• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Forspoken PS5 Frame Rate Test (Demo)

ToTTenTranz

Banned
HDMI VRR works at 48+ fps.
Doesn't matter if max refresh rate >= 2x minimum refresh rate.
Low Framerate Compensation kicks in at below 48 FPS, if VRR is properly implemented.
A 40 FPS / 25ms frame is simply 2x 80FPS / 12.5ms frames in a row. A 35 FPS / 28.6ms frame is 2x 70 FPS / 14.3ms frames in a row.

There are plenty of PS5 games with 40FPS modes working fine with VRR. Spider Man, Ratchet&Clank, Horizon Forbidden West and others have 40FPS modes with VRR support.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-vrr-performance-tested

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, that announcement trailer looked so much better.

Fucking hype inducing, new console, new ip bullshit trailers.

Looks nothing like it...sadge.

mansoor1980

720P on ps5?

giphy.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
720p. lmao.

I know I have been wanting lower resolution hgher fidelity games instead of native 4k last gen games, but i didnt expect lowest resolution lowest fidelity games like this piece of trash. Just an awful looking. One of the worst ever.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Doesn't matter if max refresh rate >= 2x minimum refresh rate.
Low Framerate Compensation kicks in at below 48 FPS, if VRR is properly implemented.
A 40 FPS / 25ms frame is simply 2x 80FPS / 12.5ms frames in a row. A 35 FPS / 28.6ms frame is 2x 70 FPS / 14.3ms frames in a row.

There are plenty of PS5 games with 40FPS modes working fine with VRR. Spider Man, Ratchet&Clank, Horizon Forbidden West and others have 40FPS modes with VRR support.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-vrr-performance-tested
Spider-man is going above 40fps here, so not locked to 40, unless they call unlocked mode by "40fps mode" for some reason. And what VRR is doing at 46fps in Spider man?

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Spider-man is going above 40fps here, so not locked to 40, unless they call unlocked mode by "40fps mode" for some reason. And what VRR is doing at 46fps in Spider man?
"X FPS VRR" means that the minimum framerate will be X, but if the console is capable of providing a higher framerate then your framerate will be higher than X.
40 FPS + VRR is a 40FPS baseline (system won't ever go below 40 FPS) but it can go up as much as there's performance headroom to do so.

Spiderman has a custom LFC implementation for frames below 48 fps.
I wonder if implementing LFC on the PS5 is still custom or if Sony eventually added the functionality to the devkits through an update.
Insomniac has been a 1st party for a while now, so it would be in Sony's best interests to let all developers access the feature by sharing the code.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Played in quality mode 40hz mode and it was pretty decent, hopefully they are gonna iron out the performances before release day.

Aaron Olive

In my opinion the only reason this demo showed up was because preorders were in a disastrous state and now they’re in even more trouble by putting out a horrible vertical slice, too bad cause I was interested when it was first revealed now I’m out. 2042

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Tripolygon

Banned
I'll just like to take this moment to highlight how utterly idiotic these discussions a few months ago were with regards to FSR2 on PS5 in this game.
Look, FSR 2.0 isn't supported on the PS5. As it isn't supported, it can't be used by developers.
It's not supported yet because Sony has chosen not to support it.
If they decide to support it then the PS5 would be able to use it just as well as the Xbox.
I have heard a couple of times that Sony is working on their own reconstruction technology for the PS5. Wether that's the Insomniac one, I don't know.
So why hasn't Sony supported FSR 2.0?
Because if they have a solution that they think works better, then they will want developers to use it over just using FSR as a crutch because it's also on PC and Xbox. So if FSR isn't supported it means devs will have to adopt the Sony solution.
You keep using the game, and I'm telling you we already have confirmation that the game on PC is using features that PS5 won't or can't use because it doesn't use those or have hardware support for it. No hardware support for Tier 2 VRS, so clearly that's only relevant to the PC version of Forspoken. DirectStorage? PC and Xbox. Not one mention anywhere of FSR 2.0 being available on PS5 for this game at launch. But which version of FSR did they show running? (seemingly the one they're guaranteeing will be supported on both) 2.0 in development. Sounds to me like the PS5 version is only going to support FSR 1.0 at launch.
Could very well just be for the PC version for all we know.

