• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
They don't want different experiences or variety. Just endless sequals or differently skinned games that are too similar.

there is no need to be upset GIF

It shows how much gamepass is saving their brand. And why people are buying xbox right now. Without that, their console would have a hard time. That is what I was trying to tell @DaGwaphics
I guess I just don't understand this take. It's like saying that Sony would do poorly if they stopped releasing good games. It's part of their business model.

Kvally

Banned
When were you appointed the global arbiter for 'killer exclusives'?

Kobe Bryant Laughing GIF

Good because it’s a farce.

I really hope they deliver the goods next year and this kind of talk begins to fade.

Xbox could debut 10 AAA exclusives next year with 10/10 average on OpenCritic, and that talk still wouldn't fade.

I'm confused, how is forza 5 not considered a killer exclusive? It's a massively popular AAA title that gets great reviews that's only on xbox. And really infinite as well, as much as this forum loves to dog on it, it's very well reviewed and did very well. (Not to its target, but still an exclusive halo game, and you can't judge it just by multiplayer) Many casual halo fans buy xbox just for halo single player.

Forza Horizon 5 won GOTY awards, scored amazingly, has a massive player base and is beyond fun.

Covid related delays are a hard excuse to accept when their competition put out 3 new first party games this year and one high quality remake.

Those 3 first party games were delayed to 2022 because of COVID :messenger_neutral:

Why don't you try some of PS Studio offerings then. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Most people will just be playing on them on PC now.

Forza 5 is a killer app if you like racing games but other than that yeah it has been pretty bad.

That would be like saying Elden Ring is a killer app if you like souls borne games, but other than that yeah it has been pretty bad.

This is thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with Xbox's 1st party situation.

Their fans just constantly make excuses for them, using many different angles to distract away from the actual issue.

This has been going on for YEARS.

It's fucking embarrassing.

Even just as embarrassing are the Sony fans trolling the Microsoft fans. There isn't any need for any of that shit here. It's more fun to just enjoy all the consoles than worship plastic.

Money? Does he work for Xbox? It was a direct question for him.

It won't hit gamepass until after 2025 if the clauses in Sony's marketing deals are to be believed. So that's approaching next generation.

And for what it's worth, for individuals who only play call of duty, it's cheaper to purchase the game than it is to stay subscribed indefinitely in order to have access to it.
Sony won't sign the contracts according to Jim Ryan, so I assume it will hit Game Pass after this current 3 year deal is done next year.

Last edited:
I view Xbox as a kind of sleeping dragon. They have a large number of studios now working on games, some getting close to the 3-4 year development time as of 2023. It sucks to keep hearing "it's coming" but when you have over 20 studios all actively working on games, not to mention the exclusive projects being worked on under the Xbox Game Studios Publishing arm by third parties (like IO)..

This narrative is an issue for Xbox, they have not yet popped off. But when they do it's going to be crazy, that's a lot of studios now years into project development. It's only a matter of time.

ungalo

Xbox could debut 10 AAA exclusives next year with 10/10 average on OpenCritic, and that talk still wouldn't fade.
Stop trolling.

In fact i think the worst thing in all of this is once the games will finally arrive, some of them will face an undeserved shitstorm when people see they are not really big games.

Microsoft mismanaged the schedule so bad that it will put a lot of pressure on certain studios.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think there is a big divide on what people consider killer games.
MS flight sim has almost twice as many concurrent players on steam than the 'killer' app Spiderman remastered. And it is free on gamepass.

Except the important part of their business is where they are having issues.
I don't understand your angle here. You keep saying that if MS didn't have Game Pass to rely on they wouldn't be doing very well right now, which is true, but why is that even a conversation? We don't live in bizzaro world where Game Pass doesn't exist, so why does it matter? MS has Game Pass and it's been a core tenant as to why they have done so well this gen, considering their 1st party output this year has been lacking greatly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I know Moon aren’t exclusive, but neither were Insomniac for decades.
Sony knew Insomniac's quality and snatched them up in 2017 rightfully so. Imagine if MS did the same with Moon Studios? or StudioMDHR? or asobo? Bungie? Epic? Respawn? Team Ninja?
16 billion opportunities to grow their first party and they missed em
imagine if these 7 were the face of Xbox's games rather than publishers that were multiplatform for years? there wouldn't even be any dissent

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I don't understand your angle here. You keep saying that if MS didn't have Game Pass to rely on they wouldn't be doing very well right now, which is true, but why is that even a conversation? We don't live in bizzaro world where Game Pass doesn't exist, so why does it matter? MS has Game Pass and it's been a core tenant as to why they have done so well this gen, considering their 1st party output this year has been lacking greatly.
Because of this topic here.

