• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Halo Infinite Campaign Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One X/S Frame Rate Test

onQ123

For readability:

Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1440. Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The only resolution found on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode was 1920x1080.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1152x720. Xbox Series S in Performance Mode seems to use temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1440. Xbox One X in Quality Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be rare on Xbox One X in Performance Mode. Xbox One X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 960x720. Xbox One S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame.

There is some variance in how often the frame pacing issues occur when running at 30fps. Xbox One S is missing screen space reflections in the open world which are present on the other consoles in both modes. Comparing Xbox One S and Xbox One X there also seems to be some LOD and scene detail cutbacks on Xbox One S https://bit.ly/3DU2tmv

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For readability:

Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1440. Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The only resolution found on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode was 1920x1080.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1152x720. Xbox Series S in Performance Mode seems to use temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1440. Xbox One X in Quality Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be rare on Xbox One X in Performance Mode. Xbox One X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 960x720. Xbox One S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame.

There is some variance in how often the frame pacing issues occur when running at 30fps. Xbox One S is missing screen space reflections in the open world which are present on the other consoles in both modes. Comparing Xbox One S and Xbox One X there also seems to be some LOD and scene detail cutbacks on Xbox One S https://bit.ly/3DU2tmv

ethomaz

Banned
It should be a mistake in the text, no?

720p with dips in Series X?

Perhaps it is very GPU bound in 120fps?

Edit - Typo… GPU instead CPU.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Perhaps it is very CPU bound in 120fps?
Lower on Series S compared to One X, too. Who did the DF one? Was it Tom?

Yup, Tom.

This mode drops from a dynamic 4K in quality mode down to a dynamic 1440p. DRS is invoked heavily in big battles, giving One X a lower bounds of 1280x720 - but typically it's at numbers in-between.

Series S' performance mode? Again, generally speaking, it's operating at a lower resolution than Xbox One X, even if its dynamic resolution lower bounds is higher and overall performance is more solid. The resolution window here varies from 1706x960 to the full 1920x1080.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
720p in performance mode for both the X1X and XSX is crazy. This explains why the 6 tflops 580 is having issues. When the game drops, it drops hard. This engine is so not optimized lol.

My game crashed as soon as I got to the open world but now Im scared for my 2080. Im also using dynamic res on PC. I'd rather they let us cap the minimum resolution. I dont want it dipping below 1080p. Id rather take a small hit down to 100 fps instead. Thats far less noticeable than going all the way down to 720p.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Looks like an error as both Series X and Xbox One X has the same performance mode sentence.
Both 1440-2160p DRS, but Series X is double the fps.
Edit: Oh, performance mode.
DF:
Rendering Halo Infinite at 120fps inevitably comes at a cost for Series X. Resolution drops heavily, residing within a 1564x960 to 2460x1440 resolution window in our samples. Still, the net result is worth taking a look at: a majority of traversal and indoor missions run at 120fps with no problem, bar minor dips beneath.

It's Tom, though. He also said Series S lowest was 960p.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I also think that the differences outside of res is very small even between the Xbox One and XSX and that they should try harder.
That's what happens when you launch a console like the series s.
You meant Xbox One S probably...

Last edited:

yamaci17

its very gpu bound. im unable to get 120 fps at native 1080p with a 3070 in campaign

its doable in multiplayer, but campaign is another beast

if u want fidelity in this game, u have to accept 60 fps, which I did. game looks horribly blurry at 1440p and below. it truly shines at 1800p and above. game needs some seriously high resolution input.

if u want both fidelity and high framerates, i guess 3090/6900xt might still push 4k 100-120 fps or something. my 3070 is pushing 1700-1900p 60 fps and im happy (yes i counted pixels with random screenshots i took)

Last edited:

Fbh

Is performance mode 120fps?
Because going as low as 720p on Series X in a game that doesn't have particularly crazy visuals seems pretty extreme

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Series X Quality mode is the way to go.

Extremely consistent 60 FPS @ 4K DRS.

Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.8fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate57fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate59fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate58fps
Frame Time Counts
8.33ms0 (0%)
16.67ms21385 (99.66%)
25ms0 (0%)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Is performance mode 120fps?
Because going as low as 720p on Series X in a game that doesn't have particularly crazy visuals seems pretty extreme
Ranges from 80 to 120 with an average of 108 FPS.

And yes its 720p on Series X with a cross gen game.

Leyasu

Banned
I am playing it at 60hz.

And everyone laughed when Diablo 2 was 960p on the PS5 and XsX.

343 are going to working on patches for this for months....

Last edited:

adamsapple

Ranges from 80 to 120 with an average of 108 FPS.

And yes its 720p on Series X with a cross gen game.

It's not 720p.

The lowest DRS seen was 720p , the range is 720p to 1440p @ 120hz.

Don't misrepresent it please.

Last edited:

M1chl

I can't see it, my fucking ISP is blocking loads of sites and twitter is one of them.

Any other way to watch it?
Based ISP... j/k. No I don't think so, just grunt saying 'who is Craig now' after killing you.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I also think that the differences outside of res is very small even between the Xbox One and XSX and that they should try harder.

You meant Xbox One S probably...
Yes the decision to release last generation games needs to blow over.

adamsapple

Unless they announce more later, I think Infinite marks the end of the Xbox (first party) slate of games which will get a last-gen release.