Last edited:

clampzyn

In my opinion the only reason this demo showed up was because preorders were in a disastrous state and now they’re in even more trouble by putting out a horrible vertical slice, too bad cause I was interested when it was first revealed now I’m out. 2042
Should have named it Parkour: Magic Simulator :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'll just like to take this moment to highlight how utterly idiot these discussions a few months ago were with regards to FSR2 on PS5 in this game.

Not sure what highlighting posts made months before the developers officially confirmed FSR 2 for console has to do with this topic.

Is it an attempt to deflect from the poor showing of the demo itself ? 🤔

Last edited:

Hugare

This game has no reason to exist besides Square wanting to use Luminous engine one more time to justify their investment on it

No big director from Square working on it, the terrible FF XV team are behind this game's development, so the writting was on the wall the whole time.

People using this game as an example to downplay consoles ... Just grow up

Won't be a popular opinion, but I'm actually very impressed with this game. I think it's fun to play and mess around in, it actually takes major risks on the gameplay side, which we don't often see from a lot of games. And it's effects are pretty damn impressive. I see why the resolution can get as low as it does.

I personally like what I see from the game and can't wait to get the full thing. This isn't a game I immediately just dismiss because I like this kind of stuff.

I come from playing games like DBZ Legends on the PS1, Budokai. This seems like an open world version of those games when they get chaotic. This is one of those games where your own skill will determine how good combat looks.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Don't care about the demo, didn't play it.

I'm specifically highlighting how utterly idiotic those comments were.

You would have a point if those comments were made recently.

The posts you're highlighting are from March, when FSR 2.0 was still a WIP thing.

Forspoken's developers didn't confirm the game having FSR 2.0 on the console officially until May.

This is not the first time you've brought up those outdated posts, nor the first time I've had to correct you on this my dude :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

adamsapple

the difference is HUUUUUGE

Luminous is trash. No wonder Square aren't using it for their flagship instead relying on the trusty UE4.

edit: Is FFVI using Unreal 4 ? I'm seeing conflicting things online.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haven’t tried the demo yet, but it looks like the foundation for a decent game is there.

Just looks so empty.

Sony paid for two years exclusivity for this?

Tripolygon

Banned
You would have a point if those comments were made recently.

The posts you're highlighting are from March, when FSR 2.0 was still a WIP thing.

Forspoken's developers didn't confirm the game having FSR 2.0 on the console officially until May.
Does't change the fact you make a habit of posting nonsense. Even when the evidence was clearly presented.

This is not the first time you've brought up those outdated posts, nor the first time I've had to correct you on this my dude :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The only thing you're correcting is trying to explain away the nonsense you posted.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Imagine being so ridiculous that you think it's great to not even have the option to play a game on your favorite box....
I think the poster means that it would be even worse were it multiplat because the dev would have had less time to optimize and you'd see even lower resolutions.

adamsapple

Does't change the fact you make a habit of posting nonsense. Even when the evidence was clearly presented.

The only thing you're correcting is trying to explain away the nonsense you posted.

Video in march "FSR 1.0" in bold letters and in tiny font "FSR2.0 in development"

Video in May "Yes we have FSR 2.0 on console now"

Please feel free to stop using old outdated posts before more info was made available as "gotchas" every time there's a forspoken topic :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tripolygon

Banned
Video in march "FSR 1.0" in bold letters and in tiny font "FSR2.0 in development"

Video in May "Yes we have FSR 2.0 on console now"

Please feel free to stop using old outdated posts before more info was made available as "gotchas" every time there's a forspoken topic :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It was known from the beginning, I pointed it out, you chimed in with maybe it was only for PC version, meaning they weren't developing it for PS5 version. Then you moved on to FSR2 is integrated directly into GDK and PS5 will need more work to use it which makes absolutely no sense at all.

I highlight these idiotic posts because it is emblematic to the issue with many technical discussions on this board. Matter of fact i bookmark those posts for future reference.

GymWolf

Won't be a popular opinion, but I'm actually very impressed with this game. I think it's fun to play and mess around in, it actually takes major risks on the gameplay side, which we don't often see from a lot of games. And it's effects are pretty damn impressive. I see why the resolution can get as low as it does.