MS is having issues with their 1st party output. Gamepass is currently helping them avoid that.

You take that away, and it would show how bad their 1st party output is.

Essentially, gamepass is what keeps those xbox users happy, and not worry about 1st party drops.

Sony knew Insomniac's quality and snatched them up in 2017 rightfully so. Imagine if MS did the same with Moon Studios? or StudioMDHR? or asobo? Bungie? Epic?
imagine if these 5 were the face of Xbox's games rather than publishers that were multiplatform for years? there wouldn't even be any dissent
Moon Studios famously shit the bed in a public way on REEE and in other interviews. They don't want to be exclusive. It wasn't a good fit for acquisition.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Kobe Bryant Laughing GIF

Forza Horizon 5 won GOTY awards, scored amazingly, has a massive player base and is beyond fun.

Those 3 first party games were delayed to 2022 because of COVID :messenger_neutral:

Most people will just be playing on them on PC now.

That would be like saying Elden Ring is a killer app if you like souls borne games, but other than that yeah it has been pretty bad.

Even just as embarrassing are the Sony fans trolling the Microsoft fans. There isn't any need for any of that shit here. It's more fun to just enjoy all the consoles than worship plastic.

Sony won't sign the contracts according to Jim Ryan, so I assume it will hit Game Pass after this current 3 year deal is done next year.
Considering sony had plenty of other games last year and the delay didn’t leave them with nothing, like microsofts delays did this year….not really the gotcha moment you thought it was.

reinking

Gold Member
I have been happy with all three consoles. Frankly when MS was talking up Game Pass, generations and bc upgrades I knew I would need an XBSX for that. It is not my main console and I doubt it ever will be. There is nothing wrong with that. People/media need to get it out of their minds that "winning" is the determining factor for success. XBSX is currently successful and will only improve.

Edit- I should clarify something. For exclusives I didn't think I needed the XBSX. I needed to upgrade my PC. The big benefit to an XBSX was the reasons posted above. So, I'm not disappointed with my purchase.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Considering sony had plenty of other games last year and the delay didn’t leave them with nothing, like microsofts delays did this year….not really the gotcha moment you thought it was.
I wasn't looking for a gotcha moment (those are for tribalists). I was only pointing out a fact. Maybe not everyone cares about trolling like you. Sorry if that disappoints. Now please, move along...go play GOW R like I am right now and enjoy life.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony understands the big picture if you’re going to launch a console trust games will follow. That’s your #1 job as a console.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I view Xbox as a kind of sleeping dragon. They have a large number of studios now working on games, some getting close to the 3-4 year development time as of 2023. It sucks to keep hearing "it's coming" but when you have over 20 studios all actively working on games, not to mention the exclusive projects being worked on under the Xbox Game Studios Publishing arm by third parties (like IO)..

This narrative is an issue for Xbox, they have not yet popped off. But when they do it's going to be crazy, that's a lot of studios now years into project development. It's only a matter of time.
Again, maybe say this like... a year later? when we see trailers? when we see gameplay? at least with starfield we saw a lengthy game showcase. those 20 studios have barely shown anything other than names. Your optimism is unfounded at best and sheer copium at worst

Godot25

Banned
I find it very amusing that this type of article is written...now?
Because people who claim to be "games journalists" should know which games are planned for 2023 from Xbox first-party. So it's really a pointless article. Since main reason why Xbox first-party is so barren in 2022 is Microsoft's choice to delay Starfield and Redfall to have more polished and complete games. Which, yes, Microsoft should not rely on only two titles per year, but again. We should be fine with delaying games, right?

Like for real...what is the point of this article? Since Microsoft is planning to release Starfield, Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Ara and Forza Motorsport in next 7 months?

Kvally

Banned
Sony understands the big picture if you’re going to launch a console trust games will follow. That’s your #1 job as a console.
That is one thing I can guarantee myself when I buy my PlayStations. Consistency on quality exclusives releasing. It's not often they will release a "Bleeding Edge" exclusive. (no offense to those who liked that game, I never played it, only going by scores/popularity).

Ok, whats sony shown that gets us excited for the future? Spiderman, Wolverine, Factions. One had a 30 cutscene teaser, one had a CG trailer. the other had a literal concept art.

I get that sony had a decent first couple of years, but looking at the future how are Sonys CG trailers better than MS's CG trailers? He brings up Forspoken, FF moneyhats and MS's 2023 and 2024 lineups so hes not just talking about the last two years. I fail to see whats so exciting about Sony first party when all we have seen is the same CG trash we saw from MS.
Its not what they have shown us its their pedigree and the fact they haven't shown much yet. Xbox dosen't have the luxury of saying "trust me".

feynoob

Banned
I push back against lies and nonsense. I stay out of threads about products I don't own. If you don't like Xbox why are you in this thread?
You dont need to defend xbox all the time.

I give xbox credits where it's due, and criticise them, when they fail on certain parts.

You need to have a balance. MS doesn't need your defending. It's not worth it.

There is a famous quote that says
“A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots.”—Mark Twain.

SegaShack

Sony knew Insomniac's quality and snatched them up in 2017 rightfully so. Imagine if MS did the same with Moon Studios? or StudioMDHR? or asobo? Bungie? Epic? Respawn? Team Ninja?
imagine if these 7 were the face of Xbox's games rather than publishers that were multiplatform for years? there wouldn't even be any dissent
I don't know. I think MS has sadly only shown misuse and misunderstanding of the studios they aquire. The studios may have been worse off.

Just look at what happened to Rare and Lionhead Studios. Look at how they manage 343 and their other studios, seems none can make games in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

damidu

this gen is half lost for sure, but they course corrected. its disingenuous to deny that.

when stuff like starfield, quake reboot releases people will sing different tune.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't know. I think MS has sadly only shown misuse and misunderstanding of the studios they aquire. The studios may have been worse off.

Just look at what happened to Rare and Lionhead Studios.
eh maybe. i honestly think if they had the foresight to snatch up those studios when they realized their potential, they'd have the insight to not mismanage and mishandle them

Umbasaborne

Banned
I wasn't looking for a gotcha moment (those are for tribalists). I was only pointing out a fact. Maybe not everyone cares about trolling like you. Sorry if that disappoints. Now please, move along...go play GOW R like I am right now and enjoy life.
Not really trolling though, im an xbox fan who is not satisfied with Microsoft's output, they should be doing better

Gudji

I was trying to be nice I could have said they haven't got a single game worth playing but I didn't.

Esca

For the time being it is still. But it is just a matter of time now before they have a lot of games with all their acquisitions. It's a shame things are how they are because of their poor planning though for so many years

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i mean ok if you want to believe they spent billions on publishers to not release any games lol
they literally did. It's all so they can put their previous library on gamepass. these studios could never release another game and MS wouldn't care because their games are on gamepass and that's all they need to bolster the value of GP

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I mean it really depends on what genre you deem "killer".

My most preferred genre of any is racing/driving games and you have a killer app right there in FH5.

Kvally

Banned
LMFAO

That's up there with people saying "Wait until next E3 guys! Trust me!" immediately after the recent E3 fails to deliver.

Being an Xbro is a hard life.

Being a PSbro or Xbro is a hard life. No need to be "bros". Just be a PS and/or Xbox gamer and enjoy.

Not really trolling though, im an xbox fan who is not satisfied with Microsoft's output, they should be doing better

I am a PS/Xbox fan. I too am not satisfied with where MS is with their first party studio content. I'll just keep playing PS games, and hope that MS gives us what they promised in 2023.

I was trying to be nice I could have said they haven't got a single game worth playing but I didn't.

Well, that would be trolling. We don't need that now, do we ;)

so are you saying a bunch of FPS games that MS releases aren’t the same games skinned differently? Because that’s what the MS ecosystem looks like to me and to a lot of people: a place to play FPS bro shooter games and that the vast majority of the games look like variations of each other.

Where are all these awesome shooters MS is releasing that I am missing out on?

All I see is Halo Infinite, Gears 5. Fundamentally different games and experience.

Grounded was in early access on Xbox One in 2020.

Either you're missing the point or you're pretending to.

The problem is that by pushing that logic that everything is equal you basically say that Microsoft don't need AAA games. First in a commercial sense they do, but outside of that, most people won't only play games like Grounded on console. People saying "you only care about AAA" when it's basically the complete opposite, i feel i've been playing indie games forever on Gamepass and i want something ambitious that can push the hardware (because who else than Microsoft can provide that for its own console ?)

Push hardware is such a wierd concept. Each AAA game pushes hardware. It depends what your priorities are.

MS games start with gameplay, surround it with good enough visuals.

In contrast, something like Horizon Forbidden West starts with visuals, then surround it with good enough gameplay. You will notice this in difficulty imbalance. Always either too easy or too hard. Fleeting moments of perfect gameplay that gets broken when you do a few extra side quests.

Halo 6, Forza Motorsport 8, Gears of War 5, Forza Horizon 5, Crackdown 3. I agree, they only want countless sequels and nothing more.

Each new entry offers generational leap.

Have you compared Halo 5 to Infinite?

Top Bottom