• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 Frame Rate Test

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah ok but it's not like the flashlight effect in tlou2 is shit, it is still pretty good and as you said, you notice the difference in some locations where it is absolute dark, and they are not many, i'm not an expert on this stuff but tlou2 torch looks pretty much real time and not much different from remake in the majority of cases.

I think we can argue that both a resolution upgrade and a flashlight effect can be classified as noticeable but not incredible upgrades, don't you think?

Ratchet ps4 to ps5 has much more than that going on, hell even hfw and morales both crossgen have way more differences between the ps4 and ps5 version than a game "made from the ground up on ps5".

We can stop here dude, i guess we have different definitions of big differences between 2 games of different generations.

Do you not see how everything (walls, floor, Ellie) appears to have near uniform light radiance in the TLOU2 video compared to Pt.1? It's almost as if shadows or occlusion don't exist.

Here is another example. Notice how Joel's backside remains completely dark unless an NPC shines their own flashlight on him. Notice how the flashlights all have proper/realistic radiance levels and doesn't overwhelm the scene with excessive lighting. It perfectly captures the intended tone of the scene.

Compare to the Rat King sequence in TLOU2 where Abby's flashlight is the only light source for much (not all) of the time.

Notice how Abby's backside is bouncing light from a nonexistent source. Notice how the police cars, parking pillars, etc. remain dimly visible well outside of the radiance parameters for Abby's flashlight, again this is from a nonexistent source, i.e. baked lighting. Yes, there is light from the ceiling but secondary rays should not be reaching so far out, as evidenced by the pitch black between these objects and the light entering from the ceiling. This is the reason for TLOU2 "muddy" or flat appearance James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford and I are talking about. I am perplexed how such a visual leap in real time GI from TLOU2 to Pt. 1 isn't considered a major leap by so many. This is real time GI taken to a level that TLOU2 never reached. I don't know of another PS5 title that showcases a better demonstration of dynamic lighting.

But sure we can end the discussion if you wish I just enjoy talking about these topics. I'm not angrily arguing or anything like that and I hope you don't think so.

Sosokrates Sosokrates is this not the type of dynamic lighting you were looking for?

Last edited:

Moses85

Yes. They've completely reworked every single asset, they didn't just port their code in the new engine and called it a day.

The new consoles are just not good enough for 4k60 in visually demanding titles, we've known that for a while now.
To be honest its the same engine since tlou original, pumped out..

rofif

Banned

The Last of Us Part 1 frame rate test showing the framerate/fps on PS5 in the 30fps, 40fps and 60fps modes.

The version tested was 1.001.000. The 40fps mode footage was captured at 1080p due to capture card limitations.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Performance Mode
15:07 - 40fps Fidelity Mode
30:16 - 30fps Fidelity Mode

PS5 in performance mode renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440.

PS5 in both fidelity modes renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

On a VRR display it is possible to unlock the performance and fidelity modes which allows the framerate to go above 60fps and 40fps respectively. This isn't shown in the video here due to capture card limitations.

PlatformsPerformance Mode40fps Fidelity Mode30fps Fidelity Mode
Frame Amounts
Game Frames542143435427122
Video Frames5436610892254379
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216010802160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.71ms26.42ms33.42ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms25ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms66.67ms66.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms25ms33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.83fps37.85fps29.93fps
Median Frame Rate60fps40fps30fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps40fps30fps
Minimum Frame Rate50fps26fps26fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate59fps31fps29fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate53fps29fps29fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms54062 (99.72%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
25ms0 (0%)28721 (83.6%)0 (0%)
33.33ms152 (0.28%)5471 (15.93%)27033 (99.67%)
41.67ms0 (0%)116 (0.34%)0 (0%)
50ms0 (0%)31 (0.09%)43 (0.16%)
58.33ms0 (0%)11 (0.03%)0 (0%)
66.67ms0 (0%)4 (0.01%)46 (0.17%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

I think the spread sheet with useless information should be bigger said no one ever.
Wtf is with this crazy amount of data? Runt time? 10000 video frames. Lol. Just give fps. Just fps…..
Anyway the bad 40fps mode is why I am skeptic about console game modes. It shouldn’t be there. 30 + vrr does the same thing.

And performance mode looks like ass. Why nobody is saying how blurry it is. Or notice the outline sharpen in 4k mode

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do you not see how everything (walls, floor, Ellie) appears to have near uniform light radiance in the TLOU2 video compared to Pt.1? It's almost as if shadows or occlusion don't exist.

Here is another example. Notice how Joel's backside remains completely dark unless an NPC shines their own flashlight on him. Notice how the flashlights all have proper/realistic radiance levels and doesn't overwhelm the scene with excessive lighting. It perfectly captures the intended tone of the scene.

Compare to the Rat King sequence in TLOU2 where Abby's flashlight is the only light source for much (not all) of the time.

Notice how Abby's backside is bouncing light from a nonexistent source. Notice how the police cars, parking pillars, etc. remain dimly visible well outside of the radiance parameters for Abby's flashlight, again this is from a nonexistent source, i.e. baked lighting. Yes, there is light from the ceiling but secondary rays should not be reaching so far out, as evidenced by the pitch black between these objects and the light entering from the ceiling. This is the reason for TLOU2 "muddy" or flat appearance James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford and I are talking about. I am perplexed how such a visual leap in real time GI from TLOU2 to Pt. 1 isn't considered a major leap by so many. This is real time GI taken to a level that TLOU2 never reached. I don't know of another PS5 title that showcases a better demonstration of dynamic lighting.