I personally like what I see from the game and can't wait to get the full thing. This isn't a game I immediately just dismiss because I like this kind of stuff.

I come from playing games like DBZ Legends on the PS1, Budokai. This seems like an open world version of those games when they get chaotic. This is one of those games where your own skill will determine how good combat looks.
Lol no they are not.

No magic effect on the demo is impressive enough to have such shitty res and performances, and i played the demo for like 5 hours and have the game preordered since forever, so hardly an hater.

The fire is nothing special and the rock are just...rocks? What impressive effects have you saw in the demo? You don't even have the water\ice ones that look the best graphically in all the trailers.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Wow lowest 720p? that's way too low, to me it looked ok when i played the demo, thought it's 1080p, hopefully they will increase the res in performance mode since it was really smooth and fun gameplay.

adamsapple

It was known from the beginning, I pointed it out, you chimed in with maybe it was only for PC version, meaning they weren't developing it for PS5 version. Then you moved on to FSR2 is integrated directly into GDK and PS5 will need more work to use it which makes absolutely no sense at all.

I highlight these idiotic posts because it is emblematic to the issue with many technical discussions on this board. Matter of fact i bookmark those posts for future reference.

No, it was not "known from the beginning" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Articles from around the time of the first video were reporting it as such:

Check out the benefits of FidelityFX's Ambient Occlusion, Screen Space Reflections and Super Resolution 1.0 in the upcoming action RPG.
FidelityFX is used in both PC and PS5 with features like Ambient Occlusion, Screen Space Reflections, Variable Shading and a Denoiser. There’s also Super Resolution 1.0 with Quality and Native 4K settings compared.

Looking forward to you bringing the outdated posts as gotchas again when DF does a breakdown for the game in a months time again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tripolygon

Banned
No, it was not "known from the beginning" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Articles from around the time of the first video were reporting it as such:

Looking forward to you bringing the outdated posts as gotchas again when DF does a breakdown for the game in a months time again :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The same video in that article is where FSR 2 is in development comes from which you claimed maybe it is only for the PC version. So yea it was known from the beginning.

If you don't want your posts to be highlighted maybe don't quote me with them. I highlight posts that quote me and i bookmark them because they are nonsensical and need to be called out in the future. Maybe instead of deflecting, own up to it no excuses like it wasn't known.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The same video in that article is where FSR 2 is in development comes from which you claimed maybe it is only for the PC version. So yea it was known from the beginning.

If you don't want your posts to be highlighted maybe don't quote me with them. I highlight posts that quote me and i bookmark them because they are nonsensical and need to be called out in the future. Maybe instead of deflecting, own up to it no excuses like it wasn't known.

You're free to highlight my posts any time, I'll be there to correct you on the timelines of when they were made versus when we knew FSR 2.0 was being used on console just like this instance (y)

Banned

if the trailer is anything to go by, yeah it's fast for an open-world game. ( at least to me lol )

we'll see how much of this will be happening in the game

also, you cant compare a cartoonish game with horrible character models and a cartoonish world to this man...

that's IMO an invalid argument there. the materials in Fortnite are all PBR materials with decently high detail thanks to nanite. it also uses pretty good looking RT GI + RT shadows on Series S and additionally RT reflections on PS5 and Series X. all at 60fps

the foliage is also very dense on this new version, especially in the SX and PS5 60fps mode where small foliage has a pretty far draw distance and casts RT shadows.

the newer character models also can get pretty detailed. some of the newer skins are very intricate.

Also. you play fortnite. we are no longer friends lol j/k

Brute GIF by Fortnite

FritzJ92

Waiting for people to be mention how PS5 isn’t next gen because it’s resolution isn’t 4K… same energy as XSS you know?

Btw game is visually a drag, but gameplay is not bad at all. Will pick up on discount bin.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's time like these where I wish 4A would make their engine public... I wonder why they were able to do, with small team, what devs with resources 10x higher or more, are struggling with.

I know remaster and all, but I recently just played a few levels and man that shit is fucking perfect.

I am talking about Metro: EE

Top Bottom