• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Resident Evil 4 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Demo)

kingyala

Banned
Of course, it needs improvement all around. I only think XSS having only ~35% of geometry capabilities of PS5 (including the hardware tesselator being much slower) might play a role.
could be, but it just feels like we are going backwards in tech if tesselation isnt possible on series s on a village corridor game like this, ive been looking at early ps4 games and i honestly think that sony just put the bar too high for other developers to catch up and its just funny that even current console games cant reach that level of qoality and production games like killzone shadowfall, uc4, last 2 or the order produced... if a sony company made this game itll have more of the bells and whistles even on a series s

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was talking based on the video. Haven't played the game on any platform.

The Xbox version has a distinct IQ advantage. They're running similar resolutions and very likely the exact same asset quality but the bad reconstruction or AA on PS5 makes it look muddier and like it's running a lower pixel count. Along with the IQ, the PS5 version also shimmers more in motion.

Left PS5 - Right Series X

or if you're on mobile: Up PS5 - Down Series X.

5quYWQLy_o.png
W9rhOMu1_o.png

Last edited:
The Xbox version has a distinct IQ advantage. They're running similar resolutions and very likely the exact same asset quality but the bad reconstruction or AA on PS5 makes it look muddier and like it's running a lower pixel count. Along with the IQ, the PS5 version also shimmers more in motion.

5quYWQLy_o.png
W9rhOMu1_o.png
It’s too bad the control issue is present on Xbox, the demo was night and day feel wise between the two. Sucks because I have the game pre loaded on Xbox but I don’t want to pay for it when I can get it on PS5 and have the better feeling gameplay

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

jesus christ. they had hair on iirc. vg tech disabled it. hair has the biggest impact on performance. anyone who has played the game knows just how poor it looks on the PS5 performance mode. it is not 1932p even if the counts suggest it is.

these gotchas are lame.

Synless

Framerate is king anyways. Xbox loses that round with all else being equal outside of image. Worse controls too.

I‘ll take the ps5 version and even more so with VR coming.

SlimySnake

Oh shit. El anal de bits guy has the game and did some PS4 Pro and PS5 comparisons. No summary yet so im gonna have to watch this thing.

adamsapple

This is bad lol.

ruFbXsY.jpg

I told you it's hardly 60 FPS in Res mode even with everything turned off :p

VGTech's analysis seems to be from only the slower demo segments, hence they are able to get high 50s most of the time. Any time there's heavy combat, the resolution mode will drop like a rock.

bender

What time is it?

5quYWQLy_o.png
W9rhOMu1_o.png

Leon's also a few inches shorter in the PS5 version.

SlimySnake

I told you it's hardly 60 FPS in Res mode even with everything turned off :p

VGTech's analysis seems to be from only the slower demo segments, hence they are able to get high 50s most of the time. Any time there's heavy combat, the resolution mode will drop like a rock.
yeah, but this guy has hair turned on. I turned off hair, depth of field and motion blur and they all have an impact on the GPU. remember hair alone has a 15% hit on framerate. thats like 7.5 fps for a 60 fps title. motion blur is another 1 FPS. not sure about depth of field, but probably 1 more fps. it adds up!

That said, this area looks far more graphically intensive than the demo area which did drop for me below 60 fps. around 55 fps. though never as low as that.

SlimySnake

Yes but plays terribly. There is NO good way to play this on console and that really sucks! I recommend everyone wait to see if they fix things in the next week or so
Turn off hair, DoF, chromatic abberation, film grain and motion blur on PS5 and play on resolution mode. it looks great and runs not locked, but in the 50s most of the time during action. you wont notice those drops and the IQ is way better than the performance mode.

Trust me, i was going back and forth playing this at native 4k 60 fps on PC and then PS5's resolution mode and while its a bit softer, its relatively clean compared to the atrocious performance version.

Try it out yourself and see if you can tell the drops during the village fight.

SlimySnake

Gotta say. Game looks stunning at night time shots in those clips. Im not surprised its dropping frames like hell because i sure as hell havent seen many games do night time this well. I think cyberpunk and maybe Batman Arkham knight look this good at night.

adamsapple

Update. He did a comparison using the village demo and you can see it hold above 50 fps in non rt resolution mode even with Hair on.

IImVXMi.jpg

Timestamped:

Obviously, this village area isnt the most taxing area like the other one at night, but non RT resolution mode seems to be the way to go if you are willing to turn off hair.

I've been playing with FPS mode and RT on, hair off and it seems to be working great. Later areas in the castle have a lot of reflective surfaces and it might also add volumetric with RT like it did for Village so I'm just leaving them on.

Turn off hair, DoF, chromatic abberation, film grain and motion blur on PS5 and play on resolution mode. it looks great and runs not locked, but in the 50s most of the time during action. you wont notice those drops and the IQ is way better than the performance mode.

Trust me, i was going back and forth playing this at native 4k 60 fps on PC and then PS5's resolution mode and while its a bit softer, its relatively clean compared to the atrocious performance version.

Try it out yourself and see if you can tell the drops during the village fight.

