• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: "If Xbox can't beat PS5 this holiday, I'm not sure it ever will"

Dolodolo

Ouch. Enough of these conversations.
Playstation will always sell more than Xbox. It doesn't matter how many consoles they have.
Playstation is a much more popular and big brand name. It's just a fact.
There will be a lot of great games on the xbox, but the new Spider-man 2 will sell more than they all put together except the Tes 6.

It's just the reality of the market. Most people don't care about Gamepass these days. Perhaps in the future, this may change, but when will it come? When will this future come?

And stop talking this nonsense about the fact that Microsoft does not care how many new xboxes will be sold. They care right now.
Most hardcore pc gamers don't care what Gamepass is.
They only care about Steam. Their library is in Steam.
Therefore, Microsoft is trying to shove its subscription everywhere. Even on your refrigerator. This is why they are investing so much in the cloud. Hoping that mobile players will give it a try. And the tales of 2 billion players will become a little closer to reality

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Valid points, but I think double dippers are a minority. The hardware is being sold out mostly likely because there is such a limited supply and you have millions upon millions of people wanting to upgrade to current generation consoles.

Yeah, not everyone is going to buy a $1000 PC, but if they are struggling to find a PS5 or XSX, they might decide to if they want to play games in a timely manner. If those unique and exclusive games on consoles end up on PC day one with the best performance and graphic fidelity, I feel that will make the consoles less appealing and unique. Xbox games on PC seemingly even affected XBOX One hardware sales.

Based on what happened with Microsoft, Sony could share a similar fate. Lots of people are playing Forza Horizon 5 on PC. There goes some XBOX hardware sales right there. We’ll see what happens when the consoles are in more supply though because I could be totally wrong.
Xbox had xbox one disaster. Pc didn't really affect them that much.

If Xbox didn't suffer from Xbox one disaster, you would have seen more people support Xbox and pc relationship.

Major appeal of consoles are the easy set up. Tv, hdmi, and account for the console store. With pc, you have to deal with window, your graphic cards, and all other pc stores. For casuals, console will be better choice.

Three

It might seem like nit-picking, but it isn't. There's a big difference between "PS5 is profitable" and "PS5 is being sold at a profit".
Mr.Context not getting the context. You're clearly not following the conversation properly

Who the hell cares about HW sales when you make exactly 0 dollars off of console sales? In the past manufacturers even lost money on every console sold.

This is only true for the beginning of the console generation. PS5 is most likely already profitable the PS4 was profitable too early on

You think this isn't about per console sold still?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Playstation will always sell more than Xbox. It doesn't matter how many consoles they have.
There will be a lot of great games on the xbox, but the new Spider-man 2 will sell more than they all put together except the Tes 6.

It's just the reality of the market. Most people don't care about Gamepass these days. Perhaps in the future, this may change, but when will it come? When will this future come?

And stop talking this nonsense about the fact that Microsoft does not care how many new xboxes will be sold. They care right now.
Therefore, Microsoft is trying to shove its subscription everywhere. Even on your refrigerator. This is why they are investing so much in the cloud. Hoping that mobile players will give it a try. And the tales of 2 billion players will become a little closer to reality
You had me at the start but lost me in the middle.

Playstation is a much bigger brand and will for the foreseeable future outsell Xbox unless something ridiculously unheard of happens to Playstation. Same way iPhones are gonna keep being the best selling phones every year, exact same reasons. You're spot on about that.

Just give me great games! If we get good games from both than everybody wins! Stop being silly by limiting yourself to one brand. Why would you do that? Only reason is if your a child who is unable to freely purchase what you want.

jm89

The simple fact of the matter is that the console that has the most availability is the console that will sell the most. They will fly off the shelves either way, but whoever has the most available to buy wins.

It's really that simple.
Xbox series s consoles are plenty available in the uk and Europe. They are not flying off shelves but collecting dust. Retailers are even offering discounts to get them off shelves.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Hardware sales don’t matter but one only sells more because of stock and not demand, wait one has stock but let’s forget that one exists because, physical sales don’t matter but that’s ok because game sales don’t matter anymore, revenue doesn’t matter because in the future revenue might be different, profit what’s that? etc etc etc

Basically there can’t be no intelligent discussion around the business anymore because a set of fans rewrite the rules of the market on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
I think there is a huge fallacy in premise of this article, since "winning" means something different to Sony and MS. When Sony would "win", when they would sold the most consoles/games. MS would "win" when there would be surge with new GP subs. So I don't think this works.

