• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Switch Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The version tested was 1.1.1. Footage is from the game running in docked mode on a Mariko Switch.

Docked mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720.

Portable mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1280x720 and the lowest resolution found being 1024x576.

Portable mode doesn't seem to be using any anti-aliasing and docked mode appears to be using a form of post-process anti-aliasing.

PlatformsSwitch
Frame Amounts
Game Frames31474
Video Frames64175
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0
Lowest Torn Line-
Frame Height1080
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time33.98ms
Median Frame Time33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time50ms
Minimum Frame Time33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time50ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate29.43fps
Median Frame Rate30fps
Maximum Frame Rate30fps
Minimum Frame Rate20fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate24fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate20fps
Frame Time Counts
33.33ms30247 (96.1%)
50ms1227 (3.9%)

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Framerate is really bad, I really wish Nintendo had better hardware

Game is amazing though

m1xYmL1.png

Not had a chance to watch the video yet and people probably already know this but disabling the sage buddies improves performance a bit as the game chugs when doing transparency effects when they're up close to the camera.

BlackTron

I'm really interested in what kind of res and frames you get with a hacked launch Switch vs Mariko but haven't been able to get any solid info.

I know the Mariko is way better but the v1 is easier to hack and I don't know the difference. I mean if an old Switch can play this game at 60fps I might be tempted to finally hack mine. I somewhat doubt it's a great idea for this purpose because Mariko has so much extra untapped power without having to break a sweat.

Little Mac

Gold Member
We need new hardware. It's ruining the experience these high quality games provide. Hopefully a switch with a little more power gets announced soon.

Robb

Gold Member
I can definitely tell when it starts to chug, happens more often than I remember it doing in BotW as well tbh.

Definitely nothing game-breaking by any means, but still.. Would’ve been nice if those Switch Pro rumors had come to fruition.

Hopefully we’ll get their next gen system next year.

Last edited:

Eotheod

I'm really interested in what kind of res and frames you get with a hacked launch Switch vs Mariko but haven't been able to get any solid info.

I know the Mariko is way better but the v1 is easier to hack and I don't know the difference. I mean if an old Switch can play this game at 60fps I might be tempted to finally hack mine. I somewhat doubt it's a great idea for this purpose because Mariko has so much extra untapped power without having to break a sweat.
Apparently this runs through that exact scenario https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...lda-tears-of-the-kingdom-performance-analysis

Mr.Phoenix

I am beginning to consider not using a switch to play my switch games.

I am just put off by all the tinkering I may have to do.

coffinbirth

If you've ever jailbroken a device. you already know half the process. Then it's just getting your keys and games into the emulator. It takes very little effort, assuming you have a v1 or chipped Switch, an hour of your time to set stuff up, and target hardware that's up to the task. Personally, I still tend to play games that run well and look nice in handheld mode, but for something like TotK (that is perfectly serviceable in handheld mode) I need a little more juice to make it look good on my 65" TV, ya know?

If you have a beefy system, you can get TotK to run in 4K@60FPS with some mods. If you have something like an 11th gen 8 core or better with a 30xx card, you're probably locked. If you have a lesser system, 1080p@60FPS is still a significant upgrade.

- Ryujinx emulator 1.1.819
- Ignore Missing Services: ON
- Rendering API: Vulkan
- Enable vSync: ON
- Enable PPTC: ON
- Enable FS Integrity Checks: ON
- Audio Backend: OpenAL
- Memory Manager Mode: Host unchecked
- Enable Shader Cache: ON
- Anisotropic Filtering: AUTO
- Resolution Scale: 2x - Graphics Backend Multithreading: AUTO

Even if you haven't jailbroken a device or set up an emulator before, it's all very easy. If that all sounds like it is too much tinkering for you, watch a video or read a few tutorials on the subject and it will reveal itself to be pretty straightforward. I like to tinker with things, so maybe I'm not the best to judge the difficulty level, but I can certainly tell you the results are well worth it!

BlackTron

Thanks! That was really useful but still only half the story. It did confirm my v1 Switch will not play the game at 60fps -didn't think so. But, they didn't test a Mariko and said to take claims that it can run it at 60 with a "gigantic sack of salt". I'd still like to see this actually confirmed/demonstrated.

I mean if a modded Mariko REALLY WILL play this game at 1080/60. That's REALLY TEMPTING to go through all the hassle. It's not easy to search for online though because you will get so many results about emulating the game.

BlackTron

The downer is that a big draw of Nintendo games is the pick up and play approach. Jam your Game Pak in there and press the power button. Switch is still channeling this energy even in 2023. It's why I decided to hold off on emulating TOTK when it leaked; running into issues and tinkering isn't how I wanted to experience the game.

Mr.Phoenix

If you've ever jailbroken a device. you already know half the process. Then it's just getting your keys and games into the emulator. It takes very little effort, assuming you have a v1 or chipped Switch, an hour of your time to set stuff up, and target hardware that's up to the task. Personally, I still tend to play games that run well and look nice in handheld mode, but for something like TotK (that is perfectly serviceable in handheld mode) I need a little more juice to make it look good on my 65" TV, ya know?

If you have a beefy system, you can get TotK to run in 4K@60FPS with some mods. If you have something like an 11th gen 8 core or better with a 30xx card, you're probably locked. If you have a lesser system, 1080p@60FPS is still a significant upgrade.

Even if you haven't jailbroken a device or set up an emulator before, it's all very easy. If that all sounds like it is too much tinkering for you, watch a video or read a few tutorials on the subject and it will reveal itself to be pretty straightforward. I like to tinker with things, so maybe I'm not the best to judge the difficulty level, but I can certainly tell you the results are well worth it!
I love tinkering with stuff too. So all this is not problem. And I have a 3080.

My issue is more not liking to tinker with stuff to play games.

coffinbirth

I love tinkering with stuff too. So all this is not problem. And I have a 3080.

My issue is more not liking to tinker with stuff to play games.
Fair enough, I like to look at the initial time investment for stuff like this as fairly trivial in comparison to the QOL improvements it brings to the table, especially in a game like TotK where you're likely to spend many, many hours with it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not had a chance to watch the video yet and people probably already know this but disabling the sage buddies improves performance a bit as the game chugs when doing transparency effects when they're up close to the camera.

Yeah, that issue really bothers me, the game keeps crashing down to 20fps for a moment because they keep getting in front of the camera. Kinda surprised Nintendo didn't make sure to fix this issue before launch (maybe with a cheaper transparency effect, such as stippling which they've used in other games, although that would obviously look worse). It's SUPER obvious, and if you want to get rid of it and make the game run well (which it otherwise mostly does) you have to opt out of very useful gameplay features.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have the pc and the hacked switch, the thing that has stopped me is moving the save back and forth to my non hacked OLED

GymWolf

It's not true once you have unlocked a few companions, they make the game crash down to 20fps very frequently. Guess DF didn't play far enough to notice this.
They never do, they only test the first 10-15 hours to release the review as soon as they can to generate clicks.

Such a smart idea in a game where you can eventually build fucking mechs and walk with 4 companions:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I have no moral issues going straight to yuzu with this performance level. I get better performance in 4k already. If it was 60 at 1080p I'd play it on switch. Anything less is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

Romulus

I have no moral issues going straight to yuzu with this performance level. I get better performance in 4k already. If it was 60 at 1080p I'd play it on switch. Anything less is just unacceptable.

That's how I feel. The game is just too good to forced to play it 20-30fps and low resolution.

Romulus

Yup. I played botw on switch then replayed on cemu. Never going back in all honesty. I don't enjoy handheld gaming so it's just silly not to.

The good thing is there will be options soon. If someone doesn't want to deal with that framerate and wants to play it on a handheld, Deck and ROG will have the covered, probably others too.

Top Bottom