• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 Frame Rate Test

modiz

Then just about every AAA game released on XSX and PS5 this gen is unacceptable because they do not run native 4K? I'm just saying....this ain't new.
Nah, what's new though is that such a "banger" from ND can't hit native 4k and doesn't have a mode with stable fps.

Dolomite

jay z GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Nah, what's new though is that such a "banger" from ND can't hit native 4k and doesn't have a mode with stable fps.

Performance mode has a stable fps. That's the mode I'm currently playing it in. How about you?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What ? PS5 can't get the game at 4k 60 frames ? It's friggin last of us 2 engine.... Wtf how lazy this remake is ?

Jfc. Poor ass job at its best. If it's a real remake the graphics would have been much better. Just like Shadow of the Colossus was..but this is last of us 1 being ported to last of us 2 engine.

Not acceptable

4K60 is 8x the pixels/seconds compared to 1080p30. The PS5 does not have 8x the raw GPU power of the PS4.

Once they make a proper PS5 game that stresses the GPU more I expect we won't even get 4K30 or 1440p60, but something lower that's upscaled.

Last edited:

Markio128

4K60 is 8x the pixels/seconds compared to 1080p30. The PS5 does not have 8x the raw GPU power of the PS4.
And even if it did, the PS4 version is missing various graphical features included in the remake; better shadows, lighting, reflections…. I’m pretty certain the PS5 could run the PS4 version in 4K 60fps.

tommib

Perhaps, at a low resolution and 30fps. I think you overestimate what this hardware can do, the Matrix demo is a good indication of what we stand to lose for higher fidelity.
People will be crashing down hard when they realize games won’t look much better than what they do. Yes, we’ll have the late-gen hyper-detailed Red Dead 3 and whatever Naughty Dog will release in 7 years. Those are games that will look better because of man hours and money but the “standard” AAA will not move drastically. This generation is all about pushing resolution and frames.

The Matrix demo ran at an abysmal performance and at 1080p. That thing stutters more than a nerd virgin with a hooker his father paid for.

People have unrealistic expectations regarding graphics and seem obsessed with trolling every release this generation has seen. Next victim is Resident Evil 4 remake.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And even if it did, the PS4 version is missing various graphical features included in the remake; better shadows, lighting, reflections…. I’m pretty certain the PS5 could run the PS4 version in 4K 60fps.

I don't think the PS5 could just run the PS4 version at a straight native 4K60, not without drops. Again, the difference in the amount of pixels that need to be rendered per second is just a bit too large, even with RDNA2 being more efficient than GCN.

But yes, you're also right about there being some improvements that surely make it even less feasible.

Edit: Oh, you mean the PS4 remaster. Yeah, that would be doable I'm sure. I thought you meant TLOU2.

Last edited:

Markio128

I don't think the PS5 could just run the PS4 version at a straight native 4K60, not without drops. Again, the difference in the amount of pixels that need to be rendered per second is just a bit too large, even with RDNA2 being more efficient than GCN.

But yes, you're also right about there being some improvements that surely make it even less feasible.

Edit: Oh, you mean the PS4 remaster. Yeah, that would be doable I'm sure. I thought you meant TLOU2.
We’ll never know. But the question is (from a visual standpoint): would you rather have the PS4 version @ 4K 60, or the PS5 version @ 1440 60?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Perhaps, at a low resolution and 30fps. I think you overestimate what this hardware can do, the Matrix demo is a good indication of what we stand to lose for higher fidelity.

The Matrix demo isn't an indication of much tbh. People will finally forget about that demo (thank god) once Spider-Man 2 gameplay releases.

I don't think the PS5 could just run the PS4 version at a straight native 4K60, not without drops.

Well pt.1 runs comfortably locked 4k in 30s with enhanced visuals across the board. I'd be shocked if it TLOU2 as is couldn't run stable 4k60. Although I don't think we'll ever see that patch considering the rumored director's cut.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Matrix demo isn't an indication of much tbh. People will finally forget about that demo (thank god) once Spider-Man 2 gameplay releases.

Well pt.1 runs comfortably locked 4k in 30s with enhanced visuals across the board. I'd be shocked if it TLOU2 as is couldn't run stable 4k60. Although I don't think we'll ever see that patch considering the rumored director's cut.