Starfield, Hellblade etc are all new gen exclusive, even third party (timed) exclusives like STALKER 2 are new gen only.

So, I think we're starting to phase out the last gen now.

M1chl

Unless they announce more later, I think Infinite marks the end of the Xbox (first party) slate of games which will get a last-gen release.

Starfield, Hellblade etc are all new gen exclusive, even third party (timed) exclusives like STALKER 2 are new gen only.

So, I think we're starting to phase out the last gen now.
Good, I wrote a lot of here about why especially I/O suffers before inclusion of the last gen HW. You can't have HDD and SSD streaming done well if you combine those two in one package. I have quite an experience with that personally and it's kind of sad, that we are still at this point. It's weird when you have xcloud on X1...

adamsapple

Good, I wrote a lot of here about why especially I/O suffers before inclusion of the last gen HW. You can't have HDD and SSD streaming done well if you combine those two in one package. I have quite an experience with that personally and it's kind of sad, that we are still at this point. It's weird when you have xcloud on X1...

While it's true that cross-gen development puts artificial shackles on the potential of the new consoles ... the one thing we're gonna miss is the glut of 4K/60 cross-gen games. Some folks may not like going back to 30 FPS games after being spoiled by so many 60 FPS offerings in the new gen so far.

Concern

Have yet to try 120fps on any game yet. Which would be the best to actually try it with. Literally have yet to switch settings on any game lol.

adamsapple

Have yet to try 120fps on any game yet. Which would be the best to actually try it with. Literally have yet to switch settings on any game lol.

Not Infinite, VRR doesn't work on this games 120 FPS mode according to DF.

I'd say try on Gears 5's MP mode if you wanna give it a go. That's a pretty smooth experience.

720p in performance mode for both the X1X and XSX is crazy. This explains why the 6 tflops 580 is having issues. When the game drops, it drops hard. This engine is so not optimized lol.

My game crashed as soon as I got to the open world but now Im scared for my 2080. Im also using dynamic res on PC. I'd rather they let us cap the minimum resolution. I dont want it dipping below 1080p. Id rather take a small hit down to 100 fps instead. Thats far less noticeable than going all the way down to 720p.
My 3060ti PC at 1440p for the beginning part was 140 ish FPS at XSX quality settings. Get outside and it's 50-70. Alt tabbed out for a moment and it's 15-35 FPS. There are for sure issues cause outside I couldn't get over 70fps looking AT and doing nothing.

adamsapple

My 3060ti PC at 1440p for the beginning part was 140 ish FPS at XSX quality settings. Get outside and it's 50-70. Alt tabbed out for a moment and it's 15-35 FPS. There are for sure issues cause outside I couldn't get over 70fps looking AT and doing nothing.

Yeah, feels like an un-optimized engine is just one of the many facets of this games troubled development cycle.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, feels like an un-optimized engine is just one of the many facets of this games troubled development cycle.
They probably shouldve switched to Unreal Engine mid development like they wanted to. Would definitely have made their game more future proof considering how they want this to be the base game for a 10 year life cycle.

That said, I am glad that they ditched the somewhat linear design of the previous Halo games they have made. Halo was always a wide linear open world sandbox and this is where the series needed to go. I am willing to tolerate some framerate dips as long as the game is attempting to be ambitious enough. Hopefully they can make the switch to UE5 soon.

adamsapple

For what it's worth, both Series X and One X have a pretty solid 60 FPS modes at least. So, there's definitely ways to play this in a consistent clip on consoles.

I would rather play a story campaign in a consistent 60 over a fluctuating 120. MP is a different story.

I am playing it at 60hz.

And everyone laughed when Diablo 2 was 960p on the PS5 and XsX.

343 are going to working on patches for this for months....

Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Play the game in front of you, not the one you want to believe is in front of you, and doing so will tell you that the game isn't in the kind of troubled state you seem to be implying here. Framerate and being able to clearly see things clearly and far out into the distance is never an issue in this game. :)

And, for the record, they said months ago they would be updating this game and its engine for years. It's now a live service game.

Topher

Gold Member
More and more, I'm finding these technical analyses to be interesting but also, frankly, useless. It isn't like at some point I say "ah....there's that 720p VG Tech told me about". Rarely I'll see frame rate drops but even though rare they are much more noticeable than resolution shifts. That speaks to the impressive upscaling and reconstruction techniques and the benefits of DRS itself not just in Halo Infinite, but in console games overall.

adamsapple

More and more, I'm finding these technical analyses to be interesting but also, frankly, useless. It isn't like at some point I say "ah....there's that 720p VG Tech told me about". Rarely I'll see frame rate drops but even though rare they are much more noticeable than resolution shifts. That speaks to the impressive upscaling and reconstruction techniques and the benefits of DRS itself not just in Halo Infinite, but in console games overall.

Indeed. Saying that this "runs at 720p" is not just a flat out lie, it's also a massive disservice to the game.

720p to 1440p is a *massive* range, and 720p is the lowest recorded DRS, not a persistent one.

Last edited:

Exactly. Resolution is meant to affect visibility. I struggle to find any instances when playing this game that I can specifically pick out such instances where resolution is as low as 720p lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom