• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

Kimahri

Banned
Wonder if you'll be interested in Starfield, since it's said to be a big game.
The big xbox games I'm most interested in are Fable and Hellblade. But it's not like I don't like big games or anything, it just doesn't matter to me.

It could be a huge production or a tiny indie game.

I do gravitate more and more towards shorter games. Probably won't play Starfield. I don't have time for that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I were going to advise on a choice between those 2 platforms, I would recommend a PS5 night and day. It won't change anytime soon either.

In 2008, this may have been an Xbox recommend for a brief time. That time has long passed.

solidus12

HhnDLmq.jpg

Demon’s Souls is not exclusive to PS5.

Sackboy, Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7 & God of War Ragnarök are all perfectly playable on PS4 and therefore do not make the PS5 a ‘must buy’.

As I said, main reason to upgrade from last gen is still the SSDs.
The question is not about next-gen or cross gen; it's about the lack of games on the Xbox side that makes it an appealing platform for those of us who do not own one. Hell, even Xbox execs are addmiting having a poor first-party output, why can't some of you do the same?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s the fact that they literally haven’t shown us anything to get excited about from their long list of announced titles

Ok, whats sony shown that gets us excited for the future? Spiderman, Wolverine, Factions. One had a 30 cutscene teaser, one had a CG trailer. the other had a literal concept art.

I get that sony had a decent first couple of years, but looking at the future how are Sonys CG trailers better than MS's CG trailers? He brings up Forspoken, FF moneyhats and MS's 2023 and 2024 lineups so hes not just talking about the last two years. I fail to see whats so exciting about Sony first party when all we have seen is the same CG trash we saw from MS.

solidus12

Tell me you only like to post about Xbox without telling me :messenger_grinning_sweat:

6xDOW51.png
You seem pretty intimate with Phil giving your tag, why don't you ask him to provide gamers with more triple A bangers on Xbox?
Maybe I'll buy one and we could play together :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You seem pretty intimate with Phil giving your tag, why don't you ask him to provide gamers with more triple A bangers on Xbox?
Maybe I'll buy one and we could play together :messenger_smiling_hearts:

But Phil provides me with excellent AA, AAA bangers twice a month on game pass. There is no shortage of new games to play :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

As for the gestating first party lineup, of course it's not here right now cause of delays but delays aren't permanent :messenger_peace:

Don’t understand why people shrug their shoulders and tout gamepass as being the selling point when xbox executives themselves have said they need exclusives and have spent close to 80 billion dollars on the last couple years on getting them?
Because I'm getting 3 console exclusives I'm excited about in the next 5 days alone and can hardly play it all. Vampire Survivors, Pentiment, Somerville.

Everyone knows MS first party has a lot to prove. We're waiting like everyone else. But GP is a transformative, killer app that buys them time for now.

Ozriel

M$FT
The question is not about next-gen or cross gen; it's about the lack of games on the Xbox side that makes it an appealing platform for those of us who do not own one. Hell, even Xbox execs are addmiting having a poor first-party output, why can't some of you do the same?

I'm yet to see a single person on this forum that does not admit that Xbox first party output in 2022 has been lacking.

Most of the pushback comes when folks wrap up the general discussion around Xbox games in disingenuous warring or misinformation.

See, I know why 2022 was very weak for AAA. And I understand why. It'll translate to a bigger 2023 for me. In the interim, I'll play the big AAA games on my PS5.

Demon’s Souls is not exclusive to PS5.

Sackboy, Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7 & God of War Ragnarök are all perfectly playable on PS4 and therefore do not make the PS5 a ‘must buy’.

As I said, main reason to upgrade from last gen is still the SSDs.
So you mean if someone wants to play Demon's Souls currently will simply buy a used PS3 and play that crappy version since PS5 version isn't a "must buy"? Can you even say that with a straight face?

All the games you listed are much better on a PS5 than a PS4, specially Forbidden West. GT7 alone goes from 40 second loadings to 2 seconds from PS4 to PS5.

By that metric people shouldn't update their gaming PCs...as long games work on minimum settings, why have them on maximum or ultra?

Plus...there's Returnal and Ratchet & Clank since cross-gen doesn't count as reasons.

If PS5 had a weak beginning what did you guys think about the PS4? lmao.

Ok, whats sony shown that gets us excited for the future?

Strawman argument because Sony didn’t post a big fat zero in 2022.

Btw, I am disappointed that Sony hasn’t shown much at all of their first party for 2023, but they have shown quite a lot from their partner projects like forespoken and FFXVI

But the main thing is Sony delivered in 2022, despite not hearing much at all about GoW until the month before release, so they get the benefit of the doubt

Metacritic scores for Xbox games on the top of my head.

Halo Infinite - 87
Flight simulator - 90
Forza horizon 5 - 92
Gears tactics - 82
Grounded - 82
Psyconaughts 2 (True next gen version) - 87

Outside of Psyconaughts 2, all these games have online multiplayer and getting updated with new content which increase replay-ability . Next year looks pretty good too.

Also, I don’t remember anyone making these articles for the PS4 when it launched. 2 years in and the big game for ps4 was blood borne.

So you mean if someone wants to play Demon's Souls currently will simply buy a used PS3 and play that crappy version since PS5 version isn't a "must buy"? Can you even say that with a straight face?

All the games you listed are much better on a PS5 than a PS4, specially Forbidden West. GT7 alone goes from 40 second loadings to 2 seconds from PS4 to PS5.

By that metric people shouldn't update their gaming PCs...as long games work on minimum settings, why have them on maximum or ultra?

Plus...there's Returnal and Ratchet & Clank since cross-gen doesn't count as reasons.

If we can count old games that play and work better can I count all the 360 backwards compatibility games?

Swift_Star

Banned
They have exclusives.

They have a different idea of what makes a good game.

A lot of people don't count games like Grounded, Sea of Thieves etc.

They don't want different experiences or variety. Just endless sequals or differently skinned games that are too similar.
so are you saying a bunch of FPS games that MS releases aren’t the same games skinned differently? Because that’s what the MS ecosystem looks like to me and to a lot of people: a place to play FPS bro shooter games and that the vast majority of the games look like variations of each other.

Last edited:
This is an interesting admission. It begs the question, then why are you so desperate for the Activision Blizzard deal to go through?
Because they want money? Also it will show on Xbox game pass day 1 which for a lot of customers is huge. In fact, I will argue for a lot of customers it might as well be exclusive. Who want la to spend over 70 dollars for one game?

solidus12

But Phil provides me with excellent AA, AAA bangers twice a month on game pass. There is no shortage of new games to play :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

As for the gestating first party lineup, of course it's not here right now cause of delays but delays aren't permanent :messenger_peace:
Their first party output remains lackluster.

Regarding the AAA and AA games that you’re getting, well more power to you, but I’m an old school gamer. I prefer to own my games.

I’ll play this bad boy when I’m done with Ragnarok.
cJArtur.jpg

Solarium

Neo Member
I agree. I think Gamepass has been really great to have around and load up when I don't feel like purchasing a game and can just download + play, but I've yet to find a "killer exclusive" from Microsoft for long while.

NovaSe7en

Microsoft's 1st party output has not been good for a really long time. You actually have to go pretty far back into the 360's life cycle to see where they were actually trying.

Topher

Gold Member
Ok, whats sony shown that gets us excited for the future? Spiderman, Wolverine, Factions. One had a 30 cutscene teaser, one had a CG trailer. the other had a literal concept art.

I get that sony had a decent first couple of years, but looking at the future how are Sonys CG trailers better than MS's CG trailers? He brings up Forspoken, FF moneyhats and MS's 2023 and 2024 lineups so hes not just talking about the last two years. I fail to see whats so exciting about Sony first party when all we have seen is the same CG trash we saw from MS.

So weird to try to bring Sony into this when it has been less than 48 hours since their last major AAA release. That's about as "what have you done for me lately" as one can get.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The stupid runneth over in this article to embarrassing degrees. How much exclusive software has Sony released on PS5, 7 or 8 titles? Even if you look at MS as only releasing 2 titles so far, the amount of hand wringing over 5 or 6 games is silly. Not to mention more titles are on the way. You'd almost think that no third-party content was on there. LOL

Zenimax typically always gets one or two things out per year, even if Bethesda Softworks is a bit slow itself. Add that to the other studios MS has and there isn't going to be a problem with exclusive content, and that doesn't even mention whatever exclusive projects might spring from Activision.