TLOU1 (remake) doesn't look THAT much better than TLOU2, and struggles to maintain 30fps (it drops below it quite a bit, and the 40fps mode seems almost useless). So I do really doubt that TLOU2 could run at twice the framerate at the same resolution.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Once they make a proper PS5 game that stresses the GPU more I expect we won't even get 4K30 or 1440p60, but something lower that's upscaled.

you might see some drops but several games have received native 4k 60 fps modes on the PS5. Death Stranding and Spiderman are perfect examples.

10.23 * 1.5 IPC gains from GCN to RDNA = 15.34 tflops

15.34 / 1.84 PS4 tflops = 8.33.

Thats the GPU alone. The PS4 was held back by a 1.6 GHz CPU which forced the GPU to work even harder part of the reason why they couldnt just reduce the GPU budget by half by reducing resolution to 720p in order to offer a 60 fps mode. Mods had to drop the resolution all the way down to 560p to get 60 fps which is basically 1/4th the pixels of 1080p. With literally an 8x boost in CPU power, they should have had no issues pushing an 8x higher pixel budget. Death Stranding has some drops and Spiderman uses DRS to mask drops, but both use way higher quality textures, LOD and other visual effects. DS is running the highest PC settings, not medium like the original game does and manages to hit a 60 fps in the native 4k mode during open world sections dropping only in boss fights and some cutscenes. Their 1800p 60 fps version which pushes roughly a 6x higher pixel budget runs at a silky smooth framerate. The fact that TLOU is targeting at 1440p 60 fps which isnt evena 4x increase in pixel budget is bizarre and unacceptable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We’ll never know. But the question is (from a visual standpoint): would you rather have the PS4 version @ 4K 60, or the PS5 version @ 1440 60?

Obviously the PS5 version. It looks much, much better, and 1440p vs 4K doesn't bother me that much, I don't sit close enough to my TV for it to make a huge difference (I need to get a larger TV lol).

Last edited:

Skifi28

Both the 60 and 30fps modes seem to be very stable. Are we now making a fuss about the two specific corridors?

The demo is a good indication because UE5 and its assorted features will be something many high budget games will use in the near future. As for Spiderman 2, I wish I could share your optimism for something grand, but I expect a small improvement over Miles which is good enough in my book. I just don't see where they will find the headroom to go for something beyond, maybe if they dropped RT.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
you might see some drops but several games have received native 4k 60 fps modes on the PS5. Death Stranding and Spiderman are perfect examples.

10.23 * 1.5 IPC gains from GCN to RDNA = 15.34 tflops

15.34 / 1.84 PS4 tflops = 8.33.

Thats the GPU alone. The PS4 was held back by a 1.6 GHz CPU which forced the GPU to work even harder part of the reason why they couldnt just reduce the GPU budget by half by reducing resolution to 720p in order to offer a 60 fps mode. Mods had to drop the resolution all the way down to 560p to get 60 fps which is basically 1/4th the pixels of 1080p. With literally an 8x boost in CPU power, they should have had no issues pushing an 8x higher pixel budget. Death Stranding has some drops and Spiderman uses DRS to mask drops, but both use way higher quality textures, LOD and other visual effects. DS is running the highest PC settings, not medium like the original game does and manages to hit a 60 fps in the native 4k mode during open world sections dropping only in boss fights and some cutscenes. Their 1800p 60 fps version which pushes roughly a 6x higher pixel budget runs at a silky smooth framerate. The fact that TLOU is targeting at 1440p 60 fps which isnt evena 4x increase in pixel budget is bizarre and unacceptable.

Sure, the point about not having to offload as much CPU work to GPU compute is a good one, but that would require some pretty major reworking of the engine I suspect. That obviously hasn't been done with TLOU1, it's clearly running on a pretty straight port of the PS4 TLOU2 engine, as evidenced by the low resolution at 60fps, no DRS, very long load times (compared to proper PS5 game engines), etc.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Why are you lying?

I played through the whole game in unlocked performance/VRR mode and it was buttery smooth the entire time. If it ever dipped below 60FPs I never noticed and usually when I checked the TV overlay said it was >70.

If you want 4K, you can get a rock solid 30.

They made the best looking game I’ve ever seen and provided multiple modes to suit everyone’s preferences, and yet people still want to bitch and moan?

Markio128

Not built from the ground up for ps5 no. TLOUP2 looks equal or sometimes better than this. Horizon 2 looks better than this and is a massive open world.
I’m just grateful that there are a plethora of amazing looking games on PS5. However, I don’t agree with your opinion on TLOUP2; this remake is a definite step up in visual quality.

SlimySnake

Sure, the point about the not having to offload as much CPU work to GPU compute is a good one, but that would requiring some pretty major reworking of the engine. That obviously hasn't been done with TLOU1, it's clearly running on a pretty straight port of the PS4 TLOU2 engine, as evidenced by the low resolution at 60fps, no DRS, very long load times (compared to proper PS5 game engines), etc.
Yeah, thats what I was initially replying to. That the engine was a straight port of the TLOU2 engine with no PS5 improvement taking advantage of multithreading and IO. Some guy said that was a bad take.

DS probably works because KojiPro had created a fantastic PC version that was running at 4k 120 fps using DLSS. They ported that version to PS5 and that likely had no such CPU bottlenecks.

Last edited:

Banned
It's useless even with VRR. It's need to be locked like other 40 fps games in my opinion.

Also, disappointing that the previous Remaster runs at 1800p and 60 fps versus 'just' 1440p and 60 fps in this new version. Sure, the new game is visually richer but it is still strange to see a newer version of a game running at a lower resolution than an older one.

it's not completely useless as it will turn off Vsync which should reduce input lag

GymWolf

People will be crashing down hard when they realize games won’t look much better than what they do. Yes, we’ll have the late-gen hyper-detailed Red Dead 3 and whatever Naughty Dog will release in 7 years. Those are games that will look better because of man hours and money but the “standard” AAA will not move drastically. This generation is all about pushing resolution and frames.

The Matrix demo ran at an abysmal performance and at 1080p. That thing stutters more than a nerd virgin with a hooker his father paid for.

People have unrealistic expectations regarding graphics and seem obsessed with trolling every release this generation has seen. Next victim is Resident Evil 4 remake.
If a crossgen game like hfw or a relatively small project like ratchet can look that good on the first year of lifespan, i think we are gonna see good things when we are gonna be free from the crossgen bullshit.

Wolverine, hellblade 2, stalker 2, probably spidey 2 aswell are gonna look pretty great.

But yeah i expect for the usual suspect to really bring out the goods, ND, rockstar, guerrilla, santa monica and the M counterparts (although i believe sony studios are more talented graphic wise).

SlimySnake

But VRR isn't even supported below 48hz. Or does the game actually output at 80hz in that case (i.e. every frame is displayed twice)?
Apparently they implemented custom LFC below 48 fps all the way down to 24 fps similar to Insomniac did with Spiderman and Ratchet since the PS5 doesnt support native LFC support below 48 fps.

Better where? I don't think I'll ever understand this position. Lighting in particular is a clear step above TLOU2. Light bounces are far more accurate than TLOU2. There's a reason why framerate tanks often when flashlight is in use.

Most people in here clearly haven't played both games on the same setup.
They are just juding by reviews and youtube videos.

I've played both titles on the same PS5 and TV.
TLOU Part I looks better then TLOU Part II

GymWolf

Better where? I don't think I'll ever understand this position. Lighting in particular is a clear step above TLOU2. Light bounces are far more accurate than TLOU2. There's a reason why framerate tanks often when flashlight is in use.
I don't think tlou 2 looks better, except some locations that are inherently more beatiful\evocative like the flaming village, the first time you met the baldies, the part with the boat, when you enter the jungle with the horse etc, or the amount of unique animations that vastly destroy joel moveset or the level design composition that is way bolder and realistic than the arena looking levels of remake (at least most of them), except that remake looks better yeah.

But it is also true that the remake doesn't looks MUCH better than 2, it really feels like tlou2 in 4k, bouncing lights are not something that many people care or even notice, i mean many people can't notice rtx that are even more advanced than anything the remake use...

Bouncing lights are the type of stuff that console players always use to troll pc players and their ultra settings, you can show tlou 2 and tlou remake to 100 persons and barely anyone is gonna notice the fucking bouncing lights (and i'm mostly a pc player)

And even if the assets are reworked, there is still a lot of ugly\low poly\res stuff around that scream last gen, the difference between a dark souls 3 and demons remake this is not.

It still looks better than majority of games, but so does tlou2, this was never the point of discussion and really a stupid thing to say to prove a point tbh, we barely had any nextgen game since tlou2, it is only natural that even a slight upgrade would look glorious in 2022.

And i played both games on a c1, not exactly a slouch tv.

I don't like to antagonize other members, but i feel like i'm being trolled by anyone who says that remake is a BIG upgrade over 2, it is a noticeable upgrade because 4k is clearly better than 1440p to whoever has working eyes so noticeable is not wrong, but anything more than noticeable is an exageration.

Last edited:

squarealex

They didn't reuse the vast majority of assets from The Last of Us Part II when as far as graphical assets go.

Bald-faced lie.

Play The Last of Us Part II and look at the draw distance. The foilage and character models look very low quality in many instances from afar this has been improved in The Last of Us Part II.

Your statement was completely false.

TLOUp2 have larger area and arenas in addition to being much more vertical than the first game. background are much varied (obviously much longer)
In addition, the AI is more developed and has more enemies (dogs, more infected, seraphites) The game is much more gory and has many more interior and exterior area...
Even if TLOUp1 is "a bit more beautiful", TLOUp2 is technically more impressive..

TLOUp1 have a skeleton PS3 game and is unnaceptable is runing with same performance than TLOUp2 PS4 Version.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll play on performance mode but I hope they can get their skills on the engine under control. Shit should be practically locked framerate or you're doing it wrong. Didn't expect this from ND to be honest. I think they've shed too much staff and they aren't the studio they once were.

A few podcasts have mentioned how they've basically chewed through every professional game dev in the bay area and VFX peeps that's why they had to hire movie VFX artists for last of us part 2.

Insomniac stays winning.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don't think tlou 2 looks better, except some locations that are inherently more beatiful\evocative like the flaming village, the first time you met the baldies, the part with the boat, when you enter the jungle with the horse etc, or the amount of unique animations that vastly destroy joel moveset or the level design composition that is way bolder and realistic than the arena looking levels of remake (at least most of them), except that remake looks better yeah.

But it is also true that the remake doesn't looks MUCH better than 2, it really feels like tlou2 in 4k, bouncing lights are not something that many people care or even notice, i mean many people can't notice rtx that are even more advanced than anything the remake use...

Bouncing lights are the type of stuff that console players always use to troll pc players and their ultra settings, you can show tlou 2 and tlou remake to 100 persons and barely anyone is gonna notice the fucking bouncing lights (and i'm mostly a pc player)

And even if the assets are reworked, there is still a lot of ugly\low poly\res stuff around that scream last gen, the difference between a dark souls 3 and demons remake this is not.

It still looks better than majority of games, but so does tlou2, this was never the point of discussion and really a stupid thing to say to prove a point tbh, we barely had any nextgen game since tlou2, it is only natural that even a slight upgrade would look glorious in 2022.

And i played both games on a c1, not exactly a slouch tv.

I don't like to antagonize other members, but i feel like i'm being trolled by anyone who says that remake is a BIG upgrade over 2, it is a noticeable upgrade because 4k is clearly better than 1440p to whoever has working eyes so noticeable is not wrong, but anything more than noticeable is an exageration.

Since when has indirect lighting been an afterthought as opposed to the holy grail of real time graphics? Also, I'm not familiar with the PC vs console issue surrounding indirect lighting. I would assume PC has a much easier time with the computation resulting in much better performance.

The reason why the flashlight is so impressive for me here is because in many environments such as the sewers and basement, it is the only source of light and it's 100% controlled by the player. Without it, the entire scene is virtually pitch black. This is basically real time GI and the results are very realistic beyond anything we've seen in TLOU2. In TLOU2, you often have indoor lighting coming from an invisible source, even in dark settings.

So no, the big difference for me isn't 4k vs 1440p (I've completed Pt. 1 using both modes). It's been mostly the difference in lighting.

GymWolf

Since when has indirect lighting been an afterthought as opposed to the holy grail of real time graphics? Also, I'm not familiar with the PC vs console issue surrounding indirect lighting. I would assume PC has a much easier time with the computation resulting in much better performance.

The reason why the flashlight is so impressive for me here is because in many environments such as the sewers and basement, it is the only source of light and it's 100% controlled by the player. Without it, the entire scene is virtually pitch black. This is basically real time GI and the results are very realistic beyond anything we've seen in TLOU2. In TLOU2, you often have indoor lighting coming from an invisible source, even in dark settings.

So no, the big difference for me isn't 4k vs 1440p (I've completed Pt. 1 using both modes). It's been mostly the difference in lighting.
Yeah i don't know if a better flashlight effect in a couple of dark locations or even the resolution upgrade that i noticed are what i call big improvements coming from ps4 to ps5.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah i don't know if a better flashlight effect in a couple of dark locations or even the resolution upgrade that i noticed are what i call big improvements coming from ps4 to ps5.

Yes, a "flashlight effect" that cuts performance by 20%. Nothing interesting to see there.

They'd have to lower visual fidelity to reach 4k60 and then people would complain that the game's visuals are not good enough and it's just a res bump. Developers really can't win.

You need a 3070ti level of gpu for cutting edge visuals at 4k60 which the new consoles clearly don't have, it's been that way since launch and it ain't changing any time soon. People need to accept it.

No you don't what.

PS5 may have some issues but Xbox Series X seems to be handling 4k 60fps better than the PS5 and that's between a 3060 and a 2070 Super JI+

I think that the new Forza Motorsport will be the benchmark that's going to change how this generations going to play out in regards to graphics.

Forza Motorsport reboot promises native 4K graphics with 60fps performance, latest HDR, all the current top graphical features, and Real-Time Raytracing everywhere during gameplay. They also promise that for the Series S to a lesser degree, of course at 1080p 60fps instead of 4k.

I think that's when things will really get interesting, it will be the first major game with all the cool graphical features without compromising somewhere else.

GymWolf

Yes, a "flashlight effect" that cuts performance by 20%. Nothing interesting to see there.
Ehm...do you wanna know how much resources you lose going from 1440p to 4k? because i'm pretty sure it's more than 20%, we are not measuring that here, on pc you have effects that completely kills performance like going from very high to ultra with minimal visual differences.

Sorry if a flashlight effect is not exactly what i call a major difference dude, why are we even discussing such a thing? again, i feel like i'm being trolled...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ehm...do you wanna know how much resources you lose going from 1440p to 4k? because i'm pretty sure it's more than 20%, we are not measuring that here, on pc you have effects that completely kills performance like going from very high to ultra with minimal visual differences.

Sorry if a flashlight effect is not exactly what i call a major difference dude, why are we even discussing such a thing? again, i feel like i'm being trolled...

Lol why are we discussing? Because this "flashlight effect" dictates how entire scenes are lit. We are discussing because it revolves around lighting, arguably the most important element for achieving photorealism.

I mean really, who is trolling who here?

GymWolf

Lol why are we discussing? Because this "flashlight effect" dictates how entire scenes are lit. We are discussing because it revolves around lighting, arguably the most important element for achieving photorealism.

I mean really, who is trolling who here?
Yeah ok but it's not like the flashlight effect in tlou2 is shit, it is still pretty good and as you said, you notice the difference in some locations where it is absolute dark, and they are not many, i'm not an expert on this stuff but tlou2 torch looks pretty much real time and not much different from remake in the majority of cases.

I think we can argue that both a resolution upgrade and a flashlight effect can be classified as noticeable but not incredible upgrades, don't you think?

Ratchet ps4 to ps5 has much more than that going on, hell even hfw and morales both crossgen have way more differences between the ps4 and ps5 version than a game "made from the ground up on ps5".

We can stop here dude, i guess we have different definitions of big differences between 2 games of different generations.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They aren’t trolling you. They truly believe that.

Just move on. We live in a reality where you can’t trust your eyes anymore.

There is a YouTuber i really like and follow on Twitter. He loves the remake and quoted an image showing broken glass shards sticking out of an enemy character’s face. It was supposed to show how much improved this game was over tlou2. When i pointed out that tlou2 had the same exact thing, no reply. I’m convinced everyone hated tlou2 and never replayed it. It has some stunning looking areas and massive environments to boot. People need to revisit that game and pay close attention to the hundreds of different animations both Abby and Ellie have while fighting. None of them are in the remake.

GymWolf

They aren’t trolling you. They truly believe that.

Just move on. We live in a reality where you can’t trust your eyes anymore.

There is a YouTuber i really like and follow on Twitter. He loves the remake and quoted an image showing broken glass shards sticking out of an enemy character’s face. It was supposed to show how much improved this game was over tlou2. When i pointed out that tlou2 had the same exact thing, no reply. I’m convinced everyone hated tlou2 and never replayed it. It has some stunning looking areas and massive environments to boot. People need to revisit that game and pay close attention to the hundreds of different animations both Abby and Ellie have while fighting. None of them are in the remake.
Yeah tlou2 is the way better game, i don't give a fuck about ND stories or writing so i can judge the games for their merits outside of narrative, tlou only beats tlou 2 for having a better pacing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOUp2 have larger area and arenas in addition to being much more vertical than the first game. background are much varied (obviously much longer)
In addition, the AI is more developed and has more enemies (dogs, more infected, seraphites) The game is much more gory and has many more interior and exterior area...
Even if TLOUp1 is "a bit more beautiful", TLOUp2 is technically more impressive..

TLOUp1 have a skeleton PS3 game and is unnaceptable is runing with same performance than TLOUp2 PS4 Version.
This isn't about what's technically more impressive, this is about the graphical detail.

Stooky

Both the 60 and 30fps modes seem to be very stable. Are we now making a fuss about the two specific corridors?

The demo is a good indication because UE5 and its assorted features will be something many high budget games will use in the near future. As for Spiderman 2, I wish I could share your optimism for something grand, but I expect a small improvement over Miles which is good enough in my book. I just don't see where they will find the headroom to go for something beyond, maybe if they dropped RT.
Its a nice demo on an early build of UE5. Not a good indicator of performance. It will get better as UE5 matures.

Last edited:
It's pretty crazy to me that it dips to the mid 30s even in the quieter sections. I thought DF said the drops only happen when you shoot a gun or get into combat.

I even saw it dip below 30 fps in one section. No idea what this studio is doing tbh. DRS wouldve helped here.

KojiPro saw that native 4k 60 fps was not locked during cutscenes and boss fights so they offered an 1800p 60 fps mode. Then offered a wider FOV but native 4k mode widescreen mode at a locked 60 fps. Played through all the game in that and loved every second. Just thinking outside the box. ND seems to be lagging behind other Sony studios at the moment. This is simply not good enough.
The native 4k mode in death stranding is the only way to play on vrr scenes

Thats not true look at stray

TLOU2 in 4K with better textures and lighting makes a HUGE difference though. TLOU2 is so ridiculously soft and muddy looking in comparison. TLOU1 is crisp and the texture detail pops a lot more.

Demons Souls being brought up but that game has very last gen looking character models. It's a lovely looking game, but TLOU1 is better looking, period.

I place TLOU1 on nearly the same level as Ratchet and Horizon. Really hard for me to tell which is the best looking game on the market right now.

No you don't what.

PS5 may have some issues but Xbox Series X seems to be handling 4k 60fps better than the PS5 and that's between a 3060 and a 2070 Super JI+

I think that the new Forza Motorsport will be the benchmark that's going to change how this generations going to play out in regards to graphics.

Forza Motorsport reboot promises native 4K graphics with 60fps performance, latest HDR, all the current top graphical features, and Real-Time Raytracing everywhere during gameplay. They also promise that for the Series S to a lesser degree, of course at 1080p 60fps instead of 4k.

I think that's when things will really get interesting, it will be the first major game with all the cool graphical features without compromising somewhere else.
It’s between a 3060 and 2070 súper in rt but in raster it’s higher

Top Bottom