• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Halo Infinite Campaign Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One X/S Frame Rate Test

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
More and more, I'm finding these technical analyses to be interesting but also, frankly, useless. It isn't like at some point I say "ah....there's that 720p VG Tech told me about". Rarely I'll see frame rate drops but even though rare they are much more noticeable than resolution shifts. That speaks to the impressive upscaling and reconstruction techniques and the benefits of DRS itself not just in Halo Infinite, but in console games overall.
I am sort of with you as they have gone from interesting technical info drops to ammo for a pointless war. (even more so than they were before)

I still check em out because I like to see some of the techniques used by devs in their engines.

yamaci17

if you're on pc and targeting 4k, make sure to use dynamic res. it just works, the image is clean and good. if at 1440p and 1080p, it might not produce good results

practically, game mainly lowers vertical resolution to reduce GPU load. in my many pixel counts, i noticed that the game renders resolutions like 2800x2160p or 3000x2160p, yet the image will still look clean/good. of course at 1440p it might be problemetic due to lower resolution base (if you target 1080p)

i'd think that 1920x1440 vg tech calculated is probably an extreme minimum

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Here ya go:

lol brilliant
Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Play the game in front of you, not the one you want to believe is in front of you, and doing so will tell you that the game isn't in the kind of troubled state you seem to be implying here. Framerate and being able to clearly see things clearly and far out into the distance is never an issue in this game. :)

And, for the record, they said months ago they would be updating this game and its engine for years. It's now a live service game.
play the game in front of me. I haven’t played anything else since the 15th of November. The game is fantastic, but it is still a work in progress. 343 still have things to do.

Topher

Gold Member
My 3060ti PC at 1440p for the beginning part was 140 ish FPS at XSX quality settings. Get outside and it's 50-70. Alt tabbed out for a moment and it's 15-35 FPS. There are for sure issues cause outside I couldn't get over 70fps looking AT and doing nothing.

I fired the game up on my 2080 Super PC and it is a bit of a mess. The stuttering is annoying as hell. The game plays a lot smoother on XSX.

Fredrik

More and more, I'm finding these technical analyses to be interesting but also, frankly, useless. It isn't like at some point I say "ah....there's that 720p VG Tech told me about". Rarely I'll see frame rate drops but even though rare they are much more noticeable than resolution shifts. That speaks to the impressive upscaling and reconstruction techniques and the benefits of DRS itself not just in Halo Infinite, but in console games overall.
Yeah they’re just console war fuel. Going with the 60fps modes I haven’t noticed a single resolution or framerate dip in Halo Infinite.

Even without a vrr TV I rarely notice dips in other games either when playing, small hiccups means nothing really. And I stopped caring about resolution years ago.

In the Matrix demo there is constant framerate stutter from the low fps but they look virtually identical on the consoles to me, biggest difference is that you have a different controller in your hands. It’s also so dynamic in what’s happening that it’s virtually impossible to do a 1:1 comparison. Yet people try to come to the conclusion that there is a winner.

As far as I’m concerned the console war is over when it comes to performance. These consoles are so close that it’ll take serious fanboyism to conclude that the differences matters in any way while gaming. But it’s what put the food on the table for those doing these comparisons so they’ll still keep pushing out content throughout the whole generation talking about 1fps differences like it actually matters.

It’ll be even more hilarious to watch the talks once we all have vrr TVs. As long as the framerate is above 50 everything looks smooth as butter on my PC using gsync, I wouldn’t notice any performance variations without staring at the fps counter in the corner of the screen. 🤷‍♂️

sendit

720p in performance mode for both the X1X and XSX is crazy. This explains why the 6 tflops 580 is having issues. When the game drops, it drops hard. This engine is so not optimized lol.

My game crashed as soon as I got to the open world but now Im scared for my 2080. Im also using dynamic res on PC. I'd rather they let us cap the minimum resolution. I dont want it dipping below 1080p. Id rather take a small hit down to 100 fps instead. Thats far less noticeable than going all the way down to 720p.
No amount of money is going to change the fact that 343i is a mediocre development team. Watching the animation when the grass moves as a flying vehicle hovers above is comical.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They did a good job with the PC version…except performance. It runs like shite from Craig’s ass.

I fired up my PC today to see the difference. Fiddled with the settings a bit to get to a solid 60 fps (high, 80% resolution scale from 4k) but I'm getting this ridiculous stutter even when there is little action going on. That was it for me. Back to XSX.

I fired up my PC today to see the difference. Fiddled with the settings a bit to get to a solid 60 fps (high, 80% resolution scale from 4k) but I'm getting this ridiculous stutter even when there is little action going on. That was it for me. Back to XSX.
Same, the stuttering doesn’t seem to be resolvable.

Even the Series X has problems with VRR, right? I had to drop my display to 60hz to get it smooth.

Topher

Gold Member
Same, the stuttering doesn’t seem to be resolvable.

Even the Series X has problems with VRR, right? I had to drop my display to 60hz to get it smooth.

I've noticed the occasional frame rate drop on my VRR TV so I guess so. Not nearly as bad as PC, but it does happen.

Top Bottom