering at 56 to 58 fps. If v sync was turned off the ps5 may stay at 58 but it would have consistently loads of tearing. More than xbox. Because v sync is turned off on the xbox when it does drop you see the torn frames.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You lose some performance when getting rid of tearing.

No you don't, it just locks the fps a little lower. If the game was running at locked 60 on ps5 it would be locked 60. Yes, it may not drop to 55 and stick at 56 to 58 fps say without g sync if the system was stressed enough to cause it to deviate from a 60 fps lock but then it would be tearing like crazy. If the ps5 could deliver 60 fps it would be doing it. V sync doesn't drop your performance if the system can handle 60 fps. It just will ensure a full screen is refreshed when it does drop to alleviate tearing, which may make the drop be a little harsher than it would be without v sync.

Mr Moose

No you don't, it just locks the fps a little lower. If the game was running at locked 60 on ps5 it would be locked 60. Yes, it may not drop to 55 and stick at 56 to 58 fps say without g sync if the system was stressed enough to cause it to deviate from a 60 fps lock but then it would be tearing like crazy. If the ps5 could deliver 60 fps it would be doing it. V sync doesn't drop your performance if the system can handle 60 fps. It just will ensure a full screen is refreshed when it does drop to alleviate tearing, which may make the drop be a little harsher than it would be without v sync.
Did you not watch the Ghostwire video?

HFR performance mode keeps the same resolution, but removes RT, meaning that frame-rates are typically north of 60fps in all but the most exceptional circumstances. Both HFR modes have the choice of v-sync on or off: the former lowers overall performance, the latter increases it at the expense of truly hideous screen-tearing.

Lysandros

Just watch later sections, XSX version drops more. Stats are the overall result, they say PS5 version runs at 60 fps more often (98.53 % vs 92.78 %)

Overall, both are pretty close to 60 fps locked anyway. It's basically a tie.
I actually think that PS5 technically outperforms XSX in this especially considering the Vsync performance cost. It also has a little advantage in minimums (8 FPS) and first percentile. But all these are pretty academic overall, i agree.

Top Bottom