I think it's way more important what content companies put out. And for me personally MS has been on roll in second half of the year and Sony was on the roll in fist half of the year. So again "winning" is....you are winning, you who reads this. You got to play the great games, there is no bigger win in the gaming industry, than to have great games to play.

Winning means the same thing for both of them: €$¥. They have shareholders.

spons

Gold Member
PS5 can't beat the Switch. There's about 30 Xbox Series S consoles at a local Media Markt in bumblefuck, Netherlands. Game Pass is relatively successful. Sony is bringing their games to PC.

No idea how this all fits together, but it's probably good for the consumer.

PS5 can't beat the Switch. There's about 30 Xbox Series S consoles at a local Media Markt in bumblefuck, Netherlands. Game Pass is relatively successful. Sony is bringing their games to PC.

No idea how this all fits together, but it's probably good for the consumer.
The entire industry is thriving. Only console warriors are bickering about whose daddy has the bigger dick.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Winning means the same thing for both of them: €$¥. They have shareholders.

In every industry it’s the size and revenue of a market that counts, except in videogame forums where hopes, wishes and the need for validity trumps everything else.

Last edited:

plip.plop

This is a silly statement to make at a time when both system are supply constrained. Plenty of people in the wild want either system but can't find one, and refuse to pay scalper prices. Talk of sales shouldn't start until anyone can walk into a store, and just pick one up.

KAL2006

Banned
What an odd take, both systems have supply shortages so you can't really compare which is doing better. It's now basically who can build more systems in this case Sony is building more than Microsoft.

Hezekiah

Banned
FH5 is going to surpass GTS players very soon

Also you cannot put Sony and Nintendo sales together since Nintendo copies were sold mostly at the full price and not at discounted sales and bundle sales like Sony.
Weird that you big up Nintendo for rinsing Switch owners by never putting their games on sale, but don't acknowledge that many Forza players like myself are playing the game (and others) very cheaply via subscription 😄.

JLB

Banned

Blockbuster, Atari, Kodak, Nokia, Blackberry, Xerox and many others learned the hard way how ephemeral is the nature of that word.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If that 5 million are sales then it's impressive but something tells me that a racing game (even a very good one) will not put up numbers better than a game in the universe of one of the most popular superhero franchises

Last night it was at 5.7M people playing. It'll probably surpass 6.5M next week.

Did a check on 🇸🇪Swedish🇸🇪 stores and scalpers PS5 vs XsX.
XSX: From one of my Retail store memberships I would be able to get XSX right now 5695kr, on scalpers market 6700kr for XSX(box unopened).
PS5: No chance on Retail, from scalper 8300kr(box unopened).

Thirst for PS5 is real.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Players =/= sales 🤔

So now a healthy player base for your games means nothing.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist

Blockbuster, Atari, Kodak, Nokia, Blackberry, Xerox and many others learned the hard way how ephemeral is the nature of that word.
All these companies failed because they refused to get with the times.

Sony isn't run by simple-minded morons. They'll be fine as long as they know what their customers want from a product.

Edit: Of course shit can happen and companies can fail for any reason.
I'm just pointing out that the comparison to Nokia and the others isn't really relevant.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Xbox series s consoles are plenty available in the uk and Europe. They are not flying off shelves but collecting dust. Retailers are even offering discounts to get them off shelves.
That is true. I've actually seen one used at Gamestop for $279. I revise it to being between the XSX and PS5. Whichever of those two are most available wins.

Three

So now a healthy player base for your games means nothing.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF
Sure, that's what you're worried about. Healthy player base. So why did you draw a comparison to bloody Spiderman sales with Forza's player base?

What would a "healthy player base" of 6.5M sales gain you in a single player game?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What an odd take, both systems have supply shortages so you can't really compare which is doing better. It's now basically who can build more systems in this case Sony is building more than Microsoft.
Correct, Sony is likely getting priority at TSMC since they've been a drastically larger client than MS.

JLB

Banned
All these companies failed because they refused to get with the times.

Sony isn't run by simple-minded morons. They'll be fine as long as they know what their customers want from a product.

Edit: Of course shit can happen and companies can fail for any reason.
I'm just pointing out that the comparison to Nokia and the others isn't really relevant.

"what their customers want from a product."

Ah, of course, if any company has always the answer to that there will be no failing businesses in the world. But not Sony nor any other company has the crystal ball. reality changes all the time, you might not be prepared for a shift and all of the sudden you can be out of business. Thats why big corpos tend to diversify, they know better than no one that shit could - and eventually- will happen.

Lognor

Banned
Racing on closed circuits is generally more satisfying. Just because Horizon is popular doesn't mean people don't play these games. Heck most eSports racing titles including GTS are closed circuit racing games. Horizon is just a arcade game not realistic, it's for everyone, but closed racing games not.

The way you describe it, looks like you've never every played a GT game. You can get licenses in-game by doing driving skills exercises. This has been the case for years, but you can also play the game without it, only you will unlock a lot with it. So you have heard something from "someone" while you have no idea what it is about. Forza 7 is totally not better than GT Sports and is way more popular.
That's what I'm saying fh is for everyone. Closed circuit racers like gt are not. Back in the day gt was huge on ps2. But that popularity has faded over the years. Now these arcade racers are more popular and that's not likely to change with the release of the next gt. These other closed circuit racers haven't exactly done well.

Fh and other arcade racing games are the future

Futaleufu

I wonder how this affects other racing games publishers like Ubisoft, EA and Sony. There are too many players ready to invest time in a AAA open world racing game

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sure, that's what you're worried about. Healthy player base. So why did you draw a comparison to bloody Spiderman sales with Forza's player base?
Because it shows how many people are playing the game?

Most people buy game consoles to play games on them.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That's what I'm saying fh is for everyone. Closed circuit racers like gt are not. Back in the day gt was huge on ps2. But that popularity has faded over the years. Now these arcade racers are more popular and that's not likely to change with the release of the next gt. These other closed circuit racers haven't exactly done well.

Fh and other arcade racing games are the future

While i play Horizon 5 on PC. I can't say i feel that i am racing all the time. Some challanges are fun with the enviroment, but for me it's still closed circuit racing>arcade over the top flying over mountains with hyper cars.

MonarchJT

Banned
in Italy Series S,X and PS5 are constantly sold out ...the only console available in huge quantities is the switch (any model, OLED, OG and lite)

MonarchJT

Banned
While i play Horizon 5 on PC. I can't say i feel that i am racing all the time. Some challanges are fun with the enviroment, but for me it's still closed circuit racing>arcade over the top flying over mountains with hyper cars.
I'm sure that a Gran Turismo Horizon would double the sales of any classic GT

Three

Because it shows how many people are playing the game?

Most people buy game consoles to play games on them.
Ok I mean no shit people buy consoles to play games on them but let me refer back to what was being said:

Already outsold DS and R&C by a mile. And it might even beat Spiderman MM if you give FH5 some time.
Last numbers we got for Spider-Man: Miles Morales was 6.5M. There are 5M people playing FH5 right now. FH5 could pass 6.5M by Monday, especially with the holiday tomorrow.

So why are you trying to show that FH5 will outsell (key word being outsell) Spiderman with FH5 player numbers then attack a strawman about nobody caring about "healthy player base". As if anybody showed any concern about that at all.

I hope FH5 does really well and it really seems to have but you need to stop using incorrect metrics.

Player numbers on a leaderboard don't even mean a good player base. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not sayin FH5 is actually a flop or anything, but gamepass and PS+/Now changes the meaning of these metrics. I play Call of Duty modern warfare remastered almost every single day. One of my favorite games. Its leaderboards have 16M players. It probably had a massive influx of players too just like FH5s 5M especially when offered as part of a sub for people to check out. It's hard to get into any lobby on some game modes in it. The leaderboard number can grow massively and never comes down but its active players is a different beast. That's the metric you're looking for in a healthy player base. Not cumulative leaderboard numbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom