• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Tripolygon

Banned
I guess my point is that the early frames also pull the average frame rate up, but I don't know if that's a good thing, given what we're trying to measure. Do early frames feel as bad as dropped frames, or does one not notice these? As always, grateful for any insight.

avin
It's not really pulling the average framerate up as there is a frame rate cap at 60fps. Early frames are just as bad as a late frame as it appears as micro stutters and torn frame because it is out of sync with the normal refresh rate. Read the link below for a more in-depth explanation.

music video birdman GIF

avin

It's not really pulling the average framerate up as there is a frame rate cap at 60fps. Early frames are just as bad as a late frame as it appears as micro stutters and torn frame because it is out of sync with the normal refresh rate. Read the link below for a more in-depth explanation.

That was great! Thank you, I learned something.

avin

FingerBang

This is the first game in a very long time I'm playing in quality mode just because it looks way better than performance mode.

Luckily, it still plays great at 30fps, but it's still weird that to achieve 60fps you need to go 1/4 of the resolution and cut back on many visual effects

Solid Series X performance in this game.

In Quality mode its pretty damn definitive. Both have excellent fps performance, very much identical, in quality mode. Both again have similar fps performance in 60fps mode, but PS5 has over 5 times more tearing in 60fps mode compared to Series X. Series X and Series S have zero tearing in quality mode. PS5 is pretty minor on the tearing front in quality mode, literally just 2 torn frames, which is nothing.

Based on the results, Series X may maintain at worst a 23% resolution advantage over PS5 with 3200x1800 vs 2880x1620. However, the data showcases that at a point where PS5 is hitting it's lowest resolution, Series X is still not hitting its own low point, and is instead running at a very impressive 3648x2052, which is 90% of a native 4K resolution. That right there is a 60% resolution advantage for Series X over PS5.

3648x2052 is 90% of a native 4K and 2880x1620 is 56% of a native 4K.

This teaches us a lesson, I think, don't let a few videos that focus specifically on fps drops dictate what the game actually performs like. It may be very far from the truth. The stats show both PS5 and Series X actually h ave pretty damn fantastic framerate consistency with minor hitches here and there. And they'll likely optimize further.

Mr Moose

In Quality mode its pretty damn definitive. Both have excellent fps performance, very much identical, in quality mode. Both again have similar fps performance in 60fps mode, but PS5 has over 5 times more tearing in 60fps mode compared to Series X. Series X and Series S have zero tearing in quality mode. PS5 is pretty minor on the tearing front in quality mode, literally just 2 torn frames, which is nothing.

Based on the results, Series X may maintain at worst a 23% resolution advantage over PS5 with 3200x1800 vs 2880x1620. However, the data showcases that at a point where PS5 is hitting it's lowest resolution, Series X is still not hitting its own low point, and is instead running at a very impressive 3648x2052, which is 90% of a native 4K resolution. That right there is a 60% resolution advantage for Series X over PS5.

This teaches us a lesson, I think, don't let a few videos that focus specifically on fps drops dictate what the game actually performs like. It may be very far from the truth. The stats show both PS5 and Series X actually h ave pretty damn fantastic framerate consistency with minor hitches here and there. And they'll likely optimize further.
Outside of the scene at the beginning of the game, pixel counts were similar on PS5 and Xbox Series X with the lowest resolution found on both being 3200x1800.

Didn't see that in the description of the video, but seems he posted a pinned comment, which I just noticed. So that's right. Correction on my part. Lowest he found on PS5 at 30fps outside of that was indeed 1800p, same low point for Series X. It does, however, still imply that in scenes as heavy as the scene in the beginning PS5 is more likely to experience a bigger dip in resolution, since there is much more to the game than just what was tested.

But I do acknowledge my error.

Mr Moose

Didn't see that in the description of the video, but seems he posted a pinned comment, which I just noticed. So that's right. Correction on my part. Lowest he found on PS5 at 30fps outside of that was indeed 1800p, same low point for Series X. It does, however, still imply that in scenes as heavy as the scene in the beginning PS5 is more likely to experience a bigger dip in resolution, since there is much more to the game than just what was tested.

But I do acknowledge my error.
There's times where it's dropping frames in the 60fps mode and there doesn't seem to be anything going on, there's a bit during the 10 minute mark in a pink area where PS5 drops more than X, and later 14-ish minutes in, there's a small room they walk through, nothing happening, and it drops on the X.
Hopefully it can be patched, though if I had a choice I'd pick the 4k mode anyway.

You clearly didn't read VGTech summary, did you? He wrote in all gameplay the resolution is identical between both machines with 1800p as min in both versions. 1620p vs 2052 is only seen once in the opening scene (not gameplay). Also the usual resolution is native 4K on both machines.

Pixel counts at 3840x2160 were common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode. The beginning scene of the game seen at the start of the video is where PS5 in Quality Mode drops to 2880x1620 and the resolution on Xbox Series X in this scene only drops to approximately 3648x2052. Outside of the scene at the beginning of the game, pixel counts were similar on PS5 and Xbox Series X with the lowest resolution found on both being 3200x1800.

Top Bottom