• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy PS5 vs Xbox Series X Ray Tracing Mode Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From VG Tech:

The versions tested were 2.7.2111.121 on Xbox Series X and 1.005.000 on PS5.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in the Ray Tracing Mode both use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2560x1440. Pixel counts were often similar for PS5 and Xbox Series X in the Ray Tracing Mode with one exception found being the opening cutscene where pixel counts came in at approximately 3200x1800 on Series X and 2560x1440 on PS5.

The Ray Tracing Mode adds Ray Traced Reflections. Xbox Series S doesn't have a Ray Tracing Mode.

Stats: https://bit.ly/3EbGbwX

Frames Pixel Counted:
https://bit.ly/3FdC8Bg

Last edited:

mrcroket

I really don't understand what exactly is so taxing of this engine to not run a steady 60 FPS at fixed 1080p on ps5/xsx. Meh.
Maybe some kind of bottleneck that doesn't scale linear with resolution and performance, but yep, it is annoying has hell because I play all PS5 games on 60fps mode... But in this game I need to choice between a shit IQ or a choppy (for me) 30 fps experience. And I never fell comfortable with neither both.

aries_71

A 2060 Super is running this game in my computer at full 60fps, 1440p, raytracing effects to very high and diss in quality.

I was expecting more of this console generation.

assurdum

Banned
Maybe some kind of bottleneck that doesn't scale linear with resolution and performance, but yep, it is annoying has hell because I play all PS5 games on 60fps mode... But in this game I need to choice between a shit IQ or a choppy (for me) 30 fps experience. And I never fell comfortable with neither both.
I think the choice of the engine was really unfortunate. They barely used it and if I'm not wrong the last time was in Deus Ex. They should lead to UE4 or similar.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A 2060 Super is running this game in my computer at full 60fps, 1440p, raytracing effects to very high and diss in quality.

DLSS is what saves it on PC.

The consoles really need an equivalent AI upscaling solution. If only they had gone with Nvidia instead on AMD.

Topher

Gold Member

Ok, but isn't it a known fact that Nvidia's GPUs are superior to AMD when it comes to RT?

Duchess

The consoles really need an equivalent AI upscaling solution. If only they had gone with Nvidia instead on AMD.
Anyone know if PS5 / XSX support AMD Fidelity FX..?

Edit: PS5 has it in a game called Arcadegeddon

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Anyone know if PS5 / XSX support AMD Fidelity FX..?
In this game or in general?
Some games use it, I think the first on the consoles was Arcadegeddon:

ethomaz

Banned
I really don't understand what exactly is so taxing of this engine to not run a steady 60 FPS at fixed 1080p on ps5/xsx. Meh.
In this mode Ray-tracing… either:

- GPU probably can’t render60 frames even at 1080p.
- CPU can’t hold 60fps.

Last edited:

Then they never would have been able to have a single SOC to run the system. There is a reason both MS and Sony stepped away from Nvidia with regard to GPU choice.

mrcroket

Then they never would have been able to have a single SOC to run the system. There is a reason both MS and Sony stepped away from Nvidia with regard to GPU choice.
They can do a custom soc with amd cpu and nvidia gpu if they want, but then the console price would need to be higher and rdna2 is not really bad at all.

Topher

Gold Member

Because Nvidia wasn't willing to accept the low margins last gen that AMD was.

Last edited:

Your NVidia GPU has significantly higher RT performance, even if the RAW raster performance is similar orf lower than the consoles.

mrcroket

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Only the rt 30 mode was choppy to me. The quality mode felt smooth. Rt isn’t worth it in this game anyway

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great turnaround on both consoles. This is a rare game where I had no issue skipping the frame rate mode, as the visuals were so good.

Still find it a bummer that this game is so oddly heavy on resources that they had to drop to 1080p for 60 FPS. If it had a dynamic 1440p/60 FPS, that'd have been an easy choice.

The 2060 supers RT performance is actually on par with the ps5 and xsx in most games.
The 2060 Super includes both NVidia RT cores which accelerate both Ray-Box Intersection tests and BVH traversal (as opposed to AMD's which only do one), as well as Tensor Cores, which are effectively free additional low precision matrix math performance that is non-existent on the console GPUs.

So there's no argument that the RT capability of the 2060 Super isn't significantly superior to the consoles.

If it doesn't present that way on certain games, that's a different issue because it's likely the hardware on the 2060 Super GPU isn't being fully exploited in those cases; which can be pretty typical on PC where devs often won't optimize for one specific GPU unless NVidia/AMD pays them to.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Real bummer that MS has been completely radio silent on Direct ML.

It may end up being a viable thing down the line a few years maybe.

Kuranghi

I prefer the way the non RT reflections look more than half the time, I don't think the scenes were made with it mind, the puddles are awesome but the metal ship surfaces don't look as good artistically even if its technically better. Great game though, really enjoyed my time with it.

Played on PC at 4K30 so don't see the point in trying console since I could do 1440p60 on PC (I think its worth losing the frames for the IQ increase in this game, like Jedi Fallen Order) and RT isn't doing it for me.

Top Bottom