• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

Grounded is a killer game.

Second best game I played this year.

You proved my point, people don't consider these games and just want God of War type games from them.

Not gonna happen.

No, i think xbox gamers would have very much liked to have a game like starfield released this year.

Grounded has been out for two years, you basically got an expansion dlc for it this year.

Last edited:
Good. More articles like this. Call these pretenders out.

You’ve been in the business for 20 years and still don’t have a stable list of first party exclusives?

Do better or get the fuck out of the console business.

And all this praise for Phil Spendser needs to stop. The guys gaming portfolio is abysmal. What games has he delivered? All he ever mentions is Starfield and Gamepass.

Newsflash, your subscription service is useless without games I want to subscribe for.

Makes you wonder what big games would be coming out next year or shown at that summer showcase if they had not purchased Bethesda.

I have little faith in the subscription model. I don’t mind it as a side option, more and more it’s the majority of what they talk about and cloud.

I want to see them have the big games like PlayStation. It’s getting a bit much people have to keep pointing out Forza games every couple of years.

Stuart360

Also why is Gamepass seemingly not allowed to be a selling point for Xbox this gen?. It certainly seems to helping sell Xbox consoles this gen. I mean i wonder how many people have bought a Series console, especially a S, and using it as a Gamepass box.
I mean i'm on PC but Christ give me Gamepass over 2 or 3 exclusives a year.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
grounded and sea of thieves are valid games, but at the end of the day they're still not that big in comparison to a new proper halo or Starfield

Maybe I should give it a proper go, the resource gathering really turns me off though.

Then don't 😂

It's exploration, audio visual presentation is sublime. Zero hand holding.

Though resource farming is there as it's survival game. Wasn't too bad cause I played with a couple of mates. We were bent on crafting every weapon/ armour game had to offer, regardless of how much time it took.

Kimahri

Banned
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I couldn't care less about the big block buster exclusive.

I played God of War in preparation for Ragnarok recently, and I can honestly say I enjoyed my time with Scorn far more.

Pentiment and Somerville are right around the corner. Last year they had goty for me with Psychonauts 2. We had As Dusk Falls this summer.

Spiderman, horizon, ratchet and clank, none of that interest me. I don't care about those huge games because they do nothong interestong imo.

Through game pass I've gotten so many smaller and inspired games that have been a joy to play. I have my Switch for all my jrpg goodness, and PC for some odd titles.

My PlayStation is basically gathering dust, and probably will be till FFXIV comes out.

PS, don't mention it ezekiel, always happy to give you a good laugh.

anthony2690

Banned
you love to see it. soon everybody's gonna be down MS's throats and they'll have nothing to do but actually respond
I think 2023 will be the year that Microsoft delivers and then some. (I know someone will probably come at me with the "it's always next year" line)

Even though, I personally thought 2021? Was excellent on the first party front too (Forza horizon 5, infinite, psychonauts 2, granted P2 is multi platform and I highly recommend everyone plays it)

I do think 2022 was screwed by delays, as both Redfall & Starfield got delayed out the year, I'm personally super pumped for Redfall myself.

But I've been drowning in third party games and game pass this year as it is!

I just hope they get the first party line up spread throughout the year, so it isn't everything in the last 3 months of the year like 2021.

Kvally

Banned
bqDnxbz.jpg
0Hw8ALj.jpg
ibGphr7.png

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad
Ansphn, I thought you were on a 2 week ban?

solidus12

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I couldn't care less about the big block buster exclusive.

I played God of War in preparation for Ragnarok recently, and I can honestly say I enjoyed my time with Scorn far more.

Pentiment and Somerville are right around the corner. Last year they had goty for me with Psychonauts 2. We had As Dusk Falls this summer.

Spiderman, horizon, ratchet and clank, none of that interest me. I don't care about those huge games because they do nothong interestong imo.

Through game pass I've gotten so many smaller and inspired games that have been a joy to play. I have my Switch for all my jrpg goodness, and PC for some odd titles.

My PlayStation is basically gathering dust, and probably will be till FFXIV comes out.

PS, don't mention it ezekiel, always happy to give you a good laugh.
Wonder if you'll be interested in Starfield, since it's said to be a big game.

Ozriel

M$FT
They've been feeding you Halo and Forza since the 360 days, so no these are not "killer exclusives" otherwise I would have bought a Series X to play them.

Shabby point. God of War series launched on PS2, and Gran Turismo was on the original PlayStation.

these are not "killer exclusives" otherwise I would have bought a Series X to play them.

When were you appointed the global arbiter for 'killer exclusives'?

didn't buy an xbox for the exclusives. its just my main console. its for everything else. Playstation and Nintendo have become the niche exclusives machines for me. I just buy them to play the 2-3 games i want.

just like PC ppl dont build PC's for exclusives
This. Xbox generally has the better multiplat versions + Game Pass is a killer app. PS5 is purely for exclusives.

This need people have to try and justify owning one console is silly. Can own both next-gen systems for less than it would cost to build a PC more powerful than either one of them, so these arguments people engage in seem silly to me.

Umbasaborne

Banned
There is a lot too this situation, and while i understand that microsofts first party didn't receive a serious investment until somewhat recently, its really not a good a excuse for the state of microsofts exclusives. They need to get their shit togeather. 2023 is looking promising, even if they only put out redfall, starfield, and forza, thats a pretty good year by xbox standards. Hopefully 2024 is when we start to see some of these long in development products, like fable, perfect dark, and avowed. However, another year like this or 2020 will get them (rightfully) torn apart. Gamepass is not a substitute for high quality first party titles. Im glad more journo’s are starting to call them out.

Topher

Gold Member
What is hard to understand? Bethesda games are pretty much a known quantity. And the STALKER games are some of my favorites ever so unless it’s a total bust I will love it. Returnal is basically the only must-play PS5 game for me.

If you want a "known quantity" then it doesn't make any sense to sacrifice an entire lineup which is literally a known quantity for something that is not such as Starfield. And I say that with games such as Cyberpunk 2077 backing me up. I'm as hopeful as anyone that Starfield is a kickass game but a lot remains to be seen which is the case for every unreleased game, including Sony's.

solidus12

Shabby point. God of War series launched on PS2, and Gran Turismo was on the original PlayStation.
Yet they released many great new ips
When were you appointed the global arbiter for 'killer exclusives'?
Based on the games that are worth an Xbox purchase, so for me, there's still no reason to own one.
Articles are popping out left and right, meaning that many share the same opinion.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They've been feeding you Halo and Forza since the 360 days, so no these are not "killer exclusives" otherwise I would have bought a Series X to play them.
Are you saying that Returnal and Ratchet are killer exclusives to buy a PS5 for? Both consoles main selling point 2 years later is still the SSDs.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm confused, how is forza 5 not considered a killer exclusive? It's a massively popular AAA title that gets great reviews that's only on xbox. And really infinite as well, as much as this forum loves to dog on it, it's very well reviewed and did very well. (Not to its target, but still an exclusive halo game, and you can't judge it just by multiplayer) Many casual halo fans buy xbox just for halo single player.

Saiyan-Rox

With all the studios they own they'll start churning out exclusives like mad soon

They just launched with nothing ready

Ozriel

M$FT
There is a lot too this situation, and while i understand that microsofts first party didn't receive a serious investment until somewhat recently, its really not a good a excuse for the state of microsofts exclusives. They need to get their shit togeather. 2023 is looking promising, even if they only put out redfall, starfield, and forza, thats a pretty good year by xbox standards. Hopefully 2024 is when we start to see some of these long in development products, like fable, perfect dark, and avowed. However, another year like this or 2020 will get them (rightfully) torn apart. Gamepass is not a substitute for high quality first party titles. Im glad more journo’s are starting to call them out.

These 'callouts' make no sense, and the majority of grownup journalists aren't going to write something in this vein, thankfully. The general impression game journalists have is that delays are COVID related, and these delays visibly affected every publisher and console maker.

It also helps that there's a very credible Xbox first party lineup scheduled for H1 2023.

Umbasaborne

Banned
These 'callouts' make no sense, and the majority of grownup journalists aren't going to write something in this vein, thankfully. The general impression game journalists have is that delays are COVID related, and these delays visibly affected every publisher and console maker.

It also helps that there's a very credible Xbox first party lineup scheduled for H1 2023.
Covid related delays are a hard excuse to accept when their competition put out 3 new first party games this year and one high quality remake.

If you want a "known quantity" then it doesn't make any sense to sacrifice an entire lineup which is literally a known quantity for something that is not such as Starfield. And I say that with games such as Cyberpunk 2077 backing me up. I'm as hopeful as anyone that Starfield is a kickass game but a lot remains to be seen which is the case for every unreleased game, including Sony's.
No you’re right. Let’s never make assumptions about how much we will enjoy a game. It’s perfectly possible that John’s 2D Platformer will be better than Tears of the Kingdom.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, they will have one next year but its something that they basically bought to keep off of playstation. Not really something I would consider MS made.

I need to see Avowed, Perfect Dark, Fable, Gears, State of Decay, Hellblade 2 finally fucking release after being shown off in 2019 and 2020. They are finally releasing Forza 8 next year but it looks cross gen as fuck despite being next gen only. Hell, Forza Horizon 5 looks better and its an open world LAST GEN game.

If MS is going to be judged by Zenimax studios releasing games then meh. Aside from Doom and Starfield/Fallout/Elder Scrolls which come out on a 5-7 year gap nowadays, what exactly am I getting excited about?

Had MS shown off Fable, Perfect Dark and other first party exclusives this year, no one would be talking about this. Right now, we all know Starfield is coming which is great but its one game.

The Sony comparison is bizarre because the same logic can be applied towards sony. Returnal and Ratchet are the only true PS5 exclusives. DS is literally running a PS3 game under the hood. TLOU the same thing with AI enhancement. I would love to start seeing more articles about Sony who literally fucking skipped an entire year without a conference and these cowardly journalists didnt call them out even once. We know Spiderman is coming next year but unlike Stafield we dont even know what it looks like. The last time they did that we got a last gen GOW surprise. What are they hiding? Why is VG247 not bringing up the fact that we have seen ZERO gameplay from first party games from Sony for their 2023 or 2024 games?

Why are we ok with paid money hatted exclusives from a third party publisher like square who is literally about to release 3 cross gen as fuck titles in Forspoken, FF16 and FF7. FF7 literally reusing the same character models to avoid putting in actual effort. We are happy with this? VG wants killer exclusives and they are ok with PS4 quality character models? I thought we wanted exclusives because they set the bar thanks to higher budget and production values.

The industry is in a poor state not just becuase of MS, but Sony and other third parties as well. Maybe they ought to release one for Activision who produced another mediocre 2007 era COD game that sold a billion dollars in a week because the journalists didnt raise any stink about it being the third cod title this gen and still not an exclusive next gen title.

Ozriel

M$FT
Covid related delays are a hard excuse to accept when their competition put out 3 new first party games this year and one high quality remake.

And every single one of those games (aside from the safe remake) received significant delays due to the Pandemic. Horizon Forbidden West was initially announced as a 'release window' title. God of War was announced for 2021. Ditto for GT7.

Scheduling luck worked out for Sony in 2022. Delays out of 2021 helped them have a stellar 2022. This will probably play out the same for Xbox in 2023.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes they are, in addition to Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. PlayStation have already proved itself, same can't be said about Xbox, otherwise Phil wouldn't be saying "we don't have games."

Phil: " We know we're lacking in the big games for 2022 after Starfield and Redfall got delayed"
Solidus12: "Phil said xbox has no games"

Christ

Stuart360

Sony did to be fair to them, but lets not preted this year has been anyhting other than a ghost town game wise, and one of the worst years i can remember.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don’t understand why people shrug their shoulders and tout gamepass as being the selling point when xbox executives themselves have said they need exclusives and have spent close to 80 billion dollars on the last couple years on getting them?
Cuz people with Xboxes arent exactly starving for games to play?
People are acting like Xboxes are sitting idle because there are literally no games to play, cuz if that was true, no Xboxes would have been sold.

But Sony’s list is also punctuated by God of War Ragnarok, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon: Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Gran Turismo 7, and even Astro’s Playroom – a pretty strong sextuple of first-party hitters for PS5’s first 24 months.

Only two of these are PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Im so disappointed people still are fans of Phil.

His intentions and personality are fine, but he's had almost 10 years in the job at this point and it has been so lackluster.

He clearly isn't the right guy for this job, even if he seems like a nice person, it just isn't working.

The best XB1 games were released the first year of the console (Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, DR3). And those were greenlit under Don Mattrick. After that it is like they gave up or stopped caring.

Topher

Gold Member
No you’re right. Let’s never make assumptions about how much we will enjoy a game. It’s perfectly possible that John’s 2D Platformer will be better than Tears of the Kingdom.

I'd sacrifice every game ever to play John's 2D platformer!

what the hell is john's 2d platformer?

Only two of these are PS5 exclusive.

He didn't say "exclusive" but Ratchet and Clank is PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
The Sony comparison is bizarre because the same logic can be applied towards sony. Returnal and Ratchet are the only true PS5 exclusives.

Not really

If Avowed, Starfield, or Fable were cross gen we’d still be anticipating them

Next gen is a distraction and not the argument. The issue with MS isn’t cross gen vs next gen. It’s the fact that they literally haven’t shown us anything to get excited about from their long list of announced titles

Sony had a ton of great exclusives this year, no reason to be upset with their output even if it’s all cross gen

Last edited:
Is beyond me that there are people still trying to deflect, defend or negate Xbox pathetic First Party output. (Quality and quantity).

I dunno if a lot of Xbox influencers have this stance about "Xbox management issue are not really true".

But to me is clear as water bad decisions since the second half of the 360 era compounded by whatever happened on the Xbox one generarion. Created this point in time in which triple trillion dollar company feels like noobie at software development.

Not really

If Avowed, Starfield, or Fable were cross gen we’d still be anticipating them

Next gen is a distraction and not the argument. The issue with MS isn’t cross gen vs next gen. It’s the fact that they literally haven’t shown us anything to get excited about from their long list of announced titles

Sony had a ton of great exclusives this year, no reason to be upset with their output even if it’s all cross gen

And if we’re being honest both redfall and starfield look every bit as cross-gen as anything else released this year, worse even.

Starfield doesn’t look half as good as Horizon Forbidden West or God of War. Forza will probably look better than GT7 though. Next-gen really doesn’t mean anything right now

Ozriel

M$FT
Yet they released many great new ips

movinggoalposts.gif

Based on the games that are worth an Xbox purchase, so for me, there's still no reason to own one.
Articles are popping out left and right, meaning that many share the same opinion.

As an example, Forza Horizon series are 90+ MC games, multi-million sellers on Steam with well over 50k daily concurrent players across all platforms combined. Big reason for many to own an Xbox.
If this article you cling to as Gospel puts forward GT7 as a 'killer exclusive' and a reason to own a PS5, then there shouldn't be any problems with doing the same with the better rated FH5, should there?

Also, none of those articles you site make the claim that's there's no reason to own an Xbox. And as always, you can really only speak for yourself

Top Bottom