Console exclusives are important for selling consoles and MS will have plenty of those, but it's foolish to overstate it. Xbox is selling well because it's a capable piece of hardware that offers a good experience at an affordable price. Has a great subscription service with a lot of new games. Has some amazing features like QR. And the ecosystem still supports key sales from third-parties, often making third-party games significantly less expensive. Not to mention the unquestionably better approach to BC greatly increases the value of your software purchases over time.

BabyYoda

Banned
I think Phil Spencer and Matt Booty are hacks personally, I just think they tick the right boxes for certain people that call the shots (nothing to do with what's best for gaming mind). I used to be Xbox all the way, glad I moved back to the PC where I get the best of both platforms and PC, without worrying whether my console of choice will succeed or not ;).

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Swift_Star

Banned
The stupid runneth over in this article to embarrassing degrees. How much exclusive software has Sony released on PS5, 7 or 8 titles? Even if you look at MS as only releasing 2 titles so far, the amount of hand wringing over 5 or 6 games is silly. Not to mention more titles are on the way. You'd almost think that no third-party content was on there. LOL

Zenimax typically always gets one or two things out per year, even if Bethesda Softworks is a bit slow itself. Add that to the other studios MS has and there isn't going to be a problem with exclusive content, and that doesn't even mention whatever exclusive projects might spring from Activision.

Console exclusives are important for selling consoles and MS will have plenty of those, but it's foolish to overstate it. Xbox is selling well because it's a capable piece of hardware that offers a good experience at an affordable price. Has a great subscription service with a lot of new games. Has some amazing features like QR. And the ecosystem still supports key sales from third-parties, often making third-party games significantly less expensive. Not to mention the unquestionably better approach to BC greatly increases the value of your software purchases over time.
you’re missing the point. It’s not that Xbox doesn’t have exclusives. It’s that it doesn’t have a must have exclusive game. Nothing on Xbox right now is in the same league as God of War Ragnarok or Zelda BOTW.
People don’t care about anything you listed, they care about content and Xbox is lacking on it.

Last edited:

waquzy

Yes. For awhile now.

Comparison videos are posted on this forum regularly. Generally speaking, Xbox has a slight advantage visually in most cases, and even if they don't I'm still going to keep buying multiplats on Xbox. I don't have a desire to argue with you.
No worries mate, I haven’t been following the multiplatform face offs recently, but I remember the PS5 having the edge when they first released… so I’m guessing the tools did arrive eventually!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
They could buy a used PS3, there’s some good games locked to that system.

Sony should have made the effort to crack PS3 emulation, or just done a straight HD/4K port of the game like they did with the Ratchet/Sly/Jak trilogies on PS3.

All the games you listed are much better on a PS5 than a PS4, specially Forbidden West. GT7 alone goes from 40 second loadings to 2 seconds from PS4 to PS5. By that metric people shouldn't update their gaming PCs...as long games work on minimum settings, why have them on maximum or ultra?
I think if the conversation is around ‘is either console a must buy’ then the answer, if you own a PS4 or Xbox One, is no.

Don’t get me wrong, I play on my PS5, I’ve played these since August;

mchcyLk.jpg

But if I couldn’t afford a PS5 and still had a PS4, would I be missing out on much? In my opinion, no.

I know, those are the 2.

Dog shit for the first couple of years.

I prefer to own my games.
I used to be the same way until it occurred to me I very seldom go back to games once I finish, so owning a game was of little concern to me if Game Pass provides the value I am looking for -- but I'm glad that options exist for everyone, be it as a subscriber to Game Pass or to outright own you games, be it digital or physical. Everyone wins this way.

you’re missing the point. It’s not that Xbox doesn’t have exclusives. It’s that it doesn’t have a must have exclusive game. Nothing on Xbox right now is in the same league as God of War Ragnarok or Zelda BOTW.
People don’t care about anything you listed, they care about content and Xbox is lacking on it.
Umm forza horizon 5 sold a shit ton and pretty sure halo infinite did as well. They both scored well too on metacritic and won GOTY awards.

Is beyond me that there are people still trying to deflect, defend or negate Xbox pathetic First Party output. (Quality and quantity).

I dunno if a lot of Xbox influencers have this stance about "Xbox management issue are not really true".

But to me is clear as water bad decisions since the second half of the 360 era compounded by whatever happened on the Xbox one generarion. Created this point in time in which triple trillion dollar company feels like noobie at software development.

Influencers are a complete waste of time whatever the brand. It serves their own purposes and certainly not the consumer. I’d rather listen to old people shagging than any of their shite.

GHG

Gold Member
Because they want money? Also it will show on Xbox game pass day 1 which for a lot of customers is huge. In fact, I will argue for a lot of customers it might as well be exclusive. Who want la to spend over 70 dollars for one game?

Money? Does he work for Xbox? It was a direct question for him.

It won't hit gamepass until after 2025 if the clauses in Sony's marketing deals are to be believed. So that's approaching next generation.

And for what it's worth, for individuals who only play call of duty, it's cheaper to purchase the game than it is to stay subscribed indefinitely in order to have access to it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Strawman argument because Sony didn’t post a big fat zero in 2022.

Btw, I am disappointed that Sony hasn’t shown much at all of their first party for 2023, but they have shown quite a lot from their partner projects like forespoken and FFXVI

But the main thing is Sony delivered in 2022, despite not hearing much at all about GoW until the month before release, so they get the benefit of the doubt
I think Sony and Nintendo have both earned the benefit of the doubt over the past 5-10 years or longer. That’s why no one panics when there’s not much announced for either of those companies. Their silence doesn’t mean things are disastrous behind the scenes.

Ozriel

M$FT
This is thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with Xbox's 1st party situation.

Their fans just constantly make excuses for them, using many different angles to distract away from the actual issue.

This has been going on for YEARS.

It's fucking embarrassing.

Yeah. Their fans should blame them for COVID related delays.

When it comes to Xbox, it's an 'excuse' when AAA games get delayed. Doesn't matter that like 90% of AAA games scheduled for 2021 - 2022 got delayed for the same reason.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with my Series X purchase. Sits on my TV stand next to my other consoles. Shame you feel embarrassment for a console you don't own.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Umm forza horizon 5 sold a shit ton and pretty sure halo infinite did as well. They both scored well too on metacritic and won GOTY awards.
Yeah but his point was they aren’t in the same league as GoW and Zelda, and he’s right. Luckily for Xbox Bethesda games (IMO) are in that very top tier.

And as someone who’s played a lot of Halo, Infinite can not be classed as anything close to ‘must have’.

Last edited:
Money? Does he work for Xbox? It was a direct question for him.

It won't hit gamepass until after 2025 if the clauses in Sony's marketing deals are to be believed. So that's approaching next generation.

And for what it's worth, for individuals who only play call of duty, it's cheaper to purchase the game than it is to stay subscribed indefinitely in order to have access to it.
We are not sure when the clause would end, but 2025 will not be near the end of this generation. Look at how ps4 and Xbox one is still being supported 9 years later.

Not true, the COD casuals will only play COD for a short while 3 to 4 months. That is why we see a pretty huge drop off. So it would be cheaper to subscribe instead. Not to mention they wouldn’t even need a console to play it.

This is thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with Xbox's 1st party situation.

Their fans just constantly make excuses for them, using many different angles to distract away from the actual issue.

This has been going on for YEARS.

It's fucking embarrassing.
So the issue is that Xbox fans should be pissed, but for some odd reason they're not.

Weird! Hopefully they can get more angry soon.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
just like PC ppl dont build PC's for exclusives
no no no you can't make that comparison

PC is drowning in indie exclusives and fangames who can't publish to console. even if that's not your cup of tea, the PC can play nearly every game from nearly every console released before 2013 (and every Nintendo game ever made)

and PC's sheer freedom and features makes it a far better choice than an xbox

Xbox has game pass, the best deal in gaming. There never seems to be a lack of things to play. Sonywill never be able to match this service unless they put their games day one. Until then it's Xbox for me

Top Bottom