But sure we can end the discussion if you wish I just enjoy talking about these topics. I'm not angrily arguing or anything like that and I hope you don't think so.

Sosokrates Sosokrates is this not the type of dynamic lighting you were looking for?

Yeah, it is better to end the discussion because we clearly have different definitions of what constitute a generational change in a game.

If i need df or someone to tell me why the flashlight is better or people thinking that res bump and a very slightly improvement to assets is a game changer then we really have nothing to discuss.

For the sawyer dude, Demons could very look worse than remake (not sure how many people share this opinion since demons is considered the best looking game by many) but the difference between old gen ds3 and next gen demons are way beyond the differences between tlou 2 and remake and this is why i spoke about it, and if it is true that ds3 start from a way worse baseline, we also know that bluepoint are not exactly as talented with graphic nor have the same manpower and budget than Naughy fucking dog so the expectations are wildly different.

Also demons may be lose in terms of characters, but the texture work is way more even, you barely find something that looks bad or low res while remake is still full choke of low res and low poly stuff all around because it clearly still is a polished version of tlou2 and not a complete new nextgen game.
It was pretty clear yesterday when you i was in the hotel and there is a room with a body inside a bathroom and ellie and joel have a dedicated dialogue about it, and the corpse was badly low poly and worse looking than the random dried out cadavers you find inside the cars in days gone, a fucking ps4 open world...

This whole discussion is gonna look rather silly when nd is gonna show their real first nextgen game.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

What are refering too?
Ive commented on tlour's lighting on faces which i think is a nice improvement over last gen ND games.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah, it is better to end the discussion because we clearly have different definitions of what constitute a generational change in a game.

If i need df or someone to tell me why the flashlight is better or people thinking that res bump and a very slightly improvement to assets is a game changer then we really have nothing to discuss.

For the sawyer dude, Demons could very look worse than remake (not sure how many people share this opinion since demons is considered the best looking game by many) but the difference between old gen ds3 and next gen demons are way beyond the differences between tlou 2 and remake and this is why i spoke about it, and if it is true that ds3 start from a way worse baseline, we also know that bluepoint are not exactly as talented with graphic nor have the same manpower and budget than Naughy fucking dog so the expectations are wildly different.

Also demons may be lose in terms of characters, but the texture work is way more even, you barely find something that looks bad or low res while remake is still full choke of low res and low poly stuff all around because it clearly still is a polished version of tlou2 and not a complete new nextgen game.
It was pretty clear yesterday when you i was in the hotel and there is a room with a body inside a bathroom and ellie and joel have a dedicated dialogue about it, and the corpse was badly low poly and worse looking than the random dried out cadavers you find inside the cars in days gone, a fucking ps4 open world...

This whole discussion is gonna look rather silly when nd is gonna show their real first nextgen game.

Why would it look silly? Future games from PS Studios will undoubtedly eclipse TLOU Pt.1, as well as your precious Demon's Souls. That is to be expected as developers become more familiar with the hardware. This happens every generation. That doesn't take anything away from the technical merits of DS or Pt. 1 as they are games released earlier in the generation.

What are refering too?
Ive commented on tlour's lighting on faces which i think is a nice improvement over last gen ND games.

iirc we had a discussion about your wish for the remake to have real time GI and less reliance on static lighting. That is what my previous post was comparing the improvement in dynamic environmental lighting from Pt.1 vs Pt.2 with comparisons of very similar scenes.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Why would it look silly? Future games from PS Studios will undoubtedly eclipse TLOU Pt.1, as well as your precious Demon's Souls. That is to be expected as developers become more familiar with the hardware. This happens every generation. That doesn't take anything away from the technical merits of DS or Pt. 1 as they are games released earlier in the generation.

iirc we had a discussion about your wish for the remake to have real time GI and less reliance on static lighting. That is what my previous post was comparing the improvement in dynamic environmental lighting from Pt.1 vs Pt.2 with comparisons of very similar scenes.

Yeah, real-time would of been ideal, but they did such a great job with pre calculated that im happy.

GymWolf

Dude don't say my precious demons, i don't even consider that game graphically better than hfw or ratchet and i was literally saying to slimy how the models in tlou2 (so same for remake) trash the human models of demons in this very topic, i only used that game to prove a point, don't be salty about it.

I am not sure if the difference is bigger. DS3 is a PS4 game. DS Remake is a PS5 game. TLOU1 looks worse than DS3 (imho....) so the gap is bigger to me. Now if you compare DS PS5 to DS PS3, then sure, it's a bigger gap. But I am not sure why the gap is as relevant as what the end product looks like.

Bluepoint ARE talented with graphics....when have they not been? Their SOTC remake still looks amazing, visually.

I am not sure if the texture work is more even in DS. There are low poly and low texture areas in DS as well. I certainly don't think TLOU Part 1 is THAT inconsistent. It looks pretty good overall, and sure you could nitpick some things just like you could DS.

I have no doubt that TLOU Part 1 isn't anywhere near what PS5 is capable of. It's not a true Ground up next gen game. But it still DOES take advantage of next gen. We should be seeing way more impressive things in the coming years and no doubt ND will lead the charge as long as they have good technical talent still

Top Bottom