I agree if there is a version to get it's ps5 all day because broken aiming is worse than the iq situation. Yeah all those settings OFF in res mode is the way to go. My dilemma is .. the SX deadzone is way easier to fix than a "broken checkerboard". I wish I thought it looked great. Only thing I havnt tried is turning off motion blur. I typically always have that turned on.

SlimySnake

I've been playing with FPS mode and RT on, hair off and it seems to be working great. Later areas in the castle have a lot of reflective surfaces and it might also add volumetric with RT like it did for Village so I'm just leaving them on.
Interesting. I was worried about that. I will remember to turn on RT when i get to the castle. see no point in the village areas.

did you take any screenshots of the castle area or you not there yet? i would like to see the difference with RT on and off.

adamsapple

Interesting. I was worried about that. I will remember to turn on RT when i get to the castle. see no point in the village areas.

did you take any screenshots of the castle area or you not there yet? i would like to see the difference with RT on and off.

I'm already at the island part now, sorry. But I'm probably gonna be playing this a dozen times in the next couple of days :p and everyone will have access to the game in a few hours so we'll have a lot of direct feed screens coming soon. DF's video will hopefully also be up by the morning.

Lysandros

Update. He did a comparison using the village demo and you can see it hold above 50 fps in non rt resolution mode even with Hair on.

IImVXMi.jpg

Timestamped:

Obviously, this village area isnt the most taxing area like the other one at night, but non RT resolution mode seems to be the way to go if you are willing to turn off hair.

You keep sharing the banned source Slimy. Maybe it would be wise to stop and respect the site's decision.

Arioco

It’s too bad the control issue is present on Xbox, the demo was night and day feel wise between the two. Sucks because I have the game pre loaded on Xbox but I don’t want to pay for it when I can get it on PS5 and have the better feeling gameplay

It should take Capcom like 5 minutes to fix the control issue on XBOX... if they wanted to. Why they shipped the game with an easily fixable issue every player was complaining about after playing the demo is something beyond me. That shimmering problem on PS5 could be something more complicated since it might require some tweaking to the engine or the reconstruction method used, so ok, it could take time and effort, but adjusting a f*cking deadzone? LOL Come on, Capcom!

SlimySnake

You keep sharing the banned source Slimy. Maybe it would be wise to stop and respect the site's decision.
yeah, thats why i didnt create a new thread. But since its just a Playstation only comparison, i figured its all good. I will remove the pixel counts that he typically gets wrong but the rest should not be doctored or anything like that.

SlimySnake

I agree if there is a version to get it's ps5 all day because broken aiming is worse than the iq situation. Yeah all those settings OFF in res mode is the way to go. My dilemma is .. the SX deadzone is way easier to fix than a "broken checkerboard". I wish I thought it looked great. Only thing I havnt tried is turning off motion blur. I typically always have that turned on.
I just tried the demo on my series s and omg it feels awful. I dont think ive ever played a game that controls this bad.

Looks ok in resolution mode on my 1080p tv, but the performance is rough. definitely in the mid 30s.

kingyala

Banned
honestly hair rendering doesnt add anything to gameplay other than kill performance its something for cinematics really

adamsapple

honestly hair rendering doesnt add anything to gameplay other than kill performance its something for cinematics really

Genuinely I don't like the way it looks as well. The standard hair is really well detailed as it is.

RobRSG

Got the Xbox version, happy with it so far.

Controls after some tuning are OK, and the game looks crisp.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm not missing shots at all on xbox, I do hope it gets patched..and there's no excuse for it not to. Mybquestion, is..and I asked before...where is the journalists and digital Foundry asking capcom what's going on and making them aware on the control issue...where is the response from capcom?

I cam play it but it should be a quick fix, surely? Same for the PC version?

darrylgorn

5quYWQLy_o.png
W9rhOMu1_o.png

Just awful.

It's borderline mullet.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I'm not missing shots at all on xbox, I do hope it gets patched..and there's no excuse for it not to. Mybquestion, is..and I asked before...where is the journalists and digital Foundry asking capcom what's going on and making them aware on the control issue...where is the response from capcom?

I cam play it but it should be a quick fix, surely? Same for the PC version?

adamsapple

This is probably gonna sound like an oxymoron, but it really doesn't take a long time to get used to the analog curves of the game. If you are juggling between a few games, then it will probably be harder but I'm only been playing this last 3 days and the controls have become second nature now. Pulling head shots off with near surgical precision.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is probably gonna sound like an oxymoron, but it really doesn't take a long time to get used to the analog curves of the game. If you are juggling between a few games, then it will probably be harder but I'm only been playing this last 3 days and the controls have become second nature now. Pulling head shots off with near surgical precision.

This is how I was in the demo on xbox. Have you changed your settings? What have you switched to?

Cant wait to get on this weekend.

adamsapple

This is how I was in the demo on xbox. Have you changed your settings? What have you switched to?

Cant wait to get on this weekend.

The only thing I've changed between the demo and final is increase the aim acceleration a few notches. It's probably muscle memory by now but I'm having a significantly easier time with combat than with the demo.

Lysandros

No i am with John here, in context of a casual first look, they managed the EXTREMELY tricky deed of spotting a DRS (that nobody else saw) and pixel count a lower resolution figure for PS5 while CASUALLY omitting the performance differencial. So it checks out, he is right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom